Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

all these pokéfeels got me to dig out my old cartridges. I had just made it to victory road when I put white away and it looks like I sent all my good pokemon to X so now I got some grinding to do

my soul silver team is also a good twenty levels short of being able to beat red

this sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

In Training posted:

I just throw 2 rocks and then a ball and most times if I can attempt to throw that ball I catch em

you have a near 0% chance of a Tauros or Scyther not running away after you throw a rock at them.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mabels big day posted:

you have a near 0% chance of a Tauros or Scyther not running away after you throw a rock at them.

Awesome

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

At 50 caught now. I could get the XP Share now but it's really bad in gen 1.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

If you want some help with the safari zone pokes you can surf on the missingno part of Cinnibar after having been there and it'll have the same encounters as the safari zone, but you can use normal balls and battling and they can't run I believe.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Reading about the Long Range Trainer trick and realizing it might be possible to catch every pokemon on one file...amazing

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

it's so harsh that you can't unlearn HM moves. I probably will have to teach Fly to a good bird Poke when I get it and Cut to one of the regular dudes I use... maybe the starter. Once I get Slowpoke he can slave away, but maybe it's just better to pick a team and spread out the HM moves instead of having one occupy a space. That's what I did first time around but I was dumb as a brick then

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

oh god is there no move deleter in gen 1

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

good thing i haven't made it past vermillion city, lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

GameCube posted:

oh god is there no move deleter in gen 1

Yeah lol it's crazy. I used farfetchd and a rhino for most of the crappy HMs. I usually have surf/fly on mainstays because they're pretty powerful moves

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I hope they put GSC on the VC so I can trade over Pokemon in Red like my Alakazam and teach it Fire Punch, and then bring it back and own people with it

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

In Training posted:

Reading about the Long Range Trainer trick and realizing it might be possible to catch every pokemon on one file...amazing

I think they did this at an AGDQ in like 2 hours, where it was maybe three or four glitches which allowed you to catch out of dex pokes each performed many times in succession, and was basically unwatchable.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

In Training posted:

It's good. I have my trusty Mew for Transforming should the need arise

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It sounds like you need to kill a Pokemon with the special stat associated with their pokedex entry reference number. Once I catch everything I can normally I will glitch myself infinite money and Special Up items and manipulate wild dittos into turning into Bulbasaurs and Meowths

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Blaine owned me earlier today.

Now I have reached the pokémon league but my whole team is at level 40-45. It's grinding time

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

that ivy guy posted:

Now I have reached the pokémon league but my whole team is at level 40-45. It's grinding time

you can definitely bop the elite four with pokemon in their 40s if you play to your type advantages

i beat koga's L50 venomoth with a l30 snorlax i caught 5 mins earlier yesterday :getin:

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

you can definitely bop the elite four with pokemon in their 40s if you play to your type advantages

i beat koga's L50 venomoth with a l30 snorlax i caught 5 mins earlier yesterday :getin:

you can, but you have to stick true to your team of best Pokémon friends. you can't just abandon them for any lard piece of rear end that comes snoring your way

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

snorlax is really fun in gen 1, snorlax hyper beam for the epic win

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

that ivy guy posted:

can you only make it a gameboy color with Yellow version? i like playing it with the gameboy border on Red but it would be cool to have it be the gbc border if possible

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

border? what? to do... ooooOOOOH MY GAHD

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Bolverkur posted:

you can, but you have to stick true to your team of best Pokémon friends. you can't just abandon them for any lard piece of rear end that comes snoring your way

this guy knows what's up

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah 40-45 is a good range. I beat rival's Lv 65 venasaur in one Drill Peck from a Lv 40 dodrio. I think it's less harsh than later games on the level differences. I remember G/S second elite four being crazy hard because Red's Pokemon were like level 70

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
u know what pokemon needs. a hard mode

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

I.N.R.I posted:

*Throws white 2 across the room*

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

If hard mode is just stuff is leveled up further then that probably just means more grinding. It would be cool if they could program AIs that battled in a more interesting way, like switching out pokemon ever, but that might be much harder to implement than it seems.

e: they could also do stuff like gym leaders having a gimmick other than their type, so the water gym leader has a rain dance team or one based around entry hazards and roar/whirlwind.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The jugglers in Gen 1 constantly change Pokemon and they're assholes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think something rad they could do that's definitely feasible with today's technology is have the elite four champion function like the demons 3-3 boss, where other players get plucked into your game. Idk how the AI would work but it would be cool if the team you faced was even just a list of the Pokemon they used leveled down to a certain threshold, just for variety

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Loses to pokemon champion for the 6th time due to stealth rock or whatever.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

i know about it, i always just play pokemon games 4-5 levels below the gym leaders though and theyre fun like that. but what would be cool is if like gym leaders had a completely different team on hard mode that was more technical or something.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

co-op pokemon

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

I want co-op pokemon

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

i know about it, i always just play pokemon games 4-5 levels below the gym leaders though and theyre fun like that. but what would be cool is if like gym leaders had a completely different team on hard mode that was more technical or something.

Im sure you did, I just like to see the picture of Nuz Locke and lol.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

In Training posted:

I think something rad they could do that's definitely feasible with today's technology is have the elite four champion function like the demons 3-3 boss, where other players get plucked into your game. Idk how the AI would work but it would be cool if the team you faced was even just a list of the Pokemon they used leveled down to a certain threshold, just for variety

this would be cool. also defeating the rosters of other players after completing elite 4 or something would be cool. like if you battled a player's high-ranking team instead of Red in the postgame

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

The new battle maison should have other player's battle maison teams pop up when you get to higher levels.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
what would make a good pokemon hard mode is:

something you cant get on normal mode but would only appeal to the kinds of people who like hard mode in games (different and more complex boss teams). regular trainers could all be the same lvl since theyre just fluff anyway.
something that you can also do your own challenges over the top of like nuzlocke (like above)
no actual rewards for doing it on hard mode except for maybe a little tiny thing like a new menu colour or hat or something.

IMO.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Bolverkur posted:

this would be cool. also defeating the rosters of other players after completing elite 4 or something would be cool. like if you battled a player's high-ranking team instead of Red in the postgame

they did this in some gen. I forget which. but you had to manually trade info with players. it oughta be global or at least streetpass

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

why is pokemon streetpass completely worthless???

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

GameCube posted:

why is pokemon streetpass completely worthless???

some ppl never get streetpasses. i get thousands cos i live in a city but ive heard about people who get like 2 a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Idk but I carried my 3DS in my backpack for 2 years on campus and the only street pass I would ever get was Pokemon

• Locked thread