Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Insanely Sikh posted:

I don't like Leg Press, would prob throw Leg Lunges in instead. Also Reverse Back Extensions or whatever they're called

Interesting. Of course I should have said that I do this stance on the leg press upper plate which works the glutes: \ / But my balance could be better so maybe I'll try lunges. I hate them though. I don't know the other thing you mention. I actually think the key to leg day is make it short and sharp - half an hour is fine.

One element of my game that's really improved is heading. I've scored three in three now (full size pitch). The first was your classic back post send the ball back where it came from which was :perfect: then the second was peel off the last defender at the back post and swivel to head down hard and low into the lower ninety when he misjudged the flight of the ball. But the best was on Saturday. The ball looped into the air off a defection and I leaped salmon like on the six yard line and nodded it in a beautiful arc with the side of my head over the goalkeeper and just under the bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

BRay don't you want to put some core work in there doggg? I found heavy side bends/oblique work helped my striking power back in tha day. Also if your leg press is glute-focused, are you squatting high bar? Give those quads some love homie! :cheers:

Also seconding person above who suggested lunges (and reverse lunges also) in case of any imbalances.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Love the stuff on core. The bar is across my shoulders so should be hitting my quads? Also interested in a warm up/ down routine if you know.one.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

I think both high-bar and low-bar are considered "across shoulders" the dif is that high-bar will put more focus on quads, low-bar will put more focus on hams and glutes (both will use all the muscle groups, just bar positioning determines which are emphasized) and since you're legpressing for emphasis on glutes, and doing leg curls but no extensions (dont blame you I hate leg extensions too), just a lot of focus on the ~posterior~ chain. For a better explanation of high-bar vs. low-bar check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs_Ej32IYgo

...which is long as hell and not football-specific but it's the best explanation of squat mechanics i know of. High-bar explanation at 4:52, low-bar at 8:32. High bar will have the bar slightly higher on your shoulders, hands closer, and you'll break at your knees first when descending. Low bar will have wider hand-stance, bar will be across the back of your shoulders instead of resting on top, and you will break at the hips first. Like I said both will hit your quads but high-bar will put more emphasis on them vs. glutes and hams, and you've got specific glute and ham work in there.

I would always warm up jumping rope and warm down cycling at low resistance/high speed but there wasn't any reason for that besides personal preference, and I felt like the cycling wouldn't aggravate my knee which has been temperamental since I was a wee lad.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Breath Ray are you talking about warm ups/cool downs at the gym or before a match? For the gym I like using the rowing machine for 5-10 minutes at a decent resistance as it gets your heart going and your legs loose. For matches just a few high kicks and side steps up and down the touch line.

I like to alternate squat/deadlift days for leg days to hit quads and hams, but I've never really tried adjusting the bar position on squats to go for different muscle groups. Interesting idea.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

The Big Taff Man posted:

Hahahahaha this is the dumbest thing Ive ever seen and Ive seen mirrors

I highly doubt this, you've looked at your significant other. She lives with the shame every day.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
My new cleats have a hole for the Adidas micoach speed cell. Just pulled the trigger on buying one. Anyone here use one of them before? Thoughts?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

The Big Taff Man posted:

Hahahahaha this is the dumbest thing Ive ever seen and Ive seen mirrors

Soulex posted:

I highly doubt this, you've looked at your significant other. She lives with the shame every day.

Settle down you dinguses

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

cosmicjim posted:

My new cleats have a hole for the Adidas micoach speed cell. Just pulled the trigger on buying one. Anyone here use one of them before? Thoughts?

I got one at Christmas, it's OK but the app and the site are a bit naff. They hosed up the unit conversion for some stuff so you get hilarious notifications like this:

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Breath Ray posted:

Hi chaps, how's this look for a football based conditioning work out?

I'm of the opinion that if you do leg curls, then you should really do leg extensions as well. Working out complimentary muscles groups at the same rate is important, not only for balance but also as a means of preventing injury. I think that's a good workout routine, though.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

cosmicjim posted:

I had the original version of these and the app thing never. ever. worked.

Maybe it's better now though.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Vinestalk posted:

I'm of the opinion that if you do leg curls, then you should really do leg extensions as well. Working out complimentary muscles groups at the same rate is important, not only for balance but also as a means of preventing injury. I think that's a good workout routine, though.

i like leg curls but they are murder onthe old knees. its a sheering motion. just something i picked up from the brogrqammers in the youlook like poo poo general questions thread

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Scikar posted:

I got one at Christmas, it's OK but the app and the site are a bit naff. They hosed up the unit conversion for some stuff so you get hilarious notifications like this:

Do you have robot legs too? Jesus

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wonder what conversion it was doing because the equivalent miles is still absurd unless it missed several decimal points and should be 19.154 mph, which seems more believable.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Just forget the leg curls and do weighted stepups or box jumps if youre training specifically for performance on the field imo.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

black.lion posted:

Just forget the leg curls and do weighted stepups or box jumps if youre training specifically for performance on the field imo.

What's your stance on ankle weights? Sauna suits?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

I wouldn't do ankles but I've used a weight vest when jogging before and I thought it helped but who knows.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
why wouldn't you do ankles, its common sense. at least try it for the first half

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
For what it's worth BR (coming from someone who just crippled themselves while playing), properly evaluating your program is gonna depend on what your goals are and what you want out of your training. Football-specific conditioning is developed best by mimicking the movements you use in game under resistance so that it's easier come game day.

I've found that all the weight training in he world is fairly unimportant for most players of around average fitness without being made specific to football, but things such as hill sprints (as close to HIIT style as possible) are amazing for making players more effective. Pick yourself a hill of any size (biggest near me is about 5 metres in length and a moderate incline), and sprint top to bottom, walk bottom to top. See if you can get to 5 reps of maximum effort with only the walking down hill time as your rest - by the time you're able to push out multiple sets of 5 or longer, you're on field conditioning will be improved massively. By the time you can do these sorts of sets and reps on subsequent days throughout the week, you'll be nearing some of the best shape of your life. Football is mostly short, sharp bursts with rapid direction change followed by stretches of jogging, so anything that looks like that will help you.

Squats/Lunges/Leg press etc. are all useful in making you strong, but unless you are also training the movement of football it won't translate the way you'd hope (i.e. doubling your maximum squat won't necessarily double your sprint speed or vertical leap). I'm not saying don't do them because you absolutely should, and absolutely should balance them between agonist and antagonist muscles to protect against injuries, but you'll get better results faster by prioritizing your conditioning first.

Ankle weights: Avoid, they are bad for your joints and will gently caress up your cadence for when you run without them. Their appeal is entirely based on people trying to train like goku.

Sauna suit: I'm assuming you mean like wearing a garbage bag and going for a run like boxers do to shed water weight. It's risky as gently caress in terms of accidently doing yourself damage, and will only make minor differences for someone with highish body fat (i.e. a non-combat sport athlete) while massively increasing your risk of dehydrating and cramping. HIIT is better, and quicker (don't mix HIIT and sauna suits, this is a recipe for loving yourself up).

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Also, strengthen your core. Your abs are designed to hold your spine in place - you want that taken care of if you're going to be smashing around a football field and getting under squats etc. Planks are great for this, as well as dead bugs: http://www.rippeleffectfitness.net/exercise-expertise-the-dead-bug/

Dead bugs have the added advantage of helping fix anterior pelvic tilt - also known as computer guy posture, or skinny guy fat gut

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Breath Ray posted:

Also interested in a warm up/ down routine if you know.one.

BR, this is the routine that I have worked with for over 34 years of both Winter and Summer ball.
I won't tell you that will work for everybody, but you might want to try it.

Warm Up:
Smoke yourself half a blunt on the way to the park. Dude, ya gotta chill.
Enjoy the whole experience.
Get there early, stretch, slowly.
Dance around, keep loose. Slow jogging.
More stretching,
Bounce around, get loose.
Do that for a good half hour before you even look at the loving ball.

Short passes in a small circle.
That's all you need, unless you're a center-back or a winger and feel the need to thump the ball.

Cool Down:

Strip off gear, grab a beer.
Get dressed, have another beer
Gravitate towards the cooler, have another beer.
Re-live the war stories while enjoying a tasty beer.
Stay longer if it's sunny.

HTH

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Tongues posted:

Sauna suit: I'm assuming you mean like wearing a garbage bag and going for a run like boxers do to shed water weight. It's risky as gently caress in terms of accidently doing yourself damage, and will only make minor differences for someone with highish body fat (i.e. a non-combat sport athlete) while massively increasing your risk of dehydrating and cramping. HIIT is better, and quicker (don't mix HIIT and sauna suits, this is a recipe for loving yourself up).

Exactly this. What people don't understand or seem to understand that the weight lost in a sauna is water weight which will be gained back after an hour or so thanks to you needing to hydrate. Sauna suits also seriously messes with your bodies ability to self cool and regulate body temperature. I discourage saunas as a means to weight loss, but after a work out they're good for keeping your heart rate up for a bit. Just don't be a hero, ten minutes in and leave. Come back in if you want after you cool down a bit. Saunas and sauna suits will do exactly gently caress all to helping you condition.

Jogging with a weighted vest is good for stamina, but I wouldn't do it with sprints as the extra weight could screw up your balance or center of gravity and cause an injury. Another option is ruck marching if you are looking to build stamina. You'll be surprised at the weight lost and stamina gained after a few months of doing it once or twice a week. When I was doing it, I was training to do 12 miles in three hours with a full load, weapon and body armor, so about 80-90 pounds total carried weight. I shaved a bunch off my run time and had 1/4 mile sprints down to about 1:09.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Breath Ray posted:

why wouldn't you do ankles, its common sense. at least try it for the first half

Well, for one you can't put as much weight on your ankles as you can strap around your torso. For two, for each "stride" half of the weight (one ankle's worth) is on the ground, and for three a weight vest is going to keep the extra weight near your center of balance (sternum/chest area) instead of creating some bottom-heavy sort of thing which according to an american football trainer who told me all this ish carries over better to speed/power on the field. Of course that was for american football but it makes sense to me that weighing your feet down isn't going to carry over to normal running/sprinting as well as weighing the center of your body down, where the majority of your weight is anyway.

My reasoning has basically always been the first point though, if you're going to run with weight on you it may as well be more than 3 lbs. per foot. Strap 60 lbs to your torso and go running for a week and see if you don't feel faster on the field that weekend.

Also this:

Tongues posted:

Ankle weights: Avoid, they are bad for your joints and will gently caress up your cadence for when you run without them. Their appeal is entirely based on people trying to train like goku.

black.lion fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 8, 2016

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I am so hardcore I gained 25 pounds so I could play soccer with a permanent weight vest.

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.
I pay money to chase a ball around and occasionally kick it at people specifically to avoid going to a gym.

skipping leg day just means playing keeper

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Tongues posted:

Also, strengthen your core. Your abs are designed to hold your spine in place - you want that taken care of if you're going to be smashing around a football field and getting under squats etc. Planks are great for this, as well as dead bugs: http://www.rippeleffectfitness.net/exercise-expertise-the-dead-bug/

Dead bugs have the added advantage of helping fix anterior pelvic tilt - also known as computer guy posture, or skinny guy fat gut

drat, I'm intrigued. Too bad there's like a billion variations. I'll stick to my ab circuit and find a hill to run up. Still waiting for a comprehensive warm up routine though. I've found a good one for shin splints is a straight leg heel dig with toes extended to your knee.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

mushi posted:

I pay money to chase a ball around and occasionally kick it at people specifically to avoid going to a gym.

skipping leg day just means playing keeper

I'm fairly certain that means skipping cardio day.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Playing keeper is skipping a day.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Final trial game of the year before the season kicks off, and I played keeper for the first half and had a decent go. Made some good one-on-one saves but let in a dipping freekick that went across the face and snuck in the far top corner (got dragged towards the near post because players went to head it but missed). Went into the break at 3-1 up, which was nice since my previous teams had no shooting ability. Spent the first 20 minutes of the second half at right back which was some good cardio against a couple of speedy strikers, before being given a five minute break and then shoved back on at attacking midfield, which was bizarre. What was even more bizarre was that I managed to score a goal, although it was mostly from allowing the defenders to make mistakes :D. Someone put a high ball towards the box and I let the centre back jump for it and totally miss it; I got a touch towards the box and both fullbacks slid in from either side but took each other out and when I stepped past them the ball was just sitting there on the edge of the box dead centre. I took a touch and then just hit it straight through the keeper's hands, and I'm now 50% of the way to my record number of goals for a season :krad:

We won 5-2 and I was well-pumped up for a big fast food meal on the way home

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

iajanus posted:

Final trial game of the year before the season kicks off, and I played keeper for the first half and had a decent go. Made some good one-on-one saves but let in a dipping freekick that went across the face and snuck in the far top corner (got dragged towards the near post because players went to head it but missed). Went into the break at 3-1 up, which was nice since my previous teams had no shooting ability. Spent the first 20 minutes of the second half at right back which was some good cardio against a couple of speedy strikers, before being given a five minute break and then shoved back on at attacking midfield, which was bizarre. What was even more bizarre was that I managed to score a goal, although it was mostly from allowing the defenders to make mistakes :D. Someone put a high ball towards the box and I let the centre back jump for it and totally miss it; I got a touch towards the box and both fullbacks slid in from either side but took each other out and when I stepped past them the ball was just sitting there on the edge of the box dead centre. I took a touch and then just hit it straight through the keeper's hands, and I'm now 50% of the way to my record number of goals for a season :krad:

We won 5-2 and I was well-pumped up for a big fast food meal on the way home

gently caress oath, you've earned that poo poo. Keepers scoring goals from open play is the greatest proof of God's love

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
A cheeky McDo's after footy is legit

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Insanely Sikh posted:

I miss my old life in Sydney where my home ground was a five minute walk from my home and there was a hungry jacks five minutes the other way.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Insanely Sikh posted:

theres a bloke on my futsal team who always gets a quarter pounder after work on the way to the game and never learns his lesson, its not me

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Tongues posted:

scoring goals from open play is the greatest proof of God's love

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I'm more amazed at the players who have a cheeky smoke at half time :wtf:

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
There's nothing amazing about nicotine addiction.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
Not sure who but there's a group that always blaze after our Sunday games, always a sudden waft of weed as we finish up

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
That will be the Arab ones

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I am only a part-time keeper (know that's weird but we're around, in US at least) but my greatest-on-paper goal was from the other team's corner kick. It was chipped softly to the edge of the box, and I caught it at a full sprint. I then had to dump it in front of me as I was leaving the penalty area. At this point I'm still at a full sprint and behind their entire team save one defender who I knew sucked and their keeper. So I just carried it another 50 yards while the bad defender left me a huge cushion and then hammered it past him into the left corner. We lost the game 2-1, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I got elbowed in the chest when marking this guy a couple of weeks ago (he of course denied everything and said it wasn't even a foul, the oval office) and the thing is that the spot where I got hit still hurts, a rather sharp pain when I cough or breath deeply, otherwise there's a dull pain and it definitely hurts when I touch it.

Does it sound to you guys like I should have it x-rayed? it's been two weeks since I last played, dunno what to do about it. I try icing it but it doesn't seem to do much. any ideas?