Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

caberham posted:

Try the beer there. It's surprisingly good and the bottle is beautiful.

And show up to whatever booking even 5 min before start. One thing I like about Japan is how on time everyone is. I was surprised that some restaurants refuse walk ins even when people are late and the tables are empty

You weren't impressed, you were really pissed off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
Thanks very much, DiscoJ, that was extremely useful!

Last question: we're having some difficulty with Sakura House. Does anybody know if the apartment listings on gaijin pot are trustworthy? Any other listings I should look at?

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
I was going to buy N'ex tickets now for our arrival in Tokyo Saturday 3/19 and I read this on the website (http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/nex/tickets.html):

"When traveling from Narita Airport, it is recommended that travelers purchase their N'EX tickets after arriving."

Is it safe to assume there will be seats available?

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
Oh and on a food related note. If you go to one of the crazy busy ramen places can you take it to go and not use up a seat? I have a feeling I will not be popular with my crappy chop stick skills and would prefer to not be rushed.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Heading to Japan on Saturday, I'll be in a town near Tokyo for 3 weeks.

Other than the usual nerd places, what else should I consider hitting? I hear the Robot Restaurant is pretty awesome.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

ManDingo posted:

I was going to buy N'ex tickets now for our arrival in Tokyo Saturday 3/19 and I read this on the website (http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/nex/tickets.html):

"When traveling from Narita Airport, it is recommended that travelers purchase their N'EX tickets after arriving."

Yes.

ManDingo posted:

Oh and on a food related note. If you go to one of the crazy busy ramen places can you take it to go and not use up a seat? I have a feeling I will not be popular with my crappy chop stick skills and would prefer to not be rushed.

Probably not. If you specifically want to experience a 'crazy busy place' then just go in and take as long as you need. If you just want noodles, then go to a less busy place.

Azubah posted:

Other than the usual nerd places, what else should I consider hitting? I hear the Robot Restaurant is pretty awesome.

Please give us a little more to go on. What kinds of places would you be interested in?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

You weren't impressed, you were really pissed off.

Then I was in Tokami and got convinced by the ways of JAPAN

ManDingo posted:

Lots of trains running everyday, like every half hour. And there are also different train companies operating in the airport. Just get tickets when you arrive, you will be fine.

ManDingo posted:

Take out is frowned upon in restaurants. It's just not a thing. If you worry about your lovely chop stick skills, bring your own set of cutlery and a pair of food scissors. It works for infants and it will work for you :waycool:

SpiderLink posted:

Thanks very much, DiscoJ, that was extremely useful!

Last question: we're having some difficulty with Sakura House. Does anybody know if the apartment listings on gaijin pot are trustworthy? Any other listings I should look at?

Paraphrasing another goon "gently caress sakura house" There's Airbnb or all sorts of alternatives in this day and age. I tend to side on AirBNB

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

DiscoJ posted:

Please give us a little more to go on. What kinds of places would you be interested in?

We're going to Akihabara, the Gundam museum, and Ghibli museum off the top of my head. I'm pushing to go to the Robot Restaurant, Square Enic cafe, and NIntendo/Pokemon centers too. I plan on checking out the suicide forest if my friend doesn't chicken out.

I'd like to check out some cool places, interesting shrines, decent food, etc. For instance is there a really good mom and pop place for food? Is there other places like Akihabara that isn't as crowded?

We'll be in Akiruno.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Tokami was full when I tried booking them. :( I have a reservation for shin instead.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Azubah posted:

We're going to Akihabara, the Gundam museum, and Ghibli museum off the top of my head. I'm pushing to go to the Robot Restaurant, Square Enic cafe, and NIntendo/Pokemon centers too. I plan on checking out the suicide forest if my friend doesn't chicken out.

I'd like to check out some cool places, interesting shrines, decent food, etc. For instance is there a really good mom and pop place for food? Is there other places like Akihabara that isn't as crowded?

We'll be in Akiruno.

Akihabara is crowded because every place that isn't crowded gets advertised on the internet and becomes crowded. Especially nowadays with the new influx of Chinese tourists. But Kanda is one stop over and really cool and low key with mom and pop restaurants. There's an amazing curry place, a kick rear end tonkatsu, and a spicier ramen restaurant. If you have never been to Tokyo, there are a bajillion places to go. Heck just walk along Nihonbashi and you find some nice restaurants.

If you are in Shinjuku, shout out to Tokyo hipster goon approved Mouyan curry - http://www.foodintokyo.com/0333715532/ I suppose if you are looking for mom and pop, then yeah, Kanda or other more residential areas along the JR line. Then again, most mom and pop places serve sentimental value instead of culinary value

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lol idk how you could get takeout ramen. Put it in a plastic bag in a bucket like a goldfish? As long as you're 1 person you should get seats easily.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Bring your own bowl, ask them to put the ramen in it instead. Eat it while walking down the street.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

ALFbrot posted:

Bring your own bowl, ask them to put the ramen in it instead. Eat it while walking down the street.

Please do this.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Big souvenir bowl with a neck strap

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
The bowl should read 自閉症の患者 on it.

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 8, 2016

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Azubah posted:

This place is about 100m from the robot restaurant: https://www.facebook.com/samuraimuseum.jp/

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

ManDingo posted:

start practicing your chopstick skills now so you will be less embarrassed and able to enjoy ramen :)

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You guys laugh but the "famous" udon places don't have much seating so you have to take your styrofoam bowl of udon and sit on the curb. I always laugh at busloads full of tourists lined up sitting on the curb like homeless people eating udon.

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

LyonsLions posted:

You guys laugh but the "famous" udon places don't have much seating so you have to take your styrofoam bowl of udon and sit on the curb. I always laugh at busloads full of tourists lined up sitting on the curb like homeless people eating udon.

It is our meibutsu, please respect our culture, tyvm.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

peanut posted:

Big souvenir bowl with a neck strap

Use one of those souvenir Duffy the Bear popcorn buckets from DisneySea

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su

Azubah posted:

Near Tokyo Dome, hit up the natural hot springs Spa LaQua. Take a day trip to Kamakura and rent a bike.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Azubah posted:

We'll be in Akiruno.

If you're in Akiruno, would be worth heading to Tachikawa for Showa Memorial Park. You'll also be near Mount Takao, which has this event this Sudnay: https://tokyocheapo.com/events/mt-takao-hiwatari-festival/. The town of Hachioji is also nearby and may be worth a bit of research. It's meant to be fairly nice from what I've heard (but I haven't actually been there before).

For Tokyo/nerd stuff, you should definitely go to Nakano Broadway. It's similar to Akihabara but in a more enclosed space. It may be less crowded than Akihabara, but Akihabara itself isn't usually *that* crowded unless you go on a Saturday/Sunday afternoon. It'll also be a little easier for you to get to since it's on the west side of the city (Akihabara is east).

There's also the Capcom Cafe in Shinjuku (Street Fighter-themed drinks, Resident Evil-themed food, etc.) and if you're going to Odaiba (which is where the Gundam statue and Gunpla showroom are), you might also want to check out the GAME ON exhibition. It's a traveling exhibition (originally from the UK) but it'll be in Tokyo for the next couple months and it'll give you a chance to try out the Playstation VR (need to get there early for the VR though).

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

My Kyoto time got cut kind of short. Are there any sightseeing things I can do in Kyoto at nighttime or does the city tend to shut down?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You can walk around Gion for a little bit and some of the major temples but you are missing out.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

caberham posted:

You can walk around Gion for a little bit and some of the major temples but you are missing out.

I'll have several hours the day after to look around as well but wanted to maximize my time there. Gion at nighttime sounds like it'll be really nice. Thanks.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's going to cost you, but try eating here

http://www.kyoto-tsuruya.co.jp/kyoto.html

The tempura is heavenly light and good.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

net work error posted:

My Kyoto time got cut kind of short. Are there any sightseeing things I can do in Kyoto at nighttime or does the city tend to shut down?

Fushimi Inari Shrine (shrine with thousands of the red torii gates) never actually closes. It's quite nice (if a little spooky in places) late at night. Much less people there too.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Starting from late march, Nijou castle in Kyoto has a night cherry blossom viewing event going on.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

DiscoJ posted:

Fushimi Inari Shrine (shrine with thousands of the red torii gates) never actually closes. It's quite nice (if a little spooky in places) late at night. Much less people there too.

Spooky is good!

Zettace posted:

Starting from late march, Nijou castle in Kyoto has a night cherry blossom viewing event going on.

Do they have specific dates set for that yet? I'm not going to be there during the forecasted bloom but a few days before.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
http://www.digistyle-kyoto.com/event/lightup/post_246.html

It looks like they'll be open this year staring from March 25th. I have no idea if the cherry blossoms will be blooming but there are art pieces to see and walking through the castle grounds at night is pretty cool on it's own.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

DiscoJ posted:

Nice view of the city from the mountain top as well. Just be sure to bring your own drinks because the vending machines are super expensive. Also there's no open bathrooms at night, so pace yourself!

As far as other night stuff, you could go down to Kamogawa River and [strike]get drunk[/strike] hang out. I know there's always a ton of people near the Sanjo bridge. Lots of foreigners too. I know Kyoto's nightlife probably isn't anything at all compared to Tokyo, but if you have time to burn it can be fun. :) Also that whole Sanjo/Shijo area has lots of shops, restaurants, and bars, so it's not like the town is completely dead.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

net work error posted:

Spooky is good!

A warning: Fushimi Inari has paths branching out into a large confusing forested area with many pretty hidden tiny shrines, but no light at all. I once got lost there as it was approaching sunset and had we not found a main path we would've gotten stuck there in complete darkness.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I'm going to be travelling between Hiroshima and Osaka on Wednesday 30/03 and would like to stop off at Himeji on the way. I have 3 questions:

1) Is it possible to do this via Shinkansen?
2) We will have suitcases, is there a place to store 2x normal size suitcases around the train station?
3) How long is appropriate to see the castle? 2 hours?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Vidaeus posted:

I'm going to be travelling between Hiroshima and Osaka on Wednesday 30/03 and would like to stop off at Himeji on the way. I have 3 questions:

2) We will have suitcases, is there a place to store 2x normal size suitcases around the train station?

1) yes but you may benefit from a special pass possibly, do the math (ie, jr pass)
2) yes coin lockers
3) try at least 3 hours or you'll be cramped on time

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If you don't have a special rail pass, you'll need separate Hiroshima-Himeji and Himeji-Osaka tickets.

Himeji is close enough to Osaka you could do it on a cheaper non-shinkansen train.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Vidaeus posted:

1) Yes, but make sure you get on the right one, since not all shinkansen stop at Himeji. Check HyperDia beforehand, or use this timetable.
2) There's a bunch of coin lockers of various sizes on the south side of the station, if I recall correctly (turn left after exiting the station).
3) I did it in three hours, and I still had to rush. On the other hand, I went when it was extremely busy (Sunday + great weather + one of the first weekends after the renovations had ended), so the whole castle was basically one big queue.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

Nice view of the city from the mountain top as well. Just be sure to bring your own drinks because the vending machines are super expensive. Also there's no open bathrooms at night, so pace yourself!

As far as other night stuff, you could go down to Kamogawa River and [strike]get drunk[/strike] hang out. I know there's always a ton of people near the Sanjo bridge. Lots of foreigners too. I know Kyoto's nightlife probably isn't anything at all compared to Tokyo, but if you have time to burn it can be fun. :) Also that whole Sanjo/Shijo area has lots of shops, restaurants, and bars, so it's not like the town is completely dead.

This person is a cool person. Just saying

Vidaeus posted:

Yeah someone mentioned larger coin lockers but the cooler thing to do is to use the black cat service and send your bags to your destination without lugging it across train stations

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
RIghto, thanks for the tips. I already have a JR rail pass, and I'll have a look at the luggage delivery service, see if it suits us.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I posted a few pages back asking for tips on my 2 week visit to Nagoya starting this Saturday. Well there's a 95% chance that it will balloon into a 4 week visit to Nagoya for work + 1 week of vacation in Kyoto or Tokyo in which my wife will fly out to meet me. So, now that I'll have weekends to kill in Nagoya, where my goons at? I'll be there from March 12 - April 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Visiting Japan Dec. 9th-23rd.

I'm just in the process now of looking at where to go, stay, what to do, etc. Anyone have any links that they found useful? Youtube series or anything? Places they stayed that they liked?

Probably going to be visiting Hiroshima->Osaka->Kyoto->Tokyo. Not sure where we're flying in yet.