Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!
Another fun Quelaag fact, that attack you died to on your first attempt does magic damage, not fire damage like the rest of her attacks do. Also, the zweihander r2 overhead smash attack is another weapon that can hit her human body to stagger her. I think the great scythe has an attack that can do it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
There's actually little point to upgrading a weapon to divine unless you are planning on going to the Catacombs before you go to Anor Londo, because you can very easily get a +5 divine weapon from there.

E: Then again, I guess you're going through the game like someone who hasn't played before might, so I guess it makes sense.

E2: Oh, you even said you're not going straight to Sen's :downs:

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 7, 2016

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Did you not pick up the pyromancer's set? I don't think I see it in your armor list and as far as I can tell you seemed to avoid/blow by the corner it's in.

I prefer the left-side approach to Quelaag's lair. If you approach it right you won't run into any of the boulder guys and there isn't a cragspider sitting there in the middle of the muck.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Wow Vicas, you weren't kidding about the Drake Sword being easy mode. I have never gotten past the Taurus Demon (turns out Pyromancer is a baaad class for me) before despite having the game since the year it came out on PC. Now I just rang the first bell. The Gargoyles took me like 4 tries (I got lost and went to their location before Andre's bonfire)

I am one-shotting Balder Knights. This is awesome!

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

Jonny Nox posted:

Wow Vicas, you weren't kidding about the Drake Sword being easy mode. I have never gotten past the Taurus Demon (turns out Pyromancer is a baaad class for me) before despite having the game since the year it came out on PC. Now I just rang the first bell. The Gargoyles took me like 4 tries (I got lost and went to their location before Andre's bonfire)

I am one-shotting Balder Knights. This is awesome!

Just make sure you find something to replace it soon, the drake sword is really good right up until it's not anymore, and then it's practically useless, and the point where it's useless isn't that far into the game

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah, I have some ideas. How much difference does good scaling make?

I just realized that the Elevator back to Firelink shrine is in the same room as the Firekeeper soul. Neat!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

After a lot of sitting on my hands and not fighting the Gaping Dragon, I made it to Blighttown. Only something like a whole area behind you!

Oh, Blighttown.

Time to climb back out and reinforce a weapon with a hitbox. My rapier is not, heh, cutting it with these dogs around.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I look forward to Sen's Fortress because it is basically the best dungeon ever but I'll cheerfully settle for a spooky skeleton adventure, because that's also a pretty excellent dungeon, gently caress the haters. :skeltal:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Okay, but we need the Papyrus battle theme playing during the entire dungeon run.

Gravelord Nito gets Megalovania.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I made it to the bottom. But then the cragspiders lurking in that noxious murk of the swamp surrounded me, trapping me between their misshapen limbs. I died in the flames, probably scant yards from the bonfire. :darksouls:

Sincerely considering going all the way back up to Firelink to gear up, and then sneaking back in through the kitchen door with the Master Key, because gently caress this place. :shepicide:

But seriously, it's actually pretty neat a section of the game! It's tense and atmospheric and everything. (You can probably tell I didn't have any framerate issues.) I just wish there was some kind of unlockable shortcut as a reward for making it down, because this is the longest, slowest section of the game thus far and dying in the swamp is a real loving kick in the pants.

Edit: Never mind I just watched episode 21 and loving hell I really did die literally yards from the bonfire. :negative:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 7, 2016

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

TimNeilson posted:

Just make sure you find something to replace it soon, the drake sword is really good right up until it's not anymore, and then it's practically useless, and the point where it's useless isn't that far into the game

I've always heard this but I have to wonder - does this still hold true for a +5 draks sword? I've never tried it but if one was dedicated enough they could get it early by farming the lightning drake bastards.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

double nine posted:

I've always heard this but I have to wonder - does this still hold true for a +5 draks sword? I've never tried it but if one was dedicated enough they could get it early by farming the lightning drake bastards.

Even if you find enough scales, which is annoying as hell, upgrades start at 10000 Souls each and only get more costly. It's an object lesson in diminishing returns

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself
Each +1 on the non-scaling dragon weapons is a +10% increase (so the base 200 becomes 220), so it caps at 300 AR. That's definitely better, but still less than the 400-500 you could get with a good weapon that scales well with your stats, and it's still slow and can't be buffed.

Thing is, though, the Drake Sword isn't "useless" for the rest of the game, it's useless for Sen's Fortress, because the mooks there have very high physical defense. It starts evening back out, and very few bosses are as tough as those guys (even the last boss has slightly less regular damage defense than they do). Because the stat requirements are low and you don't need them for scaling, it's a decent choice for a mage who runs into enemies that are resistant to his magic-scaling split weapons he might be using instead; or somebody packing on the Vit/End and plans to outlast everything, or whatnot. It's never the best choice of weapon, but I wouldn't call it useless.

And as far as the farming plan goes, you'll probably want something with a bit more punch to actually get those dragon scales. :v:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

double nine posted:

You could spend a few hours grinding for that, or you could spend 30 seconds to run and get the Zweihander and use that instead (or a couple of minutes and get the Gravelord Sword). The problem with the Drake Sword isn't that it's terrible per se, it's that at any point when you can use the Drake Sword you'll also have far better options available to you if you know what you're doing.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 8, 2016

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

Vicas posted:

Even if you find enough scales, which is annoying as hell, upgrades start at 10000 Souls each and only get more costly. It's an object lesson in diminishing returns

IIRC the upgrade cost doesn't increase, but there's only like 10 scales to be found in the game unless you want to farm drakes for them, which is a giant pain in the butt. So yeah, like someone else said, you could do that but it's really not worth it compared to the plethora of other options you get at basically every point in the game.

E: where even are all the dragon scales? The only ones I can think of that are guaranteed at the moment are the two hydras and the one in the blighttown arena. And maybe one in the duke's archives? Not sure about that though.

Double edit: oh and there's the two undead dragons, I forgot about them

TimNeilson fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 8, 2016

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Siivola posted:

I made it to the bottom. But then the cragspiders lurking in that noxious murk of the swamp surrounded me, trapping me between their misshapen limbs. I died in the flames, probably scant yards from the bonfire. :darksouls:

Sincerely considering going all the way back up to Firelink to gear up, and then sneaking back in through the kitchen door with the Master Key, because gently caress this place. :shepicide:

Honestly, once you take out the toxic snipers, Blighttown isn't too bad. Assuming you aren't having framerate issues. Just take it slow, and remember the two or three chokepoints that you can get ganked by multiple enemies if you aren't taking it slow. The main cause of death aside from those shitfucking snipers is getting impatient and either slipping off a ledge, or pressing forward too quickly and getting overwhelmed.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

TimNeilson posted:

E: where even are all the dragon scales? The only ones I can think of that are guaranteed at the moment are the two hydras and the one in the blighttown arena. And maybe one in the duke's archives? Not sure about that though.

There are a bunch in an area we could have gone to already, but haven't.

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

Paracelsus posted:

There are a bunch in an area we could have gone to already, but haven't.

Oh okay. I know the other hydra is there but I wasn't sure about whether there were some just lying around down there or not.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

TimNeilson posted:

IIRC the upgrade cost doesn't increase, but there's only like 10 scales to be found in the game unless you want to farm drakes for them, which is a giant pain in the butt. So yeah, like someone else said, you could do that but it's really not worth it compared to the plethora of other options you get at basically every point in the game.

You get one for trading an egg Vermifuge with snuggly. Also, there's a bunch near the 2nd hydra lying on the beach. It's like searching for seashells only more grimdark.

Also I don't particularly care for the drake sword, I just wondered how universally uninteresting it is. Though I have to wonder if it's feasible as an anti-twink strategy - dress up in newbie attire complete with drake sword and proceed to whip their rear end with a +5. Sadly it appears to not be worth the effort.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Gothsheep posted:

Honestly, once you take out the toxic snipers, Blighttown isn't too bad. Assuming you aren't having framerate issues. Just take it slow, and remember the two or three chokepoints that you can get ganked by multiple enemies if you aren't taking it slow. The main cause of death aside from those shitfucking snipers is getting impatient and either slipping off a ledge, or pressing forward too quickly and getting overwhelmed.
Yeah, I guess the way around would take way longer. I just lost heart, after doing so well and loving up at the last possible moment. :smith: There's just that one nasty fatty in the middle there I've died to more than anything else, and I'm starting to get a bit sick of him. Next time I give this a shot, I'm going to try and see if I can just skip him by throwing myself off a platform somewhere.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Siivola posted:

Yeah, I guess the way around would take way longer. I just lost heart, after doing so well and loving up at the last possible moment. :smith: There's just that one nasty fatty in the middle there I've died to more than anything else, and I'm starting to get a bit sick of him. Next time I give this a shot, I'm going to try and see if I can just skip him by throwing myself off a platform somewhere.

Okay, I'll give you a hint for the fatties in Blighttown. This works with all of them.

The fatties do not understand ladders. If you aggro one of the fatties and then run back to a ladder, climb up to the top (but don't actually get off it) and wait, they will usually fall off the ledge trying to get to you.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Huh. Well, that's interesting to know, thanks!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

double nine posted:

Also I don't particularly care for the drake sword, I just wondered how universally uninteresting it is. Though I have to wonder if it's feasible as an anti-twink strategy - dress up in newbie attire complete with drake sword and proceed to whip their rear end with a +5. Sadly it appears to not be worth the effort.

Something similar has been done.

Edit: Shows a popular PvP zone we haven't seen yet.

Paracelsus fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 8, 2016

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Paracelsus posted:

Something similar has been done.

Edit: Shows a popular PvP zone we haven't seen yet.

How do they have so many souls? Even if you spammed the dupe trick for days straight you wouldn't get that. Are there cheats that just directly give you a poo poo ton of souls? And how can someone who is tired of grinding poo poo and has played through a bunch already partake in such bounty?

And on a similar note: The riposte animation for that weapon is amazing. But it brings up a question - is the riposte damage the same for all weapons? I'm thinking, since riposte has nothing to do with weapon speed or anything, that it should be, right? Or can I equip a super slow, heavy weapon and rely on parrying to kill parryable dudes, and do it in fewer parries than with my normal, still-super-mobile-while-using-it weapon?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
people who play forever tend to end up with tons of souls because they have nothing to buy anymore. also some cheaters who have max level give tons of souls when you kill them.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

1)
Ragdolls, man...

2)
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it in the thread, but Bonfire Side Chat is a really cool Souls podcast (made by SA Forum members too) It is an undead favorite. Scroll to the very first eps to find the DS1 stuff.

http://feeds.duckfeed.tv/bsc

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Golbez posted:

How do they have so many souls? Even if you spammed the dupe trick for days straight you wouldn't get that. Are there cheats that just directly give you a poo poo ton of souls? And how can someone who is tired of grinding poo poo and has played through a bunch already partake in such bounty?

And on a similar note: The riposte animation for that weapon is amazing. But it brings up a question - is the riposte damage the same for all weapons? I'm thinking, since riposte has nothing to do with weapon speed or anything, that it should be, right? Or can I equip a super slow, heavy weapon and rely on parrying to kill parryable dudes, and do it in fewer parries than with my normal, still-super-mobile-while-using-it weapon?

No, riposte and backstab damage depend on the weapon. And you need to be able to one-hand it.

So yes, you can riposte/backstab even with huge weapons like the halberd or the zweihander or even the great club. And yes, they deal absolutely ridiculous amounts of damage.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Siivola posted:

Next time I give this a shot, I'm going to try and see if I can just skip him by throwing myself off a platform somewhere.
Well what do you know that... Didn't work. But I made it anyway, yay.

Tried to shoot a spider in the tits, didn't work out too good (aiming is hard). Also running out of arrows.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Golbez posted:

PvP kills of high level hosts can drop hundreds of thousands of souls a pop. Even at just 50k souls per kill, 20 wins will give you a million souls.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

KozmoNaut posted:

No, riposte and backstab damage depend on the weapon. And you need to be able to one-hand it.

So yes, you can riposte/backstab even with huge weapons like the halberd or the zweihander or even the great club. And yes, they deal absolutely ridiculous amounts of damage.

You don't need to be able to one-hand it, actually. If you're fast enough, you can be using a big two-hander like the zwei, one hand to parry with your fist, then switch back to twohanding and deliver the riposte.

DS2 actually allows you to parry directly with a number of weapons while two-handing them.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 8, 2016

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Siivola posted:

Well what do you know that... Didn't work. But I made it anyway, yay.

Tried to shoot a spider in the tits, didn't work out too good (aiming is hard). Also running out of arrows.

You could always run all the way up the shortcut, past the three big troll guys and to Andre! :shepicide: Or just go human and summon help from someone who is level 22 and yet somehow still has a +35 Murdersword.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Gothsheep posted:

You could always run all the way up the shortcut, past the three big troll guys and to Andre! :shepicide:
Yeah uh, about that. Heh. Funny story.

The punchline is I forgot the New Londo elevator starts on the Shrine end of the shaft.

:darksouls:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

They never invented handrails in Lordron.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Progress update: Lost all ability to play darksouls. In The Depths. Giant Rat dead, Channeller dead. Before heading back there I was grinding souls in Darkroot Gardens to level up my Halberd. Making mistakes like getting ambushed by the trio of bushwackers, completely screwing up Green knight fights. I think I need a Dark Souls break.

I have 6600 souls in the Depths surrounded by Basilisks. Luckily I bought the curse removing item before I went down there...

edit: So here's my take on the Sewer Chamber Key lore.

It seems like they heavily imply that bonfires attract the Undead. So it seems like someone has forced the particularly bad Hollows down there, then locked them away from the Bonfire that keeps them down there. Sinister.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 9, 2016

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

7000 souls is nothing, I wouldn't worry about it. That said, dark souls is definitively a game where if it gets under your skin, take a break or you'll start hating the game.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

double nine posted:

7000 souls is nothing, I wouldn't worry about it. That said, dark souls is definitively a game where if it gets under your skin, take a break or you'll start hating the game.

Yeah, I was just talking to a friend the other day about how funny it is. I nearly quit the game forever the first time I lost like 6000 souls due to dying twice without recovering my bloodstain early on.

Then later towards the end of the game, I literally found myself saying, "Eh, it was only 80,000 souls. It's not worth going all the way back there to get them."

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
When I had a bunch of souls on a bloodstain, every action I took was centered on getting them back.

Losing a good retrieval because you died twice is an excellent example of "once you've lost everything, you can do anything."

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Golbez posted:

When I had a bunch of souls on a bloodstain, every action I took was centered on getting them back.

Losing a good retrieval because you died twice is an excellent example of "once you've lost everything, you can do anything."

The real :darksouls: starts here.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Note, 2-handing a Zweihander while under-strength is no way to take on a Gaping Dragon. Got me another tail weapon though.

In other news, hosed up a ton a Basilisks today. Yay for Halberd+5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Jonny Nox posted:

In other news, hosed up a ton a Basilisks today. Yay for Halberd+5

I love the Halberd. It was my main weapon for my first playthough. The attack speed is pretty good and the range is really great. Lets you poke most enemies before they get in range to hit you back, and just keep poking away until they die. It's heavy attack is also good for sweeping out a bunch of enemies at once.

• Locked thread