Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"Where are my NATO symbols for all these units?"

"What do you MEAN I can't customise the load out for all my armies, they're not using the right kind of sword for this mission!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

dublish posted:

I get not having fun with grog games, but if you're not having fun with Paradox games I feel bad for you.

Almost all of my enjoyment from Paradox games comes from cheating the hell out of them and painting the map my color. Immortal king with 100 in all stats? Yes please.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Hearts of iron is bad and 4 looks terrible but for me I always got had the most fun from the ck series when I get a crazed pedophile on the throne or some other genetic freak (guess I shouldn't have done all that incest in previous generations, who knew?) and that one baron who has always been a thorn in my side revolts and I have the satisfaction of throwing him in the oblette, seizing this land and titles from his heir, and re appropriating them to the useless hangers on I invited to court.

EU 3 was a lot of fun but until they started reworking combat 4 was just too soulless. I can only paint the new world in my colors so many times and the depiction of native americans is still pretty poor and the slave trade vastly simplified.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

True, I do want a historically-accurate slave trade simulator.

:ughh:

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
I find having something where there are only profits in slave trading and really none of negatives for africa or the colonies to be much more offensive.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

dtkozl posted:

Hearts of iron is bad and 4 looks terrible

I see a lot of hate for HoI on here but it's provided me with my most in-depth co-op grog experience yet. Myself and a friend have been playing as Italy and Germany for almost 10 real months (once or twice a week usually) in our coop HoI 3 game using the BlackIce mod (add's a stupid amount of poo poo.)

We've gone from '36-'44 so far and Sea Lion was a success somehow! The new English capital is Calcutta and there are victorious Japanese armies sweeping down on them as we speak!

With the English mainland in German hands there can be no question of staging a naval invasion to the degree of Normandy. America finds itself very much alone in a war on the other side of the planet, they do the only sensible thing and focus on the closer threat of a vastly powerful Japan that has tamed China.

There is discussion in the highest echelons of Axis leadership of an invasion of South America and then onwards to glory!

*Edit-

Playing tutorials and the first thing I see is this!

Look how god drat clever that is, never seen open tank hatches used as armour for the commander/spotter before. (Maybe I have and I'm just not very observant haha)

Abongination fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Mar 8, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
A lot of people hated 3 because it was buggy as gently caress on release and the ai can be rock stupid with some things. Hearts of Iron 2 is praised because uhh... the scenarios are cool, I guess. And its pretty unique in terms of genre and setting, and ties everything together. The ui is poo poo these days and combat is crap compared to 3, but to each their own, right?

Not sure whats so bad about IV though, the dev diaries look neat and Paradox has come a long way in the last 7+ years. :shrug:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Not sure whats so bad about IV though, the dev diaries look neat and Paradox has come a long way in the last 7+ years. :shrug:

It's probably because they've radically changed how some things work (production, air/naval combat, etc.) and are generally taking a lot of crunch away from people who like to push counters around. It feels like HOI4 is much less about waging the war yourself, and instead taking on the role of Churchill or Roosevelt and steering the ship of state in more high-level terms.

I'm optimistic about it, since Paradox now is much different to the Paradox that released HOI3 (which, with all expansions and patches, turned out to be An Alright Game I Guess).

A few months ago I "came back" to HOI3 TFH after having given up on the game shortly after the core game launched. Had a pretty good amount of fun with an Italy game, but I'm not really sure if that's because I'm actually playing the game correctly or if I've had fun just by virtue of the fact of it being a Paradox game. I will freely admit to being an unabashed Paradox fanboy though, so I guess that counts too

Also a grognard goon is on the dev team for HOI4 so that gets it a few points as well.

Drone fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Mar 8, 2016

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Did you mean me? I have been off HoI since December. Ck2 currently!

Abongination posted:

Look how god drat clever that is, never seen open tank hatches used as armour for the commander/spotter before. (Maybe I have and I'm just not very observant haha)

I'm not sure it's the best idea, it also signals your hatch is open so snipers can watch for you popping up.

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.
Also, you can imagine how that giant one-piece hatch would severely limit forward visibility; not that the Soviets encouraged tank commanders to go into combat "unbuttoned." It was supposedly also very heavy, and dangerous if you dropped it before it was latched.

It would eventually be replaced with a two piece hatch the would open to both the forward and the rear. Crew could then poke their heads just out of the hatch, like prairie dogs.

After finishing my last play though of DC:B, which I loved, I had to pick up WitE in the last Steam sale. I was a bit intimidated by the enormous manual, but it's really not so hard once you dive in headlong. Started with the Road to Minsk and Road to Moscow scenarios; am working my way up to the big campaign. I don't completely get how the FBD's work. Do I have to manually order them to repair each track segment, or will the continue automatically once they start in a line? The rail buttons seem to change to "Return to HQ" on subsequent turns. But I can't tell when they move by themselves, if they are in fact doing so.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

There are two fbd types. The small ones are automatic and the big ones are totally manual but you only have 3-4 of them tops.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Please shut up about games that are not out, buy Graviteam Tactics: Mius Front, tell me about it.

Thanks in advance.

(You can talk about games that are not out after you play Graviteam Tactics: Mius Front and tell me about it.)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I still giggle at one goon's review of Graviteam Tactics: "I bought it for a dollar and felt ripped off"

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I for one am greatly enjoying Mius Front. It's very pretty to watch and the dynamic battle system seems fairly robust. The UI is terrible, it's like they saw the Windows 8 Start Screen and decided to model their menu system from it. It's fairly easy to figure out the basics and start playing, the tutorials aren't terrible. Still lots to figure out which will take some reading.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

I'm optimistic about it, since Paradox now is much different to the Paradox that released HOI3 (which, with all expansions and patches, turned out to be An Alright Game I Guess).

They're going public, probably presaged by buying the world of darkness stuff from CCP. Gonna be interesting to see how Fred Wester handles that.

Re: Space games.

Keep your eye on Stellaris by Paradox. They've obviously found a gap in their offerings since Kerberos disappeared up it's own anus.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
yo dog I heard you like tankers

more features for the next patch Command 1.11

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Tetraptous posted:

Also, you can imagine how that giant one-piece hatch would severely limit forward visibility; not that the Soviets encouraged tank commanders to go into combat "unbuttoned." It was supposedly also very heavy, and dangerous if you dropped it before it was latched.

It would eventually be replaced with a two piece hatch the would open to both the forward and the rear. Crew could then poke their heads just out of the hatch, like prairie dogs.

After finishing my last play though of DC:B, which I loved, I had to pick up WitE in the last Steam sale. I was a bit intimidated by the enormous manual, but it's really not so hard once you dive in headlong. Started with the Road to Minsk and Road to Moscow scenarios; am working my way up to the big campaign. I don't completely get how the FBD's work. Do I have to manually order them to repair each track segment, or will the continue automatically once they start in a line? The rail buttons seem to change to "Return to HQ" on subsequent turns. But I can't tell when they move by themselves, if they are in fact doing so.

I don't like the feel of WitE against the AI. Oh, I hit Minsk and Riga first turn and completed the Lvov pocket? Fun. It gets better, though.

Barbarossa makes you work for that poo poo. Then the midgame hits and, at least in PBEM, holy gently caress.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I spent about an hour dicking around with Mius Front and will repeat what everyone else has said.

Its a pretty game.

Trenches being deformed is an amazing thing.

The AI does some cool things automatically (my example being the leader of squads running ahead to put down smoke screens for infantry advances when ordered to attack a position)

Buuuuut the UI is average at best and I felt like I had less direct control of my men in comparison to combat mission.

General opinion seems to be spend the $30 to watch pretty fights. There's a whole campaign aspect that I've yet to touch.

Took some screenies, will post em when I'm home

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I got Vietnam '65 thanks to this thread and the other night I finally played a Medal of Honor game (where you have to allow the score to drop below 40 and then get a decisive victory.) So take note, this is what a successful counter-insurgency looks like.

Trailheads:

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Mar 9, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Abongination posted:

I spent about an hour dicking around with Mius Front and will repeat what everyone else has said.

Its a pretty game.

Trenches being deformed is an amazing thing.

The AI does some cool things automatically (my example being the leader of squads running ahead to put down smoke screens for infantry advances when ordered to attack a position)

Buuuuut the UI is average at best and I felt like I had less direct control of my men in comparison to combat mission.

General opinion seems to be spend the $30 to watch pretty fights. There's a whole campaign aspect that I've yet to touch.

Took some screenies, will post em when I'm home

Less direct control is on purpose

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Drone posted:

True, I do want a historically-accurate slave trade simulator.

:ughh:

"Slavery? What slavery?"

- Sid Meier's Colonization

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nenonen posted:

"Slavery? What slavery?"

Einsatzkommando? What einsatzkommando?

- Gary Grigsby's War in the East

I kid, I kid. Although there was that one WITE map mod that marked off which hexes in Poland and Germany had concentration camps.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Einsatzkommando? What einsatzkommando?

- Gary Grigsby's War in the East

I kid, I kid. Although there was that one WITE map mod that marked off which hexes in Poland and Germany had concentration camps.

Was there any word on why the creator made that? Because I would interpret it as a pretty clever way of showing what exactly you are actually doing when you are playing as the Germans.

But then again, Grogs...

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Nenonen posted:

"Slavery? What slavery?"

Indentured Servants includes slaves.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Alchenar posted:

Indentured Servants includes slaves.

They come from Europe and can be trained by Indians to become free citizens and there's no risk of them taking over one of your colonies and declaring independence...

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

For anyone still on the fence about Mius Front, take a peek at these screenshots I took at the end of my last battle (between my capturing software crashing and me accidentally quitting the game anyway). Also: every battle looks like this because this game looks incredible.

http://imgur.com/a/s4QEn

Some choice shots:

And this flaming wreck, which set on fire close to where those other tanks blew up, rolled alllllllllllll the way down the hill into one of my trenches, then cooked off killing about 5 of my men :golfclap:.

I'm actually really starting to like this game, especially seeing as this ridiculous and enormous battle occured on the first turn (of 18) of the main campaign :D

INinja132 fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 10, 2016

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Yep, every battle has a handful of "holy poo poo" moments. A rogue T-34 rolling into my trenches and crushing some men. My assault gun getting hit in the side and the crew bailing out as flames start to shoot out the hole and black smoke engulfs the soon to explode tank. Or the first time a swarm of Stukas arrive and save your rear end, swooping in and bombing tanks well the tail gunner sprays fire on infantry. At the end of the battle there are grass fires slowly engulfing an open field, trenches completely unearthed and billowing smoke plumes from dozens of destroyed tanks.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've noticed the AI in Mius likes to set up right on the edge of their territory. If you do the same, then when you press start an entire army materialises right in front of you.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Nenonen posted:

"Slavery? What slavery?"

Civilization has ruined a generation of people by teaching that technological progress is linear and that nothing bad happenshape in history, and that a civilization is only as good as its technological level.

Paradox is the true payh

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of Hearts of Iron, the Matrix thread about it is pretty great

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Pretty surprising that so many people are telling the OP that he is an idiot (which he is).

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

That's some Greatest Hits poo poo there.

"My uncle who works for Nintendo Paradox says they cancelled EvW so they could sell it as HoI4 DLC instead!"

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I wish there were more cold war wargames

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I sortied Force Z against half of the Kido Butai at full speed. The results were not good let's say.

At least PoW and the Repulse are OK! As long as the half KB heads east I'll be fine I think.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Baloogan posted:

I want a cold war wagame based off the cold war movie wargames

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Baloogan posted:

Rule The Waves except with Cold War tech, and instead of European superpowers you play as post-colonial nations.

Including those hilarious "After dining with a Lokheed exec, the president demands you buy F104s for your ground attack squadrons instead of the A4s originally planned" events.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Xenolalia posted:

I want a cold war wagame based off the cold war movie wargames

You need to go play DEFCON right now... Its exactly what you have always dreamed of.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Saros posted:

My friend.... have you played Defcon. Its exactly what you have always dreamed of.

Maybe it's not Grognardy (is that even a word) enough for him.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

What more could you want?

There are even mods where you get to nuke Mars/The Moon.

Saros fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Anyone tried the new battle pack for Combat Mission: Normandy yet? I'm annoyed that it requires their vehicle pack, which is $20. Which means I have to pay $30 total in order to play that battle pack. Maybe that's not worth it.