Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
GG that episode went from weird as hell in true Warhol style to straight holy poo poo awesome with Morpho blowing the gently caress out of the Doom lot.

Only two episodes left :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I know they wouldn't kill off Doc per se but...I sorta feel like someone is going to get killed off.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

"She said you could talk to God with it... but I didn't have anything to say"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RandomPauI posted:

I know they wouldn't kill off Doc per se but...I sorta feel like someone is going to get killed off.

Ya think? Feels like a pretty easy breezy season so far (murders aside). I don't think something like that's coming at all.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

My pet prediction is that Dr. Mrs. The Monarch is going to run afoul of The Monarch's plan and he's going to accidentally off his own wife.

Like, it's a 1000000 to 1 chance of them doing it, but there's this nagging feeling...

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Almost fell over at "Albinos have deep pack instincts. That's, um, scientifically plausible."

thrakkorzog posted:

So who was the sarcastic green guy? Both LoD and The Factory. I just kept thinking of him as a nastier version of Lorne from Angel.

Probably Chuck Wein, who was a promoter figure and full-time dandy. The character is called Serpentine in the show. Guessing the Riddler in LoD?

elentar fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Mar 7, 2016

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Jonas Albrecht posted:

My pet prediction is that Dr. Mrs. The Monarch is going to run afoul of The Monarch's plan and he's going to accidentally off his own wife.

Like, it's a 1000000 to 1 chance of them doing it, but there's this nagging feeling...

I'm glad you said that first because I was afraid to say that first.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I wonder if The Groovy Gang's Val ever tried to kill the leader of The Doom Factory.

:haw:

This episode was loving fantastic and really the show at its best. They did a Billy in a funny costume gag twice and it was even better the second time. And all the Warhol poo poo with abstract arching fit so naturally into the universe they've built. The game that heroes and villains play with each other is like half business and half theatrics, so it would make sense that there are modern villains who are really into the theatrics aspect of it trying to reinvent the arch.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I bet the next episode opens with Rusty realizing that Monarch is the Blue Morpho.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

theflyingexecutive posted:

"She said you could talk to God with it... but I didn't have anything to say"

I remembered this bit from the Doors movie, as soon as I saw the gold communicator watch I was loving dying.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

thrakkorzog posted:

So who was the sarcastic green guy? Both LoD and The Factory. I just kept thinking of him as a nastier version of Lorne from Angel.

That's all I could see every time he came on.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

elentar posted:

Probably Chuck Wein, who was a promoter figure and full-time dandy.

Yeah I think it's supposed to be Chuck Wein? I basically assume it's Chuck/Joe Dallesandro/etc, but I can't place it? This episode was a pretty succinct deconstruction of The Warhol Superstars/The Factory, namely that Doc in-universe would be among one of the WarholWarhammer crew I vaguely recognize by name with no real recognition.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Oh god at Doc calling Warhol a thief at the end and also the dead dolphin.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
man you know what would be an awesome twist.

gary takes the blame and the guild has no choice but to make him a proper villain, thus forcing gary to seek his own lair and path while monarch looks longingly at the breakup. :p.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Maxwell Lord posted:

Took me a while to get the "Bad outfit"/"No, it's the good outfit" joke.
What is this one? I didn't get it.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Hank is wearing Michael Jackson's outfit from the music video for "Bad".

Edit: More evidence for the fan theory that Hank's learning bed was defective and he was mostly educated through VH1 Classic.

Pepe Silvia Browne fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 7, 2016

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

She recognized the outfit from MIchael Jackon's "Bad", and the reference went over Hank's head completely - "No, it's the good outfit!".

Edit: Beaten, but at first, I wondered if Hank was wearing an SS uniform or something.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

3. Phantom Limb is by himself at the meteor.

Considering that the Monarch claimed (and subsequently destroyed) his house and that last we saw before rejoining the Council he was squatting in an abandoned house, it's entirely possible Phantom Limb is still homeless. He may be sleeping in the meteor.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
No one else noticed Rock em Brock em robots?

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
The line about the power suit had me cracking up way too much. Brock still owns even if his car and music and outfit and hair are all antiquated.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I'm gonna guess Dr Mrs Monarch figures out who the Blue Morpho is and then has to try and backpedal when the guild cavalry shows up to help kill him.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

I did.

Hell, I noticed a lot in this episode. Lee Harvey Oswald acted with clones! And we finally got the underwater air kiss we all knew we'd get before the season was out.

(I like how it's Hank's knee that bends when he kisses Sirena.)

Lots to love in this episode. I read in the plot summary that Doc was going to be arched by avant-garde supervillains, but I didn't think that he would... be arched... by avant-garde supervillains.

And finally, Killyfur is back! But no sign of his Knife Superpower. Maybe he's just working as a bouncer?

I think the neatest thing in the episode is how Hank did the typical cartoon teenage boy on a date thing--he had his friends do stuff so he'd look heroic--and instead of ignoring the obvious shenanigans and plot holes, they went with it. Sirena did indeed notice what any normal person would notice, even pointing out that one of the attackers was always an albino, and she thought that it was cute that Hank was into her so much that he got his friends to dress up and do skits.

And of course, more villains died. And of course, it was more-or-less by accident.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
"I believe in the soul, the hanging curveball, pretzel rods not twists, the powdery smell of girls' deoderant, that pets talk to each other when we're not listening, I believe that Lee Harvey Oswald acted with clones. I believe in the sweet-spot, magic invisible gnomes, that cereal is not just for breakfast but for any meal, and I believe in long slow deep soft wet kisses that last three days, stopping only to go to the bathroom obviously."

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
God drat.

GOD drat. I doubt anything will top Victor Echo November, but drat this was a solid episode. I can't even imagine the planning that goes into mapping the Legion of Doom into Warhol's gang, but it is a thing of beauty. Far and away the best season, and I think it's mostly because it's tightly plotted and serialized.

Final Fantasy Football
Oct 3, 2006

Was the book that 21 was reading (and also referenced by the guy with Brock) written by Action Man? Guy on the cover looked like his shadow, but it was hard to tell.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

My heart was warmed by Dean and White's straight up enthusiasm for giving Hank a hand in his time of dating need

Why does Billy have to be such a sourpuss?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Not a Children posted:

My heart was warmed by Dean and White's straight up enthusiasm for giving Hank a hand in his time of dating need

Jealous of Hank being a playboy. I mean what's the most Billy got? Monstro's clients and that is it.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Not a Children posted:

Because he had to be a baby and a war vet and those other guys got to be NINJAS!

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Fevered Madman posted:

Was the book that 21 was reading (and also referenced by the guy with Brock) written by Action Man? Guy on the cover looked like his shadow, but it was hard to tell.

Google brings up two Harry Potter and Darkest Powers fanfics. So it sounds like it's an in-universe thing and it wouldn't surprise me if we find out who the author is in the next few episodes. Kind of a weird thing to drop twice in an episode where it's not a joke or a reference. Then again Chekhov's gun could be unloaded.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Fevered Madman posted:

the guy says 'blood on my hands'. youu can also read part of the subtitle 'grief in my he(ad)' ad is covered, but you can assume it says head

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Huh.

This is the first time since college that Pete White's been mauled by Brock.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I really like the fact that we see the Venture family pulling off a similar scheme in The Doctor Is Sin when Doc is trying to convince Manhowers that he's still relevant by staging the compound to look like he's busy. The end result is totally different since Doc ends up coming off as pathetic and lazy, if clever, in that episode, and Hank ends up planning a very memorable date that took a lot of effort in this one. Hank is like all of Rusty's good qualities without any of the neuroses.

“I see so much of myself in that boy that I want to apologize to him for his existence. He can’t win. He’s a Venture, he’ll never shake it." :smith: I get the feeling Rusty was probably a lot like Hank when he was younger, but something shook his confidence in himself and he's never really recovered.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Monarch called 21 a supervillain, not a henchman, but a supervillain!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Davincie posted:

the guy says 'blood on my hands'. youu can also read part of the subtitle 'grief in my he(ad)' ad is covered, but you can assume it says head

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i can't believe this

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I can't believe they used the DOOM logo for this week's T-shirt instead of the Blue Morpho WANTED poster.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Christmas Present posted:

nice to see cartoon Grant Morrison getting some work again

Yes! He was Warhol in behavior, but looked like, well, every Grant Morrisson character ever.

Cojawfee posted:

That was stupidly good off hand comment.

It's the book Rocko suggested Brock read.

I liked how on their date, Sirena liked Hank when he was just being Hank, and not trying to impress her.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

It's the book Rocko suggested Brock read.

Yes, the book that 21 is reading.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
It was a pretty sweet episode with Hank's date.

Monarch being hilarious inedpt as the Blue Morpho is great because he's accidentally killing enemies off. Granted yeah he wanted to murder them, just hilarious how he does.

Sigh.

Sucks we have two eps left, I hope the Ventures stay in NY, it's actually pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Not a Children posted:

I can't believe they used the DOOM logo for this week's T-shirt instead of the Blue Morpho WANTED poster.

That would have been too awesome.

I feel all crazy fan when I say that I want to see Dean do more. Dean stood out in the beginning of the series because he was the most down to earth one in the family which made him the most relatable character. Like I want to see him meet Triana again even though that story has pretty much run its course(also because that'd be an excuse for Orpheus to show up and who doesn't love some Orpheus?)