Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

beuges posted:

So did this big revelation ever materialize? Or was it one of the minor announcements over the past week or so that didn't cause any excitement whatsoever?

Oh crap I forgot to hold my breath.

I'm getting random crashes with WP10 .107, dual SIM 640. Also Facebook keeps opening with the same post from last week "syncing contacts" each time, and Here Transit seems to think it's starting for the first time each time, txt mssgs go into endless loading on hitting the toast (response from toast is fine and dandy though).

Also anyone else think Maps is a little too messy now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Drastic Actions posted:

Devops, mostly making tools for other engineers, and I maintain one customer facing site. And I still will.

Welcome aboard. Enjoy the stack ranking :v:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

wookieepelt posted:

I didn't know they had free videos. I purchased the Mad Max collection and all of the movies are showing up on my phone. What did you purchase? I'll try to duplicate that.

The Venture Bros, they're under either season six or a separate extras section?

Edit: Just checked on my Surface and the videos appear there as well, so it's definitely my phone rather than any regional restrictions.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Feb 29, 2016

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Mr Funkface posted:

Oh crap I forgot to hold my breath.

I'm getting random crashes with WP10 .107, dual SIM 640. Also Facebook keeps opening with the same post from last week "syncing contacts" each time, and Here Transit seems to think it's starting for the first time each time, txt mssgs go into endless loading on hitting the toast (response from toast is fine and dandy though).

Also anyone else think Maps is a little too messy now?

Latest update is crashing and hanging for me too. Not much fun, had only just gotten to a state where it was feeling pretty solid :(

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The Venture Bros, they're under either season six or a separate extras section?

Edit: Just checked on my Surface and the videos appear there as well, so it's definitely my phone rather than any regional restrictions.

I just "purchased" the sneak peak on my surface and they show up on my phone. It took it a minute to show up, but there's no reason they shouldn't be there days later. Obvious question though, did you select TV from the hamburger menu?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
When I upgraded my HTPC to Windows 10 and the newest Video app, it took the computer about a week or two to show me The Walking Dead beyond season 1 even though I've been buying them for six years now (why am I still watching this show???). They showed up just fine on my desktop and on the web, but the app on the HTPC kept telling me that I had to purchase the episodes.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

wookieepelt posted:

I just "purchased" the sneak peak on my surface and they show up on my phone. It took it a minute to show up, but there's no reason they shouldn't be there days later. Obvious question though, did you select TV from the hamburger menu?

Yeah. It seems like the fact I'm trying to buy outside of my region might be causing some issues; I tried buying a video off the US store and it won't even show up in my desktop app now. The choice in the UK store sucks balls, and while iTunes is pretty up to date on a lot of things, it means dealing with iTunes.

I guess I'll just wait and see if the videos appear.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 29, 2016

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

beuges posted:

So did this big revelation ever materialize? Or was it one of the minor announcements over the past week or so that didn't cause any excitement whatsoever?

I've read there's an NDA on some recent and mysterious Microsoft meeting being lifted tomorrow. Others say it might be revealed at Build, which I think is at the end of March. The longer the suspense drags out, the harder it is to care.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Is there anything on the Horizon coming to Verizon/Sprint in the WP realm? It's starting to be a joke how bad the hardware schedule has been for WP since Windows 10 dropped. A 640 is not an upgrade/replacement for a 930/Icon or a M8 for Windows. :argh:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I fixed the issue I was having - I changed the region on my phone to America and the videos popped right up! It was that simple all along.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Is there a reason not to have your region set to the US? It seems that all features on WM10 are only available for US.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

wookieepelt posted:

Is there a reason not to have your region set to the US? It seems that all features on WM10 are only available for US.

Metric system and dollars are a good reason. Beyond that it's both understandable and baffling at the same time that MS has the best features only available in the US (not entirely true, but the rollout is very limited).

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I could see the whole thing about HP's bold new mobile enterprise vision being the kind of thing that would get people in boardrooms and marketing departments really excited and then fail to get anyone's attention outside them

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It'll be interesting to see the price point the HP phone ends up at.
MSFT priced the 950XL at the iPhone price point which made it DOA.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Yeah, I would expect the HP announcement is what was hinted about. Granted the thread was not very impressed, but from the baseline expectation of W10M being stillborn HP appearing to enter the market in a big way is a pretty big deal.

I have noted it before, but I in general suspect this is a rather good take for Microsoft. Their enterprise foothold does let them do a lot of stuff, and the fact that WP7/WP8 didn't actually leverage it at all (didn't have VPN or certificate-based wifi auth for the longest time even!) was a pretty huge mistake.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

loquacius posted:

I could see the whole thing about HP's bold new mobile enterprise vision being the kind of thing that would get people in boardrooms and marketing departments really excited and then fail to get anyone's attention outside them

Yeah, this is what I see happening, except it also failing to get any boardroom or marketing people's attention either.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Well Lastpass has a new logo and they are updating their software across all platforms. I sure hope someone remembers the Windows Phone 7 era app. I'm stunned it still works. They need to overhaul that junky app for real. Soon? Soon. Sure... :newlol:

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Ha, just had to reflash my 520 for the third time in it's lifetime - certain apps, even if I reinstalled them, would just crash instantly upon loading if my phone was connected to the internet. Microsfot News and Slack were the biggest culprit, but it was spreading to more apps.

Remind me to stop being a poor and upgrade eventually - shame the 650's internal specs and battery are so shite, I'm just waiting for a price drop on the 950 XL now.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Can you spare the $30 to buy a 640 to tide you over?

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Still waiting on the new Camera app to support DNG on my old 1020.

Also mad as hell that they restrict tethering support, but don't know how to ask 99% of cellular networks if you have permission to use it, so it doesn't work with my provider, T-Mobile. It helpfully pops up a prompt that asks if I wish to launch my provider's app, but it fails to launch T-Mobile's app, which doesn't have a tethering setting anyway. The same SIM supports tethering in my default phone, an iPhone 6s+. Guess I'll stick to using the Lumia as a portable camera that tries too hard, and use the iPhone as my actual phone.

I'll probably ditch the 1020 as a camera the day I can afford to replace it with a Light L16.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

kuroshi posted:

Also mad as hell that they restrict tethering support, but don't know how to ask 99% of cellular networks if you have permission to use it, so it doesn't work with my provider, T-Mobile. It helpfully pops up a prompt that asks if I wish to launch my provider's app, but it fails to launch T-Mobile's app, which doesn't have a tethering setting anyway. The same SIM supports tethering in my default phone, an iPhone 6s+. Guess I'll stick to using the Lumia as a portable camera that tries too hard, and use the iPhone as my actual phone.

I'll probably ditch the 1020 as a camera the day I can afford to replace it with a Light L16.

I've had the same issue with trying to tether my Rogers 920 on T-Mobile. Then I found this guide which is applicable to both the 920 and 1020 though it requires a foreign SIM card to work.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/251258-internet-sharing-mms-now-working-t-920-w-usa-t-mobile-sim.html

While I got it to work, I think it was more trouble than it was worth since the 920 was pretty terrible at tethering. Network performance was very inconsistent especially when compared to tethering from my Sony Z3. It was like night and day and the 920 was really unsuitable for streaming any kind of media. Don't know if this was a hardware or software issue.

When I switched to a 640XL, tethering was a little bit better and I didn't need to gently caress around with foreign SIM cards or hidden network utility apps to get it to work. However, the network quality would degrade if the phone was left on for long enough. Usually, a reboot was sufficient to fix this. My 950XL also suffers from this issue as well, among others, if left on for too long.

In any case, I have a Vodafone SIM card (or from some other UK carrier) that I can give you to get tethering working on your 1020 if I can find the thing.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 8, 2016

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
LastPass updated. New logo. Nothing else. Nice.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

kuroshi posted:

Are you running 10 on your 1020? Is the camera any faster?

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

CharlesM posted:

Are you running 10 on your 1020? Is the camera any faster?

Well, at least it's fast enough that I can manage to run Skype on the rear camera without it outright locking up due to taxing the CPU, but the frame rate still sucks.

As for taking pictures, it does that, and I haven't noticed it being any faster at it than it was with 8.1 or older versions. The new Camera is supposed to fix some of the focus issues the Lumia Camera app has, such as focusing to infinity poorly, but it still doesn't take DNG pictures at all, only full resolution JPEG, so it's kind of lame.

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

Anyone else having Bluetooth issues with their 950xl? And does yours even auto connect to your car because I have to manually connect it every time and it's a real pain in the rear end. My only complaint so far is the Bluetooth and the god awful battery life.

Tempted to do a clean install as (with all windows products) when they start to gently caress up it's just easier to do a clean install than fight it and work out what's wrong.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Tanith posted:

Can you spare the $30 to buy a 640 to tide you over?

Trust me, if I could get a 640 for £20 (rough conversion), I would, but I haven't seen prices anywhere near that here in the UK. Cheapest I can see on Microsoft's website is £100, so about $140ish I'm guessing. Why the hell do you guys get it so cheap?

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

kuroshi posted:

Is tethering different from mobile hotspot? Is it for PCs that don't have WiFi? If that's the case I used a USB WiFi on my PC for a while. I found one for $10 at Target or Best Buy. Otherwise, WM10 has a mobile hotspot toggle in the action center.

Snakes in a can posted:

Anyone else having Bluetooth issues with their 950xl? And does yours even auto connect to your car because I have to manually connect it every time and it's a real pain in the rear end. My only complaint so far is the Bluetooth and the god awful battery life.

Tempted to do a clean install as (with all windows products) when they start to gently caress up it's just easier to do a clean install than fight it and work out what's wrong.

I used to have huge issues getting my phone to connect to my car's Bluetooth. And one day it sorta fixed itself. I'd recommend a clean install, although I've noticed WM10 takes a few tries to pair devices. It's sad how that's a huge downgrade from WP 8.1.

As far as battery life, have you checked your battery usage through the settings? You might have a program running in the background eating your battery.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

DarkMalfunction posted:

Trust me, if I could get a 640 for £20 (rough conversion), I would, but I haven't seen prices anywhere near that here in the UK. Cheapest I can see on Microsoft's website is £100, so about $140ish I'm guessing. Why the hell do you guys get it so cheap?

If you can get it SIM-free, could you import it?

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

wookieepelt posted:

Is tethering different from mobile hotspot? Is it for PCs that don't have WiFi? If that's the case I used a USB WiFi on my PC for a while. I found one for $10 at Target or Best Buy. Otherwise, WM10 has a mobile hotspot toggle in the action center.

Yes, I did mean Mobile Hotspot, which my 1020 does not allow me to enable any more. The old workaround of temporarily setting the device to 3G stopped working with Windows 10 Mobile, and apparently they never fixed its ability to talk to T-Mobile. I can try the foreign SIM card method, but that sounded a bit too obscure. And then there's to consider the fact that it likes to shut off the hotspot automatically if nothing is using it for a few minutes. Oh well, my iPhone lets me set up a personal hotspot or USB or BT tether on the same SIM card. It was just a measure of convenience in case I decide to switch phones temporarily, because I'm nutty enough to swing around between devices like that.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If you can get it SIM-free, could you import it?

I don't know if the spectra/frequencies are compatible, but I'll look into it. A friend of mine runs a business in the US and regularly gets stuff flown over, so I might even be able to get him to get it in one of his shipments.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I have to use alternate Bluetooth method, and background apps tend to close but still come up on the display as paused or streaming, instead of resuming if I'm doing things before getting in the car. Otherwise it actually works really well with my band 2 and car at the same time (Volvo Sensus). 640 with Win10 .586

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
10586.107 (640 dual SIM) shat the bed (News wouldn't open, Facebook wouldn't open, constant crashes, camera app would corrupt and destroy images, no ringing for calls, sireless signals were no longer connecting). After nuking back to 8.1 I regret again putting 10 back on - apps wouldn't install, txt mssgs haven't synced until several soft resets, and of course all my poo poo needs reinstalling because I didn't restore the backup just in case.

When is WP10 ready for primetime? It's certainly not ready now, god help anyone who has been using a 950 since launch.

Before you ask, WP10 is promising visual voicemail for dual SIM phones which is why I'm persisting.

For those with tethering ("mobile hotspot"?) issues, I was having no problems despite the laundry list of problems above. 640 dual SIM (Hong Kong import), TMob US for both SIMs, one nerd plan, the other a standard pay monthly or whatever they call it. In fact surprisingly simple and easy breezy. In fact I think it tethers even on the nerd plan which shouldn't be supported (let me check this before confirming 100%).

EDIT: Oh, MixRadio's been discontinued 3 weeks ago. Note to self - stop using beta OS cause poo poo like this happens when you nuke and reinstall. In other news, any recommendations for free music streaming radio type services with no ads?

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 10, 2016

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Mix radio is still working for me as of right now. Don't think you'll get anything else that is ad free and no cost. How would they make money?

rckgrdn
Apr 26, 2002

So that's how it's made...

Sri.Theo posted:

Mix radio is still working for me as of right now. Don't think you'll get anything else that is ad free and no cost. How would they make money?
It's no longer available for download, but existing installs will still work for at least the next day or so - an update is coming that'll explain things. Then not long after that, the service will be turned off for good :(

The ad-free streaming was only possible when it was funded by the Nokia/Microsoft BOM cost, so it wasn't going to last long once that was taken away, and I can't think of any comparable ad-free atlternatives...

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Mr Funkface posted:

Before you ask, WP10 is promising visual voicemail for dual SIM phones which is why I'm persisting.

I have visual voicemail on my dual-SIM 950, but I only use one SIM so maybe that's why?

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Sri.Theo posted:

How would they make money?

Exactly.

Tivac posted:

I have visual voicemail on my dual-SIM 950, but I only use one SIM so maybe that's why?

I think it works for 950 and 950xl and others that launched with WP10 for now, they're bringing the others in line as we speak apparently. You running 14267.1004?

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 10, 2016

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Mr Funkface posted:

I think it works for 950 and 950xl and others that launched with WP10 for now, they're bringing the others in line as we speak apparently. You running 14267.1004?

Yup.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
That'd be it then - we plebs are on 10586.107 which is about 3680.993 worse. Come on VVM!

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I bit the bullet and got a 5X. Is there a way to get all my contacts off my 1020 and onto my Nexus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Clanpot Shake posted:

I bit the bullet and got a 5X. Is there a way to get all my contacts off my 1020 and onto my Nexus?

Your contacts on windows phone store "in the cloud" on with one of your accounts (maybe your Microsoft account)? Easiest way would be to import them to your google account, or just add your Microsoft account to the new phone.