Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

enigmahfc posted:

We're all trying to ignore it the best we can.

And Dash is an even poorer man's Kyle Katarn.

He looks like someone out of the artwork for the Jehovah's Witnesses booklets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Been having some good luck with XXX lists, although I'm still favoring a variant with Poe involved to fight TLTs.

quote:

=========
Wes Janson (31)
X-Wing (29), R3-A2 (2), Veteran Instincts (1), Integrated Astromech (0)

Wedge Antilles (36)
X-Wing (29), R5-P9 (3), Proton Torpedoes (4), Guidance Chips (0)

Biggs Darklighter (31)
X-Wing (25), R2-F2 (3), Experimental Interface (3)

How dumb is Biggs with EI here?

Should I just give up on Wedge's proton torps and use Predator?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

canyoneer posted:

He looks like someone out of the artwork for the Jehovah's Witnesses booklets.

Kyle has seen the light, and the light is having a comically oversized blaster pistol.

Turkson
Mar 30, 2011

My TIE Interceptor list got spanked hard last Saturday so I'm thinking about maybe making a Rebel list to play with.

Poe Dameron (33)
- BB-8
Red Ace (36)
- R2-D2
- Comm Relay
Nera Dantels (30)
- Proton Torpedoes

My other thought was downgrading Nera to a generic B Wing and adding PTL or something else. I don't own VI or Autothrusters.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Turkson posted:

My TIE Interceptor list got spanked hard last Saturday so I'm thinking about maybe making a Rebel list to play with.

Poe Dameron (33)
- BB-8
Red Ace (36)
- R2-D2
- Comm Relay
Nera Dantels (30)
- Proton Torpedoes

My other thought was downgrading Nera to a generic B Wing and adding PTL or something else. I don't own VI or Autothrusters.

This is the best luck I've had with a rebel ace list actually:
*Note: I play against a list where Poe doesn't need VI most of the time, but you can swap that if you want.

quote:

Poe Dameron (31)
Push the Limit (3)
R5-P9 (3)
Autothrusters (2)

Ello Asty (30)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R2-D2 (4)
Autothrusters (2)

Bandit Squadron Pilot (12)

Bandit Squadron Pilot (12)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

If you're wanting Poe and Red Ace specifically though, try this load out. Replace the Stresshog with whatever you'd like for the points.

quote:

Poe Dameron (31)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R5-P9 (3)
Autothrusters (2)

"Red Ace" (29)
R2-D2 (4)
Comm Relay (3)
Autothrusters (2)

Gold Squadron Pilot (18)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
R3-A2 (2)
BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)

Gerdalti fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 8, 2016

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

General Battuta posted:

Been having some good luck with XXX lists, although I'm still favoring a variant with Poe involved to fight TLTs.

If youre not married to the idea of XXX try replacing Wedge with Keyan with HLC+Opportunist. Drop the Biggs stuff Imo. Hes gonna die, let him die cheap.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I'm 1-1 tonight.

I first ran Han and Keyan against some brobots, spread out. I focused fired on one, and took it down and then I not thinking happened to do a 1 move while touching the other with han, and it worked out, because he had no manuvers that didn't not knock it off the edge.

The second one didn't go nearly as well. I tried to only use non-proxies. I flew:

Epsilon Leader
Weapons Leader
Stealth Device

Omega Leader Ace
PTL
Stealth Device

Wampa
Shield Upgrade

Kir Kanos
Stealth Device
Royal Guard
Shield Upgrade

My opponent used a B (Keyan actually), A and Y. He flew his A away using an abillty that let it keep boosting for free, kept chasing it and was only getting hits from the others until I gave up and tried to focus fire on the Y. I flew poorly and Omega got killed before it could use it's ability once. I managed to take out the Y, and I had a chance, but my other two got picked off. I thnk the B wing was badly injured (I managed to do 1 face down through shields on it), but the A-wing was just 1 shield down.

One interesting thing that happened was an enemy ability caused me to take a crit through my epsilon's shield, which was a direct hit, which was just 1 short of killing it with a shield.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 8, 2016

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'd be worried about how difficult that would be to pull off, but it's definitely an interesting idea. Wouldn't they just ignore Dash and shoot Chopper instead if he was trying to ram them anyway?

That's fine; they can spend all day chewing through 16 HP while Dash does 4 dice range 3 shots back. The Ghost's 4-5 dice primary will help with that as well.

"Chopper" (37)
Navigator (3)
"Zeb" Orrelios (1)
Tactical Jammer (1)

Dash Rendar (36)
Push the Limit (3)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Kanan Jarrus (3)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Outrider (5)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Improbable Lobster posted:

Dash is the smuggler that's Han Solo but cooler and more important to the rebellion, right?

It continues to annoy me that they set it between ESB and ROTJ and had to dream up Mountain Dew Commercial Han Solo EX PLUS ALPHA Edition with XXXTREME Falcon to tell a Starwar story rather than use Lando, who was doing jack and poo poo, and had care and custody of the actual Falcon. I guess that would have meant having to fudge and have you play someone else for the Hoth level tho.

Most people who remember that game fondly are thinking of the Hoth level, and not the subsequent 4,000 hours of samey brown corridor shooting.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Also remember that Shadows had a huge marketing push behind it as I think they were testing it to possibly be a movie or something. Everyone already had Han and Lando and Falcon toys so they needed something else to sell.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

General Battuta posted:

You may consider R4-D6 on Biggs. Slightly cheaper, you can drop Experimental Interface to stick Predator and Torps on Wedge, and you force opponents to hit you a minimum of three times to actually shoot you down. Works especially well if you run into HLC Brobots, since they'll do a maximum of 2 damage per shot while Biggs is alive, and that's more than enough time to burn one of them to the ground. Slap on Integrated with your now-free mod slot and laugh to the bank.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Foolster41 posted:

I'm 1-1 tonight.

I first ran Han and Keyan against some brobots, spread out. I focused fired on one, and took it down and then I not thinking happened to do a 1 move while touching the other with han, and it worked out, because he had no manuvers that didn't not knock it off the edge.

The second one didn't go nearly as well. I tried to only use non-proxies. I flew:

Epsilon Leader
Weapons Leader
Stealth Device

Omega Leader
PTL
Stealth Device

Wampa
Shield Upgrade

Kir Kanos
Stealth Device
Royal Guard
Shield Upgrade

My opponent used a B (Keyan actually), A and Y. He flew his A away using an abillty that let it keep boosting for free, kept chasing it and was only getting hits from the others until I gave up and tried to focus fire on the Y. I flew poorly and Omega got killed before it could use it's ability once. I managed to take out the Y, and I had a chance, but my other two got picked off. I thnk the B wing was badly injured (I managed to do 1 face down through shields on it), but the A-wing was just 1 shield down.

One interesting thing that happened was an enemy ability caused me to take a crit through my epsilon's shield, which was a direct hit, which was just 1 short of killing it with a shield.

If you have Omega Leader, you have Juke and Comm Relay. That is a much superior OL loadout than PtL.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Otisburg posted:

It continues to annoy me that they set it between ESB and ROTJ and had to dream up Mountain Dew Commercial Han Solo EX PLUS ALPHA Edition with XXXTREME Falcon to tell a Starwar story rather than use Lando, who was doing jack and poo poo, and had care and custody of the actual Falcon. I guess that would have meant having to fudge and have you play someone else for the Hoth level tho.

Most people who remember that game fondly are thinking of the Hoth level, and not the subsequent 4,000 hours of samey brown corridor shooting.

Hey dude, the space levels were rad, and so was the swoop bike level. I also recall liking the Boba Fett jetpack level too, and the IG-88 train level.
But there was also an obligatory, awful sewer level too so :shrug:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Ord Mantell was great until you reached IG-88, then it became the most stressful level in existence. The sounds IG made used to scare the bejesus out of me because you knew they'd always be followed by an unavoidable string of Pulse Lasers.

The jet pack level (Galt?) was great too.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

zVxTeflon posted:

Also remember that Shadows had a huge marketing push behind it as I think they were testing it to possibly be a movie or something. Everyone already had Han and Lando and Falcon toys so they needed something else to sell.

I think shadows of the empire was basically a test to see if you could sell the movie tie in merchandise (books, games, toys) for a movie that basically does not exist. Hell, why create new Star Wars movies, which take time and money when you can just create the thing that makes the money?

It's regrettable that the Xizor pilot ability isn't to use his pheromones to seduce enemy pilots, that's totally something that happened in that goofy book.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

It's regrettable that the Xizor pilot ability isn't to use his pheromones to seduce enemy pilots, that's totally something that happened in that goofy book.

He also electrocuted his muscles for the lazy man's work out.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Some Numbers posted:

If you have Omega Leader, you have Juke and Comm Relay. That is a much superior OL loadout than PtL.

I don't have the FO expansion yet. I might have given the wrong name there.
Most likely my next purchase, but not before the tournament.

E: I meant Omega Ace. So OA PTLs and EL takes the stress. If I have OL I'd probably be running that instead.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 8, 2016

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Omega Ace is hilarious against Decimators. Just laying down three crits with a dial that means you give zero fucks about the stress from PTL.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Shadows of the Empire was great, mostly because we get to see Leia kick a lizard man in the balls. :colbert:

Seriously though, Dash was a bad enough dude to save the President Princess and he's got a cool looking ship. Game was fun, book was a SW book.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Pretty sure Xizor's ship had a rear arc in the book too

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Admiral Joeslop posted:

That's fine; they can spend all day chewing through 16 HP while Dash does 4 dice range 3 shots back. The Ghost's 4-5 dice primary will help with that as well.

"Chopper" (37)
Navigator (3)
"Zeb" Orrelios (1)
Tactical Jammer (1)

Dash Rendar (36)
Push the Limit (3)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Kanan Jarrus (3)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Outrider (5)

Is Navigator going to be all that useful on such a low PS ship? On the other hand I'm now compelled to combine Navigator with Hera Syndulla. If you start on a red maneuver you can still use nearly half of the VCX-100 maneuver dial.

nilstryfe
Dec 22, 2004
Hong Kong Cavalier

Every time I see this I just hear him burp-puking in his mouth as he's talking.

Is accuracy corrector and autoblaster turret on A-PL Chopper a thing? That seems like it would be great for someone who loves to mix it up and might not have any actions much of the time, 2 completely unblockable damage if you don't have a primary arc shot.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Dash + Chopper is my list for regionals already.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ranbo das posted:

Dash + Chopper is my list for regionals already.

Oh man I'm totally starting to feel like I'm part of the cool club now.

nilstryfe posted:

Every time I see this I just hear him burp-puking in his mouth as he's talking.

Is accuracy corrector and autoblaster turret on A-PL Chopper a thing? That seems like it would be great for someone who loves to mix it up and might not have any actions much of the time, 2 completely unblockable damage if you don't have a primary arc shot.

What's "A-PL"?

Otherwise yeah, that seems like a good combination. Getting within Range 1 might cause problems unless you're hunting low PS targets.

EDIT: While I'm asking, how do Anti-Pursuit Lasers work with respect to overlapping? Is it overlapping if the player's maneuvering path crosses over your ship, or do they physically have to be touching you?

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 8, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Foolster41 posted:

I don't have the FO expansion yet. I might have given the wrong name there.
Most likely my next purchase, but not before the tournament.

E: I meant Omega Ace. So OA PTLs and EL takes the stress. If I have OL I'd probably be running that instead.

Okay, yes, Omega Ace with PTL is quite good.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Oh man I'm totally starting to feel like I'm part of the cool club now.

What's "A-PL"?

Otherwise yeah, that seems like a good combination. Getting within Range 1 might cause problems unless you're hunting low PS targets.

EDIT: While I'm asking, how do Anti-Pursuit Lasers work with respect to overlapping? Is it overlapping if the player's maneuvering path crosses over your ship, or do they physically have to be touching you?

APL is anti pursuit lasers. :v:

The ship has to actually bump for them to trigger. If they fit past, nothing happens, of they get pushed back and end up touching you, they trigger.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Gate posted:

APL is anti pursuit lasers. :v:

The ship has to actually bump for them to trigger. If they fit past, nothing happens, of they get pushed back and end up touching you, they trigger.

Welp.

I think I'd rather spend the points on Zeb and Hera, since together they give me a pretty good chance of getting in a position for APL to work and then I can smack the target in the face with 5 dice. Of course that's not so viable against aces.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I'm gonna run Zeb + FCS + meither autoblaster or a 2 point initiative bid on chopper. If the generic pilot costs 3 less than chopper I'd probably go generic + gunner + fcs + zeb. Even at range 3 gunner + fcs should be stripping tokens left and right

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ranbo das posted:

I'm gonna run Zeb + FCS + meither autoblaster or a 2 point initiative bid on chopper. If the generic pilot costs 3 less than chopper I'd probably go generic + gunner + fcs + zeb. Even at range 3 gunner + fcs should be stripping tokens left and right

Looking things over I'm wondering about combining FCS with Weapons Engineer. You could go with a 58 point Super Dash and a generic with FCS, Weapons Engineer, Tactical Jammer, and Hera Syndulla if the generic VCX-100 is 35 points or less. Or ditch Hera and the Tactical Jammer for Han Solo, although personally I really like the idea of simply not caring about actions and just stressing yourself out to your hearts content. It also makes Chopper particularly appealing if you Never Not Ram.

I'm thinking Anti-Pursuit Lasers would be less useful than 420 Target Locks every day by going Chopper, FCS, Hera, Zeb, and Tactical Jammer.

Weirdneal
Jan 2, 2010

ranbo das posted:

At PS3 (generic)/PS4 (Chopper), who would he be stripping tokens for?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Himself, with gunner. The classic method of dealing with Soontir/Whisper. Force them to either let 1 damage through, or try to dodge the full damage twice.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Yesterday I brought a Wes/Wedge list that someone posted here, and switched out the third X-Wing for Jake as a flanker.

Wes Janson — X-Wing 29
Veteran Instincts 1
Flechette Torpedoes 2
R3-A2 2
Integrated Astromech 0
Ship Total: 34

Wedge Antilles — X-Wing 29
Opportunist 4
BB-8 2
Integrated Astromech 0
Ship Total: 35

Jake Farrell — A-Wing 24
Push the Limit 3
Chardaan Refit -2
Outmaneuver 3
Autothrusters 2
A-Wing Test Pilot

I went 2-1 with it. Lost to a 4 ship generic Rebel list when I couldn't focus down a B-Wing before Wes got killed. I then beat up on a Scum Bobba Fet with N'Dru and a Crack shot K-Fighter.

Final round of the day was against a Whisper + Echo list, both with gunner, FCS, VI, and ACD. The before placing dials on the second round, I asked my opponent if he needed me to go over any of my setup, but he just kinda waved me off. He then proceeded to move Whisper into range 2 of all three ships. I almost felt bad as he watched me completely whiff my roll with Wes on the flechette torpedoes to still leave whisper with 2 stress. Follow up with Wedge getting 2 hits and a crit through to one shot Whisper, and he wasn't really happy.

The only thing is I think Predator might have been better on Wedge. Either that or I need to take target locks more often. Whenever I was rolling 5 dice with Opportunist with a focus token, I seemed to roll 2-3 blanks.

I am now a convert to church of Stress Wes and his buddy Wedge.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Fat Dengar build?
-Predator
-Gunner
-Engine
-Glitterstim
-R5-P8??
-Title

Not as durable as a Fat Han, but even more mobile and can deal even more damage. R5-P8 because Imp Aces hate that, and so do regen aces really. No one enjoys taking free damage. Don't really see a need for Unhinged, but R4-B11 could be another option to screw with high defense ships with the gunner shot.

One question I'm curious to see how it plays out/is FAQ'd: if Dengar is killed by a shot that would trigger his pilot ability, does he get to fire before he's removed? What if it happens at the PS 9 count, but before (or even after) he's taken his regular shot?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Gate posted:

Himself, with gunner. The classic method of dealing with Soontir/Whisper. Force them to either let 1 damage through, or try to dodge the full damage twice.

How likely do you think it is that Chopper would be getting shots on aces like that? Wouldn't they be arc dodging like mad?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Orvin posted:

Final round of the day was against a Whisper + Echo list, both with gunner, FCS, VI, and ACD.

Did he have a third ship or was it a 14 point initiative bid?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

The Gate posted:

Fat Dengar build?
-Predator
-Gunner
-Engine
-Glitterstim
-R5-P8??
-Title

Not as durable as a Fat Han, but even more mobile and can deal even more damage. R5-P8 because Imp Aces hate that, and so do regen aces really. No one enjoys taking free damage. Don't really see a need for Unhinged, but R4-B11 could be another option to screw with high defense ships with the gunner shot.

One question I'm curious to see how it plays out/is FAQ'd: if Dengar is killed by a shot that would trigger his pilot ability, does he get to fire before he's removed? What if it happens at the PS 9 count, but before (or even after) he's taken his regular shot?

For my money, if Dengar is killed by someone with equal PS he is either killed immediately, if he's already shot, or not killed if he hasn't. If not, then he gets to shoot then Simultaneous Fire as well.

Makes it an interesting question as to init, particularly against Phantoms since you really want to shoot first against them so you can counterfire before ACD goes off...

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Is Navigator going to be all that useful on such a low PS ship? On the other hand I'm now compelled to combine Navigator with Hera Syndulla. If you start on a red maneuver you can still use nearly half of the VCX-100 maneuver dial.

Probably not but I'm also not sure what else you could put on him. It would be helpful against swarms that have a support Ace with them; you're going to see where the low guys are and if the Ace stays near them you can block that Ace.

I want to get Ultra Dash to work with Jan Ors but the HWK is really bad for a 2-3 ship build.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

How likely do you think it is that Chopper would be getting shots on aces like that? Wouldn't they be arc dodging like mad?

With Zeb in play, it's possible by causing blocks and then shooting whatever poor chump ran into you. But in general, no, it's not easy. On the other hand, it also works well against even things like TIE Fighters, or any generic ship with 2-3 green dice. Sometimes your reds are gonna be bad, or they get a hot defense roll, and being able to just get a do over on the shot can be big. Plus, with 4 dice at range 3 in a large based ship, that's a wide enough arc and enough dice to still threaten aces if you have that second shot. Won't always happen, but you can set things up sometime, especially factoring whatever else you're running.

That said, I don't think I'd do gunner on a low PS ship that doesn't have a turret primary, myself. But I don't tend to run non-Dash pancakes.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

It's all theorycrafting, but I've really taken to wondering if beefing up Tel would be better than beefing up Dengar. Pair Tel with something really offensive and you leave the other guy with a really crappy choice on who to kill.

Maybe something like this?
[url]https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Scum%20and%20Villainy&d=v4!s!172:98,-1,-1,179,180,128:29:6:;134:-1,-1,21,174,133,128:-1:3:&sn=DoubleJump![/url]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

Did he have a third ship or was it a 14 point initiative bid?

Just the two ships with a huge initiative bid. He isn't a bad pilot, but I think he is kinda new to X-Wing.

• Locked thread