Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Amergin posted:

You still think facts matter in campaigns and debates?

To democrats and independents yes, which is where you think the support for Cruz will come from.

It's been a long standing reality that republicans don't give a poo poo about facts though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The saddest part was definitely when conservatives kept dragging vilerat's mom into the national spotlight

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I'm expecting to see her trotted out again once Hillary is the lock.

socialsecurity posted:

What part of her Senate Career or time as Secretary of State lead you to believe she wouldn't be a good president? I support Bernie over her and all but pretending she isn't qualified or that she is somehow equal to Trump is delusional, this isn't "impotent rage" I'm literally just curious as to what facts/events lead to these conclusions.

It does continue to be sad and depressing how many times I see attacks that originated from the right be treated as accurate and used against her by liberals.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 8, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MattD1zzl3 posted:

She's the democratic trump if you asked me. When someone says "She can take on the republicans" all i hear is "He tells it like it is", or when someone says "First woman president!" all i hear is "Successful businessman". People are riding her coattails because she's winning for no real reason, and defending her against every little slight with impotent rage. I've never missed a chance to vote for liberal policies since i turned 18, even the "unimportant" little local elections, but i really dont like her for president any more then i do trump. It makes me wish there was 17 democratic candidates running and she could have been squeezed out of politics by now.

The reason why she's winning is that she's very good at what she does. You could not withstand the utter napalming the GOP has thrown at her for the past 25 years and still be a contender for President if you weren't good at it.

Like poo poo, Bernie's getting flustered because Hillary said she's the only one to vote for the Auto Bailout. That's something that's technically true, if not entirely accurate to Bernie's motivations. Now imagine Bernie putting up with 25 years of utter lies, from people who demonstrably hate you. I don't think he could do it.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 8, 2016

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

sudo rm -rf posted:

use this map

http://www.270towin.com/maps/59XKg

contains a spectrum of battleground states with nevada on the blue end and north carolina on the red.

http://www.270towin.com/maps/576dZ

Chaos reigns.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The saddest part was definitely when conservatives kept dragging vilerat's mom into the national spotlight

Don't worry, if/when Clinton gets the nomination it's pretty much guaranteed she'll be brought out a few more times. :smith:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

She's the democratic trump if you asked me. When someone says "She can take on the republicans" all i hear is "He tells it like it is", or when someone says "First woman president!" all i hear is "Successful businessman". People are riding her coattails because she's winning for no real reason, and defending her against every little slight with impotent rage. I've never missed a chance to vote for liberal policies since i turned 18, even the "unimportant" little local elections, but i really dont like her for president any more then i do trump. It makes me wish there was 17 democratic candidates running and she could have been squeezed out of politics by now.

This really isn't the place for primary slapfights, but :lol: at the idea that Hillary is a Democrat Donald Trump. It ignores so much context as to be laughable. She's winning because she's provided the better message to a majority of democratic voters. She has served as Secretary of State (one of the most senior positions in the Executive branch), Senator for 8 years (winning an election in a state she'd never lived in!), and for eight years, was one of the most policy engaged first ladies in since Eleanor Roosevelt. Before that she spent years working on liberal causes like justice reform and education. She is perhaps most responsible for the CHIPS program that ensures millions of kids have affordable, quality healthcare.

So yeah, if you think people react to your statement incredulously, there's good reason for it.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Lord have mercy

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

The reason why she's winning is that she's very good at what she does. You could not withstand the utter napalming the GOP has thrown at her for the past 25 years and still be a contender for President if you weren't good at it.

Yeah this.

She's been campaigning to be president as long or longer than most goons have been alive and throughout that time republicans have treated her and her family far worse on their best day than how they've treated obama on their worst.

You don't survive for that long under the media spotlight without being stupidly good, and she was only denied the presidency by a once in a lifetime politician in 08.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

A Winner is Jew posted:

To democrats and independents yes, which is where you think the support for Cruz will come from.

It's been a long standing reality that republicans don't give a poo poo about facts though.

Or the fact that Bernie's math doesn't add up, or the fact that Hillary blames Snowden for not trying to go through "whistleblower channels" (which he did, and was denied like most whistleblowers), or the fact that both are staunchly pro-Israel and overlook Israel's human-rights abuses, or...

EDIT: I mean if you think the Democratic party is "the party of facts" then you need to talk to more Bernouts.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Well if she's the Democratic Trump then she'd still be the likely nom despite a big field wouldn't she?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

computer parts posted:

But we have critical thinking skills, and can take in information from many sources we know to be biased and draw our own conclusions. I dont think she killed a white house spokesman or was involved in illegal land trading, but i do think she's an ambitious douchenozzle who will point wherever the political winds tell her to go, and that hasnt traditionally been in a high tax, big government direction. If you care to convince me otherwise, start by pointing at policy positions she took that made her politically unpopular, rather than being a part of (by marrage) an elected democratic administration.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Boon posted:

drat McAlister, that was an effort. What open criticism has Bernie faced on his plan?

The only mainstream criticism I've seen is pundits analyzing the funding proposals and saying that his proposed revenue streams fall well short of targets such that the payroll taxes needed for it would have to be significantly higher than he stated. Also some people argue that the employer part of the payroll tax will "come out of the employees pocket" so that the 6.7% they pay should be added to the 2.2% the employees pay. I find that assertion to unprovable to use as it lets people argue it rather than address substantive points.

Chelsea and Hillary have also said on the campaign trail that it kills programs that work that the left fought long, hard, bloody, fights for when what we should be doing is expanding and improving on our successes. They can't get into details in the campaign format and have declined to go negative anyway so they have stuck mostly to process arguments over pointing out specific flaws with the law. Though Chelsea got her head ripped off in the media for saying his proposals gave to much control to state governors who couldn't be trusted to care about their people - see Medicaid expansion rejection. A criticism I agree with.

The Bernie supporter response to these two things has been to insist that the money you save on insurance will more than pay for the increased taxes and to chastise the Clintons for "going negative".

I haven't seen anyone really dig into the meat of the laws provisions. I'm sure the Clintons have but a lot of the legit criticisms of Berniecare echo invalid criticisms of Obamacare and I'm suspect they don't want to be quoted out of context in a way that attacks the ACA which rather hamstrings them.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

But we have critical thinking skills, and can take in information from many sources we know to be biased and draw our own conclusions. I dont think she killed a white house spokesperson or was involved in illegal land trading, but i do think she's an ambitious douchenozzle who will point wherever the political winds tell her to go. If you care to convince me otherwise, start by pointing at policy positions she took that made her politically unpopular, rather than being a part of (by marrage) an elected democratic administration.

Hillarycare was a loving disaster for the Clintons. You're using such a dumb filter for how to judge her (that you're clearly not using for other politicians) too.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 8, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

showbiz_liz posted:

Lord have mercy

In a 4-4 decision, the Supreme Court awards the election win to Donald Trump, who then immediately starts his thousand year reign of blood and fire. :kheldragar:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Amergin posted:

Or the fact that Bernie's math doesn't add up, or the fact that Hillary blames Snowden for not trying to go through "whistleblower channels" (which he did, and was denied, like most whistleblowers), or the fact that both are staunchly pro-Israel and overlook Israel's human-rights abuses, or...

Israel?

Are you loving serious?

Name one loving republican running for the presidency that won't tongue netanyahu's taint on demand. Or won't be ordering our own troops to commit the same exact same human rights abuses or even outright war crimes. Or one that won't feed Snowden to loving Guantanamo and forget the key.

This is low energy concern trolling and anyone with half a brain can see right through it.

Amergin posted:

EDIT: I mean if you think the Democratic party is "the party of facts" then you need to talk to more Bernouts.

Fact: Global warming is real
Fact: Deregulation is bad for the middle class
Fact: Comprehensive sex ed reduces the need for abortion
Fact: Republicans are against all three of those
Fact: Ted Cruz is the Zodiac Killer

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yes, how dare the democrats exploit the death of an ambassador and his staff for political gain.

I was at the point where I didn't really give a poo poo about who won in 2012 amid growing apathy after Obama's first term. That loving smirk mittens had on his face as he walked away from that podium completely changed that.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Hello darkness my old friend

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

socialsecurity posted:

What part of her Senate Career or time as Secretary of State lead you to believe she wouldn't be a good president?

I am not wanting to start a Hillary/Bernie slapfight, I am just answering this specific question. The big one that sticks out is her choice to vote to give Bush authorization to enact regime change in Iraq based on the flimsiest evidence imaginable. She's on record stating that she firmly believed the vote was absolutely the right choice and that the war was justified. Given that Iraq was the biggest foreign policy disaster in our lifetimes and possibly US history, this is a huge mark on her credibility as a potential Commander in Chief. I'm happy to debate this specific point without having it spiral into a "Hillary sucks! No YOU suck!" type of derail.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Unzip and Attack posted:

I am not wanting to start a Hillary/Bernie slapfight, I am just answering this specific question. The big one that sticks out is her choice to vote to give Bush authorization to enact regime change in Iraq based on the flimsiest evidence imaginable. She's on record stating that she firmly believed the vote was absolutely the right choice and that the war was justified. Given that Iraq was the biggest foreign policy disaster in our lifetimes and possibly US history, this is a huge mark on her credibility as a potential Commander in Chief. I'm happy to debate this specific point without having it spiral into a "Hillary sucks! No YOU suck!" type of derail.

Not defending anyone who voted for the Iraq war obviously, but weren't the "facts" that the Bush administration presented to the senate mostly bullshit and they were voting on those?

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Grundulum posted:

Thank you for this metaphor. I have stolen it for my own nefarious purposes.

Edit: on the topic of FPTP voting, one alternative is preferential voting (all voters rank at least one candidate; if nobody wins outright people who voted for the last place candidate have their votes transferred to next highest choice; if nobody wins outright...). The Wikipedia page says that "this system fails the monotonicity criterion, where ranking a candidate higher can lessen the chances he or she will be elected." Can someone come up with a small example of this? The examples given on the Wikipedia page did not make it clear why ranking a candidate higher would have/did hurt that candidate.

All I have to offer is that "The Monotonicity Criterion" needs to be the title of a tense espionage thriller.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Unzip and Attack posted:

It was also a mistake that virtually the rest of the nation fell for, to be entirely fair. She was also the Senator for New York. I feel like Bernie's response on guns control is at least telling in how he might have voted if he were the Senator for NY. Most of the Anti-War folks had the luxury of not having to actually take that vote. It's again, one of those things we can judge in hindsight that wasn't as easy as it's made out to be in retrospect. Particularly when this criticism is often lobbed from people who were like 5 when that happened.

To be more clear, for me, a vote for Iraq War isn't a disqualifier. It was a mistake. People make mistakes and the best people admit they made them and learn from them.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Not defending anyone who voted for the Iraq war obviously, but weren't the "facts" that the Bush administration presented to the senate mostly bullshit and they were voting on those?

Yeah, the people who claim it was so easy to see the deception aren't really being honest. It wasn't.

I say all of this as someone who did not support the Iraq War from Day 1.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 8, 2016

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

A Winner is Jew posted:

That argument can be made, but there were plenty of people who questioned it at the time or thought that the move toward war was far too hasty. It's not like everyone was fooled- but Clinton was among those who were either too trusting of the administration, too lazy to look into it themselves, or unwilling to risk losing face by opposing a popular call to arms. Each of those are horrible for different reasons.

I mean I know Lincoln Chafee gets laughed at a lot but you should read his account of the intel as it was relayed to him. It was an absolute joke.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Why must you dangle this in front of us

(In case you don't remember your 12th Amendment, in the event of an Electoral College tie, the House votes for the President and the Senate votes for the Vice-President in December! :toot:)

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Unzip and Attack posted:

That argument can be made, but there were plenty of people who questioned it at the time or thought that the move toward war was far too hasty. It's not like everyone was fooled- but Clinton was among those who were either too trusting of the administration, too lazy to look into it themselves, or unwilling to risk losing face by opposing a popular call to arms. Each of those are horrible for different reasons.

I mean I know Lincoln Chafee gets laughed at a lot but you should read his account of the intel as it was relayed to him. It was an absolute joke.

I bolded the silliest thing here: that's not really how intelligence works. Again, most of the people who were claiming it weren't really basing it off anything either, a lot of them were just anti-War to begin with. The fact was that, again, it was a mistake but people make mistakes, and Senators often have to vote for poo poo they don't particularly like.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The reasoning for the Iraq war was obvious bullshit from the start what are you talking about.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

The reasoning for the Iraq war was obvious bullshit from the start what are you talking about.

This is almost entirely hindsight bullshit thinking.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Wasn't Vilerat specifically not on speaking terms with his mom because of the crazy poo poo she would constantly spout?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

DeathSandwich posted:

Wasn't Vilerat specifically not on speaking terms with his mom because of the crazy poo poo she would constantly spout?

As I understand it, yep.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

DeathSandwich posted:

I don't remember, but Vilerat routinely posted vile racists bullshit.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I bolded the silliest thing here: that's not really how intelligence works.

You're going to need to expound on this. I don't mean that the intel agencies were lazy - I mean that people in Congress who actually cared enough about the issue to really dig into the findings were quite outspoken about the flaws in W's case. There is a great video of a journalist, I forget who, absolutely grilling Rumsfeld about the complete lack of a connection between al qaeda and Saddam. We're a nation big enough that we don't need to settle for "oh well most people fell for it she gets a pass".

It wasn't just "a mistake". "A mistake" is when I put the wrong sock pair on or misspell something. A million people died.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

A Winner is Jew posted:

I could tell they were bullshit lies at the time, why couldnt she? I was in massive anti-war protests, why wasnt she? Its not a case of "hindsight is 20-20", its "This woman clearly cant be trusted with important decisions". I know she apologized, i forgive her as a person if she's genuinely sorry, but you cant wipe stains like that off your record as a public servant, and that is just the most well known error.

She was the most liberal "member" of the clinton administration, which still makes her basically a republican. This is the era of liberalism where we accepted that "liberal" was an insult and went back to saying "progressive", and we kept taxes reagen low and government spending even lower. The post-carter rightward shift in american politics isnt the fault of right-wing politicians, its the fault of the weak liberals from the late 70s to today. (Who have been promply been shouted out of the party and now an identity politics monster is wearing them as a buffalo bill skin-suit.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 8, 2016

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

This is almost entirely hindsight bullshit thinking.

Oh yeah Saddam really could have posed a threat/had nukes/ launched an attack on the UK within 45 min.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Unzip and Attack posted:

You're going to need to expound on this. I don't mean that the intel agencies were lazy - I mean that people in Congress who actually cared enough about the issue to really dig into the findings were quite outspoken about the flaws in W's case. There is a great video of a journalist, I forget who, absolutely grilling Rumsfeld about the complete lack of a connection between al qaeda and Saddam. We're a nation big enough that we don't need to settle for "oh well most people fell for it she gets a pass".

It wasn't just "a mistake". "A mistake" is when I put the wrong sock pair on or misspell something. A million people died.

Now you're being hyperbolic.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I could tell they were bullshit lies at the time, why couldnt she? I was in massive anti-war protests, why wasnt she? Its not a case of "hindsight is 20-20", its "This woman clearly cant be trusted with important decisions".

What were your opinions of the Afghanistan invasion at the time?

Not relative to Iraq, just in general.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

I would like to find the land of unicorn presidential candidates that have never been on the wrong side of an issue.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Unzip and Attack posted:

Again not defending it, but IIRC it wasn't just the administration but pretty much every intelligence agency outside of the CIA which had just spectacularly fail 2 years before because Bush appointed yes men to those positions and made sure there was as a united front as possible when he made the case.

I mean yeah, that was a monumental gently caress-up and one that she has said countless times was the biggest mistake she ever made, but to me that means she'll want to avoid getting involved militarily to make sure she doesn't gently caress up again like that.

Not only that, but probably the greatest domestic policy president since Lincoln was LBJ who had a rather infamous foreign policy gently caress up... and if we get even 1/2 of LBJ's domestic policy from Clinton I'll be happy.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The bigger, better news for Dems is that if Cruz or Trump are the nominee, it greatly imperils the Republican control of the Senate. They already had 5 very difficult re-elects (Mark Kirk, Kelly Ayotte, Pat Toomey, Rob Portman and Ron Johnson) but also have an open seat to defend in Florida, and four or five other contests that could now be in play.

That would mean Hillary getting to nominate Scalia's replacement /with/ a Democrat controlled Senate.

In the case of Ron Johnson, that fucker is definitely losing to Russ Feingold and WI will be sending two D Senators once again.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Gonzo McFee posted:

yeah seriously. there are democrats in this thread that bought into the iraq war?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

lizardman posted:

All I have to offer is that "The Monotonicity Criterion" needs to be the title of a tense espionage thriller.

Off-topic, but uh... What did you do to get that red title? :stare:

• Locked thread