Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
What does action jrpg refer to besides action games with inconsequential rpg elements?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I personally enjoy a good WAJRPG (Wa-jer-puguh). Western Action RPG with Japanese influences.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Instant Sunrise posted:

i remember being kinda hype about watch underscore dogs after e3 2012 because that demo made it seem kinda cool, and because literally every other game shown at that keynote was a sequel or remake

too bad the final game wasn't like that demo
I remember thinking it looked bland and boring and being confused by people thinking it looked like anything more.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Great Joe posted:

I remember thinking it looked bland and boring and being confused by people thinking it looked like anything more.

Same here. The idea of a hacking game is cool, but I dunno why anybody would expect Ubisoft of all people to do it justice.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Okay I guess I would rather have rpg elements than action. Dragon Quest Heroes seems to be a straight up hack and slash. Doing some googling it looks like my best options are Disgaea 5, Persona 5, and FF remasters.

edit:

Broseph Brostar posted:

What does action jrpg refer to besides action games with inconsequential rpg elements?
Yeah that was a really poor word choice. I have never played a Persona game, but the impression that I have been given is that they have a huge amount of character/social gameplay content in addition to battles. That is the part I don't care about. So when I said "action" what I meant was "a game that is entirely battles/exploration" not "an action game".

Snak fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 8, 2016

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Digimon Cyber Sleuths is pretty good.

I just realized that title is a synonymous with Internet detective

E: have you considered playing Undertale :anime:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I have probably spent less than 10 seconds considering Undertale. I might check it out eventually I guess, but literally nothing about it appeals to me. It looks like a tribute to a bunch of games I never got to play and thus have no nostalgia for.

I'm shallowly looking for a modern refinement of the jrpg genre with nice smooth hd 3d anime graphics for my ps4 because I feel like there should be lots of those. It's a god damned playstation. It turns out most of the ones I want to play are on the loving Wii U.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

And the 3DS. :^)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah. I almost got excited about Bravely Second and looked it up :negative:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
The problem with Watch_Dogs is that Aiden is a violent, manipulative psychopath that ruins the lives of everyone around him. And the game both encourages and rewards his behaviour.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lady Naga posted:

The problem with Watch_Dogs is that Aiden is a violent, manipulative psychopath that ruins the lives of everyone around him. And the game both encourages and rewards his behaviour.

No, the problem with Watch_Dogs is that it sucks to play and looks significantly worse than previews.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also jesus christ a Wii U is still $350. What the gently caress. I mean, I guess it's a functioning console with a bunch of good games on it, but in my brain it's still just a lovely joke gimmick console.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Buy a 3DS. If you spend like 30 minutes on Craigslist you can probably find one for like $50 unless you live in the middle of nowhere.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
but I don't like portable gaming? I don't have a 40inch tv and a surround sound system so I can sit on my couch and play games on a screen smaller than my phone.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Snak posted:

Also jesus christ a Wii U is still $350. What the gently caress. I mean, I guess it's a functioning console with a bunch of good games on it, but in my brain it's still just a lovely joke gimmick console.

Wal-Mart has a Mario Maker bundle for $300
Best Buy does the Mario Kart 8 bundle for the same price

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Lurdiak posted:

No, the problem with Watch_Dogs is that it sucks to play and looks significantly worse than previews.

Actually a game that encourages lovely societal behaviour is far worse than one that simply "plays bad".

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

Actually a game that encourages lovely societal behaviour is far worse than one that simply "plays bad".

Anyone who takes tips on how to act in real life from a god drat video game is already hosed to begin with. Watch_Dogs isn't to blame for that.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
actually, it's bad for both reasons, and more

watch_dogs is a giant pile of things that got messed with a ton and nobody ever bothered to actually think about whether they worked or needed further changing so it's just a big mess of terrible gameplay and weird writing

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 8, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

FanaticalMilk posted:

Anyone who takes tips on how to act in real life from a god drat video game is already hosed to begin with. Watch_Dogs isn't to blame for that.

Media can subtly reinforce previously held belief systems in horrifically negative ways and it's a lot more insidious than "bad games make bad people" actually.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The stuff Platinum has showed of the new Star Fox looks good but I'm concerned that they aren't ripping off enough blockbuster films and anime to live up to SF64's legacy of having an entire level dedicated to copying the big scene from Independence Day and another where you fight Gundams with dog muzzles.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Aiden is a lovely guy who thinks he's a hero even though everyone in his life is telling him he's an rear end in a top hat thug. If the person playing can't see that Aiden is not supposed to be a role-model I think they're probably just pretty dumb?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Snak posted:

but I don't like portable gaming? I don't have a 40inch tv and a surround sound system so I can sit on my couch and play games on a screen smaller than my phone.

clearly what you need is a vita tv :rolleyes:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

PantsBandit posted:

Aiden is a lovely guy who thinks he's a hero even though everyone in his life is telling him he's an rear end in a top hat thug. If the person playing can't see that Aiden is not supposed to be a role-model I think they're probably just pretty dumb?

Except that people routinely contradict themselves to fawn over Aiden (see: him roughing up an underage girl only to have her go "nah it's totally fine you were just being careful) and Aiden gets everything he wants because of his actions. Even smaller actions like stealing from complete strangers constantly aren't reprimanded he's just allowed to keep doing lovely things and reap the rewards from it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

oddium posted:

i was really into hitman 2 so i was expecting something like that when asscreed came out and boy howdy. boy howdy

I have fond memories of hitman 2, but man that was really not a good game. the series didnt start to get good until contracts.

POSTMEN DO NOT CARRY GUNS

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Hitman 2 is neat because none of the enemies speak English and I thought it was cool that you had to rely on body language and social queues to understand what they're saying even if it's really simple and obvious stuff.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Yeah, WATCH_DOGS is clearly trying to portray Aiden as heroic. There's never a moment where the game displays even a hint of self-awareness.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Broseph Brostar posted:

Yeah this is a slow month for new releases but it gives you a chance to catch up on stuff from the holiday season

yeah, fire emblem is eating my time, and i want to start playing that good mech tatical rpg for the psx too

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lady Naga posted:

Except that people routinely contradict themselves to fawn over Aiden (see: him roughing up an underage girl only to have her go "nah it's totally fine you were just being careful) and Aiden gets everything he wants because of his actions. Even smaller actions like stealing from complete strangers constantly aren't reprimanded he's just allowed to keep doing lovely things and reap the rewards from it.

I don't know if this argument is better or worse than having to listen to computer janitors complain that the magic cellphone hacking was unrealistic.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Dr Cheeto posted:

Yeah, WATCH_DOGS is clearly trying to portray Aiden as heroic. There's never a moment where the game displays even a hint of self-awareness.

The game literally ends with him becoming Batman and people are still trying to convince themselves that he's some sort of intentional anti-hero we're supposed to hate.

Sleeveless posted:

I don't know if this argument is better or worse than having to listen to computer janitors complain that the magic cellphone hacking was unrealistic.

Better because discussing and analysing media and the messages it portrays is a worthwhile endeavour even if you're a pissy baby that can't handle it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lady Naga posted:

Media can subtly reinforce previously held belief systems in horrifically negative ways and it's a lot more insidious than "bad games make bad people" actually.

I can tell that I'm old now, because I'm starting to find it disgusting how much violence is portrayed as a solution in media. Like, it's always been the case that people told stories about heroes and villains. Knights and dragons. Christians versus heathens. This sort of thing is old as dirt. But the amount of media we consume has vastly increased. I've watched thousands of hours of television. The protagonists of these shows have repeatedly and consistantly found themselves in situations where killing the bad guy was necisarry. I've played thousands of hours of video games where violence wasn't presented as a choice but as the correct solution to a problem. It's something that my parents were critical of, and I never understood this when I was younger. But I'm starting to see it now, that even though watching television and playing video games hasn't made me a violent person, as a society we have been telling ourselves these stories about cops shooting people and vigilantes punching people with such frequency that it's just accepted without a second thought that violence is an acceptable method of conflict resolution.

Now, humanity has always been violent. But I feel like there used to be people who weren't really exposed to violence in a way that desensitized them. There were people who went their whole lives without seeing someone shot. Maybe they heard stories, or songs, or read dimestore books about cowboys or detectives. But now our 12 year olds have played a thousand hours of call of duty. You can't tell me there's no difference there.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

The game literally ends with him becoming Batman and people are still trying to convince themselves that he's some sort of intentional anti-hero we're supposed to hate.

I don't really care if it was intentional or not but, as a thinking human, I can clearly see that Aiden is a dickhead. So basically:

FanaticalMilk posted:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

PantsBandit posted:

I don't really care if it was intentional or not but, as a thinking human, I can clearly see that Aiden is a dickhead. So basically:

Lady Naga posted:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if watch_dogs really wanted to make it clear how much of an awful person aiden is, then it wouldn't follow up a cutscene where a bumbling, incompetent guy who's never really portrayed as the kind of person who ever even be able to hurt anyone is shown about to get brutally murdered directly because of your own actions with him giving you a phone call to say "hey man it's alright i'm not dead good luck avenging your niece"

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
WatchunderscoreDogs is one of the most painfully obvious examples of "media by committee" I've ever seen and it's really disgusting.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lady Naga posted:

Better because discussing and analysing media and the messages it portrays is a worthwhile endeavour even if you're a pissy baby that can't handle it.

Naga, please.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
more importantly, watchdogs sucks and is not fun

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Snak posted:

Try the refurbish store on Nintendo!

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

corn in the bible posted:

more importantly, watchdogs sucks and is not fun

Lady Naga posted:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Snak posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Super-Sma...&keywords=wii+u

This is a really good deal! I have both games!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/BatousaiJ/status/707297937995522048

• Locked thread