Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i thought she showed up, shanked the cultist, then the woman thought she was being rescued but actually the antiquarian just wanted to do the ritual herself so as to get all the ~Forbidden Knowledge~ while yelling PSYCHE and HOW QUICKLY THE TIDE TURNS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

i thought she showed up, shanked the cultist, then the woman thought she was being rescued but actually the antiquarian just wanted to do the ritual herself so as to get all the ~Forbidden Knowledge~ while yelling PSYCHE and HOW QUICKLY THE TIDE TURNS

it's this

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

On second thought I think it might be this. Thing that bugs me is that that would be better shown by her not being in the first panel to imply that she shows up halfway through instead of having been there from the beginning.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

I got that but what's the deal with the lantern changing color in the middle there?

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

Mzbundifund posted:

Some of these comics don't make a lot of sense. I'm still not sure what's going on with the Man-at-Arms' one.

If I read it correctly, MaA was basically a soldier whose army was full to the brim with gently caress-ups, and he wound up being the only survivor of some huge battle? A lot of these are pretty straightforward, but they dropped the ball on both of those it seems.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I thought he was trying to save some greenhorn kid and keep him alive through a battle, but then he found out the kid had died or something.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

i thought he and the kid were getting hit with friendly fire...
maybe they should've been two page comics.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I can respect the purity of wanting to convey a character's story arc in a single, wordless scene confined to a solitary page, the issue here is more likely just that the game's illustrator doesn't have a great handle on comics as a storytelling format. Not necessarily a poor one either, but not a great one - which shows here.

Least someone think I'm badmouthing him, you can be a great illustrator and still not understand how best to utilize some other aspect of the arts.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
this is pbf comics all over again

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
FWIW I love all the others. Those are pretty great, and now that I know what the Antiquarian's about I even like that one! MaA... just confuses me.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Normal Adult Human posted:

this is pbf comics all over again

The censer is politics!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Probe 17 posted:

FWIW I love all the others. Those are pretty great, and now that I know what the Antiquarian's about I even like that one! MaA... just confuses me.

He was the last survivor and everybody killed each other. That's what I took from it anyway

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Probe 17 posted:

literally every single one of them needed to be explained. degenerates thought that the highwayman raided the wagon to steal the baby

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
How about the Anti killed the cultist doing the sacrifice, picked up his lantern, and then got possessed by it? And thus completed the ritual?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

degenerates thought that the highwayman raided the wagon to steal the baby

This is actually better than the canonical storyline.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Onmi posted:

How about the Anti killed the cultist doing the sacrifice, picked up his lantern, and then got possessed by it? And thus completed the ritual?

the lantern is the color of her hair, and he doesn't know how to read.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
the lantern changes to gold because when she equips an item, it increases your GOLD reward when doing poo poo like killing virgins and soon the bad dudes that the ancestor stirred up. And/or her equipping items has other effects on said items.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
the lantern changes color because its imbued with the life force of whatever of the dude she just killed

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Dear god, mousing over the curio icon on scouted squares will tell you if it is a quest objective or not. Warrens pick quests just got a shitton easier.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

literally every single one of them needed to be explained.
this is why one page comics of complex backstories are bad

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

literally every single one of them needed to be explained. degenerates thought that the highwayman raided the wagon to steal the baby
What. How.

I'm pretty critical of these little backstory comics they've been churning out but that one I thought was pretty unambiguous.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
First Darkest Dungeon quest down! Shambler down! No survivors even though I packed like 12 bandages! My best Hellion, Crusader, Vestal and Grave Robber dead. :downs:

Oh well, at the very least it was my first attempt.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I honestly found the first one to be the roughest. The other two have gimmicks you can work around to ultimately take less damage, the first one is just a series of tough fights and then a tough boss.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The first was definitely the worst for me. I expected the second mission to be beastly as well but managed to steamroll it with a properly prepared marking team.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
The second Darkest Dungeon run went pretty smoothly for me too. I wish I could say it was because of any brilliant strategic moves on my part but mostly it was because my Vestal decided to get a virtue after being brought to 100 stress by Revelation on the first templar fight and started buffing the party every round for the rest of the dungeon. Not exactly something I'd try to repeat on purpose.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
On NG+ the second was the hardest by a significant margin. The first isn't nearly as bad with good planning and a solid party, while the third is ridiculously easier if you know the gimmick and where to go. There's really no good way to deal with the templars in the second one, and the double templar fight is really scary.

Then again, my party for the second mission was Arbalest+Arbalest+Houndsmaster+Maa which is HARDLY ideal so that probably contributes to my outlook.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Holy poo poo tentacles everywhere :stare:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I haven't played this game in a week. Both of my Vestals and one of my Occultists were spent on DD 1-3 and I really really really want a Vestal for DD4. So I grabbed two fresh off the wagon and leveled them up. One got to five, The Collector spawned in the quest that would have gotten her to level six. The Flasher doesn't scare me, but two Dismas' critted her for 29 damage and bled her out. Deathblow.

Ugh. Demoralizing.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
How quickly the tide turns a dizzying blow to body and brain.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

lmao

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Okay so it really is PBF all over again.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I beat my first two long champion dungeons last night, and I have to say my Vestal with the Ancestor's Pistol was far and away the MVP. It makes a huge difference knowing that clutch Judgment or Dazzling Light isn't going to miss. Also I like the mental image of my battle nun getting impatient with the Light and shooting a crone in the face.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I really don't think the Templars are that bad at all. They're a damage race, but one you will easily win if you brought the torches and a stunner to make them lose their non-Revelation turn a few times or a debuffer. Try bringing an Occultist and a party with very high damage output, crush the adds, then lock down the Templar with Weakening Curse. For the double Templar fight you just gotta dogpile one of them and then lock down the other one, recover a bit, and finish it off quick. Everyone in the party needs good damage output, and since Templars are Eldritch an Occultist contributes more than a Vestal (high crit Sacrificial Stabs, Abyssal Artillery for the double Polyp, can debuff over healing for consistency).

DD1 was a much bigger deal but I think part of that was just not having enough Bleed Resist. I figured a PD and bandage stacks were good enough to deal with all the bleeding and I was wrong, you're way better off if you can resist them.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

If each adventurer had access to all of their skills at any time, which would be the best class? Hellion? Houndmaster?

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Coolguye posted:

this is why one page comics of complex backstories are bad

Just pretend its a loss edit and move on

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Just pretend its a loss edit and move on

i think it looks better as one

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

If each adventurer had access to all of their skills at any time, which would be the best class? Hellion? Houndmaster?
Houndmaster and Crusader. They both get full-enemy attack coverage, AoE, a stun, heals, and stress heals. The Houndmaster has a Guard and the Crusader has better targeting and more HP.

Hellion would be good but too focused, same with Man-at-Arms. Plague Doctor would not have to make any difficult choices, and Occultist/Vestal would resist shuffles a bit better by just using different attacks.

Also perhaps Abomination, if he had access to all skills in either form, but that's kinda cheating.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Coolguye posted:

i think it looks better as one

Definitely better.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Plague Doctor

the answer to every question of best class is Plague Doctor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

plague dogctor