Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Darth Walrus posted:

Remind me, did our mortgage-backed stuff go boom in 2007/8, or was that just the hilariously under-regulated interaction between the American housing and banking sectors that hosed everything up for everything else?
It was the american stuff that went boom. British mortgage default rates remained very low throughout the crisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Oberleutnant posted:

I don't think it's a problem of administration or infrastructure, just a problem of getting 70 or 300 million people to keep up with the sheer volume of poo poo the government does on a daily basis (locally, regionally, and nationally) and take an active interest. I'm not saying it's a reason not to do it, it's just a difficult element.

technocracy + direct democratic and recall power in a constitution is the smooth tasting blend of freedom

Darth Walrus posted:

Remind me, did our mortgage-backed stuff go boom in 2007/8, or was that just the hilariously under-regulated interaction between the American housing and banking sectors that hosed everything up for everything else?

London was selling utter shite, it was the idiot Americans who got caught holding the bag when it went off. Then everyone realised they, too, were holding terrible bags.

Toxic mortgages were a problem, the scale and depth of the problem was due to it being global. No way out, essentially.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Via something I'm doing at work just now 've stumbled across this:

Licensed Victuallers' School posted:

The school has 3 day houses, Whitbread, Bell's and Courage, and 4 boarding houses, Bass, Carlsberg, Guinness and Gilbey. The school is co-educational and currently has 900 pupils aged 4–18
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Licensed_Victuallers%27_School

:magical:

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

When does Douglas Carswell actually do the work he was elected for? He is on tv everyday.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oberleutnant posted:

Via something I'm doing at work just now 've stumbled across this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Licensed_Victuallers%27_School

:magical:

So assuming it's school year ages 4-17 (since they'll be 5-18 when the year finishes) that's 13 years and dividing 900 by 13 gets... 69 students per year... niiice.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
There is absolutely nothing to worry about the mayor of London dumping toxic assets into pension funds. There is no London housing bubble. Nobody could have forseen it.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Tesseraction posted:

So assuming it's school year ages 4-17 (since they'll be 5-18 when the year finishes) that's 13 years and dividing 900 by 13 gets... 69 students per year... niiice.

Isn't it more interesting that they are all names / brands of alcoholic drinks?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Dead Goon posted:

That and the the school is owned and operated by a liquor trade association.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
It's the UKMTest boarding school.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

LemonDrizzle posted:

It was the american stuff that went boom. British mortgage default rates remained very low throughout the crisis.

Isn't that because of the way our banks re-sold those lovely mortgages to the international markets?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Dead Goon posted:

Yes, but the subtle 69 is worth noting IMO.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm in house Kropotkin at the UKMTest boarding school. It's pretty messy because everyone just puts their coats in a pile.
I used to be in house Hoxha but I got expelled for doing revision.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
From what I recall of the American catastrophe it was based on the assignment of risk based on credit history but the (self regulating) mortgage industry decided that having no credit history meant no bad credit history, and consequently assigned those with no history the lowest possible risk when selling those mortgages to other entities lol

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Big Short is a very good movie.

You may still be able to find it in cinemas if you're lucky, too.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Oberleutnant posted:

From what I recall of the American catastrophe it was based on the assignment of risk based on credit history but the (self regulating) mortgage industry decided that having no credit history meant no bad credit history, and consequently assigned those with no history the lowest possible risk when selling those mortgages to other entities lol

Haven't heard that myself but considering some of the other software/conceptions of the housing market that I've heard (like investment software crashing if you tried to input a negative change in value) it's possible.

Much of the explosion in trading subprime was a result of a theoretical formula which showed that a sufficiently diverse mix of property types all contained in one investment package actually had incredibly low to no risk attached because as each of the property classes were independent of each other the chances of a general collapse was mathematically impossible/very remote.

Naturally the whole real estate market collapsed together and here we are.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
The financial crisis was a result of overly intrusive regulation of markets by interfering government busybodies who refuse to acknowledge that A does in fact equal A

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Also scroungers. And immigrants.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Tony Blair wanted less regulation in the Banking Sector and he won three elections. This proves he was right.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
well if you think about it the people who run the banks are professionals, so if they want to leverage 90% of their customers' deposits for investment in self-regulated financial industry at no risk to themselves they probably know what's best and should be left to it. Government = inefficiency.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

all the bankers I know are coke abusing alcoholics with serious personal issues and not one of them trained in finance or econ, it's the strangest industry

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
How do they get the jobs then? Nepotism? Occult ritual?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Connections and/or dumb luck. Much like in most other industries.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Guavanaut posted:

You tend to just need some maths (so a science, maths, etc) rather than an economics degree. Most bankers don't actually do anything skilled.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
God look how much more divided people view the Labour party under Corbyn compared to 5 years ago. Oh wai..

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
I distinctly remember a mate of mine who's something fairly important at Barclay's drinking most of a bottle of whisky and screaming "what does all this mean!?" at a table full of scribbled notes at 3am on the morning of a multi million pound meeting. None of them have a loving clue what they're doing.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Calling shotgun on Great Khan of Stoke

Guavanaut posted:

I used to be in house Hoxha but I got expelled for doing revision.

:golfclap:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Oberleutnant posted:

well if you think about it the people who run the banks are professionals, so if they want to leverage 90% of their customers' deposits for investment in self-regulated financial industry at no risk to themselves they probably know what's best and should be left to it. Government = inefficiency.

Nothing has annoyed me more in my entire life than conflation of "professional" with "expert" (and the partner pair, "amateur" and "novice").

Any fool can charge a fee.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Oberleutnant posted:

It's the UKMTest boarding school.

It lacks a Fluo Memorial Bursary.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Fans posted:

Tony Blair wanted less regulation in the Banking Sector and he won three elections. This proves he was right.

this is more than a little revisionist. in 1996, between Barings, BCCI, and Morgan Grenfell & Co., there was remarkably little elite patience with city self-regulation and the (perceived) excessively close relationship between the Bank of England and the industry. New Labour steadily pushed through the FSA as a state regulator from 1997 to 2000, when it finally successfully passed the Financial Services and Markets Act, over much City and Tory screaming

this is of course not what old Labour would have done, but New Labour was (being New Labour) partially adapting Thatcher's own attack on the City as too clubby to be reliably self-regulating, rather than adhering to older Labour doctrines of overt nationalization.

Clause IV did not say: thou shalt establish a regulatory state for the public good amidst private ownership. It said: thou shalt establish common ownership of the means of production, distribution, and exchange.

two decades after the fact, if you're sitting here in the glorious future chomping at the bit for "regulation" rather than "nationalization+economic central planning of national capital toward full employment", then you've already bought into the neoliberal policy universe of New Labour. That, or you've forgotten you're British rather than American.

ronya fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 7, 2016

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

namesake posted:

Haven't heard that myself but considering some of the other software/conceptions of the housing market that I've heard (like investment software crashing if you tried to input a negative change in value) it's possible.

House prices can only go up uP UP

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If anyone wants a hearty laugh at how loving stupid The Saurus is he's currently in the GOP primary thread accusing people who won't vote for Trump as being liberals who don't care about the poor.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
So for those of you who hate yourselves and therefore watch question time:

What the hell is it people are expecting when they say they haven't had enough information about the EU? It always feels like they just want to be given a direct answer of which is better without realising the whole reason there's a vote is that there ISN'T a direct answer.
I really can't wrap my head around the people who, when there's a disagreement around something, decide that both sides are wrong and there isn't an answer.

poo poo like that is why direct democracy wouldn't really work.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Plush French hotel turns away British royal family

Once again, France shows the correct way to deal with royals :france:

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

ronya posted:

two decades after the fact, if you're sitting here in the glorious future chomping at the bit for "regulation" rather than "nationalization+economic central planning of national capital toward full employment", then you've already bought into the neoliberal policy universe of New Labour. That, or you've forgotten you're British rather than American.

what if we skip the full employment bit as a total impossibility amidst use of capital and adopt central planning ideas towards mincome replacing the benefit system as a permanent provider of counter-cyclical velocity

is that post-Keynesian enough for you

Taear posted:

So for those of you who hate yourselves and therefore watch question time:

What the hell is it people are expecting when they say they haven't had enough information about the EU? It always feels like they just want to be given a direct answer of which is better without realising the whole reason there's a vote is that there ISN'T a direct answer.
I really can't wrap my head around the people who, when there's a disagreement around something, decide that both sides are wrong and there isn't an answer.

Direct democracy doesn't work in any system where information is suppressed, in a direct democratic system you'd need to enforce a proper state press with the job of supplying information. Given that newspapers are basically dead, this would have to be rethought, especially since I struggle to believe anyone not versed in IT from a young age would be able to process that amount of digital information, leaving "the internet" as a problem-riddled solution.

A constitutional technocracy bound to act on a leftist agenda is the only reasonable solution to the problems of the modern state. That or Tsarism, which seems to be working pretty well for Russia within it's own failed economic confines.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 7, 2016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Full employment is wholly possible, although primarily under a war economy. Call me optimistic but I'm sure we could find a way to make a war economy work outside of an environment where we're getting bombed to poo poo from time to time.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
EU referendum: Former Bank of England governor Mervyn King suggests he could vote for Brexit

Graun live blog posted:

Mervyn King, the former governor of the Bank of England, has suggested that he could vote to leave the EU. In an interview on the World at One, he claimed he had not yet made up his mind as to how he would vote in the referendum. He appeared to criticise the government and Remain/Leave campaigns for not setting out the arguments properly. He said:

"I think that you and the BBC have a vitally important role here because the protagonists don’t seem to be capable of setting out carefully and dispassionately the arguments. We need the BBC to explain to everyone the arguments for and the arguments against. There are good arguments for both sides of this debate."

Asked to give his own objective analysis, he said he would need a two-hour programme to do that. And, when asked if he had made up his own mind yet, he replied:

I’m still waiting to hear the facts and the arguments from I hope the BBC which will enable me to make up my mind.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would be OK with taking economic pointers from Metal Gear Rising. I don't think it could really be much worse than the current approach.

Former Bank of England governor expresses understanding of concept of democracy, espouses capacity to cast vote in election.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 7, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Taear posted:

Yes. That's what they want.

Understanding massive systems that are way outside of your control and involve numbers of people orders of magnitude higher than Dunbar's number is daunting. Dealing with organizations that put out more reports than you could read in a lifetime every week makes direct analysis impossible. And then asking you to make one of two rigid choices based on that? It's human nature that camps and demagogues form around this type of thing. Then stereotypes of the camps form and people put out feelers to see which one their own internal worldview meshes closest with, but that becomes very hard when you have one camp that holds everyone from 'kippers to anarchists and another that holds everyone from Cameron and the big banks to pan-European nationalists.

There is no right choice, there's a less wrong choice and a more wrong choice, but for who? That changes significantly depending on whether you're talking about me personally, my family, my city, my ethno-religious group, Glorious Britane, Europe, or the world. It's understandable that people are just going to grab on to one of those and go with the overall flow of what they're saying.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

If anyone wants a hearty laugh at how loving stupid The Saurus is he's currently in the GOP primary thread accusing people who won't vote for Trump as being liberals who don't care about the poor.

Since I figure it might get lost in the mists of time, here we go:

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

bad news: we've seen his agenda published on his website and it's the same pro-business nonsense the Republican Party has been spouting for decades-- cut taxes on the wealthy, slash social programs, and eviscerate health care (despite what he said at the debate, his website indicates he wants to bring back pre-existing condition denials).

The only areas he deviates are in things he can't possibly do, like exit NAFTA, which I'm sure the Chamber of Commerce-controlled House will love.

The Saurus posted:

using words like SLASH and EVISCERATE makes his moderate reforms seem really scary, good plan

except he's not going to cut social security and medicare, and will have the federal government negotiate for drug prices, and allow drugs to be imported from overseas to massively lower medication prices

also he doesn't want to destabilize country after country like Hillary does causing untold death and destruction, but I guess liberals have never really cared about people in poor countries

The man who called us liberals and said he was the one true communist is claiming that Donald Trump, who says he's going to cut healthcare, isn't going to cut healthcare, and then rails on about wars overseas as if Trump hasn't said he'll torture suspected terrorists and kill their families.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Spangly A posted:

what if we skip the full employment bit as a total impossibility amidst use of capital and adopt central planning ideas towards mincome replacing the benefit system as a permanent provider of counter-cyclical velocity

is that post-Keynesian enough for you

I'm not sure how you'd reconcile central planning with market-embedded mincome, save in the most nebulous Eastern-European-pre-1989-vintage neoclassical socialism. We've never gotten to see how that works out. And besides, if you take marginal-effective-tax-rates-in-the-benefit-system concerns that seriously, how post-Keynesian could you be, really? The paradox of costs - the Kaleckian thesis that higher wage rates increase the rate of profit, cet par - would be really hard to create.

also I've heard it whispered that if you wring your hands enough about benefit systems of any kind as permanent providers of counter-cyclical velocity, you are reincarnated as a German central banker with the words "automatischer stabilisator" tattooed across your forehead. We've seen how well that works; there's possibly something to be said for Anglospheric discretionary macroeconomic policy. So I would not put too much stock there.

• Locked thread