Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Rhyno posted:

No I am genuinely curious if there's a backlash or anything. Like the wheelchair kid on Glee, didn't he get a poo poo ton of flack when people found out he wasn't actually crippled?

no idea, i wasn't trying to be snarky just offering an idea to some of the people viciously attacking troposphere and others here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Rhyno posted:

No I am genuinely curious if there's a backlash or anything. Like the wheelchair kid on Glee, didn't he get a poo poo ton of flack when people found out he wasn't actually crippled?

I know that the people who made The Danish Girl have caught a lot of flak for using Eddie Redmayne instead of an actual trans person. Wasn't helped by the fact that Redmayne got all over twitter sounding like the film was responsible for widespread interest in trans equality. Or that it came out the same year as Tangerine which was not only a movie about trans people but also managed to find multiple trans people to fill its roles.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I am also curious, do LGBT fans get angry when the actor/actress playing the gay character is not gay in real life?

LGBT in general?

Definitely the preference is for transgender characters to be played by transgender actors at least. Beyond that, I think it's considered fine for straight actors to play gay characters as long as the actor in question isn't a shithead about it. I think the community enjoys gay actors and gay characters though, and the two together are a plus.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Luvcow posted:

i like identifying with characters that feel things like emotions and love no matter who their particular interest is but seriously i don't get why some people itt are having a hard time respectfully listening to the opinions of other people. If someone says they see something one way then maybe just nod your head and try to understand there are different perspectives in life.

:shrug:

That said, this show has been a guilty pleasure for me though I'm not really a fan of the grounders having such large numbers or their complete disregard for such a small amount of time between nuclear war and a complete lack of continuing oral history and as such i haven't really watched much of this season.

I'm pretending it takes place 200 years after the attack instead on 100 years and please no one tell me different.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Rhyno posted:

I am also curious, do LGBT fans get angry when the actor/actress playing the gay character is not gay in real life?

Oh jesus christ

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Do we ever get a date on the Unity Day stuff? I don't think they ever say the Xth Unity Day, right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Iron Rose posted:

Oh jesus christ

Based on some of the discussions here and on social media I feel it is a valid question.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yes, some do. It's not a single group with a hive mind.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Yes, some do. It's not a single group with a hive mind.

I never assumed as much. I guess as a straight white guy it's harder for me to wrap my head around it.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
not many actors are openly gay because it could ruin their careers so it's a bit of a silly point

like just see how big of a deal it was for Ellen Page to come out. it's not very common.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

zoux posted:

I'm pretending it takes place 200 years after the attack instead on 100 years and please no one tell me different.

I'm guessing the 97 year time frame came from when they were still focusing on adapting the book, but before they threw it out to do their own thing.

With regards to Lexa's death, I have to say I feel sorry for Murphy. He has been on the ground for about six months and so far he was:
framed for Wells murder and almost hung
captured by the grounders and used to spread disease in dropship camp
had Raven try to offer him up to the grounders in place of Finn (deserved that one)
went on Jaha's crazy voyage and almost got killed by a water monster
locked up in isolation in a bunker for three months
tortured by Titus for information
and now he will be framed for Lexa's murder.

If there is anyone who needs to join ALIE 1.0s City of Light, its Murphy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Plus there's a pretty distinct split between that LG and BT in lots of cases. Bisexuals and trans people get plenty of poo poo from some gays and lesbians too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Plus there's a pretty distinct split between that LG and BT in lots of cases. Bisexuals and trans people get plenty of poo poo from some gays and lesbians too.

I'm not trying to lump everyone into one group, I'm just using the existing terms.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Boris Galerkin posted:

100+ new posts over night I thought the episode leaked and you were all talking about it but no it's just a bunch of idiots in here.

This thread is honestly hilarious right now.

Someone actually made this :lol:

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

WarLocke posted:

Just wait till the flamingo community hears of this!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

zoux posted:

:agreed:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Those flamingos are gonna be so disappointed when they find out that Fear the Walking Dead is boring as hell.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I watched one episode of Fear the Walking Dead when it came out and it wasn't interesting to me. That's my story.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

WarLocke posted:

totally not lady boners though :laugh:

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
I didn't know lady boners looked like flamingos, I have so many questions for my gyno now

ufarn
May 30, 2009

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I watched one episode of Fear the Walking Dead when it came out and it wasn't interesting to me. That's my story.
It was aggressively bad. I could only make it past one or two episodes.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
The Lexa thing aside I am really not digging this entire season as a whole. It seems like there are no characters to root for anymore. Maybe that's how the show always was, but it really feels like a ton of artificial drama/in-fighting for no reason and the only character motivations that make sense is the freaking AI that wants to conquer humanity.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

qbert posted:

The Lexa thing aside I am really not digging this entire season as a whole. It seems like there are no characters to root for anymore. Maybe that's how the show always was, but it really feels like a ton of artificial drama/in-fighting for no reason and the only character motivations that make sense is the freaking AI that wants to conquer humanity.
It's been really hard for me to get myself to watch the last handful of episodes. I usually end up doing it late-ish Sunday, dunno what it is. Lexa (and Clarke) were by far the most interesting thing on the show, and their chemistry (actors as character) was undeniable. The Pike plot is really clever on paper, but ... it's just there. It doesn't help that Bellamy flipped on a dime and became his second in command (what Mo Ryan referred to as an instance of the show's compression problems).

The 100 is an amazing show to binge, so maybe it's just that I'm watching it in a new way, but maybe it's just that the villain is too boring and abstract in this case; many characters feel like NPCs in a videogame more than independent characters who could replace Clarke as an interesting protagonist if need be.

I also feel like Pike suffers from two-dimensionality, or at least a sincere lack of attention on the writers' part. Maybe it's that he's supposed to appeal to people's basic instincts that the writers won't bother dwelling on him and fleshing him out, but that makes him more of a force than a person. And it's not easy to follow President Dante who was a very well-rounded sorta-villain.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I disagree, and deny that there was any chemistry between Clarke and the cardboard standee playing Lexa.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

qbert posted:

The 100 is known to cut corners when it comes to setup, because they feel justified they can bring the big shocking moments to bear to compensate. And sometimes or usually, it does, but it skips out on some of the necessary character work, which sometimes leaves our heads scratching.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I think the Pike situation was rushed because the show only had Lexa for a certain amount of episodes. They hurried the plot so they could get to this point before she was gone. Regrettable, but understandable.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

hollylolly posted:

I think the Pike situation was rushed because the show only had Lexa for a certain amount of episodes. They hurried the plot so they could get to this point before she was gone. Regrettable, but understandable.
True; it does feel like it's been on standby or treading waters.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

ufarn posted:

I also feel like Pike suffers from two-dimensionality, or at least a sincere lack of attention on the writers' part. Maybe it's that he's supposed to appeal to people's basic instincts that the writers won't bother dwelling on him and fleshing him out, but that makes him more of a force than a person. And it's not easy to follow President Dante who was a very well-rounded sorta-villain.

I think Pike is the Chancellor most true to Skykru values and beliefs though.

Skykru are a group of hardcore survivalists with all the focus, foresight, pragmatism and ingenuity of a colony of resource starved astronauts. It'd make sense that Pike and the others easily identify what some of Arkadia's long term problems are, such as the lack of food and defensible terrain, and be happy to do whatever it takes to achieve those goals. Like others have pointed out, Arkadia's current safety and security depended on the word of a single girl. The other grounders were happy to kill them all without a thought and unless Arkadia can secure their position in the world with force, it's just a matter of time before they get wiped out.

The children might not have developed that mindset yet but the adults should definitely be willing Pike voters that just wanted to protect a future for their children and their children's children.

The problem is that none of it really comes across and they've been all like, lol grounders aren't even people, let's kill then all!

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Kegslayer posted:

Skykru are a group of hardcore survivalists with all the focus, foresight, pragmatism and ingenuity of a colony of resource starved astronauts. It'd make sense that Pike and the others easily identify what some of Arkadia's long term problems are, such as the lack of food and defensible terrain, and be happy to do whatever it takes to achieve those goals. Like others have pointed out, Arkadia's current safety and security depended on the word of a single girl. The other grounders were happy to kill them all without a thought and unless Arkadia can secure their position in the world with force, it's just a matter of time before they get wiped out.

The children might not have developed that mindset yet but the adults should definitely be willing Pike voters that just wanted to protect a future for their children and their children's children.

The problem is that none of it really comes across and they've been all like, lol grounders aren't even people, let's kill then all!
I can definitely see the premise of him - he missed the mellowing transition between "float the fuckers" and "we need to join forces with the Grounders", but it just feels like someone's hitting the rewind button than adding anything new and interesting. After all, Ice Nation are also a very season 3 addition, and they also sorta came out of nowhere in a way that hasn't been bridged too organically.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

When you say Skikru you are being animes.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kegslayer posted:

The other grounders were happy to kill them all without a thought and unless Arkadia can secure their position in the world with force, it's just a matter of time before they get wiped out.

Strictly speaking didn't the whole grounder/skykru war start due to the rockets the kids sent up to say they were ok? I seem to recall them managing to hit and destroy multiple grounder settlements, which is why the warband went on the march in the first place.

If skykru would just stop murdering grounders this whole thing might just work out.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kegslayer posted:

Arkadia definitely should have moved into Mt Weather. gently caress the grounders. We took it, we are keeping it. Don't like it? Tough poo poo.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

WarLocke posted:

Thats wrong, they are culturally appropraiting those flamingos.

Its wrong!

EDIT: also calling "Deus Ex AI"-esk ending as the end for series 3.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 7, 2016

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Azhais posted:

Strictly speaking didn't the whole grounder/skykru war start due to the rockets the kids sent up to say they were ok? I seem to recall them managing to hit and destroy multiple grounder settlements, which is why the warband went on the march in the first place.

If skykru would just stop murdering grounders this whole thing might just work out.

The flare they sent up, after Bellamy broke the radio, to try and prevent the readjustment of the census on the Ark landed on a village and burned it down. They did spear Jasper before that, so I'd have called it even at that point.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

TyrantWD posted:

The flare they sent up, after Bellamy broke the radio, to try and prevent the readjustment of the census on the Ark landed on a village and burned it down. They did spear Jasper before that, so I'd have called it even at that point.

It was implied that by approaching Mt Weather that the "100" casued the grounders to attack them.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The Pike stuff honestly sucks and Lexa's actress leaving sucks, but the City of Light plot, which I first thought would be the bad one, is more then making up for it. I like the new mythos.

Also holy gently caress the Ark were just total dicks from second one, huh

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I mean not for nothing but the Polaris crew did a really poo poo job there. "Begin docking now or we will shoot you out of the sky". "Ok, just hold on a minute.". "...begin docking now or we will shoot you out of the sky.". "Yeah that's cool, just give us a minute.". "....no really, dock now or we are totally blowing you the hell up.". "Yeah I see where you are coming from, but also one more minute.". "Well, guess it's time to kill a bitch." "NO WAIT WE ARE TOTALLY GOING TO DOCK NOW!". It's like who cares if you think she has a humanity killing AI, you weren't going to resolve that in the next ten seconds anyway. And there is no way to convey that information that wouldn't terrify the rest of the stations either. They tell you to start docking, just start docking really slow. Buy time. They got stupid and preachy and they ate some missiles for it.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

The Pike stuff owns, the Lexa stuff was as boring as her acting was terrible. Crazy man Jaha remains great and his ghost in the machine buddy only makes it better. Wanna see him and Titus thrown down in a zealotry duel.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

TyrantWD posted:

captured by the grounders and used to spread disease in dropship camp

Don't forget, he was tortured during this one also!!!!

Luv u murph, good luck next ep you'll need it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Kegslayer posted:

Yeah, after seeing how the Ark got started and what they did to Polaris right out of the gate, Pike is pretty much being true to his heritage and upbringing. Arkers were also the people who forced Octavia's parents to make her live in the floorboards, floated people for whatevs, sent their own children to Earth to probably die, and did wacky poo poo like asphyxiate a huge percentage of their population. Sounds like Pike is on the Ark Program. Kane in particular seems to have evolved beyond that.

• Locked thread