Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

EccoRaven posted:

I really don't think this is the case or is a valid fear.

here is a setup I am writing for this post:

4 mafia:
- 1 Doctor
- 1 Roleblocker
- 2 Goons

1 SK:
- Bulletproof, immune to roleblockers

10 town:
- 1 Sane Cop (sanity not told, only revealed on flip)
- 1 Naive Cop (ibid.)
- 1 Backup Doctor (becomes real doctor if mafia doctor dies)
- 1 Tracker
- 6 vanilla

at a glance I'd say this is fairly balanced vs. the scum (mafia + SK). The mafia have a means of stopping the SK (the doctor protections), so the SK is motivated to hunt down the doctor to get at the mafia, but with the BP the SK doesn't ever feel threatened by the mafia directly. The only roles that can "catch" the SK are the cop and the tracker, but the cop is weakened by putting a naive cop in the same setup that can contradict the sane cop's results. The tracker then becomes the best town role, but with both the mafia and the SK after them, it's only a matter of time before the tracker gets got.

The town feels a little on the weaker side so I might want to add in a confirmed mason pair (raising it to 12 town) or some other protective roles (perhaps a jailor) to offset not having access to a straight doctor for a while. Sheer numbers might work as well, but if a game gets to be too vanilla it risks being too "stale" for the players. Things can be tweaked a little here or there, especially after the RNG distributes roles (if the scum are all newer players still learning the basics and the town all your Typical Strong Townies then you have a problem that should be addressed). But in general balancing an SK is difficult but far from impossible, and nothing about it means the game has to revolve around stopping some abominable SK.

okay I am walking out the door bye!!

The town is super weak in this game because the 2 cops are going to CC each other and both get lynched, and there are nontown players in a quantity equal to half the size of the town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Asiina posted:

And if winning is really that important to enjoyment, would you really want to play where all but 1 person loses 1/3rd of the time?

Have I got a game set up for you! If I ever do it. Multiple wincons, players win if they achieve a certain number of them.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I just don't see winning as that important, and for those of you who do think winning is necessary for having fun, why is making it more likely everyone but one person will lose somehow better than the SK probably but not definitely losing?

MG2
Jan 30, 2016

by LadyAmbien
In 1.5 years I'm going to own organic farm and y'all better come visit me

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Animal farm or plant farm? I don't care about plants, but I'll go hang out with some animals.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

You know, we could make things a lot easier for players and mods if we just told would-be players ahead of time that there's an SK in the game. An up front trigger warning bit like ":siren: THIS GAME CONTAINS A SERIAL KILLER ROLE, DO NOT JOIN IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO PLAY A MORE DIFFICULT ROLE :siren:"

Voila. People read that, they know that they might have to play a more difficult role with less chance of them winning, which means the moderator gets consent to pass out more difficult and stress inducing roles because everybody read the warning before they signed up.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Asiina posted:

I just don't see winning as that important, and for those of you who do think winning is necessary for having fun, why is making it more likely everyone but one person will lose somehow better than the SK probably but not definitely losing?

it's not about winning it's about feeling like there was a fair chance at winning.

if one player played better than the rest and won at the exclusion of every other player in the game, and the game was properly balanced and player agency remained primary, then only the most petty would be grumpy they lost.

I mean it's just hard to have fun when you feel like no matter what you do it'll be for naught (cue taste saying "everything is for naught"), and even if I often don't put fun before other concerns in a game it's still really important.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Murmur Twin posted:

I'm 40 games in and have never rolled SK, on paper it sounds like the funnest role to me.

Playing SK in Taste's CS:GO mafia is one my favourite mafia memories, one of the tensest games I've played and (imo) one of my best games. It's an awesome role and I wish I rolled it more often.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Rarity posted:

Playing SK in Taste's CS:GO mafia is one my favourite mafia memories, one of the tensest games I've played and (imo) one of my best games. It's an awesome role and I wish I rolled it more often.

It was my game, not taste's. I am as offended as you might think.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Asiina posted:

ok expand this thought process out a bit. if winning isn't important, then why bother with win conditions? then everybody can freeball and just do whatever and have fun right!!!

winning provides the framework for the game, and while it's not necessary to win to have fun, being able to achieve your wincon is a fundamental part of mafia and mafialikes.

people get bitter as gently caress when they see post game that they really had no way of winning, and it ruins the experience for them, and it happens frequently.

SKs are inherently an unbalanced role for the player because one fuckup and their entire faction loses. I can't think of another faction where this is the same, so i think a strong SK with powers is still never going to have an even shot at winning a game, but as a mod you have a responsibility to make sure the role is reasonably winnable.

or has another motive to make them not care about losing.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Spiros posted:

Thinking of offense levels that high breaks my brain.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

:siren: This game includes more difficult roles to win with :siren:

You are Diqnol, you automatically lose

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I've won in plenty of difficult situations friend

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Ask busb about that mafialike game where we all had different teams and wincons - my team won despite many terrible things

MG2
Jan 30, 2016

by LadyAmbien

Asiina posted:

Animal farm or plant farm? I don't care about plants, but I'll go hang out with some animals.

Growing plants to make money but I plan on having about 10 acres to my farm so I'll have plenty of room for chickens. Hopefully I can have a cow or two and also some goats.

I'd love to keep goats but I feel like they'd eat all my veggies

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Spiros posted:

:negative:

I was thinking Taste cause he was the guy that won it. Mea culpa.

Still a great game though

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Spiros posted:

:negative:

I was thinking Taste cause he was the guy that won it. Mea culpa.

Still a great game though

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Making you lose is the only to make it fair for everyone else.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Spiros posted:

Ask busb about that mafialike game where we all had different teams and wincons - my team won despite many terrible things

not in Civ3 you won't, diqs!
:coffeepal:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
In short, rolling SK is fantastic because it's the true test of your ability as a mafia player. You need to juggle survivability, scum hunting, setup spec and action use and only great play in each area will get you the win. There are very few games I've played where I've felt that level of challenge.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Also as an FYI: Nobody remembers the games where the SK was lynched on Day 2.

Nobody remembers anything about Lunatics Mafia except that Tom Tucker won it as an SK.

There's the motivation to play a role that's handicapped and has everything stacked against them.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Being SK owns. Does anyone actually disagree?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

JakeP posted:

I still prefer town, but I'd take SK over scum any day of the week.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

JakeP posted:

I don't think so, we're just arguing about what is an acceptable winrate to design one for really

vanilla town is still the best role in mafia though

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Neapolitan Town is better.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Namoeba

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Someone make ice cream mafia and use my hilarious joke, kthanks.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

I think I've only been 3p once and it was a highly upsetting experience.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Asiina posted:

explains why you frequent this thread

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Ixtlilton posted:

I think I've only been 3p once and it was a highly upsetting experience.

I'm still mad thinking about it.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

busb posted:

I don't think so, we're just arguing about what is an acceptable winrate to design one for really

But thats really my point. The player will be happy with the role regardless on their chances to win, you don't need to give them all kinds of extra power to keep them from being disapointed with their role .

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

JakeP posted:

But thats really my point. The player will be happy with the role regardless on their chances to win, you don't need to give them all kinds of extra power to keep them from being disapointed with their role .

And that's my point, that you're wrong! because even if you give them powers like bulletproof they are still underpowered and will not have an easy chance of winning.

Challenge modes and playstyles are great for single player game design, i play dungeon crawl all the time! it's just bad design for multiplayer games to intentionally make nigh unwinnable roles - especially ones that take place over weeks.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MG2
Jan 30, 2016

by LadyAmbien
When I start a farm would you guys like organic vegetable sent to your homes?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

MG2 posted:

When I start a farm would you guys like organic vegetable sent to your homes?

I prefer that my vegetables that are being shipped cross country have some preservatives used on them.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

I would like some mush in the mail.

MG2
Jan 30, 2016

by LadyAmbien
Well I'm planning on buying an at least 10 acre property by the end of this year so if you wanna come chill lemme know

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
mafia thread after a very long negotiating process, I am now a salaried employee who received a very significant pay increase :toot:

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

busb posted:

And that's my point, that you're wrong! because even if you give them powers like bulletproof they are still underpowered and will not have an easy chance of winning.

Challenge modes and playstyles are great for single player game design, i play dungeon crawl all the time! it's just bad design for multiplayer games to intentionally make nigh unwinnable roles - especially ones that take place over weeks.

if you give them perma bullet proof it makes it signifcantly less hard to win, to the point I would say it is too easy for them to win, and actually makes the game balanced against the scum, which is way worse than having an underpowered SK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Kashuno posted:

mafia thread after a very long negotiating process, I am now a salaried employee who received a very significant pay increase :toot:

grats