Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Volkerball posted:

aaron hall is bad and i hate his face.

Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

he was poo poo 2 years ago all year long. i thought he was the worst player on the team that was getting substantial time except for maybe matt shaw. i'm told he played well last year when i didn't pay much attention since the suns were getting annihilated every week, but the first thing i see of him watching nab games is him walking around the field like he's lost during a play on when he was the only handball option. he had his back to the play, so it ended up being a turnover. same type of boneheaded stuff he was doing 2 years ago.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 7, 2016

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Volkerball posted:

he was poo poo 2 years ago all year long. i thought he was the worst player on the team that was getting substantial time except for maybe matt shaw. i'm told he played well last year when i didn't pay much attention since the suns were getting annihilated every week, but the first thing i see of him watching nab games is him walking around the field like he's lost during a play on when he was the only handball option. he had his back to the play, so it ended up being a turnover. same type of boneheaded stuff he was doing 2 years ago.

Ahh, fair enough. Yeah, he started last year in the same form that he'd shown the rest of his career then exploded in the last 7 games of the year. I think it might have coincided with him moving into the middle full time due to injuries but he was pretty drat amazing and almost instantly became one of the best mids in the comp. If GC don't keep him there basically full time this year they are stupid.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
it'll be interesting to see. i was planning on watching a few of the late season games when the suns were playing decent before my afltv subscription expires, so i'll keep an eye out for him.

Christo3
May 1, 2013

Players are having season ending injuries before the season proper starts. What's the issue here, is the game getting too big for players? Do the teams start off too early? Or is it just some bad luck for players getting hurt so early?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
The issue is AFL is hard. It happens every year.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Christo3 posted:

Players are having season ending injuries before the season proper starts. What's the issue here, is the game getting too big for players? Do the teams start off too early? Or is it just some bad luck for players getting hurt so early?

Happens every year, there is always a spate of ACL injuries during the preseason, teams just pretty much brace for it.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Its not the NAB cup either. If you are twisting and turning and sprinting like that when you arent ready for it, you're going to snap a few ligaments. It happens even at amateur clubs during pre season.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
I recall Aaron Hall kicking 5-6 goals against us in some match and looking poo poo hot.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I don't even know what I'm doing with this stuff any more.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

The Deadly Hume posted:

I think you are trying to tell us that on current polling there will be a 46 seat swing to Richmond, giving them a commanding majority in the House of Reps and easily throwing out the current Kernahan Government

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

hiddenmovement posted:

I think you are trying to tell us that on current polling there will be a 46 seat swing to Richmond, giving them a commanding majority in the House of Reps and easily throwing out the current Kernahan Government

thank gently caress, the welfare state is saved

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

From the office of the Honourable Dustin Martin, Minister for Women

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Solemn Sloth posted:

thank gently caress, the welfare state is saved

Get hosed, the Tigers are economic vandals.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

The Deadly Hume posted:

Richmond are further down the u-bend than carlton?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Christo3 posted:

Training fitness and match fitness are two quite different things. You just dont have the same "toughness" in your body coming into the season as you do after 6 weeks in so injuries are much more common. Its no coincidence that serious injuries tend to drop off towards the middle and latter half of the season.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

hiddenmovement posted:

Get hosed, the Tigers are economic vandals.
They're all still better than the John Elliott administration

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

That's just where Richmond are sitting now, after I work out the "swing" (which is the term I've come to use and kind of got me thinking about electoral-style pendulums). But it's going to take a bit of nutting out how to represent the post-match. Maybe it's just too weird.

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.

Nutsngum posted:

Its no coincidence that serious injuries tend to drop off towards the middle and latter half of the season.

Isn't that also because the grounds are softer?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The Deadly Hume posted:

That's just where Richmond are sitting now, after I work out the "swing" (which is the term I've come to use and kind of got me thinking about electoral-style pendulums). But it's going to take a bit of nutting out how to represent the post-match. Maybe it's just too weird.

I'm just waiting for Richmond to make the top 4 and then we can get a double dissolution.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

DAAS Kapitalist posted:

Isn't that also because the grounds are softer?

I dunno, perhaps?

Match fitness is definitely a factor though.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Richmond are further down the u-bend than carlton?

Carlton could be the turd blocking the u-bend.

:siren::siren::flag::flag: ULTIMATE FOOTY NEWS :flag::flag::siren::siren:

Last call for any sign ups to the league - http://ultimate-footy.theage.com.au/214153/

You'll need to PM me your email or put it in this document for me to send you an invite as the league can't be passworded for some dumb reason: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cdh1JyuNHc6F3Hu_bqw7Kkn4DtjWXNOqULfYip_8bPI/edit?usp=sharing
Draft is locked in for Sunday, 20th of March @ 7:30pm AEDT

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 7, 2016

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
I really wish i could get into fantasy sport so i could trash talk my friends and some people i dont know on the internet but I'm just way too lazy

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Diet Crack posted:

Carlton could be the turd blocking the u-bend.

:siren::siren::flag::flag: ULTIMATE FOOTY NEWS :flag::flag::siren::siren:

Last call for any sign ups to the league - http://ultimate-footy.theage.com.au/214153/

You'll need to PM me your email or put it in this document for me to send you an invite as the league can't be passworded for some dumb reason: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cdh1JyuNHc6F3Hu_bqw7Kkn4DtjWXNOqULfYip_8bPI/edit?usp=sharing
Draft is locked in for Sunday, 20th of March @ 7:30pm AEDT

I miss the draft every single year because I just forget about it and so my team is always just auto-picked and I sort of find it becomes hard to be invested in your team when you don't feel like it was 'yours' to begin with. So, I'm going to :toxx: for this draft and say that if I miss it just through forgetting (giving myself a loop hole here if I say I somehow can't make it beforehand) someone could design some kind of Herr Hodge avatar for me and I'll change it to my avatar until the 2016 Grand Final is done.

Also on the same fantasy footy note, the SuperCoach league looks like it's still missing a few regulars so join code is 909139

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
https://twitter.com/TitusOReily/status/706943284644421632

:drat:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

She certainly accepted the finding with far more grace.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

http://iframe.dacast.com/b/5512/f/280769

the Womens match for those that missed it, you can't skip about which is a bit of a pain in the arse.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Sure is a different level of operation for all involved including WADA when it's only one individual involved rather than a whole team,, coaching staff and sport scientist. That being said, Essendon should get a women's team for sure now and sign Sharapova in the Folau role

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The AFL is adopting the 10 metre protected zone for marks in the regular season this year.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Solemn Sloth posted:

The AFL is adopting the 10 metre protected zone for marks in the regular season this year.

Good god, I really hope they police it with some brains or it's going to be loving awful

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Spedman posted:

Good god, I really hope they police it with some brains or it's going to be loving awful

lol as if it's not going to be a giant disaster.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
It will be a total disaster and they will repeal it half way through the year after coaches and media lambast them for bringing in another idiotic rule without properly considering it.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

realbez posted:

It will be a total disaster and they will repeal it half way through the year after coaches and media lambast them for bringing in another idiotic rule without properly considering it.

It's going to make the tactic of another player coming and shepherding the man on the mark even more ridiculous.

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS
gently caress that's such a poo poo call, great job AFL, living up to expectations

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Wouldn't be the AFL without changing the rules less than a month before the season

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Someone asked on the Titus O'Reilly podcast what small rule change would gently caress up footy the best. One suggestion was handball receives becoming a mark. I was thinking you can only take possession if part of your body is grounded.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Spedman posted:

Someone asked on the Titus O'Reilly podcast what small rule change would gently caress up footy the best. One suggestion was handball receives becoming a mark. I was thinking you can only take possession if part of your body is grounded.

I liked the suggestion of making the goal into a soccer net, imagine Lyon Ball when the defenders can cover the whole goal

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
change the rules of a mark to nfl receiver rules

quote:

To gain possession of a loose ball that has been caught, intercepted, or recovered, a player must have complete control of the ball and have both feet or any other part of his body, other than his hands, completely on the ground inbounds, and then maintain control of the ball until he has clearly become a runner. A player becomes a runner when he is capable of avoiding or warding off impending contact of an opponent. If the player loses the ball while simultaneously touching both feet or any other part of his body to the ground, there is no possession. This rule applies in the field of play and in the end zone.

Note 1: It is a catch if, in the process of attempting to catch the ball, a player secures control of the ball prior to it touching the ground, and that control is maintained during and after the ball has touched the ground.

Note 2: In the field of play, if a catch has been completed, and there is contact by a defender causing the ball to come loose before the player who caught the loose ball is down by contact, it is a fumble, and the ball remains alive

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Luke Goetz is a loving idiot.

Gets off with a $1000 fine for shoving Garland over the fence, then decides that he's hard done by and fights it at the tribunal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Handballs can only travel backwards

• Locked thread