Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

it is so confusing and unexpected and nonsensical that we are literally at a loss for words

we need Shaggar to explain it to us

here, let me try, *ahem*

"finally, someone made good software for linux!"
wait no hold on...
"this is like how apple released itunes on windows, to get people to buy macs"

that's more like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Eh maybe they realize that linux has sort of become the server OS of choice and they might as well accept it and adapt their products or end up having them not used?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ADINSX posted:

Eh maybe they realize that linux has sort of become the server OS of choice and they might as well accept it and adapt their products or end up having them not used?

realization that nobody wants to pay for both an OS and a database, but maybe they want to pay for just a database

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

theultimo posted:

I have 5 games on GFW marketplace I will never get to play again

FCKGW

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
wonder if sql server on linux will still take half a day to install and have important security/performance updates repeatedly mysteriously fail with error codes 0x800whatever

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MrMoo posted:

:lol: Are they saying SQL 2016 on Linux is faster than Windows?

of course it is

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
microsoft is preparing for a post-windows world. windows server never made much sense, and it's less relevant every day that goes by.

as a middleware vendor there's billions to be made selling sql server and .net support contracts on users preferred platform, instead of trying to push windows on them

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

MrMoo posted:

:lol: Are they saying SQL 2016 on Linux is faster than Windows?

i didn't see anything in there about it. It will be nice for enterprises still trapped on Linux to finally get a good db server.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
ms sql is the worst dbms and it's astounding that ms actually charges money for it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
MS SQL is actually the best. Like nothing else even comes close. someone will probably come in here and go "bluhh bluhh oracle" but they don't know if their oracle server is good. all they know about it is they paid oracle a lot of money for it.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

MS SQL is actually the best. Like nothing else even comes close. someone will probably come in here and go "bluhh bluhh oracle" but they don't know if their oracle server is good. all they know about it is they paid oracle a lot of money for it.

oracle fans are too delusional to post in yospos which is saying something because you post here

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Shaggar posted:

shaggar was maybe right, but i don't know in this particular case because i am not a db janitor

pram
Jun 10, 2001

SO DEMANDING posted:

here, let me try, *ahem*

"finally, someone made good software for linux!"

Shaggar posted:

i didn't see anything in there about it. It will be nice for enterprises still trapped on Linux to finally get a good db server.

nailed it

pram
Jun 10, 2001
anyway RIP windows server

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

why is everyone talking about games for windows live when microsoft just announced sql server for linux

they're both services being shoehorned into environments where they are neither wanted or needed

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
also lol what a poo poo product placement

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

"it was totally a softball question!"

--some mid level pr guy, clutching his desk knickknacks in a brown bankers box

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug

ahmeni posted:

also lol what a poo poo product placement

I'm the naive ho

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

JewKiller 3000 posted:

ms sql is the worst dbms

not in a world where mysql exists.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Ben Grahams Ghost posted:

I'm the naive ho

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
So what is a good DB program then?

Also why did ms buy minecraft but then start shutting down game studios? Do they want to exit gaming?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

jony neuemonic posted:

I don't really consider MySQL a dbms but good point

max4me posted:

PostgreSQL

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

max4me posted:

Oracle, duh

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
postgres is best but if you want to spend money then get mssql

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

http://bad.solutions

Apr 7, 2003

Guy says oracle is bad and recommends ms sql. lmao

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Citizen Tayne posted:

Guy says oracle is bad and recommends ms sql. lmao

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

mssql is better than oracle in many cases yes

Apr 7, 2003

uncurable mlady posted:

mssql is better than oracle in many cases yes

Such as?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

BI? if you're already in the ms ecosystem at least. i guess it's sort of a drown or burn scenario

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

although isn't all of the MS BI stuff actually sybase or some other company that didn't suck

Apr 7, 2003

uncurable mlady posted:

BI? if you're already in the ms ecosystem at least. i guess it's sort of a drown or burn scenario

That's not a real reason. I thought you knew of some technical reasons why MSSQL is better than Oracle, not "a dur dur ecosystem" stuff.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
that guy is a non technical woman or child

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

uncurable mlady posted:

although isn't all of the MS BI stuff actually sybase or some other company that didn't suck

ms sql itself is sybase

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

realization that nobody wants to pay for both an OS and a database, but maybe they want to pay for just a database

Well I mean, its less wrong at least.

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

uncurable mlady posted:

if you want a bi buy Microstrategy and then run it against a real database, Oracle. saying Microsoft has bi is like saying access is a database. it's only fishmech true

Apr 7, 2003

pram posted:

that guy is a non technical woman or child

He's bad!

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

max4me posted:

Also why did ms buy minecraft but then start shutting down game studios? Do they want to exit gaming?
they bought minecraft to eventually deliver it the fate it deserves

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

what are the chances of the mssql port being even vaguely on par in performance and features to the Windows version in even the next 10 years? I presume all the clr stuff will be backed by mono and I confess my only two points of contact with that where dismissing it 10 years or so ago on the desktop because win forms was completely unimplemented at the time and the last 6 months on mobile because we bought a thing and are clearly technologically superior on the big three (lol lets be honest, two) there

e: we're =/= where

shitface fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Low.

Linux is missing basic features like async io or user-mode thread scheduling

• Locked thread