Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
The UCS sets are almost all designed and inteded to be "model kit" display pieces. The Slave I set is amazing and worth the purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Gabriel Pope posted:

Lego is cool and fun and interesting, three things which marble mazes are not.

E: I mean yes I admire the craftsmanship and mechanics of the Lego labyrinth set, much as I admire the work that goes into a handcraft wood marble maze, but from a kid's perspective that's a lot of effort going into emulating a vastly shittier toy.

Except a Lego marble maze is cool, fun and interesting because you don't just get to admire the craftsmanship and mechanics of a marble maze, you get to build it yourself and admire your craftsmanship. That's the appeal. The finished product is secondary, but a marble maze is still a fun diversion. My kid would love this. Not sure if he'd prefer this or another Nexo Knight set if you put them side by side, but he certainly wouldn't be disappointed to get this (he's not, too expensive).

I get the feeling a few people are underestimating not just kids, but the appeal of the hand-on and physical and overestimating their ability to see things from their perspective.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Zodack posted:

The UCS sets are almost all designed and inteded to be "model kit" display pieces. The Slave I set is amazing and worth the purchase.

Well, I'll see how I'm feeling once exams are done and I can take a break. The Temple of Airjitzu also looks awesome (and my wife would love the shadow puppets, being an Indonesian music scholar) but I don't care too much for the minifigs as I'm not into the theme.

I really wish the 10210 Imperial Flagship were still being sold as it's the kind of set I always wanted when I was a kid, but I came out of my dark age 5 years too late :smith:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I play with my UCS sets. I've got the TIE, X-Wing, Slave I, and Sandcrawler (Ewok Village if you want to count that, and Orthanc which isn't SW), and probably the one I play with least is Slave I, but I do still play with it. It's the least swooshable, and the crappy clip that holds carbonite Han on the back of the door has snapped, but I like playing with the retractable weapons and the badass Fett minifig. The playset type ones are great (Sandcrawler/Ewoks/Orthanc) to just fool around with, especially with how much stuff is jam packed into the Sandcrawler, and the TIE and X-Wing are pretty fun to swoosh and go "vrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaa" or however you put the TIE noise into words, I don't know.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!
So I'm going to have a huge list of retired sets I'll be selling soon, would it be cool to post here?

I've never actually sold anything on SA, should I just make an SA-Mart thread and link it here? I'd rather have these sets go to people who will appreciate them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

People use this thread for trading/selling quite a bit. What do you have?

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

I don't have a complete list, but I have a lot of stuff. I'll make one when I get home tonight.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Only selling or trading as well? I've got three file boxes full of ziplocked sets from the last few years. They're all in great shape, I just don't have the display space for them anymore.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

Selling. I don't have a ton of room, and I'm only keeping a few sets I want to display.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

What is the end date for double points?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I want to say the 22nd.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

youareoffthehook posted:

I don't have a complete list, but I have a lot of stuff. I'll make one when I get home tonight.

Sweet. Be sure to specify what country you live in because exchange rates/shipping etc.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

VaultAggie posted:

I want to say the 22nd.

Probably the day before some epic rad set everyone wants is released.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
*Offer is valid 7 - 22 March, 2016 in a LEGO Store, via LEGO.com/shop and on orders over the phon

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

Chris Knight posted:

Sweet. Be sure to specify what country you live in because exchange rates/shipping etc.

I will, thanks!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Ball mazes are awesome, I'm going to buy it, gently caress you guys

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Call me when we have Lego Screwball Scramble, the best ball maze (ish) toy.

Drider-Man
Jan 30, 2007

Drider-Man, Drider-Man
Does some things that a drider can.
Can he swing from a web?
Ask your DM
Speaking of selling sets, it looks like I might be looking to sell my US B-Wing. I want to pick up the Slave 1 and I think I need to get rid of something to make room. What's the best place to figure out a good price(it's complete, just no box)? This is my first time dealing with selling Legos.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

DarkRider09 posted:

Speaking of selling sets, it looks like I might be looking to sell my US B-Wing. I want to pick up the Slave 1 and I think I need to get rid of something to make room. What's the best place to figure out a good price(it's complete, just no box)? This is my first time dealing with selling Legos.

Brinklink, that's where I'll probably be pricing mine from.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Did some case-reorganizing because of the new CW releases, feels good to have two solid rows of Iron Man. The new War Machine kicks rear end, too.

A bit bummed on no minifig-scale Ant-Man from these sets - are we getting any more CW sets or is this it? I'm kind of hoping for Spider Man / a new Ant-Man but this many sets is usually the limit for LEGO, plus I think we'd have heard about them by now, right?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You didn't get the ant man and firefly set?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I kick myself over it frequently. Around the time I went to get it they did the recall, so I couldn't find it anywhere - not even at the LEGO store. By the time I got it into my mind to go looking for it again it was gone.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
Any Red Dwarf fans in the house?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Zodack posted:

I kick myself over it frequently. Around the time I went to get it they did the recall, so I couldn't find it anywhere - not even at the LEGO store. By the time I got it into my mind to go looking for it again it was gone.

I still see it at TRU, maybe go look there?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zodack posted:

What recall?

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Bit of a long-time lurker and occasional poster for lego stuff, but am deciding to finally get involved with this, and put together a new MOC yesterday:

LMA-7 'Vanessa' - Oblique/main overview

Full gallery:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/oleenanatiras/albums/72157665579809876

Would welcome any thoughts or feedback, kind of getting a better feel for things again. Have a few other models waiting to be properly photographed as well.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Digging your use of snowshoes

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Most everything is fine but those are-guns are too stumpy and the balljoint is too exposed

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Zodack posted:

Did some case-reorganizing because of the new CW releases, feels good to have two solid rows of Iron Man. The new War Machine kicks rear end, too.

A bit bummed on no minifig-scale Ant-Man from these sets - are we getting any more CW sets or is this it? I'm kind of hoping for Spider Man / a new Ant-Man but this many sets is usually the limit for LEGO, plus I think we'd have heard about them by now, right?

Unnnnffff that iron man set. Might be the next set I put together.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Captain Invictus posted:

Most everything is fine but those are-guns are too stumpy and the balljoint is too exposed

Hmm... might be able to do something on the ball-joint, throw a small guard or something in there. Cheers.

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

That's right, and it's an Armani.

Fair Hallion posted:

:monocle:

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

So I'm making up my list of all the sets I want to sell, but I only have boxes for about 2 or 3 of them. Most if not all bricks are in great condition, they just need to be sorted into sets.

My question is, what's the best way to price them? I've looked them all up on Bricklink and written down the price ranges that I saw. How much should I take off for no box?
Most of the instructions are in pretty good if not perfect condition as well. There's sets that I'm sure are missing pieces, but if I can get the right price for them, I'd buy the missing pieces from Bricklink to make them full sets.

I don't have pictures of all of the sets since I still have to sort them out, but I do have a list. Am I ok to post the list here and add photos later on, or should I just wait until I've got them all sorted?

EDIT:
I also have a Fire Brigade with an extra level, but no box. What would be a decent price for the additional level with the rest of the set? I see it going for $800+ with the box with no extra level.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Fair Hallion posted:

That reminds me, I need to make some scutters out of printer parts. Are there any lego pieces that approximate scutter mouth pieces and which aren't too huge?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Zodack posted:

Theoden is a lefty...

:goonsay:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

youareoffthehook posted:

EDIT:
I also have a Fire Brigade with an extra level, but no box. What would be a decent price for the additional level with the rest of the set? I see it going for $800+ with the box with no extra level.

Make sure to check amazon prices too

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Creator-Fire-Brigade-10197/dp/B002O064J0

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

Thanks.

But no website will tell me what I should ask for with an extra level, since I got mine from the Lego store I worked at when we parted out the ones that weren't packaged right or whatever. So I literally have a second level with the kitchen and ping-pong table etc.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

youareoffthehook posted:

Thanks.

But no website will tell me what I should ask for with an extra level, since I got mine from the Lego store I worked at when we parted out the ones that weren't packaged right or whatever. So I literally have a second level with the kitchen and ping-pong table etc.

Add 50 or a hundo

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is it possible to get the hover horse thing in 70314 Nexo Knights by itself?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

youareoffthehook posted:

So I'm making up my list of all the sets I want to sell, but I only have boxes for about 2 or 3 of them. Most if not all bricks are in great condition, they just need to be sorted into sets.

My question is, what's the best way to price them? I've looked them all up on Bricklink and written down the price ranges that I saw. How much should I take off for no box?
Most of the instructions are in pretty good if not perfect condition as well. There's sets that I'm sure are missing pieces, but if I can get the right price for them, I'd buy the missing pieces from Bricklink to make them full sets.

I don't have pictures of all of the sets since I still have to sort them out, but I do have a list. Am I ok to post the list here and add photos later on, or should I just wait until I've got them all sorted?

EDIT:

Where in the world are you seeing it for that much? BrickLink has multiple mint-in-sealed-box copies up for sale starting at $330.
For the second level, compare with the Grand Emporium second levels that are available on BL. A sealed Grand Emporium starts at $265, and the second floor-alone prices are at $130-160. A Fire Brigade second floor might be $150-200, if there's any demand.

It's hard to give general pricing advice, since sets have wildly differing values. You can't apply Modular Building pricing strategies to Alien Conquest or 2011 City sets. And the equations all change as the sets get older and how popular the series was. M:Tron will almost certainly have a higher value than same-era City sets, though City sets involving Space Shuttles seem to be more valuable than other City sets. Batman sets from 2008 probably have more value than 2008 Spongebob or Exo-Force sets.
BL always has a variety of options--restrict your search to one country, then compare 'New' (basically sealed-box) to 'Used', which will range from incomplete to complete to complete with instructions to complete with instructions and box, and see how prices compare.

I tend to avoid auctions with boxes, since I'll recycle boxes from new sets and I'm actually interested in selling off the handful of old boxes I've acquired. I prefer to buy with original instructions and will pay a bit more if they're included. If a set is missing common pieces, I usually won't ding it too much, but if it's missing an iconic rare piece (like the Mega Core Magnetizer's windscreen or one of the grey multipoint antennas from the late 70s Space sets, which can go for $15+ alone), it better be significantly cheaper than a complete one goes for. I'm not going to spend $50+17 shipping on a Mega Core Magnetizer that's missing two wheels, the windscreen, two minifigs, and printed panels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

deoju posted:

Theoden is a lefty...

:goonsay:

Updating him now, thanks

I'm surprised you didn't also point out the Flametrooper's gun is missing the nozzle.