Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's not a hat. That's dinner, on your head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah, it does I think. What I did was, and this is on a brand new installation of Windows 10: Install Steam -> Install FFXIV -> Launch FFXIV --> Launcher Updates to 2016.02.08 --> Login --> Tells me I need to install Heavensward even though Steam says it's installed, but I hit ok and now it's downloading 2014.05.27 which I assume is a 2 year old version of FFXIV.

I think someone mentioned it before, but Steam has little or nothing to do with updating MMO clients. In the case of Steam saying you have Heavensward, all that means is that the flag is tripped on your account showing that you own it. All the actual file downloading and updating is handled through the FF14 launcher.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah, it does I think. What I did was, and this is on a brand new installation of Windows 10: Install Steam -> Install FFXIV -> Launch FFXIV --> Launcher Updates to 2016.02.08 --> Login --> Tells me I need to install Heavensward even though Steam says it's installed, but I hit ok and now it's downloading 2014.05.27 which I assume is a 2 year old version of FFXIV.

Yeah, that sounds like the initial 2.0 version or something. Once it's done, it should be fairly easy to see if it actually installed twice. I do know he steam version is kinda screwy, at least in the licensure aspect.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Nipponophile posted:

I think someone mentioned it before, but Steam has little or nothing to do with updating MMO clients. In the case of Steam saying you have Heavensward, all that means is that the flag is tripped on your account showing that you own it. All the actual file downloading and updating is handled through the FF14 launcher.

Make sense. But why is the actual FFXIV launcher trying to download a patch titled 2014.x.x when the launcher itself is running 2016.x.x?

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Eimi posted:

I loving hate Enochian still, but 3.2 made blm much smoother to play, so that I can finally play it without hating the game. The fights in general are more friendly as well in addition, but the 3.2 changes are the real difference maker. Also even in lovely gear I've crit for like 11k on Void Ark bosses so :getin: and all that.

This sounds interesting to me since I dropped BLM as my main shortly after getting it to 60 since I didn't really find it fun to play anymore. What 3.2 changes in particular make it more bearable now? Haven't touched the job in months.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Make sense. But why is the actual FFXIV launcher trying to download a patch titled 2014.x.x when the launcher itself is running 2016.x.x?

You have to get all that old stuff too.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Belzac posted:

I hope gil toss does damage 1:1 with how much gil you throw.

How much HP do bosses generally have? I figure it has to be upwards of hundred thousands since I'm generally the weakest DPS in unsynched dungeons and even I hit for 1k a second or so.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Aphrodite posted:

You have to get all that old stuff too.

I guess I just assumed installing the game off of steam would give me the most up to date version like how installing wow off of the battle.net launcher gives me the most up to date wow.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Steam gives you just whatever was initially uploaded when the game went on the store, version 1.0.

(Which is actually 2.0 with this game because it's FF14 version 2)

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

And never tell steam to validate the game files.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

SonicRulez posted:

How much HP do bosses generally have? I figure it has to be upwards of hundred thousands since I'm generally the weakest DPS in unsynched dungeons and even I hit for 1k a second or so.

The previous top tier raid boss had 2.1 million, plus 4 legs of 600k or so each. The current has over 3 million (not sure how much over, though.)

Saigyouji fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 8, 2016

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Boris Galerkin posted:

Launcher says version 2016.02.08, but it's downloading 2014.05.12.

Seriously what gives?

The launcher and game versions are entirely separate. The launcher is updated less frequently than the game so at some point you'll get game patches that are after 2016.02.08.

The patch system works by downloading all the various patches and then applying them. I don't think they do "roll-up" patches, so what you're seeing is it downloading the patches in order to bring the client up to date.

What you can do if you want to copy the client onto a new computer is run the installer to get registry entries and whatnot set up, then copy over the contents of an existing install on top of the new install. This will work and will prevent you from needing to download everything again.

I don't know how the Steam installer works but it wouldn't surprise me if all it did was install the launcher and require the rest of the game be downloaded through that.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

nuru posted:

Yeah I did this last night and it ended up telling me there was no executable to run so it had to download the entire 10 GB game again. Then I launched FFXIV this morning before going to work to download this 18 GB patch and came home to a nice window saying FFXIV could not be updated without any reason. Well here's hoping try #2 goes differently.

It's been a real nice experience so far.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Because the launcher is a completely separate piece of software from the game. The launcher always gets updated to the most current version first thing, then it starts pulling the game updates.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Xenoveritas posted:

I don't know how the Steam installer works but it wouldn't surprise me if all it did was install the launcher and require the rest of the game be downloaded through that.

Steam downloads some 10 GB worth of files.

e: OK the Launcher is at version 2016.02.08 but the game client is still at 2014.x.x makes sense now.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

nuru posted:

This cannot be stressed enough.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Squeenix could upload newer files to steam regularly so you'd only have to get the latest hotfix or whatever they can't get approved quick enough via launcher.

But PS3 limitations.

vvv: Yep, it's what most MMO vendors do on steam. You get a couple weeks old valve approved build from steam and then launcher patches the rest.

Truga fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 8, 2016

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Truga posted:

Squeenix could upload newer files to steam regularly so you'd only have to get the latest hotfix or whatever they can't get approved quick enough via launcher.

But PS3 limitations.

This is what I assumed happen, like why wouldn't Square Enix upload whatever version of FFXIV was shipped with HW so that I don't need to install a 10 GB base game and then download a 18 GB patch that's still 2 years old.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

This is what I assumed happen, like why wouldn't Square Enix upload whatever version of FFXIV was shipped with HW so that I don't need to install a 10 GB base game and then download a 18 GB patch that's still 2 years old.

You'd have to do that anyway, just through Steam instead of Steam then the launcher.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Boris Galerkin posted:

Probably because they can't without screwing up everyone who's already installed. Presumably if they did update the Steam copy, everyone with it would find their clients get reverted to whatever version that is. If they timed it right it might not matter, but I'm not sure how Steam deals with updating a copy of a game where the game files have changed. I know you can force it to revalidate its cache and not download a fully patched version of a game, but I don't know if they could do that at this point in time without making it so that everyone with the game installed through Steam would be forced to redownload the game from scratch.

They really should have just left the game files out of Steam entirely and let the launcher be the sole thing that deals with the game files.

Aphrodite posted:

You'd have to do that anyway, just through Steam instead of Steam then the launcher.

You might shave some size off the download. It's unclear how much, since the patches are delta updates of some form and most of the updates are new content being added rather than existing content being changed. But things like the game executable and zones like Mor Dhona have changed, so there probably would be some space saved. Probably in the 200-500MB range, but some.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Xenoveritas posted:

You might shave some size off the download. It's unclear how much, since the patches are delta updates of some form and most of the updates are new content being added rather than existing content being changed. But things like the game executable and zones like Mor Dhona have changed, so there probably would be some space saved. Probably in the 200-500MB range, but some.

The difference is that steam's download servers don't suck, and it won't error and stop downloading, but try again until it's finished.

I mean, FF14 patches quickly for me 90% of the time but sometimes it's just a slog at 50kb/s or stops every 100 megs for no apparent reason.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Finally got the last of my crafting specs to 3*, so now I can actually start saving money again instead of having it exist in a perpetual state of flux.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
So random question, I don't do collectable gathering very much, but it seems like as I'm using methodicial appraisal / discerning eye a few times, the node suddenly disappears and I haven't gathered any items. Other people are still on the node mining so I'm obviously screwing up. The game doesn't do a great job explaining collectibles and I can't seem to find great guides on them either. What am I doing wrong?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Hello catgirl game thread. I have been advised that your catgirl game is probably the least objectively garbage and anime out of the collective heap of objective garbage anime that is the current MMO market. I was hoping that you could answer some more specific questions for me:

0) as a person whose only real MMO investment has been WoW, what should I know about this game (other than to not pick the anime catgirl)? How's it alike, how's it different, what's better, what's worse? This can probably be interleaved with the next few questions.
1) How the gently caress does the job/class system work?
2) Specifically how does it work in regards to overall levelling? Is your general measure of power a combination of all your job/class levels, your highest level, or what?
3) If I decide halfway through job/class A that I want to try job/class B instead, what sort of backtracking does this involve?
4) How stringent is the "you must be this goon to ride" requirement? Are there allowances for non-goon vouches? Are there allowances for j4g vouches?
5) What's the endgame look like? i.e. what sort of things like dailies, heroics, raids, etc would I be looking at and what sort of autism investments will I require for them?
6) How's the levelling grind? I've heard that the expansion content is gated behind the main story quest, and that that transition is somewhat painful, but otherwise the whole process isn't awful. Please refute or support this analysis.

thanks and god bless

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

1) Your mainhand weapon determines your current class. At 30 each class (except the 3 expansion ones which start as a job at level 30) upgrades to a Job. You always use the Job, it is an expected part of your progression and not some optional thing. Classes level independently.
2) Your general measure of power doesn't matter. Your current power in your current job is what matters. That's determined by level, and then at 60 by item level. If you have everything in the game at 60 except a single class, you're still just a piddly level 1 on that class. A piddly level 1 with access to some cross-class skills and an exp bonus, but still little better than a brand new level 1 player.
3) Changing jobs doesn't re-activate quests or anything, so zero backtracking in that sense. You do start at 1 again.

6) The grind is minor on your first class and significant on any others.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

seiferguy posted:

So random question, I don't do collectable gathering very much, but it seems like as I'm using methodicial appraisal / discerning eye a few times, the node suddenly disappears and I haven't gathered any items. Other people are still on the node mining so I'm obviously screwing up. The game doesn't do a great job explaining collectibles and I can't seem to find great guides on them either. What am I doing wrong?

Like with regular gathering, most actions you take will take away from the "health" of the node. So every action spent appraising is an action not spent actually gathering. That's why you want to get your collectability up high enough in as few appraisals as possible, so you get to actually gather that high-collectability thing more times.

In your case, it seems like you're depleting the health of the node so much with other things that you don't even get to the point of gathering once before it's depleted.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

An addendum to this: Any class that isn't your highest leveled class gains a 100% exp bonus before 50, and a 50% exp bonus thereafter. You also get a ring early on that boosts pre-30 exp gains by 30%.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

seiferguy posted:

In addition to what Vil said, you have to watch the time as well. HW hidden nodes don't stick around as long as the old ones do, and once the window closes, they're gone.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Aphrodite posted:

1) Your mainhand weapon determines your current class. At 30 each class (except the 3 expansion ones which start as a job at level 30) upgrades to a Job. You always use the Job, it is an expected part of your progression and not some optional thing. Classes level independently.

After reading the OP I'm a little confused on this - does a level 29 gladiator class become a level 30 gladiator job? Or are you required to have a level 30 and level 15 class in order to have a job? Do crossclass jobs start at level 1 (e.g. 30 Gladiator 15 Conjurer = 1 Paladin)?

Aphrodite posted:

2) Your general measure of power doesn't matter. Your current power in your current job is what matters. That's determined by level, and then at 60 by item level. If you have everything in the game at 60 except a single class, you're still just a piddly level 1 on that class. A piddly level 1 with access to some cross-class skills and an exp bonus, but still little better than a brand new level 1 player.

3) Changing jobs doesn't re-activate quests or anything, so zero backtracking in that sense. You do start at 1 again.

Hm okay. So basically if I want to swap classes or jobs or whatever, I'm going to be doing dungeons and killing boars in the forest?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Belzac posted:

I hope gil toss does damage 1:1 with how much gil you throw.

That would set a good price for cheesing various raids.

RedRaven
Sep 11, 2001

He's going to SHOCK the world!

ChickenWing posted:

After reading the OP I'm a little confused on this - does a level 29 gladiator class become a level 30 gladiator job? Or are you required to have a level 30 and level 15 class in order to have a job? Do crossclass jobs start at level 1 (e.g. 30 Gladiator 15 Conjurer = 1 Paladin)?

Hm okay. So basically if I want to swap classes or jobs or whatever, I'm going to be doing dungeons and killing boars in the forest?

Once you have level 30 GLD and 15 CNJ, you can take a quest to become a PLD. The only thing you get out of that quest is what is called a "job stone" - it's an extra item just for jobs. You put on the PLD job stone as a GLD and instantly become a 30 PLD - the two levels are the same and there's never any reason to be a GLD ever again (all of your class quests will be PLD, higher stats, ect).

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

ChickenWing posted:

All jobs share their level with the respective level 30 class. You need a 30 and a 15 to unlock the job quest.

quote:

Yes. (It's worth noting that dungeons give a hell of a lot of exp.)

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Leveling alt classes /jobs is fairly painless if you take advantage of all the repeated daily and weekly bonuses available to you. You won't be sitting at a monster camp for multiple hours to level up.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Also this game's equivalent of killing boars in the forest is running FATEs, which is still pretty grindy but not as bad as OG boar-killing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ChickenWing posted:

A Paladin is a Gladiator. Don't think of them as separate things. For all intents and purposes at level 30 the name of your class changes, and you continue on as that new thing. Your Paladin is whatever level your Gladiator is, and earning exp while a Paladin levels them simultaneously.

The system is a needlessly complicated relic of an abandoned design plan.

As a progression barrier you do need the level 15 in a specific second class to unlock a job, but that doesn't affect your playstyle. By no means does a Paladin need to take Conjurer skills (though they can) and you don't become a battle healer or anything.

(Arcanist is a little different. Arcanist makes trying to explain things to newbies complicated. gently caress Arcanist.)

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Honestly the worst part of leveling alts is the 1-15 stretch, since you don't have many abilities or any dungeon access.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

This sounds interesting to me since I dropped BLM as my main shortly after getting it to 60 since I didn't really find it fun to play anymore. What 3.2 changes in particular make it more bearable now? Haven't touched the job in months.
AF/UI last 12 seconds and the timing for when they kick in is more prompt upon spell conclusion.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

That would set a good price for cheesing various raids.

It'd also make bleeding edge crafters the most sought-after raiders since why not drop a couple mil per instant clear when you have billions.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Saigyouji posted:

Honestly the worst part of leveling alts is the 1-15 stretch, since you don't have many abilities or any dungeon access.

What is the ideal approach to this part, anyway? Run leves or just grind FATEs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

ChickenWing posted:

Hello catgirl game thread. I have been advised that your catgirl game is probably the least objectively garbage and anime out of the collective heap of objective garbage anime that is the current MMO market. I was hoping that you could answer some more specific questions for me:

0) as a person whose only real MMO investment has been WoW, what should I know about this game (other than to not pick the anime catgirl)? How's it alike, how's it different, what's better, what's worse? This can probably be interleaved with the next few questions.
1) How the gently caress does the job/class system work?
2) Specifically how does it work in regards to overall levelling? Is your general measure of power a combination of all your job/class levels, your highest level, or what?
3) If I decide halfway through job/class A that I want to try job/class B instead, what sort of backtracking does this involve?
4) How stringent is the "you must be this goon to ride" requirement? Are there allowances for non-goon vouches? Are there allowances for j4g vouches?
5) What's the endgame look like? i.e. what sort of things like dailies, heroics, raids, etc would I be looking at and what sort of autism investments will I require for them?
6) How's the levelling grind? I've heard that the expansion content is gated behind the main story quest, and that that transition is somewhat painful, but otherwise the whole process isn't awful. Please refute or support this analysis.

thanks and god bless

For starters this game is anime as all get out. It might not be Blade and Soul levels of anime but it's prognosis is still dire.

1. Jobs are a thing you equip as specific classes basically. It is literally an item. It gives you a stat boost, job specific abilities, and it bars you from just cherry picking cross class skills. For example, if you are a pugilist, you can use the conjurer skill, "cure" assuming you levelled conjurer high enough to know it. Equip the monk job and you can't anymore because monks only use lancer and marauder skills. There is basically no time you want to not be a job at this point though.

2. Jobs use the base class level. If your pugilist is 30, your monk is 30. If you get experience as a monk it goes into the pugilist exp pool. Play pugilist, get level 31, equip your jobstone and you will be a 31 monk. Play monk to level 32, unequip the stone and you will be a 32 pugilist. In terms of power, you don't need to level all classes but you will be expected to have hit certain milestones by level 50 in other classes. Monk for example is expected to get lancer to 34 and marauder to 26. You don't need to do this the second you unlock your job but once you finish the 2.0 main story you really should.

3. It mostly involves doing your hunting log and grinding fates and dungeons if you are being ultra efficient about it. Like WoW you can also go do quests in another area you didn't go through. You gain 50% increased experience from kills, fates, and leves (but NOT quests) when levelling a combat class that is lower than your highest.

4. Not very, instructions for that are on ffgoons.com which you will need to register at. Read the OP basically.

5. There is a wide spectrum of content to do at level cap. You've got daily quest rep grinds. You've got a plethora of dungeons including a few roulettes with daily bonuses. You've got raids in the ultra casual (24 mans), casual (alex story), mid-tier difficulty (ex primals), and hardcore (alex savage) flavors. Crafting and gathering are their own entire god drat thing and it is ridiculous. Savage will have the best gear but you can eventually get gear that's drat close to it in quality just through tomestones (think hero and valor points if I am remembering the WoW terminology correct). There's also the Manderville Golden Saucer which hosts a bunch of mini games you might fall into like chocobo racing, triple triad, and more. And of course there's the ever present urge to fill bars and level all the classes. Basically the level of content in this game is bonkers and they tend to add a whole pile more every 4 months just about. 2new dungeons, a new raid, more main story, side-stories, tons of QoL fixes and new features every patch basically.

6. 60 hours for 1-50. Another 30ish to finish up the patch content between 2.0 and 3.0 and another 60 hours to do 50-60 in Heavensward.

0. It's story is a hell of a lot better, even if it is pretty basic to start before descending into insultingly dull between levels 22 and 36. Post 36 it's good or at least worth paying attention, although it dips again in 2.1 but goes back to fine in 2.2 and gets really drat good in heavensward. There's maybe 1 instance in the entire game where an npc upstages you as the pc so that's nice. The localization team is also a lot more self-aware than WoW ever was. The art direction is a lot better too, especially when it comes to how your pc looks and the armor they can wear. Travel is generally much faster since you can teleport around, the zones are smaller to begin with and when they do get larger in the expansion you also get flight. Crafting and gathering are super serious and not an afterthought. I feel like they dish up much better endgame content for casual players.

It's worse in it's quest design. WoW in WotLK and beyond would put together some pretty interesting quests. Here it's almost never anything beyond the standard kill/collect/examine x variety (although they don't waste your time like WoW. The majority of kill quests are kill 5 or less and if you need to kill something to get 3 of an item they will always drop that item). Levelling with a partner is drastically worse if you are levelling your first classes together because you will constantly having to break your party to do the main story and class quest solo instances so it gets tiresome. Also getting together before level 15 is difficult to impossible depending on where you start, not that 15 takes particularly long, That said, fates and dungeons all level sync so you can do those with someone regardless of your level so that's nice. The FF14 devs assumed that the main playerbase for this game would be entirely new people to the genre and they were right, but this means that you will get abilities at a criminally slow rate. Pretty much all the classes feel like trash to play sub level 30 and there are a few that don't come together for poo poo until the 40's like dragoon. The global cooldown is 2.5 seconds and takes some getting used to.

In the personal taste area, I think the community in ff14 is a lot better. But I want chill people to play with who don't throw fits if someone isn't pulling their weight because I find that poo poo tiresome. If you want people who generally play competently then this game is worse since I run into bad players a LOT more frequently. And I don't mean mediocre I mean fuckin' BAD. Party size is 4 man for dungeons, 8 for most raids, and 24 for a small handful of things. The PvP in this game is... well I like it but you would have to try it yourself. No open world stuff. Classes are better balanced but there also isn't any real choice in build options. No true hybrid classes but Warrior and Scholar are close. Tanks and healers are expected to contribute to group dps as best as they can so tank and healer gearing actually tends to veer more towards dps stats..

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 8, 2016

• Locked thread