Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I feel like scholar got a lot in its 50-60 abilities. I especially like Deployment and Emergency Tactics because they give you tools to better manage where and when you want what galvanize shields, and what is a scholar without being obsessed with micromanaging? I also love Dissipation. It's not just useful in progression content, but also PvP content! And I know just how much other Final Fantasy XIV players want to get into PvP!

I kind of hated the dragoon 60 combo for a really long time, but I kind of got used to it. It's not the 4th combo that makes things hard, it's the Blood of the Dragon buff, and when to use Geirskogul. I suggest using Geirskogul less often until you really get the timing down, but I don't main dragoon, so take my words with some salt!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Presuming you can still combo, Geirs can be safely used when you've got ~25s left on the buff, or the 60s cooldown on BotD has elapsed. Ideally you want to use it in AoE packs, or on bosses when you've got your other buffs up (Internal Release, Blood for Blood, Battle Litany).

You can get thru any non-Savage/Extreme content without using Geirs too much. It's more important to consistently hit your combos and cram all your jumps into buff windows. But correct usage of Geirs is one of those small percentage point differences that matters at endgame.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

staplegun posted:

Everyone that didn't suggest deep-fried okeanis is lying, because the answer for red scrip grinding is deep-fried okeanis. Here's why:

Thanks for the tip. I just got my first crafter to 60 earlier today (GSM), but my CUL is going to be my next job getting up there, and I'm sure this will be good to know.

God, it was such a pain getting ingredients for GSM even just for blue scripts. Crafting is definitely not gonna be my end game, I know that much already.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Stolen from reddit:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
You can use the inspector in your browser to locally change the text of things on HTML pages without even photoshopping it

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

You can use the inspector in your browser to locally change the text of things on HTML pages without even photoshopping it

I just checked the page and it's real.

http://www.ffxiv-freetrial.com/na/

Kobata
Oct 11, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Stolen from reddit:

They seem to be copying from the wiki, probably with a cache/delay.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

So it is. It was cut off on my screen, and the article the "more" linked to had the correct term. Now I feel pretty silly.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Stolen from reddit:

Since they're copying directly from the wiki, someone needs to put blatantly wrong information into the wiki to see if they pass it over.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

DeathSandwich posted:

So I haven't played either since 3.0: How's the meta between Summoner and Black Mage settled in the expansion. I had both at level 50 pre-expac and it felt (at least to me) like BLM was significantly better in any case that wasn't "You always have to move constantly". BLMs had a high damage easy rotation (albeit one you had to stand perfectly still for to do the best damage you could) whereas SUM had to keep a lot of plates spinning to do passable damage and dropping any of them really slowed you down.

It seems just looking at the new Summoner spells that they go a ways to try and juice up their damage and give them a bit more bite outside of their DoTs and pet (ruin 3, painflare, deathflare). Does that help them really get along come endgame vs BLMs?

Just play BLM. If you like big dick DPS in a single target fight, a BLM will always do more than a SMN.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Derail here: I'm looking to get a new hoodie/sweatshirt and thought I'd grab a white mage themed one but I can't find one (at least not what Google is showing me on my phone) and the one I could find had awkward sizing and was $100.

If this does not exist, why not square? It seems like a very simple design, throw it up for like $50 and watch suckers like me print money for you

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Luna Was Here posted:

Derail here: I'm looking to get a new hoodie/sweatshirt and thought I'd grab a white mage themed one but I can't find one (at least not what Google is showing me on my phone) and the one I could find had awkward sizing and was $100.

If this does not exist, why not square? It seems like a very simple design, throw it up for like $50 and watch suckers like me print money for you
You say this like an official Squenix hoodie of any kind wouldn't be absurdly overpriced

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
A boy can dream

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

isk posted:

Presuming you can still combo, Geirs can be safely used when you've got ~25s left on the buff, or the 60s cooldown on BotD has elapsed. Ideally you want to use it in AoE packs, or on bosses when you've got your other buffs up (Internal Release, Blood for Blood, Battle Litany).

You can get thru any non-Savage/Extreme content without using Geirs too much. It's more important to consistently hit your combos and cram all your jumps into buff windows. But correct usage of Geirs is one of those small percentage point differences that matters at endgame.

It depends on your GCD, but you should be safe to geirskogul if you have 23+ after your finished at any skillspeed. If you're like me and have gone crazy with skill speed because you have a ninja and can get away with it, you can geirskogul with 20-21 seconds remaining if you aren't going to stop smacking the boss through your next combo.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Truly the greatest addition to the DGKK household: the cumpuddle rug.

ruta posted:

I feel like scholar got a lot in its 50-60 abilities. I especially like Deployment and Emergency Tactics because they give you tools to better manage where and when you want what galvanize shields, and what is a scholar without being obsessed with micromanaging? I also love Dissipation. It's not just useful in progression content, but also PvP content! And I know just how much other Final Fantasy XIV players want to get into PvP!

Emergency Tactics is great when you have just used an indom and still need to heal the party for a good chunk, so Swiftcast>Emergency>Succor does the job pretty well.

3.2 also improved SCH game by allowing you to macro Sacred Soil to a target. Macro it to cast on yourself and it's now an instant ability.

Oxygen Deficiency fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Mar 8, 2016

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Truly the greatest addition to the DGKK household: the cumpuddle rug.

I'm so proud of us.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Oh my god we need this in EULA. Where does it come from/how much does it cost?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

synthetik posted:

Oh my god we need this in EULA. Where does it come from/how much does it cost?

It's crafted by Weavers.

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Pudding_Throw_Rug

None of the materials are common but they don't look super difficult.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

One of the materials only comes from airship ventures right now though.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Kwyndig posted:

One of the materials only comes from airship ventures right now though.

Secret tip, I got 1 from sector 7 :ssh:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I ended up finding a HQ iLvl 110 Lance on the market board for a decent price, how well should that hold up for me?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It'll get you through level 52 or so and the story will give you something better.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

I need the biggest or most flamboyant Bard's hat available from somewhat current content. Amon's Hat and the Demon Hat of Aiming are on the list, but it feels like it'll be much easier to farm up 3.0+ content, so I'm happy to dial down the fabulousness for the sake of convenience.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Augus posted:

I ended up finding a HQ iLvl 110 Lance on the market board for a decent price, how well should that hold up for me?

I wouldn't waste the gil. It won't last you for very long anyway.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It depends where you are. If you just hit 50 and have the post-release ARR MSQ to do that's going to help your damage a ton.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

If you are on Excalibur, get the mats for a mythrite trident and get someone to craft you a HQ version. It will likely be vastly cheaper and HQ mythrite is only one damage less than i120 Ironworks.

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Mythrite_Trident

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

"You may be asking yourself 'Barry, Levon, where did you get yourselves 240lbs of pudding?' Ssshh, never you mind. Awwww yeah."

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

DeathSandwich posted:

So I haven't played either since 3.0: How's the meta between Summoner and Black Mage settled in the expansion. I had both at level 50 pre-expac and it felt (at least to me) like BLM was significantly better in any case that wasn't "You always have to move constantly". BLMs had a high damage easy rotation (albeit one you had to stand perfectly still for to do the best damage you could) whereas SUM had to keep a lot of plates spinning to do passable damage and dropping any of them really slowed you down.

It seems just looking at the new Summoner spells that they go a ways to try and juice up their damage and give them a bit more bite outside of their DoTs and pet (ruin 3, painflare, deathflare). Does that help them really get along come endgame vs BLMs?

I loving hate Enochian still, but 3.2 made blm much smoother to play, so that I can finally play it without hating the game. The fights in general are more friendly as well in addition, but the 3.2 changes are the real difference maker. Also even in lovely gear I've crit for like 11k on Void Ark bosses so :getin: and all that.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Hyperactive posted:

I need the biggest or most flamboyant Bard's hat available from somewhat current content. Amon's Hat and the Demon Hat of Aiming are on the list, but it feels like it'll be much easier to farm up 3.0+ content, so I'm happy to dial down the fabulousness for the sake of convenience.

they've dialed back on the gaudiness of bard hats lately starting with 3.0 since most of them have to be shared with MCHs :smith:

that being said you might like the dravanian or orthodox tricorne of aiming, the former you get from the two 3.2 dungeons(anti-tower or lost city of ampador hard) and the latter you get from the aery

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Hyperactive posted:

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/item/3dabed3d3fd/

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 8, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They should require DRKs to carry a stack of swords to constantly replace when their flimsy garbage metal katanas break.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

They should require DRKs to carry a stack of swords to constantly replace when their flimsy garbage metal katanas break.

FFT-style Samurai on their way.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

synthetik posted:

I don't think steam knows that the HW files are installed, just that FFXIV is installed and the license is there. Steam doesn't host the patches outside of the main game. What version was it before it started patching?

Launcher says version 2016.02.08, but it's downloading 2014.05.12.

Seriously what gives?

e: also

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 8, 2016

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Launcher says version 2016.02.08, but it's downloading 2014.05.12.

Seriously what gives?

Doesn't the launcher have its own version check that's entirely separate from the game version?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Thundarr posted:

FFT-style Samurai on their way.

I hope FFXIV's Samurai is an int-based magic (tank) job.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Evil Fluffy posted:

I hope FFXIV's Samurai is an int-based magic (tank) job.

Or a healer.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I hope gil toss does damage 1:1 with how much gil you throw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

fount of knowledge posted:

Doesn't the launcher have its own version check that's entirely separate from the game version?

Yeah, it does I think. What I did was, and this is on a brand new installation of Windows 10: Install Steam -> Install FFXIV -> Launch FFXIV --> Launcher Updates to 2016.02.08 --> Login --> Tells me I need to install Heavensward even though Steam says it's installed, but I hit ok and now it's downloading 2014.05.27 which I assume is a 2 year old version of FFXIV.

• Locked thread