Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Redeye Flight posted:

There is one important difference--firing accurate broadsides is very intimidating. Number for number, it's no different from ripple firing, but people will behave differently under broadside fire. Something to keep in mind.

As for dispersion, no, sometimes your turrets will just make weird and impossible shots. I like to think threatening to fire all your gunners helps.

On the other hand, if you've got a ship with a fast reload and hit them non stop for like a 100 hit combo, it's going to drive them nuts even if you're not doing a lot of damage. It can be useful if a friend is setting up a torpedo attack because they're not looking at the map when they are under a constant stream of fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

When battleships are on, it makes for some big numbers.

+50% XP flag and x2 first win.

When the round ended, I had 4 shells in the air heading towards the center of the Myoko. Which had less than 200 health left. Ah well.

Only took me 4 straight losses to get a team that didn't melt completely when they first encountered the enemy. My favorite was one game where our Hiryu decided to just charge straight forward at the start and commit suicide. :smithicide:

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
New personal best for me in terms of damage.

100% win/loss with this ship so far over 5 games averaging over 100k damage, but my god if it isn't the most boring ship I've played. Forever reload on torps really makes for a boring game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Haven't played this in a good long while: is the Cleveland still decent? I'm assuming that I should still use mostly HE on it. Also, I heard the Mogami isn't all that anymore?

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Is the Aoba supposed to be able to Citadel equal tier Battleships consistently? I'm having a really hard time to do so unless i'm within 7km range of said battleship (which is definitely not the range I want to be at).

I am really like the Aoba so far, great accuracy and reload time, good maneuverability. HoweverI have yet to get thse amazing games in it.
Currently doing far better in the Fuso, at least after I got through that horrible horrible stock hull.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
I've been playing my Cleveland quite a bit, after taking a bit of a break from the game. Is it just me, or are the gun/turret upgrades terrible? There's no way I can keep those slow-rear end turrets on target, so improved ROF is of no use whatsoever.

I often find myself charging enemy cruisers, since I'm too scared to turn away and eat all those AP rounds to the side. By the time I've dodged all the torps, having those fast turrets to pump AP into the now side-on enemies is pretty nice. I got a four-salvo double kill earlier today, a total of 10 citadels, on a Furutaka and Omaha.

I also got my first boat-waifu, that yellow (not racist) Kongo. Seems like it's a fully upgraded one, instead of the usual stock version premiums like the Arkansas. I'm still a bit unclear what the anime is about, the wiki page is pretty terrible.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Evernoob posted:

Is the Aoba supposed to be able to Citadel equal tier Battleships consistently? I'm having a really hard time to do so unless i'm within 7km range of said battleship (which is definitely not the range I want to be at).

I am really like the Aoba so far, great accuracy and reload time, good maneuverability. HoweverI have yet to get thse amazing games in it.
Currently doing far better in the Fuso, at least after I got through that horrible horrible stock hull.

CAs citadeling BBs is not a thing that should happen all that often. Its a rare thing, at point blank range, and only really against IJN BBs. Your AP shells, however, will be fully capable of penning the ship's armor and dealing normal pen damage, which is significant when it adds up over multiple volleys. Your torps are a far more effective weapon against BBs than attempting to citadel it with 8 inch guns.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Decorus posted:

the anime is...pretty terrible.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

CAs citadeling BBs is not a thing that should happen all that often. Its a rare thing, at point blank range, and only really against IJN BBs. Your AP shells, however, will be fully capable of penning the ship's armor and dealing normal pen damage, which is significant when it adds up over multiple volleys. Your torps are a far more effective weapon against BBs than attempting to citadel it with 8 inch guns.

Ironically I've probably citadeled non-IJN BBs with 203s more than I have IJN BBs, and not necessarily at point-blank ranges at that*, but this is correct that it's not something you should be trying for. For one because the difference in damage between a citadel and a penetration isn't particularly large for cruisers - at least in regards to a battleship's health pool. If you happen to have them loaded, or think you'll be engaging enemy cruisers in the near future, it's not a wasted effort to fire AP at battleships, but HE is generally more effective because of the potential for fires that can eat huge chunks of health. Torpedoes are even more powerful of course, but you'll be exposing your own very squishy citadel to use them, so be very cautious when you use them.

*I've scored citadels at ~10-12 km range against Colorados and, on one likely stupidly lucky instance, a Tirpitz, so it's definitely possible, if improbable.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Lord Koth posted:

Ironically I've probably citadeled non-IJN BBs with 203s more than I have IJN BBs, and not necessarily at point-blank ranges at that*, but this is correct that it's not something you should be trying for. For one because the difference in damage between a citadel and a penetration isn't particularly large for cruisers - at least in regards to a battleship's health pool. If you happen to have them loaded, or think you'll be engaging enemy cruisers in the near future, it's not a wasted effort to fire AP at battleships, but HE is generally more effective because of the potential for fires that can eat huge chunks of health. Torpedoes are even more powerful of course, but you'll be exposing your own very squishy citadel to use them, so be very cautious when you use them.

*I've scored citadels at ~10-12 km range against Colorados and, on one likely stupidly lucky instance, a Tirpitz, so it's definitely possible, if improbable.

If you have a good angle to hit AP shells, you should be using them. HE is consistent, yes, but AP deals significantly higher damage and is less likely to be suffering from damage saturation, since you'll be penning into the midsection or bow/stern rather than firing into likely already damaged superstructure. But if your shells are coming in an angle where they're bouncing off the deck, but also bouncing off side armor, HE is the choice. Also if the target is angling on you.

And citadels on the Tirpitz with plunging shells aren't... terribly difficult. It has poor deck armor. Try it against its belt, I imagine its nearly impossible for 8 inch guns except at a perfectly perpendicular angle and some luck.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I don't know what is wrong with me but I dealt more average damage in my New York than I do in my Iowa.
North Carolina was my best battleship but I struggle to perform well with that giant fire and torpedo magnet.

And with stock hull and captain in training even Carriers see me as a XP Pinata.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

If you have a good angle to hit AP shells, you should be using them. HE is consistent, yes, but AP deals significantly higher damage and is less likely to be suffering from damage saturation, since you'll be penning into the midsection or bow/stern rather than firing into likely already damaged superstructure. But if your shells are coming in an angle where they're bouncing off the deck, but also bouncing off side armor, HE is the choice. Also if the target is angling on you.

And citadels on the Tirpitz with plunging shells aren't... terribly difficult. It has poor deck armor. Try it against its belt, I imagine its nearly impossible for 8 inch guns except at a perfectly perpendicular angle and some luck.

Funnily enough, while I know where and likely why my shells have penetrated on Colorados, I'm still not certain how I citadeled a Tirpitz at that range, as I never saw them hit - it was simply a parting salvo as I rapidly turned to head the other way. I have a guess though, and that is I think my shell may have actually hit underneath the belt armor, as he was executing a hard turn due to incoming torpedoes while my shells were in the air. I cannot be certain, as I don't actually have a replay of that battle, but it's my best guess since I certainly wasn't plunging any shells into his deck at 10 km.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

That was my assumption, thanks.

The Derzky has to be the most fun you can have at low tiers, even better than the St. Louis. I just rammed an island, and started making GBS threads torpedoes at enemy ships coming around both sides. 30 secs later I was dead, but so was a Kawachi and I got half health off a pair of St. Louis hulls. The Kawachi called me a "noob camper" and I'm so proud I made some unknown guy mad. :)

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Decorus posted:

That was my assumption, thanks.

The Derzky has to be the most fun you can have at low tiers, even better than the St. Louis. I just rammed an island, and started making GBS threads torpedoes at enemy ships coming around both sides. 30 secs later I was dead, but so was a Kawachi and I got half health off a pair of St. Louis hulls. The Kawachi called me a "noob camper" and I'm so proud I made some unknown guy mad. :)

Two nights ago I shot into the smoke and killed a low HP DD who immediately called me an "aim of fag" or something like that.

Also getting torp kills from launching into the smoke is great.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

wdarkk posted:

Two nights ago I shot into the smoke and killed a low HP DD who immediately called me an "aim of fag" or something like that.

Also getting torp kills from launching into the smoke is great.

I'm really bad at using smoke and the speed boost. I usually end up dead and going "Oh yeah, smoking up would have been such a good idea just now". Also, I've never survived a Derzky battle (0/6 so far).

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I wish there was a way to reset my warships.today stats. I bought the Atago back when I started the game so I alternated between tiers I-IV and the Atago. I did awfully with the Atago early on, but I feel I'm doing a lot better now. My Atago stats are all below the average though.

Otherwise, it says I'm "good" with cruisers. Go me.

http://warships.today/player/1006839667/na/Minenfeld1

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Sometimes your team just wants to lose, no matter what.
Sometimes you don't want to lose.
Sometimes you just have a konga line of CAs who can't help but show their citadels.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Do you have incredibly long load times despite the game being on an SSD?

Do you have Microsoft Security Essentials? If yes, is your real-time protection turned on?

Great! Turn it off and enjoy your NEAR INSTANT load times. Because if MSE is running, it will attempt to access all of the WOWS files on the disk and scan them when you try to load a match. :shepicide:

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

Tsurupettan posted:

Do you have Microsoft Security Essentials? If yes, is your real-time protection turned on?

Great! Turn it off and enjoy your NEAR INSTANT load times. Because if MSE is running, it will attempt to access all of the WOWS files on the disk and scan them when you try to load a match. :shepicide:

2nding this. Instead of turning it off all the way, I added the WoWs folder and WorldofWarships.exe to the scan exceptions list. Boy howdy do ships load hella faster in port now ! :shepicide:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Tsurupettan posted:

Quoting this so I can fix my poo poo tomorrow morning when I get home.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Tsurupettan posted:

The difference is amazing. :aaaaa:

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Just bought a New Mexico. What should I know about it?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Sperglord Actual posted:

If you're angled right you're drat hard to kill.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Sperglord Actual posted:

It continues the American BB tradition of being extremely slow with short gun range, but the changes to BFT/AFT mean you're not terminally out ranged and utterly picked to pieces by same tier cruisers anymore.

Also, try not to fight tier 7+ German cruisers in it, doesn't matter what angle you try to present, the all or nothing armour design means that you will always have spots that superior German AP shells can pen from all angles, which will gently caress you up pretty fast.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I had an abysmal series of games with the Yamato recently.

Closing in too early gets you killed cause you either eat torps or are burnt down. And bumbling around at long range for too long results in bad scores. When everything clicks together you can have amazing games in this ship, but just as often I find myself far out of position because of the torp scare. Pretty much the battle of Taffy 3 half the time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_off_Samar

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Advice fishing time ! I have yet to redo all of the following captains because I'm not exactly playing the game right now but hey I might start up again soon :downs: .

St Louis - 10 pts
Clemson - 8 pts
Arky B Dedicated Capt. - 3 pts
Omaha - 9 pts
New York - 8 pts
Cleveland - 10 pts
Independence - 10 pts
Murmansk - 7 pts

I was well on the way to getting AFT on the St Louis & Cleveland then the drat thing gets nerfed :argh: . Feel free to assume I will mostly be playing with goons but with some occasional soloing.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I used to play a lot in Beta and I hated the Furutaka grind, but now that I've upgraded the ship it doesn't seem so bad? Yeah, the turrets are slow as hell, the reload is abysmal and you have paper-thin armour, but it is pretty manoeuvrable and if you manage to get range on targets, you can certainly punch above your weight. You can pretty much citadel even tier VI cruisers and once you have the upgrade to improve AP damage/ROF, you can do a surprisingly amount of damage. Which is why I found it funny that in one of my last games I was facing another Furutaka, he was at full health and I was at half, but he was firing HE and I was firing AP: managed to citadel him which took off half his health and then won that particular duel. why would you take anything other than AP when facing users :iiam:

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Well, I think I might need to take a break, or free xp past the izumo. It's a ship that can't carry the team.

The last two games I've had our lone destroyer actually have a 31 rating on warships.today

31... over his lifetime he's 600, but 31... that's gotta be the lowest rating I've ever seen.

http://warships.today/player/1014845300/na/HongKong_Phooey

jownzy fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 7, 2016

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

jownzy posted:

Well, I think I might need to take a break, or free xp past the izumo. It's a ship that can't carry the team.

The last two games I've had our lone destroyer actually have a 31 rating on warships.today

31... over his lifetime he's 600, but 31... that's gotta be the lowest rating I've ever seen.

How do you get a 31? With ELO you kinda bottom out around 4-500 or so, to get a 31, you would have to likely actively kill friendlies every game.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

jownzy posted:

http://warships.today/player/1014845300/na/HongKong_Phooey

Are you sure you weren't looking at his increase over 57 days? His DD rating over that period increased by 32, while his rating today is still 522.

Be sure to check out his high level overview. "Mostly plays destroyers, rarely uses torpedoes, deals a small amount of damage." :laugh:

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

How do you get a 31? With ELO you kinda bottom out around 4-500 or so, to get a 31, you would have to likely actively kill friendlies every game.

No, for "today" it literally said 31... and had a black square next to it.

I assume it went up because I won the second game we played... despite the fact that he suicided into a tirpitz driving straight at him well past his detection range and then got one shot, as we were collecting the remaining points.

He's been playing a Benson... he averages 10k damage with it. AVERAGES.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Yeah that's insane. I think that's the worst player I've seen.

It's not uncommon to see people in the 8-900 range but jesus christ that guy is something special.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Tsurupettan posted:

I have Windows 10 which doesn't have MSE, but this problem still afflicts me. Windows 10 has Windows Defender built in instead, but it won't let me add any exclusions because reasons.

book
Nov 29, 2014

hopterque posted:

Yeah that's insane. I think that's the worst player I've seen.

It's not uncommon to see people in the 8-900 range but jesus christ that guy is something special.

I'm pretty sure WARBEASTY is worse. I haven't played in a while and was thinking of coming back. Has the meta shifted more towards DD oriented play or is that only at higher levels? I pretty much stopped at tier 7 (NC was only tier 8) and mostly played BBs.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

I have Windows 10 which doesn't have MSE, but this problem still afflicts me. Windows 10 has Windows Defender built in instead, but it won't let me add any exclusions because reasons.

I couldn't find it at first either, but the option is there. I didn't notice any appreciable difference however...

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

TSBX posted:

I couldn't find it at first either, but the option is there. I didn't notice any appreciable difference however...

Oh I did find the settings, the problem is all the options are both turned on and greyed out, and all the exclusion addition options on that page are also greyed out.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

NTRabbit posted:

Sure it does? I just set it after reading that post and it works great.

Hit settings in windows defender, you get this screen where you can just add the entire WoWs folder:

e: What version of win10 are you running? I guess this might make a difference.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

If you have access to GPEdit, i.e. are running W10 Pro or above, use GPEdit.msc to go into the Group Policy settings and go to Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Windows Defender, and enable the setting named 'Turn off Windows Defender'. This is the best solution you can come up with, as it will completely switch off Windows Defender (forever) and you can run your own antivirus/antispyware solution with no interference, and no weirdness.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Gwaihir posted:

Sure it does? I just set it after reading that post and it works great.

Hit settings in windows defender, you get this screen where you can just add the entire WoWs folder:

e: What version of win10 are you running? I guess this might make a difference.

Windows 10pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

book posted:

I'm pretty sure WARBEASTY is worse. I haven't played in a while and was thinking of coming back. Has the meta shifted more towards DD oriented play or is that only at higher levels? I pretty much stopped at tier 7 (NC was only tier 8) and mostly played BBs.

You're right, WARBEASTY is worse, but only barely.

http://warships.today/player/1001205971/na/WARBEASTY