Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
If there's a good, cheap discard engine I feel the good ol' days of UG madness can come back. Soul Swallower seems like it could be a house if you can reliably get delirium.

Where's Satyr Wayfinder when you need him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Balon posted:

If there's a good, cheap discard engine I feel the good ol' days of UG madness can come back. Soul Swallower seems like it could be a house if you can reliably get delirium.

Where's Satyr Wayfinder when you need him?

Thought Scour reprint when

Alaan
May 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/lsv/status/707035070847057920

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Gridlocked posted:

Thought Scour reprint when

The really sad thing is that the biggest enabler right now is *shudder* flip Jace.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Balon posted:

The really sad thing is that the biggest enabler right now is *shudder* flip Jace.

I am just really really sick of Jace. It seems every 2nd Jace is over-pushed. Like what Living Guildpact is the only one that has been universily bad; all the others had a place in their Standard if not dominating multiple formats and Cube.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 8, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I would rather a card be pushed than not pushed, boring, and forgettable

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

TheKingofSprings posted:

I would rather a card be pushed than not pushed, boring, and forgettable

I would rather we saw a different blue planeswalker for a while.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I just wish they stopped giving the blue walkers all of the best, most relevant abilities all of the time. Like, Flip Jace is good - card draw engines always are. When he flips he has a ton of loyalty, protects himself, and lets you cast your BEST SPELLS again.

And now we're heading in to a block where his only downside is now one of his biggest upsides.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Balon posted:

I just wish they stopped giving the blue walkers all of the best, most relevant abilities all of the time. Like, Flip Jace is good - card draw engines always are. When he flips he has a ton of loyalty, protects himself, and lets you cast your BEST SPELLS again.

And now we're heading in to a block where his only downside is now one of his biggest upsides.

No man red gets those effects too.

They're just significantly worse and usually have a noticeable downside.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Jace's downside isn't all that terrible right now simply because of Delve. And if you discarded an instant or sorcery you can cast it once he flips.

I can honestly say I hate that card more than Rhino.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Remember when 90% of the podcasts and analysis was basically "2nd worst Jace ever" and I didn't buy any because I'm dumb

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

If being a werewolf and having two different arts didn't already confirm Arlinn being a flip card, LSV's propensity for puns clinches it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Entropic posted:

If being a werewolf and having two different arts didn't already confirm Arlinn being a flip card, LSV's propensity for puns clinches it.

I can't believe a flip card is coming back in the middle of transforming, even though transform cards were basically "what if flip wasn't ugly?"

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

dragon enthusiast posted:

YOU GUYS SOCK

Tamiyo: "Hell yeah!"

:five:

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

It would be super cool if they ever made a not-garbage card an intro pack rare. Like I specifically remember for Khans of Tarkir there were two cycles of wedge rares: The good ones that mosty saw standard play (Siege Rhino, Mantis Rider, Savage Knuckleblade, Butcher of the Horde, actually just kidding the Sultai one sucked) and the cycle that was maybe pretty good in Limited (All the intro pack rares).

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Lets Pickle posted:

It would be super cool if they ever made a not-garbage card an intro pack rare. Like I specifically remember for Khans of Tarkir there were two cycles of wedge rares: The good ones that mosty saw standard play (Siege Rhino, Mantis Rider, Savage Knuckleblade, Butcher of the Horde, actually just kidding the Sultai one sucked) and the cycle that was maybe pretty good in Limited (All the intro pack rares).

Well I mean, it's not like they put Jitte on the front of Rats' Nest.

They did put Eternal Witness on the front of her precon, though.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

more recently, Drowner of Hope was an intro pack rare(although I suspect they thought it wouldn't be good, I sure didn't think it would be)

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

more recently, Drowner of Hope was an intro pack rare(although I suspect they thought it wouldn't be good, I sure didn't think it would be)

Also, Doomwake Giant.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Pia and Kiran Nalaar is the red Origins pack rare and is played in Modern in the most expensive deck.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

why did chandra, flamecaller shoot up to $20?

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.

minoru suzuki posted:

why did chandra, flamecaller shoot up to $20?

SoI madness deck

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

It would be nice if WotC didn't break modern with Sol lands at the same time they released a set named SoI.

Bellicose Buddha
Mar 16, 2009

The tongue like,
A sharp knife,
Kills,
Without drawing blood.
You sure you want to draw yours?
So it looks like the Zendikar Expeditions are falling in price, which kinda sucks because I got one of the dual land foils in a random BFZ pack I just picked up on the weekend. :smith:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Bellicose Buddha posted:

So it looks like the Zendikar Expeditions are falling in price, which kinda sucks because I got one of the dual land foils in a random BFZ pack I just picked up on the weekend. :smith:

Yeah the one I packed is only like 60 bucks but whatever free 60 bucks.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bellicose Buddha posted:

Give it a few years.

Count Bleck posted:

Also, Doomwake Giant.
When intro pack rares are good it's in one weird deck and even then they never quite crack the $5 mark. Drowner of Hope is winning pro tours and GPs left and right and somehow it still looks enough like intro-pack draft-fodder that the normal version hasn't cracked $2.

Why haven't the Standard cards from the Modern Eldrazi deck spiked much anyway? Is everyone just cringing in anticipation of the incoming ban or was there just some kind of collective agreement that "the lands are going to be the expensive cards in this deck"?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

Give it a few years.

When intro pack rares are good it's in one weird deck and even then they never quite crack the $5 mark. Drowner of Hope is winning pro tours and GPs left and right and somehow it still looks enough like intro-pack draft-fodder that the normal version hasn't cracked $2.

Why haven't the Standard cards from the Modern Eldrazi deck spiked much anyway? Is everyone just cringing in anticipation of the incoming ban or was there just some kind of collective agreement that "the lands are going to be the expensive cards in this deck"?

The pack rare Drowner has like 10 billion times better art than the intro pack Drowner.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I think the supply is just yuuge. Lot of open zenny packs.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

The pack rare Drowner has like 10 billion times better art than the intro pack Drowner.

A lot of the time it feels like they commissioned multiple arts and then picked the best one for the real card and relegated the less-good ones to promos.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Entropic posted:

I think it's a combination of supply being large and everyone waiting for the bans. I mean even Eye, Urborg, and Temple have dropped a ton. There may be a bit of a jump after the bans when people adjust (and you may see more eldrazi pop up in standard) but as for now they haven't impacted standard much, and are only being used in the modern deck that everyone's anticipating being banned out.

As an aside, I don't think the deck will survive the loss of either temple or eye. It just seems to crater without one of the lands and going from 8 to 4 in a deck is gonna mean a lot more mulligans/whiffs. It may morph into some pseudo-Jund where it's B/R/C or something but I'm still not sure that's enough.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Entropic posted:

A lot of the time it feels like they commissioned multiple arts and then picked the best one for the real card and relegated the less-good ones to promos.

I don't know what you mean.

http://magiccards.info/fnmp/en/155.html

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Awesome Therese Nielsen art vs. My Little Centaur is exactly the example I was thinking of.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

What was going on with Palumbo in RTR block? He came out with that godawful Skyknight Legionnaire art too, when he's capable of stuff like Pithing Needle, Public Execution, Cultivate, or Helm of the Gods.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The one promo in recent memory I really loved was Hall of Triumph.
It just looks so good in foil.

especially compared to the bland original:

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
I like the original but it's probably not best served by the size it is on the card.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Why is Legion Loyalist 10 bucks?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sleep of Bronze posted:

I like the original but it's probably not best served by the size it is on the card.
There's a lot of good art in Magic that looks bad in a 2" square.

mcmagic posted:

It spiked when Goblin Piledriver was printed into modern and then forgot to un-spike, as these things are wont to do.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

mcmagic posted:

People trying to force Goblins in Modern after Piledriver was printed.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Entropic posted:

There's a lot of good art in Magic that looks bad in a 2" square.

It spiked when Goblin Piledriver was printed into modern and then forgot to un-spike, as these things are wont to do.

That isn't true. It was 2 dollars a week ago. It's spiking now for some reason. Though I'm not sure what that is...

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
It's because Saffron Olive ran 5-0 with budget 8-Whack last week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Entropic posted:

Nah, it's the same reason *insert any stupid card* doubles in price in 2 days: Saffron Olive. That guy has to make a ton of money just buying 20 copies of every card in his decks.

• Locked thread