Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
One of those horse-betting arcade games but it's Steel Ball Run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
"I can't believe Diego turned his horse into a dinosaur again, this is BULLSHIT!"

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
"Eat poo poo, rear end in a top hat! Fall off your horse!"

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

RubberLuffy posted:

One of those horse-betting arcade games but it's Steel Ball Run.
Poco Loco is not in the game because he always wins.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Nahxela posted:

Poco Loco is not in the game because he always wins.

He's in 1.0 but always wins despite not being coded to. Removed in update 1.1

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

RubberLuffy posted:

He's in 1.0 but always wins despite not being coded to. Removed in update 1.1

Luckily the programmers forgot to hit enter so he's still in.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nintendogs featuring Iggy, Iwasuke and Danny.
Rated M for Mature

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

*yasuho to random passerby* hey do you know where i can find a sailor

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Nintendogs featuring Iggy, Iwasuke and Danny.
Rated M for Mature

Also Gappy

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

*yasuho to random passerby* hey do you know where i can find a sailor

She uses her stand to win all the forklift races.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Ace Attorney X JJBA

You go around proving JoJos didn't kill certain people, figuring out STANDS is vital for this and the final case is Joseph, who obviously did it, tricking Phoenix Wright into believing in his lying rear end.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

And then Gumshoe busts in with the vital piece of evidence and nails Joseph's lying rear end. :colbert:

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Mar 8, 2016

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Pretty sure the final boss in any Jojo/AA crossover would have to be Kira.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
Did anyone else get the feeling that Polnareff was suppoused to have a bigger role in Vento Aureo? I remember being convinced it was gonna lead up to Giorno learning about his father from him the first time reading through. Why else would Araki make him reappear? Then he gets chumped by Diavolo, his soul gets stuck in a turtle and he becomes Giorno's right-hand man between pages.

The final stretch of VA is really rushed, and I wonder if this was one of the things that was left out as a result. Wouldn't be the first time, but it's one of the few times I have been really frustrated with Araki seemingly forgetting or ignoring something he set up.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I went into VA knowing that the bad guy was named diavolo and that polnareff showed up again, but for whatever reason I thought that polnareff was gonna be the boss of the gang and that diavolo was the head of la squadra

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I definitely thought pol was going to have more to do, though he still does plenty. The pacing just goes from "fast" to "frantic" right when he shows up, so yeah I dunno what the plan was. Then suddenly everything slows back down with the epilogue; it's almost like he realized he needed to add something else at the last minute.

I think I saw a Vento update in my feed last night, I've been letting those stack up but ought to check it out.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

So what's the deal with the Viz release of phantom blood and battle tendency? Are those straight translations of the Jojonium volumes? Is it true they're not doing the ones for stardust crusaders?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Stairmaster posted:

So what's the deal with the Viz release of phantom blood and battle tendency? Are those straight translations of the Jojonium volumes? Is it true they're not doing the ones for stardust crusaders?

Pretty much, yeah. They're the only way to legally read PB and BT right now. The SC Jojoniums are in the air, who knows if they're going to bother since they already released SC in its entirety. Honestly, I'd rather see Viz put their efforts into releasing DiU than re-releaseing SC.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

The SC Jojoniums are in the air, who knows if they're going to bother since they already released SC in its entirety. .

That doesn't seem like an issue since they do omnibuses of dragon ball(along with other series) despite having all the volumes already available for sale.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?
Vento Aureo Chapter 504: Baby Face Part 5 just went online the other day, so check it out if you feel like it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
We will likely get the Part 3 Jojonium release eventually, but if I had to choose I'd want Part 4 in print first.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I definitely thought pol was going to have more to do, though he still does plenty. The pacing just goes from "fast" to "frantic" right when he shows up, so yeah I dunno what the plan was. Then suddenly everything slows back down with the epilogue; it's almost like he realized he needed to add something else at the last minute.

The Rolling Stone chapters does tie up VA thematically, but I wish there was some direct aknowledgment of Giorno's heritage, both to the Joestars and Brando. Polnareff could have least tied up some loose threads, instead of disappearing behind the scenes once Diavolo was defeated.

I guess it was aknowledged in the sense that Giorno has the same origin as Dio, but didn't turn into an evil shitheel, instead becoming his own person that has the best qualities of both the Jojos and Dio. VA still feels disconnected from the rest of Jojo though. Involving Polnareff earlier would at least open up the possibility that past events would be touched upon.

Even though I like VA, it seems like the part with the most wasted potential.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've come to enjoy VA a lot more over time and I really do appreciate that neither Dio nor the Joestars really play any factor in Giorno outside of genetics and some allusions in character growth. If anything the biggest problem with VA is it has a really weak villain who has a cool stand power that never feels like it's implemented in an interesting way, in fact VA comes down to solving a lot of problems with stupidly strong powers that no one could realistically beat and leaving it up to the main character(s) rather than having the rest of the team join in as well. You can compare Part 3 and Part 5 in a lot of ways, but one of the reasons Part 3's finale works so well is every single character contributes in some way to Dio's downfall, it just comes down to the main character to put all the pieces together. You could even compare Jotaro and Giorno a lot too, it's p cool and could help you appreciate VA more if you don't at first notice the similarities due to how lovely the translation is.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That being said I hope they recast Giorno and Bruno when the anime rolls around because Namikawa and Sugiyama loving suck, especially when you compare them to the Part 5 game voice actors. I don't even like Romi Park and her Mudas and Wry are infinitely better than Namikawa's pissy battle cries.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Baal posted:

That being said I hope they recast Giorno and Bruno when the anime rolls around because Namikawa and Sugiyama loving suck, especially when you compare them to the Part 5 game voice actors. I don't even like Romi Park and her Mudas and Wry are infinitely better than Namikawa's pissy battle cries.

Bruno's ari ari sounds great though

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He sounds like Sugiyama. Like literally every shonen character Sugiyama voices, Bruno sounds just like that. The Part 5 had more class in general and his Arrivaderci sounded stylish as hell compared to Sugiyama's which is no different from Sasuke in Naruto calling out his attacks.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Ah, yes, the chapter in which Gio replaces his eye with a loving bug button.

thank you

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Baal posted:

I've come to enjoy VA a lot more over time and I really do appreciate that neither Dio nor the Joestars really play any factor in Giorno outside of genetics and some allusions in character growth. If anything the biggest problem with VA is it has a really weak villain who has a cool stand power that never feels like it's implemented in an interesting way, in fact VA comes down to solving a lot of problems with stupidly strong powers that no one could realistically beat and leaving it up to the main character(s) rather than having the rest of the team join in as well. You can compare Part 3 and Part 5 in a lot of ways, but one of the reasons Part 3's finale works so well is every single character contributes in some way to Dio's downfall, it just comes down to the main character to put all the pieces together. You could even compare Jotaro and Giorno a lot too, it's p cool and could help you appreciate VA more if you don't at first notice the similarities due to how lovely the translation is.

This is especially relevant in the light of Purple Haze being written out purely on the basis of 'this Stand is too strong' - I don't know if that's the true reason he was written out but I remember reading that once so correct me if I'm wrong-; a lot of it is that outside of like Sticky Fingers a lot of the ally stands are very specific in their uses while Gold Experience is an incredibly powerful and broad Stand.

It'd be a bit like if Jotaro started Part 3 with Time Stop instead of getting it at the end.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Stallion Cabana posted:

This is especially relevant in the light of Purple Haze being written out purely on the basis of 'this Stand is too strong' - I don't know if that's the true reason he was written out but I remember reading that once so correct me if I'm wrong-; a lot of it is that outside of like Sticky Fingers a lot of the ally stands are very specific in their uses while Gold Experience is an incredibly powerful and broad Stand.

It'd be a bit like if Jotaro started Part 3 with Time Stop instead of getting it at the end.

Well Jotaro did straight up have time stop all the time in part 4

Anyway, I don't believe that Araki would've written off Fugo for Purple Haze being too op when it honestly doesn't seem that way to me at all. Maybe really hard to write fights around but not significantly overpowered. Like, to me it feels like Purple Haze was designed to be just as much of a threat to its allies as to its enemies, which is a cool idea but it doesn't make it seem like it'd be too useful in a fight when Fugo can barely control it. Purple Haze would probably make a decent antagonist stand but for a jojo protagonist who has to outwit the enemy and use their stand in unique and interesting ways it doesn't feel like Purple Haze has many different ways it can be used other than Fugo sending it out and hoping it punches the other guy.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I thought the Araki Said™ on Fugo also included a bit about how he was going to become an antagonist eventually but didn't [because it would have been too awful to have him turn against them? I don't know].

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

It's a while since I've read (so-so translated) Part 5, but I'd be disappointed to learn that's the reason they wrote Fugo out.

Based on my recollection there's a lot of potential tension to be mind from having a stand that could defeat an opponent quite easily but having to wait for an opening where you wouldn't also hurt yourself/ the rest of the team.

(e: beaten by Araki-Said™)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The real problem with Purple Haze is that Giorno's vaccine snake makes its drawback mostly irrelevant.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?
Apparently, in an interview for the guidebook for the Vento Aureo PS2 game, Araki says that Fugo's stand was the hardest for him to write about. I don't own that so I can't check for myself, though.
As for the reasons for Fugo leaving, I believe the most in-depth explanation Araki's written about would be the afterword of Volume 39 of the 2005 Shueisha Bunko edition. Thankfully, I found the text online, so here's a quick and messy translation:

In Parte 5, Vento Aureo, there was a segment that I was forced to cut. Or, rather, it was an episode that I was unable to draw. It was a plot point where either Mista, Narancia, Fugo, or Abbacchio would turn out to be a spy for The Boss, and they would betray Giorno and Buccellati. I tried to write the story thinking that Fugo would be the traitor, but I was completely unable to do so. It felt like the gloomy mood I was in at the time was turning my story gloomy too, and reluctance started to sprout up within me. And, when I thought about how Buccellati would react, I just felt so, so terrible for him. I was unable to comprehend the idea of being betrayed by a trusted ally, and it made me physically ill. You could tell off for not having courage as an author, but I just couldn't bring myself to draw it! And, it Giorno probably would have ended up shouldering the responsibility by executing Fugo. I thought that the young boys and girls reading my comic wouldn't take it well. So, Fugo parted with the team during the scene at the docks on San Giorgio Maggiore. I made him disappear. (Afterwards, in the novelization of Vento Aureo, I worked with the authors to write a side-story where Fugo secretly helps out from within the gang.) Finally, as the author, allow me to say one thing to the characters. "I'm truly thankful to you all. You are the golden wind that blows in hard times."

Daxing Dan fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 9, 2016

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Araki also said that it can be assumed that Fugo wears a thong cause he's sure as hell not wearing underwear thanks to his suit that lets you see it all.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Moltrey posted:

Araki also said that it can be assumed that Fugo wears a thong cause he's sure as hell not wearing underwear thanks to his suit that lets you see it all.

There are many reasons why I appreciate Fugo but I'd be lying if I said his fashion choices didn't factor in at least a little

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I started reading Purple Haze Feedback and Polnareff is Giorno's right hand man? Lmao

I'm just imagining Giorno getting Polnareff's consultation on doing something and it's the funniest poo poo ever.

"Hmmm this could be a rough job. Polnareff what is your opinion."
*one of the dudes in the suits holds up Polnareff as he readjusts the upper half of his body and looks at Giorno thoughtfully*
"I'm in a loving turtle, kid."
"I see."

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The only scene I remember from Purple Haze Feedback is super early on when Mista and Fugo meet for the first time Fugo since left in Vento Aureo in the football stadium, but I remember it being sick as hell.

PHF also starts off with a Rage Against The Machine quote so it's pretty alright.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I hope Purple Haze Feedback gets an OVA or something eventually.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Purple Haze Feedback has some cool discussion about Stands and some interesting stand abilities so it's pretty good imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Is PHF the one with All Along the Watchtower? Little card spies was a pretty neat idea.