Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I have a feeling that this might be a good set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Sickening posted:

I have a feeling that this might be a good set.

yeah

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

jassi007 posted:

That is true. While that is true, it is also true that it is super obvious to anyone who pays attention to formats and the metagame that there is a problem that needs fixed and we're all just waiting until this future date for someone to fix it. It is only a game and all, so it isn't like we can't do something else, but it is just weird that a majority of players and WOTC all agree that action is needed, but WOTC says "we just have to wait for this date we set." I get the logic of not just acting rashly or prematurely, but I think it is safe to say we're beyond that point. We've seen a lot of games online, at events etc, we know the issue isn't one that can be solved by players and new strategies/decks/etc. Acting at this point would no longer be considered hasty or premature. Right now there is an odd choice "play this broken deck" or "just wait for another month" I find a company that tells me to check back with them in a month to enjoy their product which they currently acknowledge isn't working is odd, when they could fix it today. I guess they don't want my money?

They don't want to suddenly ban out the person who splurged a little to buy the deck in time for GP Detroit.

They could easily change the date, and I think it would make sense to, but changing the date because of a specific already existing deck is close enough to an emergency ban as to be worrying to some

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

More importantly, here are some garbage rules changes about DFCs.

Matt Tabak posted:

DOUBLE-FACED CARDS RULES CHANGES
We tweaked three things about DFCs this time around to smooth out some edge cases. Oh, did you skip to this section from the top? Yeah, we say "DFCs" now. We cool like that. This part gets a bit technical, but we'll be back in "Happy Mechanic Preview Land" soon, I swear.

1. Converted mana cost

Remember when I said that the characteristics of the face that's up are all that matter? That wasn't quite accurate. Under the new rules, the converted mana cost of the back face of a DFC is based on the mana cost of the front face. (Previously, because the back faces lacked mana costs, their converted mana costs were all 0.) The one exception is if something is a copy of the back face of a DFC, its converted mana cost is 0. So If I control Insidious Mist, it has no mana cost, but its converted mana cost is 4. If I then put a copy of Insidious Mist onto the battlefield, that copy's converted mana cost is 0.

2. Entering the battlefield transformed

A few effects can put a card onto the battlefield transformed. This means to put it on the battlefield with its back face up. Starting with this set, we have a new rule that if you're told to put a card that isn't a DFC onto the battlefield transformed, it just stays where it is. This may affect a few cards in this set, but I think the Magic Origins planeswalkers illustrate the change nicely. (This is code for "The cool cards in this set I could use to illustrate this haven't been previewed yet." I know. I feel the same way.) Say you control a Clone that's copying Jace, Vryn's Prodigy, and you activate faux-Jace's ability with four thousand cards in your graveyard. Well, four thousand is "five or more," so faux-Jace dutifully exiles himself. Then he tries to return transformed, but in exile he's just a single-faced Clone. He's not a DFC, so he gets detained at the border and remains in exile. I hope the card you drew was good, because this wasn't a great play otherwise.

3. No flippy-floppy

I've saved our most technical change for last. Here's the new rule: if a DFC has an activated or triggered ability that transforms it, that permanent transforms only if it hasn't since that ability was put on the stack. What does that mean? For example, say you activate Elusive Tormentor's ability, then you activate it again in response. Why? Because you want to discard a lot of cards. Why? We're almost there. Relax. The first ability to resolve will cause Elusive Tormentor to transform, as expected. But the second ability won't, as Elusive Tormentor has already transformed because of the first ability.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Elusive Tormentor is cool as gently caress. Also I guess Nahiri is hanging around and not actually Avacyn.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

jassi007 posted:

That is true. While that is true, it is also true that it is super obvious to anyone who pays attention to formats and the metagame that there is a problem that needs fixed and we're all just waiting until this future date for someone to fix it. It is only a game and all, so it isn't like we can't do something else, but it is just weird that a majority of players and WOTC all agree that action is needed, but WOTC says "we just have to wait for this date we set." I get the logic of not just acting rashly or prematurely, but I think it is safe to say we're beyond that point. We've seen a lot of games online, at events etc, we know the issue isn't one that can be solved by players and new strategies/decks/etc. Acting at this point would no longer be considered hasty or premature. Right now there is an odd choice "play this broken deck" or "just wait for another month" I find a company that tells me to check back with them in a month to enjoy their product which they currently acknowledge isn't working is odd, when they could fix it today. I guess they don't want my money?

Ok, so let me ask you then. What is your end game in the Modern format? Obviously, the goal of the game is to win faster than your opponent can so in that context what form of achieving that goal is acceptable to you and the community.

Obviously, things like Twin and Amulet could win the game quickly so the community complained until cards were banned. Now, people are playing Eldrazi because of it and the same people are complaining about it and want the cards from it to be banned.

At what point does this link of thinking stop? You kill the Eldrazi decks and then people will start brewing new powerful decks that go infinite and dominate the format once again creating this never ending loop of "unfair decks"

Will you ever view the format at completely stable with no needed changes or revisions? Like Sigma said people will spend $500 on these decks only to have them abolished months down the line and people are going to abandon the format more than they already are.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Thing in the ice playable in legacy?
4 mana means bolt doesn't hit it, so it definitely goes in modern delver
especially with the mass-unsummon

Elusive Tormentor is too mana intensive though. Will be fun in limited.
1-mana Squire with investigate probably goes in my Pauper cube too.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Ok, so let me ask you then. What is your end game in the Modern format? Obviously, the goal of the game is to win faster than your opponent can so in that context what form of achieving that goal is acceptable to you and the community.

Obviously, things like Twin and Amulet could win the game quickly so the community complained until cards were banned. Now, people are playing Eldrazi because of it and the same people are complaining about it and want the cards from it to be banned.

At what point does this link of thinking stop? You kill the Eldrazi decks and then people will start brewing new powerful decks that go infinite and dominate the format once again creating this never ending loop of "unfair decks"

Will you ever view the format at completely stable with no needed changes or revisions? Like Sigma said people will spend $500 on these decks only to have them abolished months down the line and people are going to abandon the format more than they already are.

I don't have a strong view on WoTC's stance re: Eldrazi bans, but just wanted to point out that conflating the reasons why Eldrazi will/should have pieces banned out to bring it back to earth with those for why Amulet/Twin was nerfed isn't really fair.

And it's entirely reasonable to have your end game in Modern not be a format in which almost 50% of day 2 decks are not the same archetype.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Thing In The Ice seems really good. The rest are all pretty cool. Warped Landscape is a cool piece of fixing, might even make it to standard if there are enough low decks in 3+ colours.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I don't have a strong view on WoTC's stance re: Eldrazi bans, but just wanted to point out that conflating the reasons why Eldrazi will/should have pieces banned out to bring it back to earth with those for why Amulet/Twin was nerfed isn't really fair.

And it's entirely reasonable to have your end game in Modern not be a format in which almost 50% of day 2 decks are not the same archetype.

But, the only reason these Eldrazi decks exist is because of the bannings to Bloom and Twin which at the time were dominators in the format.

No one was playing Eldrazi in the Bloom/Twin world of Modern. These decks are a direct result of those bannings. By banning Temple/Eye you're going to wreck these decks and people are just going to brew some new format dominating deck which people will play and then we're back to the initial argument of what cards should we ban now since everyone is playing (insert new deck)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

mehall posted:

Thing in the ice playable in legacy?
4 mana means bolt doesn't hit it, so it definitely goes in modern delver
especially with the mass-unsummon

I think it might be. That is a SUPER strong card. It seems so easy to flip in legacy.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

But, the only reason these Eldrazi decks exist is because of the bannings to Bloom and Twin which at the time were dominators in the format.

No one was playing Eldrazi in the Bloom/Twin world of Modern. These decks are a direct result of those bannings. By banning Temple/Eye you're going to wreck these decks and people are just going to brew some new format dominating deck which people will play and then we're back to the initial argument of what cards should we ban now since everyone is playing (insert new deck)

Counterpoint: I'd argue that a big reason no one was playing Eldrazi (in its current, broken, form) until after Twin/Amulet was banned was because like 1/3rd of the deck hadn't been released yet.

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 7, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

What.

a) Eldrazi was a deck, albeit not a dominant one, before.
b) Eldrazi would likely have still become the best deck in a format with bloom and twin because the actual reason it became better was due to cards released in Oath.
c) Bloom was certainly not a dominant deck, and I'd argue Twin wasn't either.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Guess I was wrong about CH2.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

I'm so hyped for this set. Cool top-down designs that are interesting mechanically and possibly actually good cards, mad angels wrecking poo poo, I love it all.

Reaper of Flight Moonsilver is basically a Fallen Angel reprint in white with Delirium. That flavour!

Warped Landscape looks kind of bad at first, but being untapped probably makes it better than evolving wilds late game when your colors are already fixed and getting a land in your graveyard helps enable Delirium. Evolving Wilds is probably better overall though. I'm curious if they thought Evolving Wilds was too good with Delirium.

Holy poo poo the flavor on Magnifying Glass.

Red/Black Madness looks more and more like a draftable deck, which is awesome.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Missed this somehow:

E:

quote:

Warped Landscape looks kind of bad at first, but being untapped probably makes it better than evolving wilds late game when your colors are already fixed and getting a land in your graveyard helps enable Delirium. Evolving Wilds is probably better overall though. I'm curious if they thought Evolving Wilds was too good with Delirium.
Warped Landscape is actually Terminal Moraine fwiw

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

The issue with the eldrazi deck isn't just speed. If it was infect would be equally as bad. Magic is build on effects having certain costs. You can't get a 5/5 for 1 mana. You can get a 1/1 or a 2/1 generally. Conversly, a spell that costs 1 mana that kill creatures, will almost always kill a 1 mana creature. Obviously exceptions exist like Deaths shadow and phyrexian whatever the 12/12 but they have obvious drawbacks etc.

A deck with fast cheap threats like infect can be dealt with by simple poo poo like lightning bolt. Infect has to play in a very certain way to not just get wrecked by simple removal, or hope that the opponent plays in a way which they can just go BLAP!

Eldrazi doesn't work like that. They don't have to wait for you to tap out, and the effective mana cost of their threats don't line up at all with the reactive cards in the game. TKS is effectively a 2cmc creature. Most 2 cmc creatures should die to bolt or have some conditional nature about them. Like 'goyf is the obvious 2cmc creature that breaks this rule, but the more aggressive your deck is the less powerful goyf is. You have to find a way to get 3 different card types in a gy before he's bigger than what 2cmc can buy otherwise. He's only 2cmc but to be the 3/4 or 4/5 you probably aren't playing a speed game.

Eldrazi don't have to do anything other than put certain lands in their deck, which have NO drawback to their deck to break the cmc construct the game has.

It isn't about "how fast it kills" it is about playing cards on turns where other decks don't have tools to deal with them effectively. In addition to being cheaper than they should, the cards have UPSIDES not downsides. Cards that are too cheap should be worse than average, not better. a 2cmc 4/4 should make you discard a card, not your opponent. a 3 cmc 5/5 with haste and trample should be easier for your opponent to kill, not harder. The deck is bonkers broken because it has cheap stuff with upsides that most spells on curve can't deal with.

As far as the format, it probably isn't possible for it to be stable because they keep printing new cards. I think 2015 was pretty loving close to stable. In an alternate universe where they make no bans in January a lot of pro's are trying out bloom, but some group probably still brings eldrazi and it is still super good and still ends up needing banned. 2015 saw multiple decks get very good. lantern control was proven a real thing, amulet bloom was good (i'm really on the fence about too good or not) and twin evolved and grixis actually got good enough to play as a non-twin deck, and that was real cool. I'd say the post BFZ pre-twin/bloom bans was the best metagame of modern i've played and i wish that was where we were at right now. The wasteland strangler/oblivion sower eldrazi deck was probably good enough. Take away all the OGW creatures and the deck just isn't that broken honestly. mimic/tks/smasher are DUMB when powered out by eye/temple.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Elyv posted:

What.

a) Eldrazi was a deck, albeit not a dominant one, before.
b) Eldrazi would likely have still become the best deck in a format with bloom and twin because the actual reason it became better was due to cards released in Oath.
c) Bloom was certainly not a dominant deck, and I'd argue Twin wasn't either.

If Twin and Bloom weren't dominant decks why were they banned?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Procrastinator posted:

More importantly, here are some garbage rules changes about DFCs.

The third one is OK I guess (it's not really a huge detriment or anything) but the first 2 are garbage yeah.

I can't Repeal flipped Delver's/Jace's for X=0 anymore? Not to mention the whole Clone thing. Bullshit.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

80s James Hetfield posted:

because they didn't know the eldrazi would invade the pro tour so they had to do something to make sure the metagame looked different.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The actual answer is that Thought Knot Seer, Reality Smasher and Eldrazi Mimic hadn't actually seen print yet but okay let's blame it all on Twin being banned

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
http://www.purplepawn.com/2015/11/magic-digital-next-in-development-by-hasbro/

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Bloom was banned because it's a deck that doesn't fit with their vision of modern since it's a turn 2-3 combo deck. If you look at representation in events, it was a tier 1 but lightly played deck. You would see 1-2 in top 8 sometimes and sometimes it would win, but that was it. Twin was, I think, 10-15% of the metagame? I think they wanted to shake up the format.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 7, 2016

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

jassi007 posted:

because they didn't know the eldrazi would invade the pro tour so they had to do something to make sure the metagame looked different.

I'm only asking as an interested party and as someone who doesn't really know the format. But if what you're saying is true then what are the chances they would unban them

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I like how they changed the CMC of DFCs but isn't create a reminder bubble for them like they do with p/t. (It's so they can change it back when they realize the change is poo poo)

I also like the potential feelbads when someone puts a dead weight on the elusive tormentor. :evilbuddy:

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

big props to the red almost-aquamoeba

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Cernunnos posted:

The third one is OK I guess (it's not really a huge detriment or anything) but the first 2 are garbage yeah.

I can't Repeal flipped Delver's/Jace's for X=0 anymore? Not to mention the whole Clone thing. Bullshit.

I legitimately don't see the reason for those two changes. If anything, the first one includes an extra memory issue. Okay, "memory issue" might be overselling it since you only have to glance at the front face of the card to remind yourself, but what's the upside to making this change?

On the other hand, did we know what the new Madness reminder text was going to be? I don't think I saw it before, but the wording they came up with is pretty elegant IMO.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Counterpoint: I'd argue that a big reason no one was playing Eldrazi (in its current, broken, form) until after Twin/Amulet was banned was because like 1/3rd of the deck hadn't been released yet.

I don't know if Bloom and Twin could've handled it since Thought-Knot Seer is really loving rude to removal-light combo decks.

No, something is terribly loving wrong with Eldrazi Aggro and it's actually why bans exist. We can go back to the regular ban discussion when there isn't this monstrosity that needs it.

I love this. I want to use it in something.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

I'm only asking as an interested party and as someone who doesn't really know the format. But if what you're saying is true then what are the chances they would unban them

They won't. bloom never did something like what the eldrazi are doing, that indicates it is broken. But it was a deck that could just win and there was no way you could stop them on turn 2 or 3, so in that sense it had a HUGE ban me target on it. If you think about the metagame and overall win % for decks, twin would fluctuate between 5-15%. However there is almost always a deck/decks in that range. Twin was never consistently 15%+ of the metagame which is where I'd really start to go (this is probably broken) The truth is, people hated playing against amulet and twin, because sometimes nothing you could do would prevent you from losing quickly to them. Twin required everyone to pack specific hate cards for it or to have generally good removal for it. Those are the strongest reasons they both got banned, because sometimes they did things that were to powerful and were just not fun.

personally I never minded playing against twin or with it. Twin being gone has just opened up a huge void in tempo/control decks. But that may not be permanently true, we don't know what the metagame "should" look like because eldrazi broke it. Which is why the wait till april thing sucks, because it'll take a couple months after that for the metagame that should exist to exist, so really we should have a solved metagame around now, we'll get a good idea of what the real modern metagame post twin/bloom is in like May/June. So its not just a couple months or 3 months, its basically 1/2 of 2016 modern is in chaos. Hope you didn't care for it as a format.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Investigate is a sweet, sweet mechanic and I think that a mana rock with 6: draw a card has some cool potential in standard.

There's a lot of payoff for that 0/4, but it needs to stick around for at least a turn in Legacy without being StPed or Decayed and those seem like two of the more important deck matchups for it.

Are there any decks with Daze and Force that have horrible Elves or D&T match-ups? The former especially.

And there's been a suicide aggro deck in Modern for ages that runs 4 Probe, this seems like major :gas: for it, and surviving Bolt in general puts it a long way towards being a Modern card.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So are the pointy-headed rocks that are showing up everywhere supposed to be an Emrakul thing or just something Nahiri is doing, or both?

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

And there's been a suicide aggro deck in Modern for ages that runs 4 Probe, this seems like major :gas: for it, and surviving Bolt in general puts it a long way towards being a Modern card.

why isn't death's shadow a horror :(

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
They're called "liths" and not at all related to the Lithomancer I'm sure.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
They're Herons

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

It's something Nahiri is doing. She invented the Hedrons as well. My guess is the eldrazi thing is a red herring and she's doing something related to Innistrad and the source of all the curses and monsters. She seems to be amplifying all the curses and turning the angels into bloodthirsty killers.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Warped landscape has nahiri swinging her sword around so it is probably her.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Elyv posted:

Missed this somehow:

Best green common.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

You can actually see Nahiri in the land's art, so uh, probably liths.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Judging by the packaging Jace/Sorin/werewolf lady are the planeswalkers for this set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I don't know why people want a new Emrakul that is guaranteed to be a worse version of the original. I mean Ulamog only got a buff since the OG version set a really low bar.

• Locked thread