Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

PirateDentist posted:

Cool, thanks! Now to find a base.

No bases that size. Just lasercut a HDF or acrylic circle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Pierzak posted:

No bases that size. Just lasercut a HDF or acrylic circle.

There's a local guy that makes laser cut MDF terrain and simple acrylic bases. I've asked about custom sizes before and he's willing to make a one off so it'll match the rest of what I'm rebasing my army to. I just wasn't sure what size it was supposed to be officially.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

PirateDentist posted:

Cool, thanks! Now to find a base.

Did it not come with a base?

Cat Face Joe fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 8, 2016

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cat Face Joe posted:

Did it not come with a base?

The old one doesn't.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 7, 2016

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

WAR FOOT posted:

Posthumans 4 &5, and the Posthuman rule changed to only take up one slot, similar to a doctor+servant

Sweeeeeeeet.

I hope they re-do the models for these too. I love the idea of the posthumans but the mechanics for them are terrible.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

WAR FOOT posted:

Su Jian can transform at the start or end of a move action, akin to rising from prone/going prone.

Except going Prone is always at the beginning of your Move.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Kanren:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 8, 2016

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
Total Dad.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

wanna field that dad

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
I'm not wild about it, but I'm perfectly fine with this being the lowest standard, as it would be the highest in almost any other line.

I've got to say that CB has so far really kept on the wagon in terms of getting models out the door every month.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Sale at Miniature Market right now. Lotta infinity stuff at 50% off.

https://www.miniaturemarket.com

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Cyclomatic posted:

I'm not wild about it, but I'm perfectly fine with this being the lowest standard, as it would be the highest in almost any other line.

I've got to say that CB has so far really kept on the wagon in terms of getting models out the door every month.

Agreed.

I also realize that not every model on the table needs to be, or even should be, a centrepiece model. Kind of like the Nisse Hacker last month. It's a cool, functional looking unit but not competing with your Su Jian or Yan Huo in terms of sheer coolness. There's no reason why you're supporting units should look bad, and this guy does look good. But I don't think he's going to inspire anyone to start a Yu Jing army compared to the recent Hac Tao troops or the Guija Squadrons. You know... personal preferences and all that.

Is this the unit that had it's stats "leaked" in that hard to read con photo? I didn't strain to hard to see it as I don't play Yu Jing.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Cat Face Joe posted:

Even after shipping to the UK those are some good prices, the new CA starter box with shipping is still 30% cheaper than my usual online retailer. Thanks for making me spend money I guess.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Cat Face Joe posted:

Got the drone box :homebrew:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

richyp posted:

Thanks for making me spend money I guess.

Its fine, I bought the Hungries even though I'M TOTALLY NOT STARTING A NEW ARMY

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Cat Face Joe posted:

Its fine, I bought the Hungries even though I'M TOTALLY NOT STARTING A NEW ARMY

I haven't yet played/probably wont even play at this rate and I have the Nomad and Morat starter boxes along with several Nomad and CA blisters/boxes painted up and now another starter box on its way just so I can paint them. Think I might have a problem as since Feb I've bough and painted up:

3 Morat Vanguard
1 Sogarat
1 Raktorak
1 Oznat
1 Zerat Sniper
1 Shasvastii Noctifier
3 Alguaciles
1 Alguacil Vortex Lupe Balboa
1 Mobil Brigada
1 Spektr
1 Grenzer
1 Reverend Healer
2 Interventors and FastPandas

In the post I've got the Moderators of Bakunin box and now the newer CA Starter Box :sweatdrop:

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Not a viking posted:

Got the drone box :homebrew:

And they're sold out now. :downsgun:

ThreeLefts
Dec 27, 2012

Sir Teabag posted:

Agreed.

I also realize that not every model on the table needs to be, or even should be, a centrepiece model...etc words etc

My sentiments exactly, now if the fluff would reflect that just a wee bit more. When everyone is special, no one is.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Holy shitfuck that Su Jian is absolutely incredible. I have been barely keeping an eye on Infinity for about a year but Christ the new models are nice.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Cat Face Joe posted:

And now the USAriadna box is the deal of the day for $55.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
Going to be facing a lot more dronebots and Squalos thanks to this sale.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Cross posted from Malifaux:

Anyone know good gaming stores in the Seattle area? I'm visiting next month with an eye to maybe move there and looking for possible playgroups/stores. Doesn't have to be specifically Infinity groups.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Hey, anyone else playing Haqqislam in Operation: Flamestrike? I could use some backup in trying to coordinate efforts. Also, if anyone is playing Nomads, our factions should totally team up and stop fighting over the spaceport. <3

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Signal posted:

Hey, anyone else playing Haqqislam in Operation: Flamestrike? I could use some backup in trying to coordinate efforts. Also, if anyone is playing Nomads, our factions should totally team up and stop fighting over the spaceport. <3
Yeah, I am. Which reminds me, I need to submit my battle report from Sunday.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Ended up getting operation Icestorm and the USAriadna from the sale, couldn't turn down $60 and $55 respectively. Figure with the Combined Army I have that'll be enough to demo two different styles to try and get local people interested.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

ineptmule posted:

Holy shitfuck that Su Jian is absolutely incredible. I have been barely keeping an eye on Infinity for about a year but Christ the new models are nice.

Come back into the fold - Human Sphere should be updated and re-released within a month or two, and poo poo is going great!

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Genghis Cohen posted:

Come back into the fold - Human Sphere should be updated and re-released within a month or two, and poo poo is going great!

Excuse my noobish questions but as someone new to Infinity who's interested mainly in the models but loves glossy stuff, what did/will the Human Sphere books contain?

I got Operation Icestorm primarily for the models and to try and convince my missus to play (non-GW) spacemans with me but as it only comes with the starter rules I was looking at the hardback books and saw Human Sphere and Paradiso (which I believe is their narrative campaign). I know HS is being redone for N3 but what did the previous version add to the base game and will it have lots of shiny background stuff or do I need to get the main rulebook for the fluff?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Would using Deadzone's terrain be a misstep due to the uniformity of the size? It's modular and all the sides are 2.5 inches since the game is played in 2.5 inch cubes. Would that be too much of a cheat with premeasurement?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

JoshTheStampede posted:

Cross posted from Malifaux:

Anyone know good gaming stores in the Seattle area? I'm visiting next month with an eye to maybe move there and looking for possible playgroups/stores. Doesn't have to be specifically Infinity groups.

You are in luck, because Seattle has an excellent store in the form of Card Kingdom. Plus there is the Mox Boarding House (same organization, different location) over on the east side of the lake. CK is where I play, and there are active Malifaux and Infinity communities (though Infinity has been quieter while waiting for the new book).

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 9, 2016

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Would using Deadzone's terrain be a misstep due to the uniformity of the size? It's modular and all the sides are 2.5 inches since the game is played in 2.5 inch cubes. Would that be too much of a cheat with premeasurement?

I don't think it matters. You already start each turn by measuring the entire table for red moves. The Moto.tronica terrain is of known size, the table is a known size, the deployment zones and objectives are of known size or positions, you already know the size of every other piece of terrain you've played with already.

Honestly, no pre-measure is an absurd shibboleth for beards. There is a mountain of evidence that games with pre-measure work and play faster, and keeping some degree of pre-measure out is literally impossible in and game where terrain is on the table.

Basically, it is a dumb rule that likely is in to appease beards, and one of the reasons it is dumb is because you can't respect the intent and play with the same piece of terrain twice. So just use it and don't lose sleep over it. It isn't cheating anymore than everyone else is already cheating.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Cyclomatic posted:

I don't think it matters. You already start each turn by measuring the entire table for red moves. The Moto.tronica terrain is of known size, the table is a known size, the deployment zones and objectives are of known size or positions, you already know the size of every other piece of terrain you've played with already.

Honestly, no pre-measure is an absurd shibboleth for beards. There is a mountain of evidence that games with pre-measure work and play faster, and keeping some degree of pre-measure out is literally impossible in and game where terrain is on the table.

Basically, it is a dumb rule that likely is in to appease beards, and one of the reasons it is dumb is because you can't respect the intent and play with the same piece of terrain twice. So just use it and don't lose sleep over it. It isn't cheating anymore than everyone else is already cheating.

O_O. Wow...

I can get behind stopping pre-measuring to prevent the "Most optimal positioning" from slowing the game down. Pre-measuring weapon ranges for example would be a lovely thing to do.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
In total seriousness: please don't start fighting over premeasuring. I might prefer it if Infinity just let you measure freely, but it doesn't, and I got enough of that shitfight with the loving miserable ZoC threads on the official forum. Declare intent, get close, move on.

Don't worry about terrain making it too easy to guess distances though. Premeasuring isn't a thing in Infinity, sure, but it's not like people don't constantly guess (quite accurately) based on terrain they're used to. Use the terrain you can get. It's just a logistics thing.

e: Side note: I got into X-Wing in the past 1.5 months and it's really funny how easy it is to guess distance and plan spacing in X-Wing after a couple years of playing Infinity.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 10, 2016

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Corbeau posted:

it's not like people don't constantly guess (quite accurately) based on terrain they're used to
That's why I like to design my stuff in weird dimensions. Why, go ahead and use the mat for premeasuring, it's printed in 83.6% to help you :v:

Corbeau posted:

Declare intent
You're not helping. :cheeky:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 10, 2016

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

Exmond posted:

O_O. Wow...

I can get behind stopping pre-measuring to prevent the "Most optimal positioning" from slowing the game down. Pre-measuring weapon ranges for example would be a lovely thing to do.

I'm not going to get into a big argument about it, but plenty of people play Infinity with pre-measure, and it works just as well as any other game with pre-measure. Which is to say that in practice it plays faster.

Objectively, yes that terrain is the same as using a ruler for terrain. So it is absolutely cheating. Same argument applies to every piece of terrain though, so make of that what you will.

flamingweedle
Oct 8, 2010
Hey. I have the minis from Icestorm. Tunguska interventors. and Guarda de Assalto. What else should I pick up for a somewhat even game?

I also have https://matsbymars.com/collections/bundlesaurus-rex/products/bundlesaurus-rex-ruins-and-rubble?variant=9890357829 and http://www.worldworksgames.com/store/index.php?view=product&product=163. Do you think I can jam the terrain together to make a workable board?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

flamingweedle posted:

Hey. I have the minis from Icestorm. Tunguska interventors. and Guarda de Assalto. What else should I pick up for a somewhat even game?

I also have https://matsbymars.com/collections/bundlesaurus-rex/products/bundlesaurus-rex-ruins-and-rubble?variant=9890357829 and http://www.worldworksgames.com/store/index.php?view=product&product=163. Do you think I can jam the terrain together to make a workable board?

Points-wise they're about the same WYSIWYG, assuming you run the Guarda with multirifle and the Father Knight as a basic variant.

Not sure about the terrain. 40k-style ruins are terrible for Infinity, if you play with those it's best to rule random holes as shut, otherwise you'll be stuck checking LOF half the time.
Catwalks are useful, but what you need most for Infinity is basic solid buildings. Just boxes with a fancy texture and some weight so they won't move around when you look at them funny. And a ladder or two.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Pierzak posted:

Points-wise they're about the same WYSIWYG, assuming you run the Guarda with multirifle and the Father Knight as a basic variant.

Not sure about the terrain. 40k-style ruins are terrible for Infinity, if you play with those it's best to rule random holes as shut, otherwise you'll be stuck checking LOF half the time.
Catwalks are useful, but what you need most for Infinity is basic solid buildings. Just boxes with a fancy texture and some weight so they won't move around when you look at them funny. And a ladder or two.

The way my group rules it (since we play with mostly 40K terrain) is that models can see in and out of buildings (given appropriate windows/doors/openings) but not through them.

flamingweedle
Oct 8, 2010

Pierzak posted:

Thanks, those are good points. I still have the paper terrain from icestorm. I'm hoping I can mash it all together into something. The malifaux terraclips has block terrain buildings and some ladders.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

richyp posted:

Excuse my noobish questions but as someone new to Infinity who's interested mainly in the models but loves glossy stuff, what did/will the Human Sphere books contain?

I got Operation Icestorm primarily for the models and to try and convince my missus to play (non-GW) spacemans with me but as it only comes with the starter rules I was looking at the hardback books and saw Human Sphere and Paradiso (which I believe is their narrative campaign). I know HS is being redone for N3 but what did the previous version add to the base game and will it have lots of shiny background stuff or do I need to get the main rulebook for the fluff?

So the Human Sphere book released in 2nd Edition was an expansion of the core rules, it introduced the concept of sectorial armies (sub-factions), a new faction (Aleph) and plenty of new skills, weapons, equipment, units etc for everyone. Also, and this is a big thing if you play a sectorial army, it contained Link Team rules (moving 3-5 models of the same unit as a temporary squad).

There was a book at the end of 2nd Edition called Campaign:Paradiso, which as well as campaign rules introduced even more skills/weapons/equipment/units, another new faction (Tohaa) and a new sectorial (Aleph's Steel Phalanx) together with the slightly unique Link Teams used by those factions. All the non-campaign stuff from this is also expected to be folded into N3's Human Sphere book.

In summary: It'll be a re-edit, re-tweak of a lot more skills, equipment, units etc which currently are still in their usable, but less clear, 2nd edition form. Probably a chance to further rebalance the game. Definitely a good overhaul of Link Team rules, which are a big part of the game. Definitely some brand new units thrown in.

All this will of course be free online, but there will be a print-only fluff book included which will obviously have re-edited and brand new background, artwork etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
There's lots of new special rules coming, too, such as Surprise Shot L2, Lieutenant L1, 2 & 3 (But I don't know how blended with AF the LT levels are going to be), and Holo3.

e: Holo3 is fun. It's Holo2+Holo1. So, if Patroclus is in a duo with Achilles, it can look like 4 Achilles are linked with each other.

• Locked thread