Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

MedicineHut posted:

Derek´s communications disruption could mean only one thing: Invasion Law suit.

He's probably busy sending C&Ds to devs stealing ideas from LoD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Lime Tonics posted:

You can deal with the janky rings later.

Don't you dare touch the janky rings.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Derek Smart made a million blogposts, got thousands of posts from goons and is failing to deliver a lawsuit. Last we heard he switched focus to getting a new suit by the end of the year.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Daztek posted:

Derek Smart made a million blogposts, got thousands of posts from goons and is failing to deliver a lawsuit. Last we heard he switched focus to getting a new suit by the end of the year.

Let him loving Finish! man. I'm sure it will all be worth it.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Daztek posted:

It should come as no surprise that Derek Smart is the Star Citizen of the Star Citizen Thread.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Daztek posted:

Last we heard he switched focus to getting a new suit by the end of the year.

Any specific designer in mind? Two or three-button jacket? Any color or pattern you have in mind?

We can help you look Derek.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Wafflz posted:

"Captain, the enemy seems to be firing a spread of men in a T pose"

No no, they are still called T-orpedoes

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

i am excited for carrying coolant tanks from point A to B while the totally awesome and real and definitely not simulated space battle takes place that you cant see but youll have to take our word for it in SQ42

lol ps4 level graphics. b..but my fidelitous game :qq:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

i am excited for carrying coolant tanks from point A to B while the totally awesome and real and definitely not simulated space battle takes place that you cant see but youll have to take our word for it in SQ42

Personally I am excited for the 15 second long animation of your character picking up a coolant system and then the 30 second long repair animation.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Computers 4 or 5 times as powerful as a ps4 can't get good framerates with nothing on the screen but 1 ship and jank wheel station, there is no way they are running the game on a ps4 in its present state.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
SQ42; 15 hours of gameplay, 5 of which are taken up by the animations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Wafflz posted:

Computers 4 or 5 times as powerful as a ps4 can't get good framerates with nothing on the screen but 1 ship and jank wheel station, there is no way they are running the game on a ps4 in its present state.

you can watch the SQ42: the movie on ps4! dozens of hours of the finest mo-cap acting without all that pesky gameplay. checkmate goonie

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Wafflz posted:

It'll end up being a Gradius reskin.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

It'll end up being a Gradius reskin.

That would be better than anything else they done so far.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Berious posted:

I'm glad female character models seem to be about the same priority as private servers. Never mind high school girl models.

They honestly can't make female character models because their mocap animation skeleton won't work unless all the characters are the same size.

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

Toops posted:

Hey plebes, weekly dev update is up. Huge thanks to Jst0rm for the amazing sound design, and Eastdrom for some sick 3d asteroid modeling. Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sErsCOKXr3Q

I'm always looking for feedback, so please share yours.

I just spotted that ship's covered in airhorns. This is all pretty impressive so far! Makes my little AI voice thing look very amateurish. (Because it is.)

Is there a :gary: icon for when the PAAAAARP meter's being used?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

stinch posted:

They honestly can't make female character models because their mocap animation skeleton won't work unless all the characters are the same size.

You'd think they would've figured this out having new mocap studios triple every second

Chris spent most of last year farting around with mocap it seemed like. They could've filmed some generic lady mocap by now!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Hey, principles shouldn't stop you getting in At the Ground Floor of another great Molyneux work.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Berious posted:

Chris spent most of last year farting around with mocap it seemed like. They could've filmed some generic lady mocap by now!

Alternatively, they can just handwave explain it in the lore and move on.

You see, in the future, the Fourth Stimpire has mandated that all persons be the exact same height and weight, so as to produce the same amount of civil meat.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

TacticalNecromancy posted:

I just spotted that ship's covered in airhorns. This is all pretty impressive so far! Makes my little AI voice thing look very amateurish. (Because it is.)

Is there a :gary: icon for when the PAAAAARP meter's being used?

There should be an incredibly complicated and fidelitous air horn changing minigame where you have to screw the horn on another can of compressed air while ragdolling everywhere. Or at least Toops could promise one while looking incredibly coked out.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Berious posted:

You'd think they would've figured this out having new mocap studios triple every second

Every woman in the game will be sandi

Norefund14days
Feb 2, 2016

NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU PARP IN SPACE.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I think he eventually came to his senses, though he hasn't posted since like early last year

Hope he got a refund.

QUESTION FOR THE THREAD: WHEN WAS THE MOMENT YOU CAME TO YOUR SENSES?

Mine came when I started digging into the project after the numerous scope changes and found Derek's blog. I immediately asked for a refund and waited almost 2 months before I got a response which advised me that they were looking into it and would get back to me. 1 week later 2.0 was released and I got the 14 days, no refund response due to the terms of service. Still have my account and load up in my Connie to grief the poo poo out of all the fan boys.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/320967/is-it-just-me-or-is-everything-broken/p5

:psyduck:

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

stinch posted:

They could outsource it to Team Ninja. I doubt many of the citizens would be unhappy.

Norefund14days
Feb 2, 2016

NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU PARP IN SPACE.

EightAce posted:

Hate to say I told you so .......
I called this in my July blog

You have a blog?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Norefund14days posted:

You have a blog?

It is a Derek joke, friend

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Toops posted:

Hey plebes, weekly dev update is up. Huge thanks to Jst0rm for the amazing sound design, and Eastdrom for some sick 3d asteroid modeling. Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sErsCOKXr3Q

I'm always looking for feedback, so please share yours.

I am actually in awe.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if they mo-capped birds.

Should they mo-cap birds?

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Maytag Citizen lookin good and immerseful

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

orcinus posted:

Don't you dare touch the janky rings.

Say it's a giant interstellar communications or sensor array and that it constantly adjusts. It's meant to be janky!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its my favorite thing that they only have like, what? two places in the game? and they can't even keep the rings on the station synced

imagine if they ever got a whole system into the game and like a whole space station teleports leaving you out in the middle of space or something

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I hope they get working on their death penalty system soon so whales can bitch about being penalized for T posing through the walls of their ships while in warp. Putting in a death penalty while you can still die in innumerable ways from the game bugging out seems like something CIG would do.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Wafflz posted:

Supposedly the online stuff utterly murders the framerate, so SQ42 should be smoother.

In any case if they did say that the PS4 could run it, then CIG has some of the dumbest motherfuckers running PR. They could have easily said that SQ42 runs on a [CPU and GPU roughly equal to a PS4] and it would've sounded a lot better.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

I come from the same era. Dementia is a terrible thing.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
There are plenty of games that still have that sort of complexity... all the info is just put into wiki's online rather than an obnoxious tome that if you misplace ruins the game.

I'm not a fan of games that make me alt-tab into a wiki every 5 minutes, but they exist

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

This are sirius catte with sirius song. But where are his backup singers, they seem to be invisibly parking?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

It pains me that Transverse didn't make it as it would be amazing to watch as it overtook Star Citizen.

But the short term hilarity was also good.

This is a dilemma.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Berious posted:

Your physicks are amazing! Feels way more weighty and immersive than CIGs. Also the dreams asteroid made me lol for real

Thanks dude! Nvidia's PhysX engine is fantastic, and comes native to Unity and UE. The guys that designed it are way smarter than I'll ever be, so I try to let PhysX do all the real work. I think of the ship as a simple sphere with mass, then just push on it with forces and twist it with torque. Contrast this with CryEngine which doesn't use PhysX, and CIG's ultima-fidelity-online approach, and tbh I'm impressed CIG's FM is as good as it is. It's immeasurably more complex to do individual thruster forces, and it's a wonder those ships fly at all. Literally every ship CIG makes needs its own custom physics-based flight model code, whereas I can use the same exact script, just tune the parameters, and get a completely different feeling ship based on those params alone. The time saved could be, oh, I don't know, spent working on the actual GAME?

The way I designed the flight model was just forces, torques, and per-axis dampening. When I pull in a new ship model, I just slap the FlightController on there and specify the forces for each direction of flight. Each direction also has a "damping" value, so (theoretically) you can "reduce" the net force in a given direction. Say if your main thrusters get damaged or something, you'd take forceDampeningZ from 1 to 2. Now you have half the force. I haven't found cause to use it yet, because although I register where ramming damage came from, the damage model doesn't care atm. All damage is created equal. If at some point if feels like that would add to the experience, I'll hook it up. But it's good enough for now just to have the hooks flapping around free. I try not to pre-solve problems, or add features "just because" unless the game feels like it needs it.

Then I jacked E:D's "flight assist" idea, so if you're moving but not thrusting in a given direction, the flight model applies a force opposite that direction of travel until you stop. So if you're strafing left, and you stop strafing, your ship will "strafe right" to counteract your velocity until it reaches 0. The only direction this isn't true for is forward/reverse. It feels really good to kind of "power coast" through space.

As for pitch/yaw/roll, same deal. There's a torque value per axis, and a "dampening" value. I set the torque values for each axis to limit rotation in certain directions (another Elite feature). You can pitch (rotate around x axis) much faster than you can yaw (rotate around z-axis). This naturally encourages you to roll your ship and pitch, because looking left and right feels too slow. But it also gives the ship a feeling of weight, and puts you in pilot-problem-solving mode, which I find more fun that twitch-turret-in-space mode. The net result feels way better to me than freelook noclip wallhax mode in SC.

The final bit was "boost," which is just as simple as adding an impulse force in the forward direction. In PhysX, you have several different force types. The one used for thrusters is just generic constant Force:

code:
rigidbody.AddForce(someValue, ForceMode.Force)
but you can add a "blast" of force (which handles jerk values) by:

code:
rigidbody.AddForce(someValue, ForceMode.Impulse)
PhysX handles the rest. No reason to re-invent the wheel.

You can also disable the "flight assist", and you'll get the "decoupled" or "KSP" mode, which is as simple as flipping a boolean to false, and the "anti-velocity" logic won't act on the body. The Neutron Paaarp Horn will temporarily disable people's flight assist if they're in the blast radius. So once again, I spent the time coding it this way to satisfy a gameplay requirement.

The only place things get hairy is working with rotation, really. Rotation is expressed as a Quaternion (4-dimensional projection of 3-dimensional rotation), which has literally no application to reality whatsoever, and so solutions aren't always intuitive.

Jesus loving effortpost man. I hope that wasn't boring.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ewe2 posted:

This are sirius catte with sirius song. But where are his backup singers, they seem to be invisibly parking?

I wanted to add some spinning pink elephants, but I forgot :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Dusty Lens posted:

It pains me that Transverse didn't make it as it would be amazing to watch as it overtook Star Citizen.

But the short term hilarity was also good.

This is a dilemma.

The icing on that poop cake was the WC license debacle. Brian hasn't been seen or heard from since as far as I know, but the whole shitshow was the funniest thing I've seen happen in gaming so far,
particularly since it was pgi/jarhead games/rabbit hole/whatever else they call themselves.

• Locked thread