Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
I know a guy who used to be in the army and all he does is post fake news stories about evil Muslims destroying Are Culture or pictures of semi obscure military equipment with the caption "LIKE IF YOU KNOW WHAT THIS IS".

He used to do the first thing before he joined up but the second thing is new and has made him like 20% worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

I know a guy who used to be in the army and all he does is post fake news stories about evil Muslims destroying Are Culture or pictures of semi obscure military equipment with the caption "LIKE IF YOU KNOW WHAT THIS IS".

He used to do the first thing before he joined up but the second thing is new and has made him like 20% worse.

This is the kind of person military attracts, yes. Also, It's the kind most likely to serve bare minimum or get kicked out for stupidity/offenses. He will forever think of himself as a hero, worthy of special treatment.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

"Garbage in, garbage out" is applicable to just about any process, not just in computer science.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Any notion I had about joining the military were put out of my head because I live near two major naval bases, and 100% of the people I've met who serve on either of them are complete loving idiots.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

"I mean, after a while you build up your calluses you know?"

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Cowslips Warren posted:

I have to say I do love the Dear Kitten ads, even if I can't remember what the poo poo cat food it's for.

I think it's from Purina, which gave my cat some sort of horrible urinary problem. Those ads really are so cute though.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

ahhhhhhhhh

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Oh god, my fingers twitch reflexively just looking at that. Burn pain is worst pain. :(

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I also dig the fact that she's got no solder, or flux, or solder station to put the iron back into when she's done poking at a surface-mount board.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

"When you're done I'll write the report."

Doctor Malaver has a new favorite as of 22:51 on Mar 7, 2016

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Cowslips Warren posted:

I have to say I do love the Dear Kitten ads, even if I can't remember what the poo poo cat food it's for.

In case you don't know, the talent behind them is Ze Frank, who used to update his own youtube channel regularly until he signed on with Purina. His highlights include the sad dog and sad cat diaries, and the "Real Facts" series, where he does these little animal mini-docs that are hilarious. He's got lots of other content too though.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

What is this even advertising? How is it so wrong?!

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Xun posted:

What is this even advertising?

Skin grafts.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Xun posted:

I just can't get over the size of the rocks on her lobes and finger. She might be poo poo at soldering, but someone loves her. (Zales)

You Are A Elf posted:

Skin grafts.

:golfclap:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Xun posted:

That's a soldering iron, and it gets very hot in order to... melt solder.

Instead of holding it by the handle, her hand is around the metal bit that heats up.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I always find it funny when they show solidly middle class White people doing the job of Asian children.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

He's asking how they managed to make it so wrong, not what's wrong about it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's not advertising anything. It's just a stock photo. I saw it on reddit earlier today.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

AlphaKretin posted:

He's asking how they managed to make it so wrong, not what's wrong about it.

I was going to ask that, though, so thanks.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
This was, IIRC, from one of those moronic "Solar Freaking Roadways/Building Siding/Whatever!!! le oatmeal omg!!!!" kickstarters from last year.

"yep got my hardhat and orange vest on, time to go check this asphalt with a multimeter so we look sciency and not like a scam"

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I don't know how it is in the rest of the world, but for a couple of months here I've seen Lift (Coke's lemon squash in case it's not a global think) rebranded to Lift flavoured Fanta. Now all of a sudden, some - but not all - bottles are back to being just Lift. What is/was the point? :psyduck:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

I don't know how it is in the rest of the world, but for a couple of months here I've seen Lift (Coke's lemon squash in case it's not a global think) rebranded to Lift flavoured Fanta. Now all of a sudden, some - but not all - bottles are back to being just Lift. What is/was the point? :psyduck:

Not a global thing, but available in various markets around the globe. I've no answer as to why its going back to Lift mind you, or why it changed only in Australia to the Lift Fanta branding.

Cross-market product names are a funny thing and often subject to byzantine internal struggles at a company. For instance, McDonald's Quarter Pounder uses the McRoyal name in some European markets (but different McRoyal names in those markets), has a different measurement name in Brazil, and in China uses an outdated non-imperial and non-metric measurement system to weigh the patty.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

AlphaKretin posted:

I'd never heard of Lift, so my guess is they were considering spreading out where it was sold, but that branding it as Fanta would give it a more familiar name in those places that have never had Lift. However, they don't want to lose people who identify with Lift, so they keep Lift in the name rather than just making it Lemon Fanta or whatever, but that goes over bad, so they go back.

I've noticed this with Wonka Candies in the US, where several candies that used to be their own brand are now branded as versions of a better well known brand. Shockers are sour chewy candy, but are now rebranded as Chewy Sweettarts, Sweettarts being much more popular, at least in the US.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

Not a global thing, but available in various markets around the globe. I've no answer as to why its going back to Lift mind you, or why it changed only in Australia to the Lift Fanta branding.

Cross-market product names are a funny thing and often subject to byzantine internal struggles at a company. For instance, McDonald's Quarter Pounder uses the McRoyal name in some European markets (but different McRoyal names in those markets), has a different measurement name in Brazil, and in China uses an outdated non-imperial and non-metric measurement system to weigh the patty.

What do they call it in China?

Around here McDonald's has pretty much killed the dollar menu. There's one, maybe 2 items left on it? And then they started a Get 2 for $5 deal for a few sandwiches but they seem a lot less busy than before.

I put it down to the impulse buy. In some stores I deliver to, they tote impulse buys at the register....that average about $20 each. That is not an impulse buy. No one suddenly looks at a USB shaped like Tweety Bird and decides they want it. An impulse buy is almost change. Under 5 bucks. A dollar or two is easier. Plus if you think, gently caress, I can get a burger for everyone at home for under $10 and have leftovers, that's a good deal. It's cheap. But wait, 2 for 5, that means I have to get a lot more, it's not worth it.

Also, getting really sick of checking out somewhere and the poor cashier has a loving list of sales to read off to me. Did I know they have paper at 10% off? They also have all canvas prints 50% and their pens and writing utensils are 20%. Does that poo poo really increase sales?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

No one suddenly looks at a USB shaped like Tweety Bird and decides they want it.
Speak for yourself

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!

Cowslips Warren posted:

No one suddenly looks at a USB shaped like Tweety Bird and decides they want it.

I'm a sucker for stupid novelty lighters to be very honest. I currently have one in my car that looks like an electric guitar and plays music when you light it. I don't even smoke.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

Around here McDonald's has pretty much killed the dollar menu. There's one, maybe 2 items left on it? And then they started a Get 2 for $5 deal for a few sandwiches but they seem a lot less busy than before.

I put it down to the impulse buy. In some stores I deliver to, they tote impulse buys at the register....that average about $20 each. That is not an impulse buy. No one suddenly looks at a USB shaped like Tweety Bird and decides they want it. An impulse buy is almost change. Under 5 bucks. A dollar or two is easier. Plus if you think, gently caress, I can get a burger for everyone at home for under $10 and have leftovers, that's a good deal. It's cheap. But wait, 2 for 5, that means I have to get a lot more, it's not worth it.

Also, getting really sick of checking out somewhere and the poor cashier has a loving list of sales to read off to me. Did I know they have paper at 10% off? They also have all canvas prints 50% and their pens and writing utensils are 20%. Does that poo poo really increase sales?

I just noticed our local McDonalds got rid of their dollar menu. Not that I'm really jonesing for some Micky D's, but I have a kid who hasn't outgrown nuggets yet.

I think all the fast food joints have been trying to find a way out of their dollar menus for a long time. McDonald's has had such a boon with their all day breakfast that I guess they figure this is the best time to yank off the band aid.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

I'm glad she's wearing eye protection.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

"Full three taels" or however you pronounce the old Chinese imperial ounce measure as that varies.

The mcpick 2 gimmick is exactly as described a way out of the dollar menu. McDonalds globally sees the value menu as dragging down their brand as it tries to transition to more upscale products.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Also burger King has been doing it for years so why not leech off their success.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Barudak posted:

"Full three taels" or however you pronounce the old Chinese imperial ounce measure as that varies.

The mcpick 2 gimmick is exactly as described a way out of the dollar menu. McDonalds globally sees the value menu as dragging down their brand as it tries to transition to more upscale products.

I was excited when the Mcdouble was essentially $1 again. But nope they just changed it to a regular cheeseburger.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

C.M. Kruger posted:

This was, IIRC, from one of those moronic "Solar Freaking Roadways/Building Siding/Whatever!!! le oatmeal omg!!!!" kickstarters from last year.

"yep got my hardhat and orange vest on, time to go check this asphalt with a multimeter so we look sciency and not like a scam"

Don't worry, he's just checking the grounding :haw:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Barudak posted:

Mcdonalds will never go upscale because every single one of their locations is a greasy cesspit where only the poorest of the poor go to eat.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Screaming Idiot posted:

Mcdonalds will never go upscale because every single one of their locations is a greasy cesspit where only the poorest of the poor go to eat.

They've been advertising table service in LA. Because the problem with McDonalds was that eating there doesn't take enough time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

They've been advertising table service in LA. Because the problem with McDonalds was that eating there doesn't take enough time.

Premium is relative within fast food. Their build your own taste burgers were doing quite well globally when I last saw and in global markets the products they consider premium such as the Milan design expo burgers did extremely well for them. They're also attempting to lower salt and fat content across the board and use more sustainable food products such as palm oils, beef, and eggs.

I'm not saying they'll be gourmet but the brand in general has made a conscious effort since the new CEO to be seen as less poo poo for you food. Given how the U.S. operates expect those changes to be felt last and least there.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I don't understand why they don't integrate this with at-table ordering, too. Last time I was at an airport basically all their restaurants with places to sit had iPads for ordering at each seat.

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!
Wtf? McDonald's is the lovely dollar menu. It's just mind boggling that in a time where there are so many gourmet burger places that maccas wants a piece. They have a reputation for being poo poo and cheap. Embrace it! Now they're just poo poo and expensive.
The only thing that's $1 here are the frozen drinks, and they must make bank on that. If I could get a chicken mccheese alongside my frozen Coke for $2 then I would become a very unhealthy individual.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The problem is they've been hemmoraging business because of "upscale" fast food like Panera and Chipotle, which millenials see as paying a little bit more for something not associated with greasy poor food.

McDonald's has, after decades of business practices, become associated with all things terrible in everything, hell we call lovely jobs a McJob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

RagnarokAngel posted:

The problem is they've been hemmoraging business because of "upscale" fast food like Panera and Chipotle, which millenials see as paying a little bit more for something not associated with greasy poor food.

McDonald's has, after decades of business practices, become associated with all things terrible in everything, hell we call lovely jobs a McJob.

I think we went through this in one of these marketing/iosm threads about eight months ago when there was the :supaburn:McDonalds is Going Out of Business:supaburn: scare. My position now, as then, is that McDonalds needs to go the opposite direction and play the shadow marketing angle - reduce their menu to "staples," play "tradition" instead of "cool," get some of the funny linolum colours back. Nobody goes to McDonalds because they want healthy or upscale. People go there because they want familiar and convenient and cheap. Play to your strengths - massively successful marketing campaigns have been built around less, and those strengths would play very well with Coke's own core branding. If McDonalds want "Millenial" dollars, they shouldplay the camp angle and become a mild caricature of the McDonalds that the oldest "millenials" might foggily remember from the late 80s and early 90s.