Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Okay wow I was remembering there were no Tents or the like and noticing my MP was just kinda draining just exploring the dungeon I went to (fire themed) and then after turning off encounters to run back to an inn, I noticed Ringabel is equipped with a shield which casts Cura. :staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

SelenicMartian posted:

SH1 is a game where Alice's ultimate weapon is the Necronomicon bound in human skin, and next to her is Margaret who kills enemies by summoning a giant frying pan.

Margarete also has the best Scan-type ability that lets you see enemy stats.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanfy posted:

Margarete also has the best Scan-type ability that lets you see enemy stats.

I dunno, I haven't played the first two Shadow Hearts games, but I'm quite fond of Johnny pulling out a camera and going "Okay, say che-eze!"

I can't help but think of the targeted monster just replying with a long :zombie: "BlaaAAAARGGHH"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I dunno, I haven't played the first two Shadow Hearts games, but I'm quite fond of Johnny pulling out a camera and going "Okay, say che-eze!"

I can't help but think of the targeted monster just replying with a long :zombie: "BlaaAAAARGGHH"

Basically the same in Covenant, except it's Anastasia Romanov doing it in between bopping people with a faberge egg.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It's a Sonic fangame, apparently.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I'm enjoying atelier shallie. why do people dislike this game?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

they don't?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

voltcatfish posted:

they don't?

people kept saying it was boring when i asked about it

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

corn in the bible posted:

Boring is the wrong word. Uncompelling maybe? There's plenty good about it but it just kind of failed to grab me and I guess I'm not the only one that felt that way?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
It's a different format than other Atelier games and it kind of requires you to make your own pacing, since that was the idea behind the progression system. Even Mana Khemia felt like it was sort of clearly delineating what you could do to keep progressing. Some people might find that a bit boring or unfocused, maybe.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

You know what's boring? Popolocrois on the PSP. It's really, really boring!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Wendell posted:

You know what's boring? Popolocrois on the PSP. It's really, really boring!
What about the 3DS thing?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

I don't feel like I'm actually accomplishing during the game. In Ayesha she gets closer and closer to rescuing her sister, and gains new friends throughout the story. In E&L you hunt the stamps to raise your branch's reputation and budget. Here, you... just do pointless, repetetive tasks because the game tells you to. Both protagonists have goals but I never feel like I'm actually working towards them. It's just "do this do that and hope something turns up". Also I don't really like any of the new characters all that much. Half of the team don't even get proper introductions unless you play the game twice. Also the quest UI is atrocious.

Ninja edit: I like Homura, actually. Homura's awesome. Miruca is pretty cool, too. I'm still planning on beating the game one day but it feels aimless, even when compared to the really chill Ayesha and E&L.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The best thing about Homura is their failure to account for his Quick and insta-revive percentages such that he can trivially take infinite turns and comes back to life even if he dies to counterattacks. He's like Anna from MK except they forgot to give his moves diminishing returns.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I donno who said that. Shallie is a fine game. I don't like the characters as much as the previous games but the alchemy system is great and the nonlinear quest system is confusing from a UI perspective but a cool idea.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Homura is great and my friend

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So in Bravely Default I currently have Agnes as a Spiritmaster/White Mage and Ringabel as an Arcanist/Black Mage, what are some good job combinations for the other two to help round out my group and get me through the rest of the game?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Knight/Ninja makes a pretty great tank iirc. I also had a Dark Knight since they could easily break the damage barrier.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I just remember having a generic healer, singer for BP, and two pirates with free punch so I can get quad 9999 constantly.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Time Mage/Swordmaster, Dark Knight(Monk)/Spellfencer(Merchant), Performer/Freelancer, Knight/Templar, to give some examples.

Time Mage/Swordmaster gives you access to free MP heavy spells such as Meteor, Hastega, and Reraise. A Dark Knight(Monk)/Spellfencer allows you to use all the health-draining attacks for free if you simply use Drain on your weapon. If you have the Blood Blade, you can slot out Spellfencer for Merchant or whatever other supportive class you want, since you can equip the Blood Blade in battle, Use its effect, and then equip another weapon and keep the draining effect.

A Performer has great buffs, and with a Freelancer you can Mimic the BP boosting song for free, giving everyone unlimited BP. If you have a Knight with Dual Shields, you take single digit physical damage from the vast majority of attacks, and Super Charge takes your defense and makes a super strong attack. With the Templar's Rampart, you can shield your group from any physical damage.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Tae posted:

I just remember having a generic healer, singer for BP, and two pirates with free punch so I can get quad 9999 constantly.

If you have two characters in the same job, then you might win the game, but you've already lost the most important thing of all.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Verranicus posted:

So in Bravely Default I currently have Agnes as a Spiritmaster/White Mage and Ringabel as an Arcanist/Black Mage, what are some good job combinations for the other two to help round out my group and get me through the rest of the game?

my endgame big bruisers were edea with dark knight/spell fencer, tiz with swordmaster/pirate, agnes with salve-maker/spiritmaster, and ringabel with red mage/time mage, though their support abilities were more varied

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
As it is right now I use Agnes as Spiritmaster/WHM for healing and stuff like obliterate and the shields, Ringabel as arcanist/BLM mainly for poison+eterminate and sleep+twilight, so something melee heavy would be ideal. I'll look at what's been posted.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
admittedly my setup isn't optimal because i want ringabel (the fastest character) going last but speed boosting equipment is easy to find and, more importantly, he looks the best as a red mage

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Looper posted:

admittedly my setup isn't optimal because i want ringabel (the fastest character) going last but speed boosting equipment is easy to find and, more importantly, he looks the best as a red mage

Yeah at this point I'm just looking to continue the game so optimal/min-maxing isn't a big deal for me.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

God drat it, dual wield is two job levels deep in the "suddenly costs thousands per level" zone?

Terper posted:

If you have two characters in the same job, then you might win the game, but you've already lost the most important thing of all.
Look I am TRYING to get Dual Wield as a support ability on three people so I can send them out to other jobs okay :mad:

Ringabel is my white mage for some reason that I don't reme-

Looper posted:

admittedly my setup isn't optimal because i want ringabel (the fastest character)
Oh, that must be why. :flashfact:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Some more SO5 info.
This new villain is just Albel again. With the least intimidating Spanish name.
And here's some PS4 Vs PS3 comparisons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fvZTtXeKVU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdsIMaMbLIQ

Has it been confirmed we're not getting the PS3 one? I'd assume so give the trends.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I have a really stupid question about Tales of Abyss combat (specially considering Im over 30 hrs into the game): how the hell can I pull those big special moves ("mystic arts" or something)? I see the AI do it and in the AD screen there is something about holding X after using an art when you are in overdrive, but it doenst seems to work for me.

Combat in this game is quite fun but Im no good at it. Good thing is also kinda easy. My strategy as been sticking to Natalia so I can just be on the back smashing the X button and throwing some simple specials and healing the dudes when needed, as the AI seems a lot more effective than I with all the other chars. There's just too many artes to choose and things usually get too fast and frenetic.

Unfortunately this works well for regular battles, but not much for boss fights. For bosses Natalia aint good enough for the healing and the AI will let the melee guys die too easily, so I switch to controlling Luke (so I can keep him alive and help the others with items) and have Tear, Jade and Anise as the other party members and hope for the best, but usually it takes a lot of healing items and life bottles to get through

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 7, 2016

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Do you have both AD-Skills enabled? If not it won't work. I assume you do have Overlimit but make sure Mystic Arte is also enabled. You then need to hold X during an Arcane Arte (second tier), it can't just be any arte. I believe FOF Change artes also count as Arcane Artes even if the thing they're changing from isn't. So on Guy I think things like Dragon Tempest or Moonlight Tempest will trigger it but basic artes like Void Tempest don't. For Tear and Jade it's different because their MAs trigger off spells; for Tear I believe it has to be one of her offensive hymns (it's tied to her singing so it has to be an actual hymn), and for Jade it has to be a higher-tier spell. Anise has spells but her first MA triggers off artes (I think her hidden one triggers off a spell).

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

My end party for BD was

Tiz - Pirate/Swordmaster Quad damage & Free Lunch hijinks with Dual wield Giant Axes
Edea - Swordmaster/Pirate Same as above but with Katanas
Ringabel - Red Mage/Templar BP boosting and Physical attack blocker
Agnes - Salvemaker/Spiritmaster Damage/Defense Booster, Health Doubler and healer with immunity to all elements if needed.

I know there's other combos for damage but the above was easy and I was trying to finish the game a day before the second came out.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Nakar posted:

Do you have both AD-Skills enabled? If not it won't work. I assume you do have Overlimit but make sure Mystic Arte is also enabled. You then need to hold X during an Arcane Arte (second tier), it can't just be any arte. I believe FOF Change artes also count as Arcane Artes even if the thing they're changing from isn't. So on Guy I think things like Dragon Tempest or Moonlight Tempest will trigger it but basic artes like Void Tempest don't. For Tear and Jade it's different because their MAs trigger off spells; for Tear I believe it has to be one of her offensive hymns (it's tied to her singing so it has to be an actual hymn), and for Jade it has to be a higher-tier spell. Anise has spells but her first MA triggers off artes (I think her hidden one triggers off a spell).

It is necessary to activate AD skills?

I though they were always active. How do I know which arte is second tier?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
In later games Arcane Artes have a different icon but I can't remember if that's true in Abyss or not.

Basically the moves that unlock later or that are combos of prior artes you have to use a certain number of times are Arcane Artes. They tend to cost more TP as well. You could also check a wiki.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Nakar posted:

In later games Arcane Artes have a different icon but I can't remember if that's true in Abyss or not.

Basically the moves that unlock later or that are combos of prior artes you have to use a certain number of times are Arcane Artes. They tend to cost more TP as well. You could also check a wiki.

They have a second square or circle around the sword/staff icon.

They're also just called arcane arts in the arts menu.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I'm playing an older Atelier game (Totori) and I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. Is that normal?

It's been a few in game months, and I've got the adventurer's license at all, but I'm not sure if there's something specific I should be doing. Sometimes I go out and gather plants, or fight easy enemies. I've got a lot of the quests at the Bar. Sometimes when I come back there's a story event.

Now I know the Atelier games are supposed to be chill and slice of lifey, but I need a little bit more direction than this.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
You're playing the wrong series, then, and most definitely the wrong Atelier.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

voltcatfish posted:

I'm playing an older Atelier game (Totori) and I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. Is that normal?

It's been a few in game months, and I've got the adventurer's license at all, but I'm not sure if there's something specific I should be doing. Sometimes I go out and gather plants, or fight easy enemies. I've got a lot of the quests at the Bar. Sometimes when I come back there's a story event.

Now I know the Atelier games are supposed to be chill and slice of lifey, but I need a little bit more direction than this.

Totori is pretty infamously light on direction. Some people really like it but there's a reason Meruru gives you a lot more concrete goals.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Coughing Hobo posted:

You're playing the wrong series, then, and most definitely the wrong Atelier.

I don't think i am though. I like it, it just feels like I am actively accomplishing nothing. If what I'm doing is fine, i'll continue. I just don't want to get a bad ending because I was supposed to do X but I didn't realize.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

I don't think i am though. I like it, it just feels like I am actively accomplishing nothing. If what I'm doing is fine, i'll continue. I just don't want to get a bad ending because I was supposed to do X but I didn't realize.

Totori has multiple different endings, most of them varying levels of good. You'll be replaying the game anyway so do fret so much over stuff like that. The worst ending you'll get if you do literally nothing, don't reach Diamond Rank by a set time or fail to find out what happened to Totori's mother and they're all pretty easy to avoid.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I just got the Unscathed bonus on a boss in Bravely Default. Utsumemi is really good. :staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Is Stella Glow any good?