Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

wayne curr posted:

Speaking of horrible waste, it's time for a nostalgia trip!

http://www.buttcoinfoundation.org/mining-rig-megapost/

It's hard to believe that just 2-3 years ago, ANYONE could mine bitcoins using PC video cards. poo poo, you used to be able to mine them with just your CPU at one point.

Wasteful nostalgia you say?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut8mwo7vGBI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

herhehejhrekjashsd
Mar 7, 2016

by zen death robot
y ru competing

just team up

go with hillary

CabaretVoltaire
Jun 10, 2003
Better than Turin Brakes.

That was a great and very bizarre read. Here's a load of reasons why bitcoin is broken and has no future.. so here's what we gotta do..

herhehejhrekjashsd
Mar 7, 2016

by zen death robot
i guess ppl never got the idea of picking up and carrying LOL

the team on ur back

put the team on ur back

score the touch down

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
So this came across my twitter feed. My first time finding bitcoin in the wild. Article has a ton of great quotes like:

"Our companies weren't doing anything wrong and were going through [anti-money-laundering] and [know-your-customer] processes, but were kicked out of bank after bank after bank."

"With blockchain, we know what the technology is, but we don't yet know what problem it is solving."

"The things [the blockchain] does really well are certification of assets. Think of a deed for a house. If the house burns down, there is no proof. This is a way to prove I own it."

http://www.americanbanker.com/news/bank-technology/banks-are-grabbing-in-the-dark-blockchainbitcoin-vc-draper-1079723-1.html?pg=3

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I can't wait for bitcoin to disrupt both home ownership and fire safety.

Uhhhh...

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

TheHoosier posted:

VOCAL CORD PARASITES

The story to MGS5 was so bad.

And when they make you listen to the song about killing words in the jeep for 10 minutes. Omg so bad.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

turbomoose posted:

So this came across my twitter feed. My first time finding bitcoin in the wild. Article has a ton of great quotes like:

"Our companies weren't doing anything wrong and were going through [anti-money-laundering] and [know-your-customer] processes, but were kicked out of bank after bank after bank."

"With blockchain, we know what the technology is, but we don't yet know what problem it is solving."

"The things [the blockchain] does really well are certification of assets. Think of a deed for a house. If the house burns down, there is no proof. This is a way to prove I own it."

http://www.americanbanker.com/news/bank-technology/banks-are-grabbing-in-the-dark-blockchainbitcoin-vc-draper-1079723-1.html?pg=3

yeah no proof at all, certainly houses don't have title records that would be ridiculous, blockchains didn't even exist when this house was built!

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Thanks, that's an interesting way of looking at it!

hail orlaf

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Buttcoin purse posted:

Thanks, that's an interesting way of looking at it!

hail orlaf

You're welcome, my friend. Hail orlaf.

johnny almond
Apr 20, 2009
http://www.bitcoingroup.com.au/2016/03/09/bitcoin-group-withdraws-from-its-ipo-and-asx-listing-application/

Short of it is: mining company tries to get listed on Australian Stock Exchange, the ASX does it's due diligence and demands insurance that investors wont unreasonably lose funds, Buttcoin-Group cries.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

johnny almond posted:

http://www.bitcoingroup.com.au/2016/03/09/bitcoin-group-withdraws-from-its-ipo-and-asx-listing-application/

Short of it is: mining company tries to get listed on Australian Stock Exchange, the ASX does it's due diligence and demands insurance that investors wont unreasonably lose funds, Buttcoin-Group cries.

Are they the ones who were on their 6th listing attempt?

quote:

In preparing the working capital report, Grant Thornton, the independent accountant was required to factor in the reduction of newly minted bitcoins released on the occurrence of block halving in July 2016

Good, the reward halvening is working out exactly as we had hoped.

johnny almond
Apr 20, 2009

Buttcoin purse posted:

Are they the ones who were on their 6th listing attempt?

I believe so, 5th or 6th.

helixxo
May 2, 2005
Hey Sir! Sir! Come back! Please come back to the thread so we can poo poo on you! Our dicks are painfully swollen and red from the circular jerking!

Nice to see people talking/debating aspects of bitcoin in the last few pages. Except for this guy...
Next time why not save yourself and other people's time and just type "No." for your breathtaking insight?

I enjoy the comedy too though.

My personal bitmining operation solves the problem of drawing from the electrical grid, it's powered by 18 wheeler diesel engines. And there's no risk of fire, the equipment is all cooled by submersion in giant tanks of water, which is also my failsafe against federal raids (thanks, Sealand!). I guess my obsession all started with Minecraft... I just loving love mining!

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hail orlaf bro

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

helixxo posted:

Hey Sir! Sir! Come back! Please come back to the thread so we can poo poo on you! Our dicks are painfully swollen and red from the circular jerking!

Nice to see people talking/debating aspects of bitcoin in the last few pages. Except for this guy...
Next time why not save yourself and other people's time and just type "No." for your breathtaking insight?

I enjoy the comedy too though.

My personal bitmining operation solves the problem of drawing from the electrical grid, it's powered by 18 wheeler diesel engines. And there's no risk of fire, the equipment is all cooled by submersion in giant tanks of water, which is also my failsafe against federal raids (thanks, Sealand!). I guess my obsession all started with Minecraft... I just loving love mining!

Is this a joke or are you actually a bittard converting diesel fuel into CO2 and bitcoins

CabaretVoltaire
Jun 10, 2003
Better than Turin Brakes.

helixxo posted:

I just loving love mining!

mate you're a poser and you know gently caress all about mining. "minecraft" you're talking about a children's computer game. You go getting down and dirty in a shaft, wearing a hard hat and drilling for all you're worth then you can talk about how much you love mining

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

helixxo posted:

Circle (who says circular??) jerking implies that there's some valid point bitcoiners can make about bitcoin.

There is not. It's failure at every level. One would not think it is possible but there it is, the perfect mock target.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Maybe he meant circular jerking, it could be what happens when you (by yourself) just twist your hand back and forth around your dick. Sounds like how a bitcoiner might masturbate

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Circular jerking is when you twist your body so that you cum into your mouth. It is the preferred form of jerking it for libertarians and bitcoiners because gently caress wasting any of my precious cum, do you even realise how limited the world supply of cum is? If the entire world economy switched over to cum overnight, imagine how much each ejaculation would be worth.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
So, I used to teach distributed systems. We'd basically start with centralized systems and point out that they have genuine problems (single point of failure etc). Then we'd discuss distributed systems, which are harder to make work and never more efficient than centralized ones. They can often be more reliable and you can balance performance for resilience. At the end of the spectrum we have peer-to-peer systems, where we have virtually zero performance as most protocols are just "spam and hope for the best." I saw a p2p implementation of DNS and was constantly asking myself why anybody would do that ever. And I was the teacher.

Similarly, we have a spectrum of currency. Not to compare with the autism spectrum which it is, I am sure, entirely unrelated to. At the one end we have central banks which control currencies. They have problems but are fairly efficient at what they do. At the other end we have the asperger dollar with no trust, no performance and spending them is just spam and hope for the best. Best case not being able to spend them but not getting killed being unable to.

The requirement for proof of work stems entirely from the wish to have a pure peer-to-peer solution (let's ignore blah-blah about fiat currencies and gold standards for now). Switch to a distributed solution with a web of trust public-key like structure, and you'd remove at least the "everybody needs to know everything at all times" requirement keeping the transactions severely limited, and would make signing transactions actually efficient.

Butts could move towards a hierarchical agreement protocol (actually the bitcoin exchanges more or less were this; you'd transfer your butts to the exchange and then do your transactions using even-faker-butts on the exchange until these were converted back to good solid butts (or more like stolen) that you could proceed to be unable to spend). They could move towards quorum-based agreement instead of simple majority. Stop circular jerking over the block-chain (a chain is really just an extreme case of a circle) and use a vector-stamped distributed tree. Distributed agreement is not easy, but very well-studied.

The thing is, computer science has so many solutions to many of the problems we see in butts that if they would just stop pretending they are revolutionizing computer science they might actually patch up their system. Kazaa also didn't really work long term - it was technically broken long before lawsuits killed it - and today we have a working p2p protocol, torrents, even though it doesn't really matter because we all download most stuff from a distributed CDN like Akamai/Google/Facebook.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
That's all well and good friend, but have you read Satoshi 3:16 of The Whitepaper written by the man himself? I think you'll find that all that is good and true lies thusly within the kingdom of His blockchain, father and son of the one true protocol, amen.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
That's a very good point. Guess I'll just go invest my life savings in butts and conveniently spend them using a safe procedure with only slightly more steps than the fricking AA :)

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Have you ever looked outside and cast your gaze upon the ephemeral silver moon? That's where bitcoin is going soon, friend, so you would be wise to HODL you coins until our Savior returns to us and lifts us all there with his own mighty hands. Meanwhile, we invite you to attend service where you can learn to cast away your doubts and sing praise of His word: http://churchofsatoshi.org/

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

This summer I plan to make the holy pilgrimage to the summit of Mt. Gox, myself.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

raditts posted:

This summer I plan to make the holy pilgrimage to the summit of Mt. Gox, myself.

Like green boots

With Bitcoin addresses tattooed to your corpse

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

raditts posted:

Careful brother! While in winter the mount freezes, come spring the cryptorivers thaw and nerd tears wash down the mountain. This makes the going treacherous, the sodden cardboard as like to swallow and man as hold his weight.

NObodiesGeek
Jun 14, 2003
I'm not shy, I just hate you.
I know bitcoin isn't real money because no one can roll one up to snort coke.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

NObodiesGeek posted:

I know bitcoin isn't real money because no one can roll one up to snort coke.

Maybe you can't :smug:

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

akulanization posted:

Careful brother! While in winter the mount freezes, come spring the cryptorivers thaw and nerd tears wash down the mountain. This makes the going treacherous, the sodden cardboard as like to swallow and man as hold his weight.

lol

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

quote:

The Russian Ministry of Finance has announced an amendment to the country's criminal code which will impose prison sentences of up to seven years for the issuing of Bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies. A government source speaking to Interfax (Russian) said that the maximum prison sentence for individuals found issuing cryptocurrencies would be 2-4 years, and/or up to three years' worth of salary or income, whilst managers of dispensing institutions could face seven years in prison, up to four years of income equivalent in fines, and a lifetime ban from similar posts. Russia announced the ban on Bitcoin or other 'money surrogates' in February of 2014, asserting that cryptocurrencies facilitate money-laundering and other criminal activity.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
We believe in one Coin
The Finite in quantity
Record of wealth and birth
of all that is, seen and unseen.

NObodiesGeek
Jun 14, 2003
I'm not shy, I just hate you.
What does this do to someone's Internet connection mining coins all the time, especially since comcast is starting to cap data usage?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

NObodiesGeek posted:

What does this do to someone's Internet connection mining coins all the time, especially since comcast is starting to cap data usage?

Its mainly to redownload the blockchain over and over?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Its mainly to redownload the blockchain over and over?

Which itself is large enough to hit most usage caps.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
bitcoin is stupid but data caps are also stupid

The Bible
May 8, 2010

blowfish posted:

bitcoin is stupid but data caps are also stupid

What are the limits anyway? I live in a modern country with 100Mb connections and no cap at all.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Data caps exist in places like Australia because they've failed to implement modern internet infrastructure.

As an aside, it's hilarious that people think Netflix is going to somehow find customers in those countries.

That said, you only need to download the entire blockchain once. After that, each new block is 1 MB, and you only need to upload something when you either confirm a block (first), or are making a bitcoin transaction. So it's not that bandwidth intensive. But that initial download is gigantic: currently 61.5GB.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If your faith in bitcoin is real then you run 100 bitcoin nodes in your garage, but that's still less than 1 GB per hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Data caps exist in places like Australia because they've failed to implement modern internet infrastructure.

As an aside, it's hilarious that people think Netflix is going to somehow find customers in those countries.

At least in Australia ISPs make deals with content providers like Netflix, or run their own content servers (like with Steam) to provide unmetered downloads.

The smallest plan I could get with my Naked DSL was 1TB anyway, it's not like in the old days where you're paying $100 a month for the privileged of getting 20gb of downloads. At least not in built up areas. It's still pretty bad out in the bush.

• Locked thread