Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

Linx posted:

I mean, at least it HAS a story, which puts it above Destiny. That said I am REALLY not enjoying Faye Lau, her character dialogue was even cringier the second time around. So terribly awful.

You know how you're not supposed to care about Faye Lau? Well I do care, and thats the problem. We're going to help her, and help the people of this city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Pivit posted:

You know how you're not supposed to care about Faye Lau? Well I do care, and thats the problem. We're going to help her, and help the people of this city.

All whilst being stunned into silence the entire time and blindly following orders.

Thanks for clearing up my fashion related worries guys, I feel like I'm not missing out now.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Do I need to do anything special to suppress people with an LMG? Shooting at them doesn't work. Well, it kills them, which it's more or less the same, but I suppose supression will be more useful on bosses.

Also, if you want to play pretty princess murderhobo early, there is a contaminated building south of your first home base in Manhattan that has a bunch of clothes laying around.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Tenzarin posted:

Yea defending a point for 2 minutes at a time is completely different than the destiny missions.

Ok so to be clear, you are saying the mission type in Division is exactly the same whether side missions or story missions?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fat Samurai posted:

Do I need to do anything special to suppress people with an LMG? Shooting at them doesn't work. Well, it kills them, which it's more or less the same, but I suppose supression will be more useful on bosses.

Also, if you want to play pretty princess murderhobo early, there is a contaminated building south of your first home base in Manhattan that has a bunch of clothes laying around.
Literally just shoot in their general direction, with any gun.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Utnayan posted:

Ok so to be clear, you are saying the mission type in Division is exactly the same whether side missions or story missions?

Well that's not really off base. About the only differences in the story missions and side missions are scale and location. They're all about just showing up and murdering black people with bats named alex..at least so far.

Mello Yello
Dec 27, 2004

Let's Samurize, Guys!

Linx posted:

I mean, at least it HAS a story, which puts it above Destiny. That said I am REALLY not enjoying Faye Lau, her character dialogue was even cringier the second time around. So terribly awful.

That lady voice acted her heart out but in the end you can't save that script. That's a shame.

A lot of people that are really down on this game seem to be down on it based on the open beta and not the actual game? I'm having fun with it so far. The setting is gorgeous and I like exploring the alleyways and side-streets, my level 4 rooftop blue was a pistol though. I'm not willing to reroll the entire newbie island segment to try for a better weapon, but I'm hunting for a marksman rifle ASAP.

Does the DZ work like the open beta? IE: at player level 8 will the DZ also rank up and drop better loot? You got packs full of blues at 8+ but pretty much nothing before that.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Do you have to play with friends to really have fun or can I just dick around by myself?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Zaphod42 posted:

lol if you blindly bought the division expecting a story. This is not a story game dude. The story sucks, but the shooting is great, the graphics are great, the multiplayer is great and the loot is great.

This is a pretty retarded statement which doesn't shock me coming from you, considering Ubisoft has been sponsoring character development spots on various websites featuring story of the world and the background, and also advertising that for in-game characters and background drops. His question is valid, and maybe not in as so much as story itself, but at least varying mission types which differ from Destiny. And no, the shooting is clunky along with the UI (At least it was in beta) compared to Destiny which had the shooting spot on with weak mission structures/design.

I can forgo the shooting mechanics here and sporadic cover response issues from beta if the mission types are differentiated for at least the main story lines. Otherwise, it's another RNG loot simulator.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Linx posted:

All whilst being stunned into silence the entire time and blindly following orders.

Thanks for clearing up my fashion related worries guys, I feel like I'm not missing out now.

I was really really bummed about lack of fashion. If you do this one mission.... gently caress I wish I could explain it better where it is. Its in the starting neighborhood area, and you need to have a contamination mask... yeah, look for the first red square contamination area nearest to the starting camp on manhattan.

If you do that mission, and explore around on it (you have to hurry but you have like 5 minutes) you can get a whole set of basic cosemetic gear, hat, coat, shoes, etc.

Give you some more cosmetic options until they sort out the rewards bonus thing :)

Fat Samurai posted:

Nah, just shooting at them or even over their heads will suppress them. It takes a second though so if you're just murdering people then they won't get suppressed, it'll matter more on stronger enemies yeah. (and players!)

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

thebushcommander posted:

Well that's not really off base. About the only differences in the story missions and side missions are scale and location. They're all about just showing up and murdering black people with bats named alex..at least so far.

Ok that's what I was concerned about. Thanks :)

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

blue squares posted:

Do you have to play with friends to really have fun or can I just dick around by myself?

So far in my limited level 7 experience you can do everything solo, but if you want to do the missions on hard mode you need to group up and so far the pubbies I have grouped with have all been useless about 3/4 of the time.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

blue squares posted:

DZ is best experienced with friends, but content outside the tenderloin is great either way. Not to say you can't roll solo in the DZ, but it's a lot easier to have fun and pick fights when you've got a couple other guns at your side.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I feel like there's a really great story game that could be made about being an activated sleeper agent. Something that's a cross between Hitman and Firewatch.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Utnayan posted:

This is a pretty retarded statement which doesn't shock me coming from you, considering Ubisoft has been sponsoring character development spots on various websites featuring story of the world and the background, and also advertising that for in-game characters and background drops. His question is valid, and maybe not in as so much as story itself, but at least varying mission types which differ from Destiny. And no, the shooting is clunky along with the UI (At least it was in beta) compared to Destiny which had the shooting spot on with weak mission structures/design.

I can forgo the shooting mechanics here and sporadic cover response issues from beta if the mission types are differentiated for at least the main story lines. Otherwise, it's another RNG loot simulator.

Holy poo poo you're dumb

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So I'm level 15 and about to embark on a bunch of crafting to bring up my kill speed. Is Tech going to make a huge difference for the strength of my healing abilities and ballistic shield? Wondering if it's only worth worrying about at higher levels, and just dumping all points into firearms/stamina for now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

blue squares posted:

You can play with randoms or you can play solo. :thumbsup:

Deakul posted:

Holy poo poo you're dumb

Yeah that's Utnayan for you, he's a moron.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Yodzilla posted:

I feel like there's a really great story game that could be made about being an activated sleeper agent. Something that's a cross between Hitman and Firewatch.
A post-apocalyptic stealth action game would be really easy to gently caress up and turn into Yet Another Assassin's Creed, I'm kind of glad they decided to rip off Destiny instead

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

I miss the days when you could buy a game, install it and play it without having to rely on some company's lovely infrastructure being available.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

So I'm level 15 and about to embark on a bunch of crafting to bring up my kill speed. Is Tech going to make a huge difference for the strength of my healing abilities and ballistic shield? Wondering if it's only worth worrying about at higher levels, and just dumping all points into firearms/stamina for now.

Dunno about the shield, but yeah increasing tech both speeds up your heal and makes you heal for more, significantly. And if you get the sticky grenade that means damage.

That said, stamina and firearms are also pretty important. Your choice how to balance your character!

I like that there's no classes and we're totally free to build how we see fit.

Mr. Clark2 posted:

I miss the days when you could buy a game, install it and play it without having to rely on some company's lovely infrastructure being available.

This is basically an MMO in every way except not having a monthly fee. If this was 2005 it would be called "The Division Online".

Even Diablo 3 is always-online dude :cheeky:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

You can play with randoms or you can play solo. :thumbsup:

Is it actually fun to play solo or with randoms though, or do you really need to group up with people you know to have fun with anything?

That's a big sticking point for me on deciding whether to buy as well, I'd like to have the option to log in on my own and dick around have a good time without either banging my head against the wall or getting called a human being by 12-year olds

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Zaphod42 posted:

That said, stamina and firearms are also pretty important. Your choice how to balance your character!

I like that there's no classes and we're totally free to build how we see fit.

Can you swap out skills and talents at will?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is it actually fun to play solo or with randoms though, or do you really need to group up with people you know to have fun with anything?

That's a big sticking point for me on deciding whether to buy as well, I'd like to have the option to log in on my own and dick around have a good time without either banging my head against the wall or getting called a human being by 12-year olds

I probably wouldn't do hard mode missions with assorted randoms but the regular content is pretty fun even if you're pubbing!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

Do you like diablo? If you like the idea of a third person shooter diablo, then yeah, its totally fun entirely solo. The loot in this game feels good, and crafting is REALLY well designed.

That said, the MMO features are really good so making friends with randoms is something that could potentially happen, unlike in destiny. But no, solo should be fine, as long as you're cool with killing dudes to get better loot. You're not going to get an amazing mass-effect level storyline or anything.

And even in the dark zone you can go solo and murder people as a rogue or murder rogues and save people and get great loot.

I spent half the beta playing solo and half the beta playing with my roommate and had a blast both ways.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Can you swap out skills and talents at will?

Skills yes, you can freely swap them, although you have to unlock the upgrades at the base.

Talents i'm not sure. I've heard of a respec or a rerolling, so maybe not? But it seems like its not permanent either? Unsure.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Was this what people who live in Chicago felt like playing Watch Dogs? I like the setting but it doesnt really feel like New York.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Do you like diablo? If you like the idea of a third person shooter diablo, then yeah, its totally fun entirely solo. The loot in this game feels good, and crafting is REALLY well designed.

That said, the MMO features are really good so making friends with randoms is something that could potentially happen, unlike in destiny. But no, solo should be fine, as long as you're cool with killing dudes to get better loot. You're not going to get an amazing mass-effect level storyline or anything.

And even in the dark zone you can go solo and murder people as a rogue or murder rogues and save people and get great loot.

I spent half the beta playing solo and half the beta playing with my roommate and had a blast both ways.

Skills yes, you can freely swap them, although you have to unlock the upgrades at the base.

Talents i'm not sure. I've heard of a respec or a rerolling, so maybe not? But it seems like its not permanent either? Unsure.

That sounds like it's a good time then, thanks. I even didn't really mind pubbing it in Destiny, so if this is better than that (outside of hard mode stuff) then I'm sure I'll be fine.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Talents you can freely swap. It's in your abilities tab.

Respec and rerolling are used for gear.

So I turned on the "parkour" setting. Basically has you auto-climb stuff if sprinting. I actually kind of like it, but there are strange interactions. Like if you go to a open gate you'll mantle the whole drat thing instead of just going through the open gate.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Mello Yello posted:

A lot of people that are really down on this game seem to be down on it based on the open beta and not the actual game?

For me at any rate, it is about knowing there is mission variety so I am not doing the same mission type over and over. By that, wanting to know if it is at least disguised a bit. Say for instance, being sent in to destroy a shipment, sabotage an enemy loot cache, a mission having different objectives than go here, defend against a wave of enemies, rinse and repeat the entire game. If it has that, even if minimal and only with story missions, that would help and I would grab it over lunch on PS4. The abilities and skill options and pseudo base building look good, with a lot of customization - along with griefing the ever living poo poo out of Zaphod42 in a DZ while blasting Air Supply's "Here I am the one that you love" over my headset - can make the game epic while the little prick cries himself to sleep over his lost loot.

It's fairly new right now for a lot of folks who haven't gotten to other areas yet. If the mission types differentiate, it would go a long way. So if anyone has an example on some story missions from the gameplay perspective, I would be interested to hear about those.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

That sounds like it's a good time then, thanks. I even didn't really mind pubbing it in Destiny, so if this is better than that (outside of hard mode stuff) then I'm sure I'll be fine.

Its less of a twitchy shooter than destiny, its more RPG and strategic. But yeah, pubbing it in Division is as good or better than Destiny, totally good times solo.

Unlike Destiny where some things you have to matchmake and other things you can't matchmake, in the division you can always go solo or you can always matchmake. Its your choice.

Hard mode is pretty rough solo but you can always get better gear or level up and then try it again, but normal is definitely do-able solo and fun and easy.

And you can always play with goons :)

Utnayan posted:

For me at any rate, it is about knowing there is mission variety so I am not doing the same mission type over and over. By that, wanting to know if it is at least disguised a bit. Say for instance, being sent in to destroy a shipment, sabotage an enemy loot cache, a mission having different objectives than go here, defend against a wave of enemies, rinse and repeat the entire game. If it has that, even if minimal and only with story missions, that would help and I would grab it over lunch on PS4. The abilities and skill options and pseudo base building look good, with a lot of customization - along with griefing the ever living poo poo out of Zaphod42 in a DZ while blasting Air Supply's "Here I am the one that you love" over my headset - can make the game epic while the little prick cries himself to sleep over his lost loot.

It's fairly new right now for a lot of folks who haven't gotten to other areas yet. If the mission types differentiate, it would go a long way.

Lol, loving :goonsay:

You're real loving cool dude!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 8, 2016

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Floppychop posted:

So I turned on the "parkour" setting. Basically has you auto-climb stuff if sprinting. I actually kind of like it, but there are strange interactions. Like if you go to a open gate you'll mantle the whole drat thing instead of just going through the open gate.

Be careful of this. It becomes real easy to pop yourself over cover during a firefight.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Utnayan posted:

Please go back on your meds.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

MikeyKins posted:

On PS4, I had the same issue as many last night where it crashed as soon as I was leaving Brooklyn. When I logged in this morning, I was back in Brooklyn, and I have no idea how to progress to Manhattan.

People are telling you to replay the final Brooklyn mission, and that's incorrect. You can just walk to the area that the final mission pops you out in (the green area in the top left corner of the Brooklyn map), walk through two gates, and then the cutscene plays again. I had the same thing happen to me, and this worked and let me progress.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have issues where the scope keeps vanishing off their sniper rifle when switching weapons? It annoyed me enough that I sold my SCAR and now I have a scope stuck in my inventory that I can't sell...

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Utnayan posted:

It's fairly new right now for a lot of folks who haven't gotten to other areas yet. If the mission types differentiate, it would go a long way. So if anyone has an example on some story missions from the gameplay perspective, I would be interested to hear about those.

For a serious answer, I've done about 10 missions. One was "defend these supply drops, they're not all in one area", two were "go through area, kill dudes", one was "find all the contaminated scanning things, go upload it. One was "defend this person", another was "free the hostages" and that's just from memory. I don't remember the rest because it was like 2am.

There are also collectables/dark zone stuff. Plenty of variety in the three or so hours i've managed to get out of it. However if you're expecting this game to be revolutionary and come up with mission objectives that aren't "go here, do this" then lol. Not happening.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

dogstile posted:

For a serious answer, I've done about 10 missions. One was "defend these supply drops, they're not all in one area", two were "go through area, kill dudes", one was "find all the contaminated scanning things, go upload it. One was "defend this person", another was "free the hostages" and that's just from memory. I don't remember the rest because it was like 2am.

There are also collectables/dark zone stuff. Plenty of variety in the three or so hours i've managed to get out of it. However if you're expecting this game to be revolutionary and come up with mission objectives that aren't "go here, do this" then lol. Not happening.

Yeah the "defend these supply drops that are spread out" was pretty fun and I didn't run into that in the beta, hopefully there's even more cool stuff.

But shhhh :ssh: Don't tell Utnayan that. We want him to go away as soon as possible.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

DAE think this game will fail if it doesn't include every aspect of every game? There are a few things I've seen done in other games that are not in this one so I have cancelled my preorder until such time as Ubi$oft have added these basic features of modern games:

80 different mission types
procedurally generated faces
Dynamic Global Illumination
60 hours of story content written by Stephen King
crouching

\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ Hard mode is more fun

MagnumOpus fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 8, 2016

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Why do the hard missions before you're 30? You get gear upgrades constantly from just about everything else you do. Sure they might not be blues but it's not like you need blues to survive.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Personally I find the lack of a /dance emote worrisome

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Though the sarcastic applause is on point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002