Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

xaarman posted:

FYI TSA precheck is automatic for all military members.

when booking tickets, under Known Traveler ID, enter your DoD ID number.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/special-procedures/military-travelers

covers civ service people (not contractors) too, but they have to opt-in via milconnect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
I got hit up to go work in Saudi for a year. 90K a year tax free does sound pretty good and if I wasn't on a long lease I'd hop on that immediately.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Whoever was asking about going 3D1X3 in the guard - fuckin' don't.

Legitimately it's full of bronies, people with no-poo poo actual autism, and super smash brothers fanboys.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

invision posted:

Legitimately it's full of bronies, people with no-poo poo actual autism, and super smash brothers fanboys.

So whoever was asking probably fits just fine :v:

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

invision posted:

So, the same as active duty?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I met the ultimate 3D1X3 airman. He was a "bwony" because he couldn't pronounce Rs. He would introduce himself for the first time by mentioning that he wanted to be pegged. When he wore street clothes, he wore his sand T underneath his regular shirt. He flew to Chicago to have sex with someone who quite possibly could have been underage. That's your future as a radio troop.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Worlds Greatest Air Force, a lofty title along with smartest retard

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I met the ultimate 3D1X3 airman. He was a "bwony" because he couldn't pronounce Rs. He would introduce himself for the first time by mentioning that he wanted to be pegged. When he wore street clothes, he wore his sand T underneath his regular shirt. He flew to Chicago to have sex with someone who quite possibly could have been underage. That's your future as a radio troop.

Being pegged is awesome.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yes, but is that the first thing you tell people when you meet them?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
That is pretty weird.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It's not science fiction. It's what we do every day.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Godholio posted:

It's not science fiction. It's what we do every day.

Reminds me, I never got to fight that dragon.. Just get my rear end kicked by an angry drunk Guamanian who wouldn't shut up about how much he hated Marines even though I said "Me too buddy" but the high and tight sent his rear end in to a blind fury I suppose.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Booblord Zagats posted:

Reminds me, I never got to fight that dragon.. Just get my rear end kicked by an angry drunk Guamanian who wouldn't shut up about how much he hated Marines even though I said "Me too buddy" but the high and tight sent his rear end in to a blind fury I suppose.

Jokes on you for having a high and tight

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

invision posted:

Jokes on you for having a high and tight

I was an PFC that didn't know any we could have other haircuts

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
"canine-equine exhibitions"

From the latest JQP article, simply amazing.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Booblord Zagats posted:

I was an PFC that didn't know any we could have other haircuts

Only registered members can see post attachments!

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 4, 2016

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
In personal af news, my debit card number was somehow stolen and used to purchase $1100 worth of hotel rewards points in Atlanta yesterday. USAA was pretty quick to let me know, and I got the card turned off, a new one sent out, and a claim to have the money put back. However, since I'm broke now I need to hit my shirt up for a commissary gift card. These cards are only $50, but my shirt is acting like they are a precious finite resource that are to be jealously guarded.

In September I went into a no pay status because MPS didn't update my projected extension (my own loving troop no less), and I kept that quiet. I only told my boss, who loaned me $50 to get some groceries, and our civilian section chief also gave me some money. After a month and everything was settled, the shirt and our squadron SUPT came to see me to give me a kind of reprimand.

"Why didn't you tell us this happened?!" asked the Shirt, brow furrowed in feigned concern.

"We could have helped!" followed the SUPT, with a glance towards an envelope the shirt was holding.

The shirt opened this envelope and gave me two gift cards for a total of $100! I was able to get enough at the commissary to last 5 days until everything was back to normal. Afterward, they told me to let them know the next time something like this happened.

Well, Thursday morning at 0715 I went into their office thinking things would be taken care of. USAA had a claim in already, my card was off, and I was doing what I was told: telling my shirt I needed help. Well, now the shirt kind of eyes me suspiciously like I'm trying to cheat her out of these cards. Six months after my no pay status, I get robbed, and I come to her first thing like she told me six months ago. Her first reaction is to tell me she can give me one card, but only after another day, so the bank can try to work my claim. Then she asks if I tried to get a falcon loan or use the AFAF. gently caress no! Those are pains in the rear end compared to just coming to see you like you told me to in September. Why now am I being told that you should be my last resource? Then, why would you tell a guy who just got robbed, and who six months ago didn't get paid for a month, that "I only have so many of these, and I want to make sure you're not the only one who gets them."

OH gently caress you.

After lunch, I called USAA and they told me there's nothing they can do until the charges post, which will probably be tonight or Monday. I'm broke, over the weekend, out of groceries, and my shirt is himmin' and hawin' over my case, thinking it's not legit, wondering why I didn't try to get a falcon loan. Then she asked me for a signed document from the bank, and to meet her later today with the squadron SUPT. I fully expect to hear about how I should have an emergency fund and a savings for this kind of poo poo, but gently caress that. If you have a drawer full of gift cards why should I dip into my savings?

Whatever. I've come to expect nothing less.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
lol if you're still in

also if you don't have a savings account

edit: or a credit card

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 4, 2016

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
Where are you stationed? Maybe a goon can help you out for the weekend until your bank unfucks your situation.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Get a credit card

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
thats why you dont use a loving debit card

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What is it with people in the air force only using debit cards? I can't tell you how many times I've seen my friends say they can't buy something or can't get lunch because their debit card got messed up or their account got overdrawn by mistake. I have two credit cards and a debit card, I have never had this problem.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe because those same people know they'll buy shitloads of stuff and put it all on credit and slowly sink into unending credit card debt. A debit card is going to keep them from spending money they don't have.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

SalTheBard posted:

When were you at Keesler? I was there in 2001 and there was a Littlejohn when I went to Keesler that was a perpetual gently caress up

invision posted:

And yet it was somehow better than making Bloomin' OnionTM? :iiam:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

lol if you're still in

also if you don't have a savings account

edit: or a credit card

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

Get a credit card

go3 posted:

Cojawfee posted:

What is it with people in the air force only using debit cards? I can't tell you how many times I've seen my friends say they can't buy something or can't get lunch because their debit card got messed up or their account got overdrawn by mistake. I have two credit cards and a debit card, I have never had this problem.

preemptive officer privilege

but I can't imagine life without a credit card or two. Not because I max out balances every month on hookers because I'm spending all my cash on blow (not a bad idea though), but because my "emergency fund" is my emergency fund............plus the several thousand dollars more I have for a credit limit on my credit cards. It's literally "free money" from a "holy gently caress my account got cleaned out I have no money until the 15th" perspective.

that said lol at your shirt and supt

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

iyaayas01 posted:

preemptive officer privilege

but I can't imagine life without a credit card or two. Not because I max out balances every month on hookers because I'm spending all my cash on blow (not a bad idea though), but because my "emergency fund" is my emergency fund............plus the several thousand dollars more I have for a credit limit on my credit cards. It's literally "free money" from a "holy gently caress my account got cleaned out I have no money until the 15th" perspective.

that said lol at your shirt and supt

Also you use it to pay for everything you would pay for anyway, but with rewards systems you also get a free vacation every year or two

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Prop Wash posted:

Also you use it to pay for everything you would pay for anyway, but with rewards systems you also get a free vacation every year or two

also that, yes

and the fact that fraudulent charges are basically taken care of with a "nope, sure didn't pay for that" "Okay, we'll get those off your card!"

something something dave ramsey something something

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Have a credit card.

Have a savings.

Didn't want to use either because ayy lmao shirt said let me know if this poo poo happens again. Shirt didn't help, so I had to use them.

go3 posted:

:stare: Yea don't use a debit card in 2016.

USAA is being really dumb about this though. They won't move or act on my claim until the charges post, which I'm told won't be until Monday. I made the claim on Thursday, they said it'll be about 2 days, which means it should have happened yesterday. They didn't tell me about having to wait until the charges go through. I don't understand why.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 5, 2016

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

USAA is being really dumb about this though. They won't move or act on my claim until the charges post, which I'm told won't be until Monday. I made the claim on Thursday, they said it'll be about 2 days, which means it should have happened yesterday. They didn't tell me about having to wait until the charges go through. I don't understand why.

They should've told you about it but it makes sense they can't do anything about it until the money actually changes hands, which is what it means when they post

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Ugh. Being robbed sucks :(

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
So is Intel really that bad?

Im at that juncture in my ANG career where I can crosstrain to a new enlisted AFSC without it being too cumbersome (Im a staff but not a fully qualified 7 level yet, will be 28 on wednesday, single no children). Intel has always piqued my interest, ive always heard about the "civilian opportunities" that can arise from it, and Intel is one of the few fields that i think i wouldnt mind being an Officer in, plus ALOT of cities/states that i wouldnt mind relocating to perform the Intel mission (California, Tacoma WA, Houston, Nashville, Panama City)

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Which Intel afsc? There's a lot of difference between the 4.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
I don't regret my time in Intel.

What is it that's worrying you? Autism isn't contagious so your safe if your not already on the spectrum.

The job satisfaction in Intel is usually tied to mission.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
One of my biggest regrets regarding my short Air Force career was passing on a guaranteed intel job to be a loving crew chief.

My recruiter must have thought I was brain damaged.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

can't imagine how anyone could work in elint without contracting autism though

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

One of my biggest regrets regarding my short Air Force career was passing on a guaranteed intel job to be a loving crew chief.

Probably shortly after meeting you :smaug:

But being a crew chief is awesome. You get your name on the jet!

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

xsf421 posted:

There's a few more than 4 Intel AFSC's. Theirs a retarded number of sub AFSC's and specialties. And one entire discipline of Intel that isn't even done by an Intel AFSC but instead by OSI. (Counterintelligence)

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

I also turned down intel for Fuel Systems (mind you both traditional guard slots) because I was a impatient and dumbass 21 year old who wanted a bonus and short tech school..

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, I was a 1N4 for 6 years. If you want career options on the outside you probably want either 1N4A, 1N1, or maybe a 1N3 if you can get a guaranteed language you want. The coolness of the job is definitely tied to your mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

xsf421 posted:

I spoke to you about it before and i keep forgetting to find out which one the 123rd Airlift Wing (my home base) does

• Locked thread