Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shaggar posted:

yeah and im sure its the same w/ the other cities in the list, but its not included cause Wikipedia

yeah the article for the green line specifically classifies it as light rail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

pointsofdata posted:

it's gone straight to the top of my list. I think the same guy also tried to demolish a load of poor neighbourhoods in NYC to build a huge motorway

make sure to read jane jacobs after, though i dont think all her prescriptions worked out

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

fart simpson posted:

yeah the article for the green line specifically classifies it as light rail

even tho its identical to the other lines

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

the green line is not meaningfully different than the other lines of the T; shaggar was right

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Shaggar posted:

its older though

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i threw up on the green line once

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Share Bear posted:

make sure to read jane jacobs after, though i dont think all her prescriptions worked out

already have, and would agree although I think her key insight that regulation and control of urban development is very often done in a way that harms the least well off is still broadly correct. like people here blame greedy developer for only building luxury flats, but really NY flat you built would be a luxury one due to lack of supply in the city centre and suburbs, and the governments sabotage of the social housing system

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

like none of the houses on avenue road have any architectural merit but building some flats there (even "luxury" ones) would be like trying to pull teeth from a hungry lion. But people say it's the developers being greedy for knocking down multimillion pound single family homes to build more units

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fart simpson posted:

dehumanize yourself and face to st. patrick's day

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

lomarf
http://m.nydailynews.com/opinion/cl...Transit+Twitter

quote:

Nary a single public official showed up Thursday for the opening of the most extravagant mass transit station in well more than half a century.

But there was Calatrava, who had been paid $80 million for his efforts, and there was PA exec Steve Plate, who brought the project in 100% over budget and 10 years late and still has his job.

They were smiling and smug as a few actual PATH riders passed amid loudspeaker announcements for trains to Hoboken or Newark.

But something was missing. What time was it? Where was there a clock in this “Grand Central of Downtown?” Nowhere, it seemed.

“This is a train station,” we mentioned to Calatrava. “Shouldn’t there be a clock?”

“Good idea,” the genius answered.

Right, we replied, as Calatrava explained that, yes, train stations need clocks and so he had installed clocks in the six other trains stations of his design.

But this was more than a train station, he pronounced, leaving us to wonder, as trains pulled in and departed just below, exactly what was the place in which we were standing.

e: loving lovely websites which hijack copying

distortion park fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 7, 2016

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

the green line is not meaningfully different than the other lines of the T; shaggar was right

nah its the only one with at-grade crossings, street-level (non-platformed) car entrances, and overhead power

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

fart simpson posted:

i threw up on the #50 cta bus once

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

has anyone posted about how the DC metro is gonna shut down for all of tomorrow? because it is

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

nah its the only one with at-grade crossings, street-level (non-platformed) car entrances, and overhead power

I just got off the green line

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

pointsofdata posted:

has anyone posted about how the DC metro is gonna shut down for all of tomorrow? because it is

i wonder if enough of the city will just call in sick that it will be fairly normal

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

opm has governmetn workers for unscheduled telework/leave which will alleviate a bunch of it, but obviously not all. tons of people gonna be hosed

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

fits my needs posted:

my favorite bart of riding BART is arepeople who only ride during the work rush that can't handle when a homeless crazy person shits himself stinking up the old car and are too polite or something to move to the car over or call BART police. its pretty cool.

old post but people don't call the cops because if you did they'd hold your train for at least 20 minutes at whatever stop the police showed up at

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

qirex posted:

old post but people don't call the cops because if you did they'd hold your train for at least 20 minutes at whatever stop the police showed up at

last time this happened i was on the caltrain and an unruly passenger refused to get off when told by conductors, so they stopped at rwc and waited for transit police for like 30 minutes, making announcements every few mins to the effect of "yep we're still waiting for the cops because this rear end in a top hat STILL won't get off"

then at every stop on the rest of the way to sf, they apologized for the delay and blamed that passenger. like they were REALLY pissed.

i overheard (but didn't see) that it might have been a wheelchair user, which explains why someone didn't just physically throw his rear end out and close the doors behind him

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

the Metra conductors keep the police on edge because they 100% will hold up the train if someone needs to get off and won't.

they also throw off anyone who decides to cross in front of a moving train to catch it when the bells are on. that will happen, a description will be heard over the conductor's radios, and all the conductors/brakemen scramble to find whoever it was and toss him and/or get the Metra Police at the ready to meet at the next station.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

minivanmegafun posted:

the Metra conductors keep the police on edge because they 100% will hold up the train if someone needs to get off and won't.

they also throw off anyone who decides to cross in front of a moving train to catch it when the bells are on. that will happen, a description will be heard over the conductor's radios, and all the conductors/brakemen scramble to find whoever it was and toss him and/or get the Metra Police at the ready to meet at the next station.

good

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

pointsofdata posted:

its been very sad watching the dc metro deteriorate over the last 20 years

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

mishaq posted:

thanks obama

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

mishaq posted:

even even two paragraphs of this article are true then lmao
http://www.washingtonian.com/2015/12/09/why-does-metro-suck-dangerous-accidents-escalator-outages/

quote:

...the FTA discovered that although regulations require controllers to be recertified annually, none had been since 2012. And up-to-date rule books weren’t always available, because of problems with the printer and three-hole puncher. Not that current manuals would have mattered. Controllers saw little need for written procedures or checklists. 

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

the automatic train control system for the entire dc metro system has been disabled since the 2009 accident and there's no ETA on when it will be restored

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

qirex posted:

on one hand, I like the idea of increasing NYC subway car capacity by 10% with articulating trains

on the other hand, the whole train can become a poop train

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jimmy Carter posted:

on one hand, I like the idea of increasing NYC subway car capacity by 10% with articulating trains

on the other hand, the whole train can become a poop train

the nyc subway is starting their open gangway pilot in 2020. assuming it is wildly successful, that means you'll see open gangways rolled out to the last lines sometime around 2080.

i'll literally be dead before the subway adopts a new technology system-wide

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

pointsofdata posted:

already have, and would agree although I think her key insight that regulation and control of urban development is very often done in a way that harms the least well off is still broadly correct. like people here blame greedy developer for only building luxury flats, but really NY flat you built would be a luxury one due to lack of supply in the city centre and suburbs, and the governments sabotage of the social housing system

yeah people love to restrict housing development with zoning then complain about housing prices and say that supply and demand doesn't apply.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
RoFo gets his final revenge by diverting two streetcar lines due to his funeral procession

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

c transit s I am about to board a bus

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
https://twitter.com/neville_park/status/707639966168432640

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

http://www.greencaltrain.com/2016/05/santa-clara-kills-housingmixed-use-development-across-from-caltrain-and-proposed-future-bart-station/

quote:

Parking was increased to nearly two spaces for each unit of less than 900 square feet

wtf

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

a lot of building codes mandate a certain number of parking spots per square foot. Shoup's The High Cost of Free Parking discussed this at length.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

don't read this like it's real. they just don't want an apartment building, any apartment building, in their neighborhood.

parking and traffic and "obstructed views" are all paper thin wrappers around "this is not a community meant for persons of color or members of the working class"

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

the CTA just published a nifty calendar full of historic CTA pictures as a PDF

http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/miscellaneous_documents/15JD_072_historic_calendar_2016.pdf

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

first train to Santa Monica since 1953

extremely syck

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
expo finally finished?

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
i thought they were afraid of "HOODLUMS" coming up the blue line and switching for santa monica

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
the TTC upgraded some routes and there's now a bus that stops 10m from my office, 50m from my gym and then 200m from my house

Thanks TTC

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Triglav posted:

i thought they were afraid of "HOODLUMS" coming up the blue line and switching for santa monica

they still are, the rich idiots in cheviot hills whined for decades to stop it but all they succeeded in doing is creating a gap in the nice bikepath built next to the line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
my bus passsssssss

Wild EEPROM fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 15, 2017

• Locked thread