Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The Galaxy S7 / S7 Edge review embargo has dropped.

WSJ
The Verge
The Verge (Mossberg)
Mashable
Engadget
Gizmodo
Android Central (S7)
Android Central (S7 Edge)
Android Central (S7 Edge Canadian version with Exynos processor instead of Qualcomm)
WIRED
Techradar
PC Magazine
USA Today

And of course:
Anandtech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

quote:

With the Galaxy S7, performance has improved noticeably, but it’s really hard for me to say whether this is because Samsung has improved their codebase, or if a faster SoC is just making it harder to notice areas in need of optimization. At any rate, while the Galaxy S7 isn’t perfectly smooth - dropping frames now and then - it is sufficiently performant that you’re not going to find distracting lag.

Not the sort of thing you want to read about the top of the line phone.

But Touchwiz is just fine now!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Endless Mike posted:

Not the sort of thing you want to read about the top of the line phone.

But Touchwiz is just fine now!

To be fair, you could probably say that about all of the top-end Android phones, TouchWiz or not.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/03/07/things-i-hate-about-the-galaxy-s7/

These are the things right here that would keep me from buying the phone (though some can be resolved using the Google Now launcher.)

No choice for "just once" for intents is especially egregious and would drive me nuts.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

bull3964 posted:

No choice for "just once" for intents is especially egregious and would drive me nuts.

That's the only unfixable thing on that list that I think will bug me, and I will probably forget about it after the first week.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Dude with an unfortunate face doing autofocus test with the S7 camera vs Canon 70D DSLR: http://phandroid.com/2016/03/07/galaxy-s7-dual-pixel-autofocus-test/

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

bull3964 posted:

These are the things right here that would keep me from buying the phone (though some can be resolved using the Google Now launcher.)

Yeah this is easily the worst part of TW, actually, since you can't change it. I don't notice it that often but when it does bite you in the rear end it is a huge pain to go into the default applications menu and clean up the mess.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

bull3964 posted:

Also his complaint about the LED not obeying DND mode is a Android thing, I think. The same thing occurs on the Nexus 5x.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

bull3964 posted:

I use the "always on" type thing that Motorola uses all the time and the fact that you have to use Samsung's apps in order to see them is a dealbreaker for me. The other things mentioned on this list are why I'm just not even going to bother. I'm just going to wait and see what pops up later this year or just go with the droid turbo. I really hope other manufacturers copy the smaller form factor but other than that there doesn't seem to be anything that special about the S7 that makes me forget it's a Samsung phone.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

bull3964 posted:

Complete deal breaker.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

bull3964 posted:

The only two from the list that bother me are #6 (no "just once" app association choice) and #8 (crazy bright LED even during do not disturb - so I just end up disabling the notification LED).

I would add to the list:

* Transitions are just slightly longer than I would like. I went into debug options and set them to run at double speed, now they are nice.
* Samsung screwed with the battery use details in Settings. It's much worse now. Why, Samsung?

I should say though overall the phone is excellent and I am very pleased with it. The screen and camera are both mind-blowing amazing crazygood.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Holy poo poo their site is unusable on mobile. How ironic.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

Years ago there was a service that app makers started using that did push notifications showing advertising. The uproar here was tremendous even though there were relatively easy ways to disable them.

And Android's made it much easier to stop that sort of thing now. In practice it's pretty trivial, but it's the sort of thing that bothers me on principle enough that I'd generally not want to use that company's product. I feel it's a little more egregious considering the price of a phone, but if it doesn't bother someone, then oh well.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

sleepwalkers posted:

And Android's made it much easier to stop that sort of thing now. In practice it's pretty trivial, but it's the sort of thing that bothers me on principle enough that I'd generally not want to use that company's product. I feel it's a little more egregious considering the price of a phone, but if it doesn't bother someone, then oh well.

Yeah, I feel the same. I'm not buying some Xiaomi $150 phone, where I can understand their desire to recoup costs through pushed ads, but if I'm gonna pay extra for a flagship phone because I feel the tech is worth it, I would expect the company to manage its finances well enough where such practices are not even considered for that phone. It's not about becoming "infuriated" about it, it's about the value I expect for what I pay for.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

hooah posted:

Holy poo poo their site is unusable on mobile. How ironic.

Works on my machine

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Thanks for these!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Butt Savage posted:

Yeah, I feel the same. I'm not buying some Xiaomi $150 phone, where I can understand their desire to recoup costs through pushed ads, but if I'm gonna pay extra for a flagship phone because I feel the tech is worth it, I would expect the company to manage its finances well enough where such practices are not even considered for that phone. It's not about becoming "infuriated" about it, it's about the value I expect for what I pay for.

That's the thing though, no one makes enough money selling Android handsets not to partake in these practices, Samsung included. It's kind of like how every Windows PC manufacturer takes the Intel Inside sticker to subsidize their manufacturing costs because every single one of them can't afford to give up even a penny in margins on a commodity device.

Just like if you want a Windows PC not filled with shovelware and in some cases malware that exists only to subsidize the device you have to go to the Microsoft store, if you want that experience on Android you have to go to the Google store. Everyone else needs that subsidy too badly to care about the customer experience.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I know this has been covered before, but I cannot keep up with the fast pace of this thread.

Where is the best place to sell a used phone? Looking to dump my Verizon Galaxy S6 soon.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

I preordered a silver S7 Edge with ATT on the 2nd. Kept checking order status and it never changed from In Progress. Didn't see a charge on my card from ATT either so I called in. After calling ATT, ATT Premier and then ATT eCom. First two just forwarded me on after asking some questions. Finally get to eCom and apparently my order was canceled on the day I placed it for no reason. Still showed in my account as In Progress. So I had to re-place my order and went with the gold color instead because the other two are now backordered to like 2 weeks after release.

Thanks a lot ATT you fucks.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

If it wasn't easy to disable, that'd be a whole other thing to get irritated over.

I feel like saying it's easy to disable misses the point over why it should be irritating.

It's really a silly thing to get really irritated over though. I mean its advertising for Samsung's own apps on a Samsung phone that you can disable in settings. It's not like it's advertisements to vote for trump or predictive advertising for products.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

vyst posted:

It's really a silly thing to get really irritated over though. I mean its advertising for Samsung's own apps on a Samsung phone that you can disable in settings. It's not like it's advertisements to vote for trump or predictive advertising for products.

The content of the ads isn't the thing to get irritated about, it's the mindset of a company that thinks it's a good idea.

I mean, yes, it's probably a good idea for them because most people don't give a poo poo, but it also means that the company's goals are not aligned with mine to a greater degree than I would like. It's the same thing with toggles in the notification area and a bunch of other stuff that TW does...it's not that they're terribad offenses against mankind, it's that they all add up in ways that demonstrate Samsung's goals, motivations and ideas diverge from mine...and in a lot of instances in ways that are not just subjective. Just ask developers targeting Samsung devices about the "funny" ways Samsung deviates from the standard Android APIs because it seems like they just don't care.

Which isn't to say you shouldn't buy the phone if the way it meets your needs outweighs these facts...after all, they don't add up to much irritation for the user at all.

edit: Also, this isn't really exclusive to Samsung.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

That's the thing though, no one makes enough money selling Android handsets not to partake in these practices, Samsung included. It's kind of like how every Windows PC manufacturer takes the Intel Inside sticker to subsidize their manufacturing costs because every single one of them can't afford to give up even a penny in margins on a commodity device.

Just like if you want a Windows PC not filled with shovelware and in some cases malware that exists only to subsidize the device you have to go to the Microsoft store, if you want that experience on Android you have to go to the Google store. Everyone else needs that subsidy too badly to care about the customer experience.

Not wanting to sound all gotcha or smug or anything; but if Samsung can't sell a given device at a given price point it's their problem, and not mine the consumer. So even if I paid the RRP for the hardware - transaction complete! - my phone's now farting ads at me because that wasn't enough somehow? Yeah you can turn them off, but hold on let's think about why they think it's acceptable and necessary to start farting ads at me.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Moey posted:

I know this has been covered before, but I cannot keep up with the fast pace of this thread.

Where is the best place to sell a used phone? Looking to dump my Verizon Galaxy S6 soon.

Amazon or Craigslist if you want the most money at the expense of time/meeting shady people

Swappa if you want ease of use and piece of mind

Ebay if you don't mind fees up the rear end

Glyde/Gazelle/etc if you want a no-fuss solution and want next to nothing

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Lblitzer posted:

Amazon or Craigslist if you want the most money at the expense of time/meeting shady people

Swappa if you want ease of use and piece of mind

Ebay if you don't mind fees up the rear end

Glyde/Gazelle/etc if you want a no-fuss solution and want next to nothing

Thanks!

Edit: Verizon 4g LTE phones are all unlocked, correct? I just need to prove a clean ESN?

Moey fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 8, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They're all unlocked, but whether they'll fully work on AT&T or T-Mobile will depend on the phone.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Endless Mike posted:

They're all unlocked, but whether they'll fully work on AT&T or T-Mobile will depend on the phone.

Thanks, I'll let the buyer figure out the bands.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

bull3964 posted:

If you had to pick a manufacturer that would guarantee me not buying the next Nexus phone, it would be HTC.

HTC signs deal to be Google’s Nexus OEM for the next three years

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

ten_twentyfour posted:

I preordered a silver S7 Edge with ATT on the 2nd. Kept checking order status and it never changed from In Progress. Didn't see a charge on my card from ATT either so I called in. After calling ATT, ATT Premier and then ATT eCom. First two just forwarded me on after asking some questions. Finally get to eCom and apparently my order was canceled on the day I placed it for no reason. Still showed in my account as In Progress. So I had to re-place my order and went with the gold color instead because the other two are now backordered to like 2 weeks after release.

Thanks a lot ATT you fucks.

Thermopyle posted:

The content of the ads isn't the thing to get irritated about, it's the mindset of a company that thinks it's a good idea.

AT&T's Galaxy S7 is heavily loaded with bloatware and has a DirecTV ad as part of the notification shade

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nice of Google to bail out HTC.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

There's gotta be a way to disable that....

Canadian carrier versions of the S7 seem to be mostly bloatware free other than the typical "my account" apps which can be uninstalled if desired.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

There is, you can click the cog and disable it. Still lovely though.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Right now, I'm leaning back in my computer chair letting these huge tsunamis of vindication wash over me.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Why disable it instead of returning the phone and getting a new one? Why fund a company that thinks so little of you that they push you ads on the cellular telephone you paid 7 hundred dollars for?

What happened in your childhood that you think so little of your own time and labor?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

Canadian carrier versions of the S7 seem to be mostly bloatware free other than the typical "my account" apps which can be uninstalled if desired.

In the USA the T-Mobile version has no carrier logos and is also mostly bloatware free other than the typical "my account" apps which can be uninstalled if desired.

Verizon's is reportedly pretty bloated though. And AT&T... man, AT&T.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
You'd think that with Samsung's market share they could afford to tell the carriers to shove it when it comes to this shovelware. They follow Apple's lead on everything else, why not here?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

uninterrupted posted:

Why disable it instead of returning the phone and getting a new one? Why fund a company that thinks so little of you that they push you ads on the cellular telephone you paid 7 hundred dollars for?

What happened in your childhood that you think so little of your own time and labor?

Lmao this kind of hyperbole is awesome. Phones are loving serious man.

I'm on Knox at work so I'm making the best of my only device choice being Samsung. Much more fun being easygoing about it rather than bitching and whining.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lmao this kind of hyperbole is awesome. Phones are loving serious man.

I'm on Knox at work so I'm making the best of my only device choice being Samsung. Much more fun being easygoing about it rather than bitching and whining.

It's not about the phone. It's about self respect, and it's nontrivial.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Rastor posted:

In the USA the T-Mobile version has no carrier logos and is also mostly bloatware free other than the typical "my account" apps which can be uninstalled if desired.

Verizon's is reportedly pretty bloated though. And AT&T... man, AT&T.

All the Sprint version has is a few Sprint apps and you can only not uninstall two of them, and one of them is Sprint Zone which is the account app where you can pay your bills and such. No carrier logo, and a quick "LTE Plus" ad on bootup are pretty much the only things you'd ever have to deal with (well, other than TouchWiz).

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

nimper posted:

You'd think that with Samsung's market share they could afford to tell the carriers to shove it when it comes to this shovelware. They follow Apple's lead on everything else, why not here?

Because they don't care about the user.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Oh my

Samsung'd again