Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Do you guys wear gloves when shooting in the winter? Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
I've got a pair of these http://www.oakley.com/en/mens/bags-accessories/gloves/polartec-midweight-gloves/product/94190A/?skuCode=94190A-001&categoryCode=m0503 they're really grippy and decently warm down to -15C

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
[quote="InternetJunky" post="456382049"
Pretty awesome find! I wish I could find one during the day. People always tell me to listen for chickadees mobbing something, but all that has lead me to is more chickadees so far.
[/quote]

These ones are in a state park almost every year and are fairly staked out. We had five in a couple of acres, as well as a pair of Great Horned Owls. I'd look for poop under thick fir trees as the best trick to find them. Impossible in a heavily wooded area, but in more open areas with few trees it's not too difficult.

InternetJunky posted:

I've had very little chance to get out and shoot this winter, and when I was able to the weather was much too warm to find Great Greys. I'm reduced to going through old shots to see what I missed.

These couple I might have posted before when I originally took them but I've reprocessed them and am much happier with the final results now.

I've missed Great Gray so many times now. Tried three different places in the last week. There's a bit of a irruption in the northwest this year, but no luck for me.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 18, 2016

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Got to see this fella with my dad today.

Bald Eagle by Shrieking Muppet, on Flickr

Bald Eagle by Shrieking Muppet, on Flickr

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Got to see this fella with my dad today.

Nice eagle! I like the feathers in the second shot. Do you have access to lightroom or photoshop? Bringing up some of the exposure would make a big difference for both photos and is pretty easy to do.

Went out for the first time with the Tamron 150-600 and new d750. Super happy with the package although feeling a little bit of the loss of range going to full frame from my d7k.

Juvenile Bald Eagle by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Harrier by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Short Eared Owl by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

SEO3 by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

SEO2 by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Also trying out the D750's video stuff (I'm totally new to video, sorry). Here's that short eared owl getting harassed a bit.

http://i.imgur.com/LOhzg9c.gifv

And a first for me - I'm finally able to contribute to this thread's actual intention!

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 24, 2016

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Nice eagle! I like the feathers in the second shot. Do you have access to lightroom or photoshop? Bringing up some of the exposure would make a big difference for both photos and is pretty easy to do.

Thanks, I do indeed have light room and went ahead and did a quick try at kicking up the exposure, I think i might have overdone it but I'm slightly dopey from and evening of writing jobs apps.

Bald Eagle - Adjusted by Shrieking Muppet, on Flickr

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Really nice. How's the AF performance compared to the D7000?

I checked a few Burrowing Owl hotspots while traveling through the Bay Area, but didn't see any. There were plenty of other birds around, though.

avocet-probing by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

oystercatcher-mussel by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

cinnamon-teal-swimming by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

snowy-strike3 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

swallow-scuffle by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

And a Short-eared Owl from my last trip to the Mad River Slough Wildlife Area until it reopens on April 1:

seo-over-grass by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Moon Potato posted:

Really nice. How's the AF performance compared to the D7000?

It's way better. I'm still trying different autofocus modes, I tend to stick to the center point but I'm missing focus on moving birds frequently. Going to try the single point with some 9/21/51 dynamic autofocus around it I guess. Going out again right now to another park.

e: birdes

Birde3 by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Birde2 by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Birde1 by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 25, 2016

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Been hitting the wetlands, looking for those songbirds. Still no male Yellow-rumped warblers, although (between the 15-16 and the 14-15 winters) I think I've got a shot all the other most common seasonal migrant songbirds that frequent this park:

Song sparrow?

(I remember saying something in this thread about how I had to use manual focus on a mirrorless camera (as opposed to a 5DII) to get shots of birds in the brush like this... that was before the 7D. This thing can really pick out subjects amazingly well. If only the noise wasn't so bad.)

Another Orange-crowned warbler?

Northern flicker

Ruby-crowned kinglet. (Still don't have a good shot of the crown)

House finch (non-migratory)

Downy woodpecker (also a year-round resident)

Neotropic cormorant (resident, not a songbird)

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Australasian pipit.

Australasian pipit, cleaning.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
So I'm saving my pennies to get my self a better lens for birds. I have a Nikon D7000 so for glass it looks like my options around the price range I'm thinking are the new Nikon 200-500, the tamron 150-600 and the sigma 150-600 c. The Nikon from reviews seems to be sharper and has the fixed aperture but is more and only available new. The sigma and tamron seem more or less identical in most reviews and are about the same price although some of the features are different. Can you goons suggest which two of these would be worth a rental for a long weekend to see how they do.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ezekiel_980 posted:

So I'm saving my pennies to get my self a better lens for birds. I have a Nikon D7000 so for glass it looks like my options around the price range I'm thinking are the new Nikon 200-500, the tamron 150-600 and the sigma 150-600 c. The Nikon from reviews seems to be sharper and has the fixed aperture but is more and only available new. The sigma and tamron seem more or less identical in most reviews and are about the same price although some of the features are different. Can you goons suggest which two of these would be worth a rental for a long weekend to see how they do.

I love my Tamron 150-600 but if you're staying on a crop sensor the Nikon 200-500 is going to be better if you can afford it. I posted right above your post, if you click onto my flickr you'll see a lot of shots taken with d7k and Tamron 150-600 before I upgraded my body.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I like my Tamron 150-600 but don't love it. I should sell my old birding setup and buy the Nikon 200-500. Hell, maybe I should just sell the Tamron while I'm at it.

Really the only thing it has going for it above the Nikon is that the Tamron is weather-sealed.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Kenshin posted:

I like my Tamron 150-600 but don't love it. I should sell my old birding setup and buy the Nikon 200-500. Hell, maybe I should just sell the Tamron while I'm at it.

Really the only thing it has going for it above the Nikon is that the Tamron is weather-sealed.

The VC is quite a bit better also I believe.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I've seen the Tamron going for under $700 recently after rebates. It's a loving steal at that price.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Kenshin posted:

I like my Tamron 150-600 but don't love it.

I started off that way, but the more I used it the more I got the hang of it. It's not as sharp at 600 though, which is my only complaint.

And I also need to get rid of my D600 and grab a D750. Those last 2 shots I posted were taken on a D750 with the 150-600, and the sharpness and blacks completely trump my D600. But, :homebrew:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

toggle posted:

I started off that way, but the more I used it the more I got the hang of it. It's not as sharp at 600 though, which is my only complaint.

And I also need to get rid of my D600 and grab a D750. Those last 2 shots I posted were taken on a D750 with the 150-600, and the sharpness and blacks completely trump my D600. But, :homebrew:
Well, I started out loving it, but the more used to it I get the more issues I find I have with it, and all the complaints I have are (from reviews) not present in the Nikon 200-500.

It's not very fast to focus, I've already had to send it in to get fixed by Tamron once (the focusing motor stopped working consistently) and even after the fix it occasionally still makes funny noises while focusing. I also just don't find it to be all that sharp below f/8 in most cases unless I'm at less than 500mm.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Kenshin posted:

Well, I started out loving it, but the more used to it I get the more issues I find I have with it, and all the complaints I have are (from reviews) not present in the Nikon 200-500.

It's not very fast to focus, I've already had to send it in to get fixed by Tamron once (the focusing motor stopped working consistently) and even after the fix it occasionally still makes funny noises while focusing. I also just don't find it to be all that sharp below f/8 in most cases unless I'm at less than 500mm.

Ah I see, yeah I haven't had any focus issues or anything like that. But you're right it does look like rear end over 500 and 600 with anything over 12 feet away. But from 150-450 its fantastic.

It is still a great lens for the price though.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

toggle posted:

Ah I see, yeah I haven't had any focus issues or anything like that. But you're right it does look like rear end over 500 and 600 with anything over 12 feet away. But from 150-450 its fantastic.

It is still a great lens for the price though.

Yeah, for the price you're going to have a hard time doing better, and I have gotten enough good shots at 600mm with f/8 that I don't hate it. But it just seems like with the way I either already or would like to do my shooting, I will be better off with the NIKKOR.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

I love my Tamron 150-600 but if you're staying on a crop sensor the Nikon 200-500 is going to be better if you can afford it. I posted right above your post, if you click onto my flickr you'll see a lot of shots taken with d7k and Tamron 150-600 before I upgraded my body.

Eventually when my d7000 dies i would like to jump to full frame but that would be years from now so getting the 200-500 might be worth waiting longer to save for it. also why would you recommend the Nikon if i'm staying crop sensor?

Also has anyone here even tired the sigma or is there some gypsy curse on them?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Eventually when my d7000 dies i would like to jump to full frame but that would be years from now so getting the 200-500 might be worth waiting longer to save for it. also why would you recommend the Nikon if i'm staying crop sensor?

Also has anyone here even tired the sigma or is there some gypsy curse on them?

I recommended the Nikon for crop because it brings a lot of subjects close enough that you might not need the extra 100mm and can have better IQ.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

A few shots from my recent trip to southern Oregon:

snow-geese by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

eagle-chase by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

killdeer by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

merganser-takeoff by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

And a couple from Arcata Marsh:

annas-feeding by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

kinglet by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Arrest that ass!
Sep 1, 2006

my deadlift personal record

Female House Sparrow by Peter Cartwright, on Flickr

First bird shot I've ever taken. Pretty pleased with how it turned out, especially considering I was leaning out of a small upwards opening window while balancing on the back of a sofa.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Arrest that rear end! posted:

Female House Sparrow by Peter Cartwright, on Flickr

First bird shot I've ever taken. Pretty pleased with how it turned out, especially considering I was leaning out of a small upwards opening window while balancing on the back of a sofa.

Nice shot, although I'm not sure that's a House Sparrow. Bill is much longer and thinner than a House Sparrow. Not actually sure what it is. Where'd you take the photo?

edit: Nevermind. I see it in "Birds of Britain" Flickr group.

edit 2: Maybe a Dunnock?

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 6, 2016

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I will say it's nice having the weather sealing on the Tamron. And the VC is pretty impressive. So I don't hate it!

Walking around at the Ballard Locks this morning.

buffleheads in the rain

young cormorant coming into its adult plumage (double-crested cormorant)

Arrest that ass!
Sep 1, 2006

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Nice shot, although I'm not sure that's a House Sparrow. Bill is much longer and thinner than a House Sparrow. Not actually sure what it is. Where'd you take the photo?

edit: Nevermind. I see it in "Birds of Britain" Flickr group.

edit 2: Maybe a Dunnock?

On closer inspection you're absolutely right, it's a Dunnock.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Possibly our least interesting bird, although they apparently have quite the scandalous sex life.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I made the 2.5 hour drive to the Gulf Coast for some fishing and birding and was moderately successful at both! This was my fist time taking a decent telephoto rig to an estuarine wetland and I have to say it's like shooting fish in a barrel compared to the highland lakes I'm used to. So many birds!

Coots and Gallinules in abundance.
Common gallinule by S M, on Flickr

American coot eating root by S M, on Flickr

Tons of ducks.
Green-winged teals by S M, on Flickr

And a Northern harrier that would swoop in at opportune times, scattering the flocks of waterfowl.
Harrier swoop by S M, on Flickr

I think these are Long-billed dowitchers:
Long-billed dowitchers by S M, on Flickr

Waterfowl in flight by S M, on Flickr

There were even some Roseate spoonbills. Wouldn't have seen them if the harrier hadn't spooked them out.
Roseate spoonbill by S M, on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Finally got a couple of decent shots of the male superb fairy wren that lives in my garden/street.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

I love this one. Well done.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Looks like southern Texas is another place I need to add to my long bucket list
http://blog.marksissonphoto.co.uk/2016/03/10/theres-more-than-one-star-in-texas/

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Pablo Bluth posted:

Looks like southern Texas is another place I need to add to my long bucket list
http://blog.marksissonphoto.co.uk/2016/03/10/theres-more-than-one-star-in-texas/

Absolutely- Gulf coast and Lower Rio Grande Valley are fantastic for birding and bird photography. Definitely worth a trip. Last time I went was about 8 years ago, before I had a DSLR.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

I'm finally going through a big portion of my photos from Ghana, where everybody dresses very well. Even the crows don a formal vest. :tipshat:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Last summer we stopped for ice cream in a small town on the highway between Regina and Saskatoon, and watched a pair of Western Kingbirds stuff insects down the bottomless throats of their offspring.
Hungry Western Kingbird Chicks 1 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Hungry Western Kingbird Chicks 6 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Watching the parent trying to stuff a large dragonfly into the gaping mouth of a nearly-full-grown chick was pretty entertaining.
"Here! EAT THIS!" *shove*

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

I really like this one, Corvids are great subjects!

Came across this bird just chilling at the bottom of some bushes, thought it looked a little odd so I took a quick photo and immediately noticed why. Ughhh.

Didn't seem to slow the bird down at all, at least. Surely that fat tick is ready to fall off soon.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

My big lens had to go in for servicing, so I'm back to using the Sigma 120-300mm with 2X TC again. Aside from the reach, I immediately noticed a huge difference in autofocus speed and accuracy (at least with the teleconverter on). While waiting for the 300-800mm to come back, I've been working on my field technique. To get the same kinds of closeups I'm used to, I have to do a lot more waiting around shy birds.

Cinnamon Teal:

cinnamon-sunset by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Snowy Egret:

se-snap by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

American Bittern:

bittern-grass by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Western Grebe:

wg-closeup by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

An American Kestrel has started hunting in my neighborhood, but I've had bad luck with cloud cover when I've gone out to watch it hunt.

kestrel-cricket by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Came across this bird just chilling at the bottom of some bushes, thought it looked a little odd so I took a quick photo and immediately noticed why. Ughhh.

Poor bird. (That's super gross.)

Moon Potato posted:

American Bittern:

bittern-grass by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Nice!

A hummingbird flew by while I was waiting in line for the ship to Alcatraz.

Arrest that ass!
Sep 1, 2006

Few from today using the Nikkor 300mm f/4 PF ED and Nikkon TC-14E III 1.4x teleconverter for the first time; holy poo poo this combo rocks so hard! 450mm f/4 on the D7200 without the tc or 630mm f/5.6 in a 755g / 148mm lens!

Mandarin Duck Male & Female by Peter Cartwright, on Flickr

Chiloe Wigeon Duck by Peter Cartwright, on Flickr

Tufted Duck by Peter Cartwright, on Flickr

wood duck by Peter Cartwright, on Flickr

Caribbean Flamingo by Peter Cartwright, on Flickr

Blue Tit by Peter Cartwright, on Flickr

Arrest that ass! fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 25, 2016

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

I love the Mandarin Ducks. Well done.

My Sigma 300-800mm is back from the service center. It's been too windy out to get a lot of wildlife activity in general, but I still managed to find some very cooperative egrets and grebes in some sheltered areas.

grebe-smelt2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

bathing-grebe by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

egret-missed by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

ge-toss by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

What are you doing, egret?

egret-neck by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Well here's something a bit different than what I usually post in this thread:

New Zealand Fantail by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Variable Oystercatchers by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Silver Gull by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

South Island Robin by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Silvereye by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Tomtit by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Didn't have the Tamzooka with me, but wish I would've had something a bit sharper than the Nikon 70-300. The last 3 were in a rainforest, was at ISO 3200 and still couldn't get a fast enough shutter speed.

I was really hoping to see a kiwi, but when I was in the area where they're common it was pouring rain (area flooded within a week later - http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11610799) and they're nocturnal. I was staying in Okarito where there's a subspecies with only ~400 birds. I did spot a Kea, but trying to photograph a green bird in a tree with green leaves sucks.