Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

rabidsquid posted:

If they make a new Emrakul they should make him cost 20 mana that you can only pay with basic lands, give him split second, and make you instantly win the game if the spell was cast from hand, and lose it otherwise.

This is a terrible post, Emrakul is female, you should know better than this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I'll be happy with it being Emrakul as long as she isn't on the express train to Deus Ex Machina City (Mayor: Chandra Nalaar).

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Paper Triangle posted:

why are people so against the "it's emrakul" idea when it creates a clear story through-line, which fits with wotc's new story-driven initiative bullshit? like i don't really care either way but it makes sense from a story and a business perspective.

I'm not against it, in fact I'd be disappointed if it wasn't Emrakul. But being disappointed is precisely why I doubted it was Emrakul, because of the horrible ending to BFZ's plot.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

My inside wotc source saw my post from the last page and told me yes Emrakul is the big bad behind what's gone wrong on Innistrad. So I take it back. It's still idiotic and I'm mad about it though.

Who what?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

How could you possibly make a better card than Emrakul, the Aeons Torn without running into the Erratic Explosion problem?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Chamale posted:

How could you possibly make a better card than Emrakul, the Aeons Torn without running into the Erratic Explosion problem?

better cast trigger instead of annihilator, phage trigger etc

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Chamale posted:

If the card is revealed off of the top of your library, you lose the game.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Jenny Angel posted:

This is a terrible post, Emrakul is female, you should know better than this

uses female pronouns and is female are not the same thing :colbert:

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm not against it, in fact I'd be disappointed if it wasn't Emrakul. But being disappointed is precisely why I doubted it was Emrakul, because of the horrible ending to BFZ's plot.

i don't even know what happened, i boycotted oath because it had a stupid name.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Zoness posted:

I'm personally not satisfied until there's DFC equipment that's equipment on both sides :colbert:.

It's okay, I'm still going to be horrible and jam elbrus into my DNT list because it's funny and can't be abrupt decayed

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Chamale posted:

10♢♢♢♢♢

on a more serious note it's not really much of a problem really since erratic explosion isn't modern legal.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 7, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Zoness posted:

10♢♢♢♢♢

I don't think that would change it's playability much.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

mcmagic posted:

I don't think that would change it's playability much.

Just 15 diamonds, if emrakul enters play and is not cast from your hand you lose the game.

Edit: and also "if there is an effect that would prevent you from losing the game, this effect is ignored and you lose the game. YOU LOSE!!"

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 7, 2016

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

You must draft this card face up and you lose the draft.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I just realized that you could flavorfully reboot Miracle into a riff on madness - a card that makes you go crazy when you see it so you immediately discard it

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

dragon enthusiast posted:

I just realized that you could flavorfully reboot Miracle into a riff on madness - a card that makes you go crazy when you see it so you immediately discard it

So, cards that can't be drawn after your opening seven?

Isn't that just called Modern? :rimshot:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zoness posted:

10♢♢♢♢♢

on a more serious note it's not really much of a problem really since erratic explosion isn't modern legal.

And it's from your favorite set, too :(

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Quote =/= Edit

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I mean 3RR win the game isn't gonna cause any problems in modern :v:

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
We're sincerely discussion the jankiest of combos as the reason why a slightly better Emrakul can't be printed?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

JerryLee posted:

I'll be happy with it being Emrakul as long as she isn't on the express train to Deus Ex Machina City (Mayor: Chandra Nalaar).

I think this is a relatively common theory, but my guess is that Nahiri, bent on getting revenge against Sorin for abandoning Zendikar to the Eldrazi (who could not actually be permanently sealed and it was just a matter of time before they escaped, and surprise, they did so multiple times) lured it to Innistrad and prevented it from leaving using her lithomancy and semi-trapped it there. I don't think, at least as of this set, that Emrakul isn't actually floating around on the plane causing devastation with Her Noodly Appendanges, but she's influencing it by spreading madness.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Goatsemrakul, the Anus Torn

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

black potus posted:

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

black potus posted:

I think someone with photoshop skills needs to work up some art for this wonderful card as soon as possible, toss a set badge on it and make up some stats / flavor text and leak it.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

JerryLee posted:

what does this even mean? i don't think you know what that term means.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dehtraen posted:

I think someone with photoshop skills needs to work up some art for this wonderful card as soon as possible, toss a set badge on it and make up some stats / flavor text and leak it.
:eyepop:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Just 15 diamonds, if emrakul enters play and is not cast from your hand you lose the game.

Edit: and also "if there is an effect that would prevent you from losing the game, this effect is ignored and you lose the game. YOU LOSE!!"
and the flavor text is just a link to this youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QGkOGZubQ

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Flavorfully, it would really make the most sense for Nahiri to summon Emrakul to Innistrad, but mechanically I'm not sure about 2 blocks in a row of Eldrazi. I wonder what a set with Emrakul and not the other titans would look like, but Eldritch Moon might be it. The titans were originally pretty generic "I win" cards but they have made an effort to really give each one its own flavor. Like, it doesn't even make flavor sense for the original Emrakul to have Annihilator, since she doesn't affect nonliving matter. Also there are an awful lot of Horrors in this set. It seems likely that Nahiri is summoning some kind of ur-Horror, maybe Emrakul is that being? We still don't really know what the Eldrazi are, or how similar of a being Emrakul is to Ulamog and Kozilek.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Lets Pickle posted:

Flavorfully, it would really make the most sense for Nahiri to summon Emrakul to Innistrad, but mechanically I'm not sure about 2 blocks in a row of Eldrazi. I wonder what a set with Emrakul and not the other titans would look like, but Eldritch Moon might be it. The titans were originally pretty generic "I win" cards but they have made an effort to really give each one its own flavor. Like, it doesn't even make flavor sense for the original Emrakul to have Annihilator, since she doesn't affect nonliving matter. Also there are an awful lot of Horrors in this set. It seems likely that Nahiri is summoning some kind of ur-Horror, maybe Emrakul is that being? We still don't really know what the Eldrazi are, or how similar of a being Emrakul is to Ulamog and Kozilek.

How can the Emrakul transfer planes if she don't have the spark of a 'Walker?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

What are you guys talking about some unimportant crap, did you see the 0/4 guy for 1U that turns into a 7/8? It's insane

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Zoness posted:

I mean 3RR win the game isn't gonna cause any problems in modern :v:

It only works if you've already somehow managed to find a certain card and put it on top of your library. Which you're doing how exactly? I assume your deck isn't all lands except for one Explosive Revelation and one 20-drop.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Lets Pickle posted:

You don't need Emrakul to physically show up given how they've established the way Eldrazi affect worlds (Emrakul specifically) and the source of the corruption not being the Titan of Corruption wastes a bunch of story cohesiveness they spent an entire block establishing.

It's Emrakul. I just think the clues are so incredibly obvious what with tentacles everywhere (the tree roots in the land they spoiled are fleshy-tentacles, but not the nonorganic material), everything going crazy (which is Emrakul's stated effect), Nahiri being there and mad at Sorin, specifically over the Eldrazi destroying Zendikar, etc.

80s James Hetfield posted:

The Planes are basically planets and the void in-between them is the "Blind Eternities." The Eldrazi physically exist in the Blind Eternities and can, and always could travel within it to other planes.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

80s James Hetfield posted:

Eldrazi live in the space between planes.

Bonus posted:

What are you guys talking about some unimportant crap, did you see the 0/4 guy for 1U that turns into a 7/8? It's insane

I just noticed that its counters count down, whereas nowadays counters almost always count up. I wonder if they're hinting at Marit Lage making an appearance, or if it's just a callback and nothing more.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I'm probably missing a story beat somewhere, but I thought Nahiri was mad at Sorin moreso because he was (assumedly) sloppy and allowed vampirism to propagate across Zendikar, and also because he never came when she asked for help dealing with a minor Eldrazi flareup.

In fact I think the question of "where has Nahiri been all this time" is still an open question because they haven't explained what she's been up to in between leaving Zendikar, doing nothing to prevent the Eldrazi from being released, allowing the titans to raze Zendikar, (theoretically) luring Emrakul to Innistrad, and loving up Markov Manor.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Paper Triangle posted:

what does this even mean? i don't think you know what that term means.

de·us ex ma·chi·na
ˌdāəs eks ˈmäkənə,ˌdāəs eks ˈmakənə/
noun
an unexpected power or event saving a seemingly hopeless situation, especially as a contrived plot device in a play or novel.

I guess you can pick nits but that describes the ending of BFZ block well enough for me :shrug:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

It only works if you've already somehow managed to find a certain card and put it on top of your library. Which you're doing how exactly? I assume your deck isn't all lands except for one Explosive Revelation and one 20-drop.

Comedy answer: liliana -2

Real answer: It doesn't matter because it's not broken.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah it's probably Emrakul, the question is more why and how Nahiri dragged him to Innistrad. There might be some kind of twist where the hedrons/liths actually kindof summon Eldrazi as well as binding them.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

JerryLee posted:

de·us ex ma·chi·na
ˌdāəs eks ˈmäkənə,ˌdāəs eks ˈmakənə/
noun
an unexpected power or event saving a seemingly hopeless situation, especially as a contrived plot device in a play or novel.

I guess you can pick nits but that describes the ending of BFZ block well enough for me :shrug:

It's not even vaguely a deus ex machina by the terms of the actual story. It's not a great resolution, but they absolutely foreshadowed it in the actual Uncharted Realms stories, whereas they didn't in the capsule story in the Zendikar art book.

dragon enthusiast posted:

I'm probably missing a story beat somewhere, but I thought Nahiri was mad at Sorin moreso because he was (assumedly) sloppy and allowed vampirism to propagate across Zendikar, and also because he never came when she asked for help dealing with a minor Eldrazi flareup.

In fact I think the question of "where has Nahiri been all this time" is still an open question because they haven't explained what she's been up to in between leaving Zendikar, doing nothing to prevent the Eldrazi from being released, allowing the titans to raze Zendikar, (theoretically) luring Emrakul to Innistrad, and loving up Markov Manor.
We don't really know what her deal is beyond the flavor text on a leaked card. Adding more to the open question is that Innistrad 1 took place well after the events that apparently pissed her off and she wasn't there at that point. She's obviously only recently shown up on Innistrad.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 7, 2016

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
My guess is Nahiri is trying to amp up Innistrad's mana like Zendikar to lure in the Eldrazi which is making everything crazy. While everyone is dealing with Avacyn on the rampage she's getting ready to blow up the moon and scatter magic silver all over the place

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Her plan is actually just to write her name on the moon with a giant mana laser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Entropic posted:

Her plan is actually just to write her name on the moon with a giant mana laser.

YOU GUYS SOCK

Tamiyo: "Hell yeah!"

• Locked thread