Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Genetic Toaster posted:

Other M is this weird hosed up mess but at least it tried to do something cool.

The road to hell...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doos
Jan 1, 2015

Tae posted:

Metroid never sold in the first place

Samus Aran broke a thousand bottleships, never drew a dime.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dias posted:

The road to hell...

Retribution?

I don't get how Nintendo puts out one or more Kirby games every year and all Metroid gets in like 5 years is a spinoff noone asked for. I get that Japan is apparently not crazy for Metroid, but do Kirby games seriously sell well anymore? I feel like I never hear anyone actually talk about them anymore.

I wonder if there are more Yoshi games then Metroid games at this point.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Kirby Games do extremely well. One of the recent games sold over a million.

Here's the truth: Megaman and Metroid don't sell for poo poo, that's the main reason why there's no more games. Not just in Japan. Everywhere.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tae posted:

Metroid never sold in the first place

16 million over 26 years is obviously not doing Mario numbers, but it's still more than most stuff can hope to make, hell it's more than most of Nintendo's other stuff. It's still enough for Nintendo to consider when putting forth new games since Metroid is not niche or wasn't, anyways.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Oxyclean posted:

I don't get how Nintendo puts out one or more Kirby games every year and all Metroid gets in like 5 years is a spinoff noone asked for. I get that Japan is apparently not crazy for Metroid, but do Kirby games seriously sell well anymore? I feel like I never hear anyone actually talk about them anymore.
Kirby games are fantastic for the very young crowd, an audience where there isn't very much competition of any real quality. Metroid games have been positioned to compete with other action games featuring emotionally vulnerable supermodel waifus, and there is a ton of competition for that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Mega man has less of an excuse because there were a shitton of Megaman games at one point that saturated the market and only like three of them did over a million.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
The last Metroid game was 6 years ago and it was loving Other M. Federation Force is going to be a mediocre multiplayer shooter thing that everyone either hates or doesn't care about. Liam is literally the only person I've ever heard say they were looking forward to it. If Metroid were owned by any Japanese company other than Nintendo it would've turned into a pachislot machine by now.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Also while there's a lot of Kirby games, there's the difference between the Kirby Kirby games that come out less often every now and then, and the nonKirby Kirby games which are just Kirby slapped onto a gimmick that wouldn't sell without him.
Kirby.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

HGH posted:

Also while there's a lot of Kirby games, there's the difference between the Kirby Kirby games that come out less often every now and then, and the nonKirby Kirby games which are just Kirby slapped onto a gimmick that wouldn't sell without him.
Kirby.

Ah yes, all those traditional Kirby games like Kirby's Epic Yarn and Kirby and the Rainbow Curse and Kirby's Air Ride

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Baal posted:

No, it's just going to be a really lovely multiplayer handheld FPS that's using Metroid Prime's name because Nintendo refuses to actually put forth any real money for a legit new Metroid game and is also sending this game to basically die because no Metroid fan is actually going to buy it. So when it does fail they're going to be like "Well I guess the Metroid name just doesn't sell anymore."

they seem to be making DMC 5, actually

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
kirby is generally nintendo's platform to try out new artstyles or mechanics I think

Baal posted:

I would rather have Other M than Federation Force
turn left baal, nooo

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Rodyle posted:

Did you mean to quote about Megaman doing poor instead?

Because don't play with my heart when you just posted oh they are making Devil May Cry 5.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Shindragon posted:

Did you mean to quote about Megaman doing poor instead?

Because don't play with my heart when you just posted oh they are making Devil May Cry 5.

the joke is that the story of federation force is the story of Donte

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Ah boo. : (

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rodyle posted:

I will end you

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Woolie just being the worst at Super Hot is great :allears:

"now grab his gun" *shoots floor, then throws his gun at the other gun, breaking both guns*

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Oxyclean posted:

Retribution?

I wonder if there are more Yoshi games then Metroid games at this point.

Kirby games sell consistently well, particulalrly in Japan, and there's also a crazy huge Japanese merch machine for Kirby that necessitates regular games.

Tae posted:

Kirby Games do extremely well. One of the recent games sold over a million.

Here's the truth: Megaman and Metroid don't sell for poo poo, that's the main reason why there's no more games. Not just in Japan. Everywhere.

Metroid games sold fine (until Other M), they just cost more to make than most other Nintendo franchises that sell the same amount, many of which are developed by the same team that makes Metroid games.

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!
Is there any reason 1080p videos on youtube aren't 1080p on vessel?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Why does Pat hate anime? (Even though he loves Persona 4 and Narutardo?)

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Pat doesn't hate anime.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Rodyle posted:

Pat doesn't hate anime.
He said he did in the latest Nintendo Direct.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Grouchio posted:

Anime Is Blood

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010

Grouchio posted:

Pat was a mistake

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Grouchio posted:

He said he did in the latest Nintendo Direct.

He did not say this, he said he (correctly) didn't like how out there #Fire Emblem was.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Did someone just unironically type narutard in this thread

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Rodyle posted:

He did not say this, he said he (correctly) didn't like how out there #Fire Emblem was.

He's wrong, actually

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Pat was a mistake

You were a mistake. :colbert: That 5'1 ginger has brought laughter and joy in this thread.

What have you done lately for this thread?

(edit: please don't answer seriously as I was joking)

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 8, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
You might be laughing at Pat now, but seventy years from now, when worms are eating your decomposing body and he's sitting comfortably as a toilet...

well

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I agree with Pat on the immortality issue. While you're all dead I'll be the stall next to Pat, going crazy but still being alive.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

sirtommygunn posted:

I agree with Pat on the immortality issue. While you're all dead I'll be the stall next to Pat, going crazy but still being alive.

Being next to Pat forever is a fate worse than death tho.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Everyone in the Zaibatsu are huge weebs, Liam's just the most stereotypical one.

Sorry if this ruins TBFP for you goons.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
For god's sake Pat pause F.lux before you record

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hypeman Cactuar is another great addition to the Zaibatsu lore.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
"What's under the tree? oh it's my Fist." the FFX lp is the gift that keeps on giving

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

YOOOOOOOOOOOO SUCK MY PRICKLY PRICK THIS IS AMAZING

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hypeman Cactuar is the best thing this lp has given us

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

*click refresh on iTunes* Oh hey, new podcast is out! *time: 4:00:09* :stare:

I'm pretty sure this takes the record for longest pure podcast since I don't see any spoilercast material. (120 was 4:01:18 but an hour and a half was MGSV discussion)

Also "Liam's Hotglue becomes a thing" :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I was wondering why the download was taking so long, goddamn. :stare:

Wonder how you sell time travel, i'll find out tomorrow or on wednesday i guess.