Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Hah, yeah, basically i'd like top unnerving films, that's a good way to put it. Kind of like a review i read about the VVitch which said "it felt like we watched something we shouldn't have".

I was thinking of session 9 and remember liking it years back when i first watched it but I don't really remember what was great about it, if that makes sense. Like it was entertaining but not memorable.

Basebf555 posted:

There's no way I'd show Kill List to a decent sized group of friends, at least a few are pretty much guaranteed to hate it. Its really not for everyone.

This is literally what happened at our last double bill a few weeks ago. Everyone pretty much hated it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
The Shining?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Good call, though it would be good to get something a little more obscure. The shining is great (and that kind of "poo poo isnt right" atmosphere is exactly what i'm after), but we've pretty much all seen it countless times.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea when someone says they're getting a group of friends together for a double feature of psychological horror, I assume they're into it enough that they've already seen The Shining.

What about Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer?

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Kin posted:

This is literally what happened at our last double bill a few weeks ago. Everyone pretty much hated it.

If your team balked at Kill List then maybe Session 9 is not for them. It is also a slow burn psychological thriller. Are they more into jump scares?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Kin posted:

If your friends didn't like Kill List, get new friends.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Skyscraper posted:

Its surprisingly tough to maintain an entire group of friends who all like Kill List.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Skyscraper posted:

I don't think I've ever diverged from the goon hivemind so violently as I did with that movie. I feel like I should rewatch it, maybe I missed something important the first time.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Basebf555 posted:

Just looked up this movie since I hadn't heard of it. Sounds pretty interesting. At first I thought you were talking about Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon but that's got a slightly comedic tone to it. The one you mentioned seems much darker.

Vulpes posted:

I feel like I should rewatch it, maybe I missed something important the first time.

I've never seen Kill List, but I've had this thought a lot. I also realize that not once have I ever somehow been convinced to like something by re-watching it. Maybe I'm alone here.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 7, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I didn't really like Kill List either. I liked things about it. I'm in the boat that didn't care for the ending because it seemed really cliche and boring for a movie that was so different and interesting up until that point.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I can't make you like Kill List, but I can say that I liked Lake Mungo again after I re-watched it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Just looked up this movie since I hadn't heard of it. Sounds pretty interesting. At first I thought you were talking about Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon but that's got a slightly comedic tone to it. The one you mentioned seems much darker.

Yea definitely don't go into Henry thinking its going to be anything like The Rise of Leslie Vernon. Its legit one of the most disturbing movies ever made.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
The Last Will & Testament of Rosalind Leigh is pretty creepy. Not gore or anything like that either. Might be a little too melancholy and low key for a group watching though.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
What about the original Wicker Man?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

mysterious frankie posted:

The Last Will & Testament of Rosalind Leigh is pretty creepy. Not gore or anything like that either. Might be a little too melancholy and low key for a group watching though.

Not at all, i just watched the trailer for that and it's perfect. The exact kind of thing i'm after.

Ominous Jazz posted:

Pretty much a safe bet that anything 'famous' has been watched.

Henry might be a little too real, if that's the right way of describing it. Like, i mentioned Eden lake which feels very real, but after thinking about it i might not put something on that requires practically no suspension of disbelief.

edit: Lake Mungo is another one that's like a perfect example of what i'm after (we watched it a few months back). That slow burn creepy stuff that just grips you.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Ominous Jazz posted:

Kin posted:

Pretty much a safe bet that anything 'famous' has been watched.

Only if your friends are real horror buffs, and the film is old enough that there's a great chance they haven't seen it.

It's something that I'd intended to see since the movie was out in the 70s but, like Suspiria, never actually did until the last couple of years.

Wicker Man is absolutely filled with a sense of unease about what's really going on, that rapidly increases as the film moves towards its ending with the town parade. But even every little touch before then, from the weird items in the bakery and apothecary, the stuff the kids were learning in school, beetle on a string and all the various random items of pagan symbolism all around the island contribute to a profound sense of dread.

Edit: Videodrome is also way up there for straight up unnerving, but it's not exactly subtle, it's pretty in your face.

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 8, 2016

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
I've been plugging this in the horror thread, but since it's out in a few days I want to throw some praise towards They Look Like People in here. This is a low-key, psychological horror from a director who pretty much did this film on his own. He wrote the script and then flew his friends up to NYC so they could act in it. When you look at the end credits you'll see almost the entire thing was made by the director and his three leads.

The film starts with Wyatt fleeing his fiancee after receiving a phone call late at night from a strange, garbled voice. The voice says that the people around him aren't who they say they are: they're malevolent shapeshifters who have slowly taken over most of the human population, and in several days they're finally going to show their true form and start a war with the remaining human population. He's told that his fiancee is one of "them," and after seeing her transform he goes to New York City. Why? To meet Christian, his friend from high school who's gone off to try and live a successful life in the city. Wyatt continues receiving calls and messages from the same person who warned him back at his house, and he tries to convince Christian to get out of the city with him before the poo poo hits the fan.

I'll put the rest in spoilers just because the movie isn't out yet, but I won't reveal anything major.

So yeah, think of this as a cross between Invasion of the Body Snatchers and Take Shelter, with Wyatt constantly questioning whether or not he's suffering from paranoid schizophrenia or actually one of the few people immune to an insidious takeover of the world from dark creatures. The movie walks this line pretty hard, and it manages to come up with a satisfying conclusion because of how well it ties into the relationship between Wyatt and Christian. It's established early on that Wyatt and Christian were loners back in their high school days, and they have a sort of friendship that makes sense to them but looks weird to outsiders. When they meet up again, things have changed: now in their late 20s, Wyatt is about to get married and Christian is desperately trying to live the ideal life of a young professional (job in New York City, nice apartment, going to the gym, and trying to ask out one of his coworkers). He's striving to live out the life that's been pitched as ideal to him. Wyatt, on the other hand, seems to be collapsing at the inevitable shift that comes with transitioning out of your 20s.

And that's what makes this movie so great. This is a film about the anxiety that comes with leaving the idealized years of your 20s and entering the next chapter of your life, along with the way we can go against our own grain to try and become a different person in the hopes of belonging. It's a film that really boils down to one about friendship, and how the mantra of being yourself is only part of the equation - you also need people who are willing to accept you for who you are.

That's all my rambling/gushing out of the way. I think it's a really special movie that I hope might build up some good word of mouth once it comes out. It's gonna be on iTunes/VOD and other places on March 11th. I caught this one last summer at Fantasia in Montreal and have been championing it ever since.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

MagnumOpus posted:

If your team balked at Kill List then maybe Session 9 is not for them. It is also a slow burn psychological thriller.
FWIW, I hated Kill List, but Session 9 is one of my favourites and I like it just as much on every rewatch.

I think it's less about it being a slow burn and more about if the characters and atmosphere click with you. I could buy Session 9 characters as real people and thought atmosphere was top notch and haunting, Kill List just seemed disjointed and there was something about the writing/acting that reminded me more of a student film. Probably doesn't help that I live in England and half the cast sounded like they're from Coronation Street.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Kin posted:

Not at all, i just watched the trailer for that and it's perfect. The exact kind of thing i'm after.

Awesome, I think you'll like it. I think it's gotten too little exposure because the cover art on Netflix- featuring a sinister glowering angel- doesn't really do a good job of conveying what you're going to get. It looks like dopey fun Chiller fare you'd put on in the background (that's why I watched it for the first time), when it's really a languidly paced story about unbalanced mother\son relationships, loneliness, delusion and regret. The angel statuary choked suburban McCastle is a neat character in its own right and its transition from tacky to a genuinely threatening space is pretty effective.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Perhaps a hamster posted:

FWIW, I hated Kill List, but Session 9 is one of my favourites and I like it just as much on every rewatch.

I think it's less about it being a slow burn and more about if the characters and atmosphere click with you. I could buy Session 9 characters as real people and thought atmosphere was top notch and haunting, Kill List just seemed disjointed and there was something about the writing/acting that reminded me more of a student film. Probably doesn't help that I live in England and half the cast sounded like they're from Coronation Street.

Yea I don't think Kill List and Session 9 are very similar at all. Session 9 has a fairly straightforward narrative, so you don't feel like you have to constantly be figuring out what's going on. Kill List is a lot more demanding, I think "disjointed" is a good way to put it. There's a lot in it that you have to piece together yourself, and some people aren't into that kind of thing or even if they are a movie night with friends may not be the best atmosphere for it.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Kill List is definitely love/hate but honestly don't be put off watching it if you haven't yet, you might totally love it like me and my mates.

Gonna watch They Look Like People as soon as I can, thanks for that rec. Thread owns.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I've gotta watch Session 9. I've seen you guys talk about it for years and somehow I've just never watched it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ehud posted:

I've gotta watch Session 9. I've seen you guys talk about it for years and somehow I've just never watched it.

Its got David Caruso doing his usual thing, but David Caruso is like the cilantro of acting. If he's a turn off then he's going to ruin Session 9 for you.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Ehud posted:

It's not an amazing film, but it's a fun film with some amazing parts. Great atmosphere, great soundtrack.

Basebf555 posted:

Its got David Caruso doing his usual thing, but David Caruso is like the cilantro of acting. If he's a turn off then he's going to ruin Session 9 for you.

Hey, Basebf555 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz5ODQCueP8

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I caught It Follows finally for my birthday, and my wife and I really enjoyed it. She had trouble sleeping that night. To me, it was very creepy, and I felt like something was going to happen at any time. The only downside was that it comes off as one of those heavy metaphor movies where what's happening isn't exactly about what's happening but what's it's supposed to represent.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Spikeguy posted:

The only downside was that it comes off as one of those heavy metaphor movies where what's happening isn't exactly about what's happening but what's it's supposed to represent.

The knife is Norman's limp penis.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Spikeguy posted:

I caught It Follows finally for my birthday, and my wife and I really enjoyed it. She had trouble sleeping that night. To me, it was very creepy, and I felt like something was going to happen at any time. The only downside was that it comes off as one of those heavy metaphor movies where what's happening isn't exactly about what's happening but what's it's supposed to represent.

i just watched it follows and it rules.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

i just watched it follows and it rules.

Definitely recommend it. The soundtrack may be my favorite thing about it.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!

Kin posted:

So i'm hosting a horror double bill night for my friends soon and i'm looking for some good ideas on genuinely scary films.

Like, personally, i've never really found supernatural films to be that scary but i'd be happy to put one on that fits the psychological horror aspect.

I was thinking of Ghostwatch (the clever filming techniques are amazing) and maybe something like Eden Lake or The Others but it would be good to get some other suggestions.

Basically, i want people to walk out feeling unnerved but not in a "man i wasted my time watching that" kind of way.

I recently watched the film Last Shift. While it's supernatural it did a good job of making me feel unnerved the entire time.

Kenzo fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 9, 2016

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Rikimaru posted:

I recently watched the film Last Watch. While it's supernatural it did a good job of making me feel unnerved the entire time.

Got a link to it? Google just keeps throwing me back end of watch.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Kin posted:

Got a link to it? Google just keeps throwing me back end of watch.

I think that person means Last Shift, not Watch, which imo was pretty decent.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2965466/

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!

Parachute posted:

I think that person means Last Shift, not Watch, which imo was pretty decent.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2965466/

Doh. Yeah that's the one I meant.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Spikeguy posted:

Definitely recommend it. The soundtrack may be my favorite thing about it.

this obnoxiously nerdy guy i work with (the kind of dude who fills his cubes with those big headed dolls of batman and other comic book things) talked about how it was terrible after he saw it and i knew it was gonna be good cuz he's the type of guy that thinks horror is all blood and guts and poo poo.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Basebf555 posted:

Yea when someone says they're getting a group of friends together for a double feature of psychological horror, I assume they're into it enough that they've already seen The Shining.

This movie made me have nightmares about Michael Rooker. Good choice.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Welp, thanks for the recommendations, though i'm also now thinking about the Strangers. Someone at work was talking about it today and it sounded great. Like a lot of blink and you'll miss it, 'show don't tell' stuff that just really puts you on edge.

I was thinking about putting Ghost Watch on alongside (for similar reasons) it but have no idea how well it holds now that it's well and truly outside of its era.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Glad to see this thread is alive and well again, lot of great recs in the last page alone. Gonna go ahead and throw my weight behind They Look Like People, Last Will & Testament of Rosalind Leigh and The VVitch

Kin posted:

Welp, thanks for the recommendations, though i'm also now thinking about the Strangers. Someone at work was talking about it today and it sounded great. Like a lot of blink and you'll miss it, 'show don't tell' stuff that just really puts you on edge.

If you were looking for something that not a lot of people have seen, this one was pretty big when it came out. It was a decent movie but more tense than horrifying. There's a great cameo by Glenn Howerton of Always Sunny fame though.

God Hole fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 12, 2016

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

God Hole posted:

If you were looking for something that not a lot of people have seen, this one was pretty big when it came out. It was a decent movie but more tense than horrifying. There's a great cameo by Glenn Howerton of Always Sunny fame though.

Yeah, i think you're right. I missed it myself when it came out, but the people at work that were talking about it were some of the people coming to the double bill.

On a slightly different tangent, i saw The Forrest last night and it relly felt like it could have been a decent psychological horror if it werent for the jump scares.

In fact a lot of the jump scares seem so out of... context... that, to me, it came across as if they weren't actually there in the first version of the film and then some execs forced them to be added at a later date.

Two that jump out in particular were the picture slider thing in the caves when the ghost was already chasing her (that entire sequence including the jump scare adds nothing to the tension already there and can be completely cut). And, more glaringly, that final CGI jump scare right before the credits.

There were also sections that would have worked amazingly if they just left it at show don't tell. For example the river scene. If they hadn't gone over the top in stating that the river had changed direction and that the guy was 'misleading her' and instead just showed us the river going one way, then on the next pan, briefly showing it go the other without drawing attention to it, it would have worked so brilliantly at subtly implying the woman' slipping sanity.

Basically the setting and plot felt like it would be perfect for fuckton of psychological tricks, but instead of going for background nuances they went for in your face jumps. Like, for an entire film set in a haunted forest, instead of deliberate scenes of seeing a spooky [mcguffin], there could have been a single entity hidden incredibly well in every shot of the forest 'haunting' her. Kind of like the stuff fro lake Mungo.

Sure, some people might spot it occasionally, but if they do, it think it would be a 'poo poo, did i really see that' feeling and if later they find out that there was a lot more of it, then i think that would just add to the creepy factor.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I just saw 10 Cloverfield Lane, and I think it fits the bill of a thriller/horror/suspense movie. I really enjoyed it. Obviously, do not seek spoilers.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I just watched Queen of Earth.

What did I just watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Something real good. That movie crawled into my head and nested there for days. I think it's Moss's best performance yet.

• Locked thread