Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Why are so many good games hosed up by pointless crafting? I've been playing the new Dying Light DLC and it's really cool, you get a badass buggy that you can customize with flamethrowers and poo poo. But every time you want to upgrade your car you first have to go find/buy 3 wire, 5 screws or some poo poo like that. You've already got a leveling system, just gimme my cool poo poo when I unlock it! Goddamn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Instant Sunrise posted:

i remember being kinda hype about watch underscore dogs after e3 2012 because that demo made it seem kinda cool, and because literally every other game shown at that keynote was a sequel or remake

too bad the final game wasn't like that demo

You can apparently mod in the original E3 graphics settings in the PC version, so it at least looks like that original demo. Seems like a lot of work for what is ultimately still watch_dogs.

http://kotaku.com/see-watch-dogs-hidden-graphics-options-in-action-1592155153

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Sleeveless posted:

Assassin's Creed was mostly about chasing people down to stab them and then outrunning their guards, etc.
Actually rear end Creed 1 was more of a stealth game than its successors.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i was really into hitman 2 so i was expecting something like that when asscreed came out and boy howdy. boy howdy

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Instant Sunrise posted:

i remember being kinda hype about watch underscore dogs after e3 2012 because that demo made it seem kinda cool, and because literally every other game shown at that keynote was a sequel or remake

too bad the final game wasn't like that demo

I swear I saw that preview make it onto some second-rate site's GotY list

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

PantsBandit posted:

Why are so many good games hosed up by pointless crafting? I've been playing the new Dying Light DLC and it's really cool, you get a badass buggy that you can customize with flamethrowers and poo poo. But every time you want to upgrade your car you first have to go find/buy 3 wire, 5 screws or some poo poo like that. You've already got a leveling system, just gimme my cool poo poo when I unlock it! Goddamn!

Crafting has simple checklists and numbers to inform your progress. It adds a superficial "complexity" to an in-game currency. Ostensibly, it is used to give you reason to keep exploring new and dangerous places, rather than playing it overly safe. Going out into enemy territory could find you a heap of crafting items, and they can be contextualized much better than just a single uniform currency item.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm not. I rented it for one day like two years ago. Somebody mentioned it in the thread and it reminded me how bad it is.

I was hoping for open world Hitman but with cyberpunk, but fortunately I heard how bad it was before I bought it.

Sakurazuka posted:

You wait til it's not an early access game

So Friday. Still a little worried it'll be the same problem.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

because people enjoy crafting so it has become a popular feature to add to games

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

PantsBandit posted:

Thank gently caress I'm on PC so I can just Cheat Engine myself a nice fat pile of resources whenever I get bored or hit a wall. It's made so many grindy games become tolerable.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I've played many, many games with a crafting system, but here is a comprehensive list of the ones where I actually used it to any meaningful degree:

- Assassin's Creed Revelations (bombs)
- Xenoblade Chronicles (OP gems to fight secret superbosses with)

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Lady Naga posted:

Treating a story-based videogame like a loving book report is probably the gauchest thing I can think of.

It's the same as not wanting to put in the effort to watch a movie and reading the plot synopsis instead. Not sure how it's gauche considering most people would skip past a pixel rpg and not give it a second thought.

The plot was great but 2d pixel rpgs aren't my thing.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Anyone got the CliffsNotes for Warcraft III handy?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dr Cheeto posted:

Anyone got the CliffsNotes for Warcraft III handy?
I did, but the file got corrupted.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah, what people won't tell you is that random encounters are terrible and Undertale is like 50% random encounters. I got bored with it around a quarter of the way through (also because I'm bad at the bullet hell stuff) but I watched a Let's Play and feel fine about it.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

FactsAreUseless posted:

:shittypop:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

FactsAreUseless posted:

:iceburn:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah, what people won't tell you is that random encounters are terrible and Undertale is like 50% random encounters. I got bored with it around a quarter of the way through (also because I'm bad at the bullet hell stuff) but I watched a Let's Play and feel fine about it.

undertale encounter rate is so low there is no way this is actually an issue for anyone

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah, I saw the bullet hell stuff on the videos I watched, the final ones seemed way too cumbersome and difficult for me to handle. I'd rather just watch a professional do it. Not a fan of random encounters either. Thanks for the input! :)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Don't mix puzzle rooms with random encounters, game devs

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I finished Planescape Torment. Fun experience, too bad the combat was so terrible. That ending was pretty weak and felt like a sequel hook or something, but whatever, the journey was good.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jay Rust posted:

Don't mix puzzle rooms with random encounters, game devs

Yes by all means let's not encourage game makers to strife to make a game where almost every single combat instance is wholly unique and full of personality.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What? I mean don't interrupt my box-pushing puzzle with random combat and break my flow

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Tbh I think the encounter rate in the first ruins area is jacked up compared to the rest of the game, so I can kinda see where you're coming from if you never made it out past the first area

in which case that means you never met the skeletons and hoo boy did you miss out

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Undertale had the perfect encounter rate, except the ruins, which was just too dang much

I say this as a person who was driven to insanity by the dreamcast release of Skies of Arcadia

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The Kins posted:

You should stop letting so many ghosts into your house. Cats hate ghosts.

my apartment managers won't ghost proof the walls, this is bullshit

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jay Rust posted:

What? I mean don't interrupt my box-pushing puzzle with random combat and break my flow

That never happened to me. Well, I think I had to fight an enemy or two while doing that one puzzle with the plants, but the game has only like two box pushing puzzles in the whole game so...

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You're taking my posts too literally I think. Anyway it turns out that JRPGs are just a bad genre of games

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jay Rust posted:

You're taking my posts too literally I think. Anyway it turns out that JRPGs are just a bad genre of games

I think you're just a bad poster.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I think you're just a bad poster.

Man, I'm having a bad day but it keeps getting worse! :(

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jay Rust posted:

Man, I'm having a bad day but it keeps getting worse! :(

It's okay, I'm feeling nauseous and I have to go to a big public event for my job. I sure do hope nothing goes wrong!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Jay Rust posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foSu7jxwctA

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
only thing this month that i'm remotely interested in is the bravely second demo

rip

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What's a good JRPG on ps4? Preferably one with lots of action elements, not like, Persona.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

hubris.height posted:

only thing this month that i'm remotely interested in is the bravely second demo

rip

Yeah this is a slow month for new releases but it gives you a chance to catch up on stuff from the holiday season

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Snak posted:

What's a good JRPG on ps4? Preferably one with lots of action elements, not like, Persona.

FFXV

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Snak posted:

Wait for NIER 2.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Snak posted:

Dragon Quest Heroes.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Snak posted:

Bloodborne :v:

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Cats are always insane.

The Kins posted:

You should stop letting so many ghosts into your house. Cats hate ghosts.

Yup, that does not help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Snak posted:

FFXV is probably going to fill the void. If not maybe Tales of Zestiria.

• Locked thread