Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

fade5 posted:

Here's a decent way to understand how Graham works: Graham is hawkish as hell, but he's actually been over to Iraq/Iraqi Kurdistan a shitton of times. Graham also knows that the US would have to continually keep thousands of troops in Iraq for decades to keep the country stable. The key is, this is an acceptable option to Graham. A shitton of the US disagrees with this, but it's an option that's based in reality. It's just that the cost of doing that would be beyond prohibitively expensive in dollars, lives (both US and Iraqi), and political capital.

Ted Cruz talking about "precision carpet bombing" is decidedly in the fantasy realm. Graham knows that what that really means is carpet bombing civilians, which would make everyone in the region despise the US (even more than they already do) and thus it would be counterproductive to stabilizing Iraq.

Graham is based in reality. I disagree with how he wants to go about foreign policy, but I understand why he thinks the way he does.

I try to exclusively shitpost in this forum because I genuinely don't have a great sense of politics and when it comes down to it, I'm a straight-ticket Democratic voter so I treat the behavior of Republicans like a TV show, but I'm going to write a serious post so we'll see how that goes.

I do basically understand where Graham is coming from, to a point. His mindset seems to be extreme interventionism deriving from a genuine belief that America is the greatest nation on Earth and that it is a service to other countries to make them more like America (particularly what would be billed as "oppressive regimes"). He thinks that making other countries more like America is good for our nation's security and good for their development, a win-win. He believes the military, overall, does great things (although he acknowledges specific soldiers can do great evil). In this talk, he says "The antidote to extremism is enlightenment" and "Most people don't want what ISIL's selling; it's up to us to give them the capacity, if they have the will, to say no. [...] [ISIL leaders] are preying off poverty. [...] I've learned you cannot kill your way to peace. The only way you win this war is to empower others. And that we have to have an all-of-the-above approach. You've got to have security through military might, but to build the peace you've got to build up the lives of others." In this clip on FOX, he says "Giving a young women a choice about her children in the Mideast is the ultimate antidote to terrorism. That's how you win the war: a hopeful life over a glorious death." In my opinion, this is not totally insane, but it's impractical and idealistic (among other things, I think it's naive to assume we have the capacity to engage without our own brand of corruption compounding pre-existing issues). It's certainly not insane like "magic trust hymen" Cruz, whose views are disconnected from reality in a really fundamental way.

But here's what I don't get: how can extreme interventionism in foreign affairs exist alongside fiscal conservatism in domestic ones? If you watch him (Graham) discuss Obamacare, for example, his complaints aren't based on wanting to screw the poor per se--it's that he claims expanding Medicaid and etc. is too expensive and over-burdens the states. (And again, seems extra bizarre because he admitted in his little online book that it took him at least fifteen years to pay the medical debt from his mother's terminal cancer, owing to the family having been under-insured and living in poverty.) If you watch him discussing the flooding in South Carolina, he explicitly states that they won't take "a penny more" than they need. I can rationalize the perspective of allowing absurd spending meddling in foreign nations if you're also in favor of similar meddling at home at corresponding expense. But how can you believe in "state's rights" when the states you're talking about are constituent members of the union, but not when those states are completely discrete countries? And have that view apparently largely predicated on cost, where injections of government dollars into the local economy are more likely to boost local economic conditions than if those dollars were spent outside our nation's borders? If you think funding infrastructure and education matter in Iraq, then how could you not want to support infrastructure and education in America?

idgi :shrug:

Pick fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiX4FAQC9cg

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Montasque posted:

It's their only play. Only Trump and Cruz currently have viable paths to the nomination.

To get to 1237 naturally for Cruz would require crazy results like Cruz (not Trump or Rubio) winning Florida. Without that (and with the assumption he's losing Ohio to either Kasich or Trump anyway), he'd be about 200 delegates short of where he wants to be on March 15th and would have to seriously outperform in the remaining primaries to even be in the lead by the end of the primaries, let alone get near 1237.

That's not to say that this is useless for Cruz...there's a huge difference between ending up with ~600 delegates and ~1000 delegates in a brokered scenario.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/election-2016/delegate-targets/republicans/

This is actually a pretty cool tool. Look at the races yet to go, remember Cruz is currently 150 delegates off track as is and will need to make those up, and note that his "path" includes both Florida and Ohio, which isn't going to happen, so he's probably more like 300 off track. He can outperform those targets in a lot of other states, especially with Rubio likely out after the 15th (for example, I think Cruz could do a lot better in Wisconsin or Maryland than those trackers give him as his target, and without Rubio, could probably do significantly better in California than those estimates), but even factoring those in and making generous to Cruz assumptions like that he wins WTA Arizona and Indiana, I don't see how he gets past 950-1000 delegates, let alone to 1237.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Patter Song posted:

To get to 1237 naturally for Cruz would require crazy results like Cruz (not Trump or Rubio) winning Florida. Without that (and with the assumption he's losing Ohio to either Kasich or Trump anyway), he'd be about 200 delegates short of where he wants to be on March 15th and would have to seriously outperform in the remaining primaries to even be in the lead by the end of the primaries, let alone get near 1237.

That's not to say that this is useless for Cruz...there's a huge difference between ending up with ~600 delegates and ~1000 delegates in a brokered scenario.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/election-2016/delegate-targets/republicans/

This is actually a pretty cool tool. Look at the races yet to go, remember Cruz is currently 150 delegates off track as is and will need to make those up, and note that his "path" includes both Florida and Ohio, which isn't going to happen, so he's probably more like 300 off track. He can outperform those targets in a lot of other states, especially with Rubio likely out after the 15th (for example, I think Cruz could do a lot better in Wisconsin or Maryland than those trackers give him as his target, and without Rubio, could probably do significantly better in California than those estimates), but even factoring those in and making generous to Cruz assumptions like that he wins WTA Arizona and Indiana, I don't see how he gets past 950-1000 delegates, let alone to 1237.

Hannity was wrong and I was wrong to not double check what that idiot blockhead said.

So only Trump has a viable path to the nomination which makes this convention fight path the only path the #nevertrump'ers have left.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

quote:

It's called the STAR program, which stands for the New York State School Tax Relief Program

woof now there's a butchered acronym.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Montasque posted:

Hannity was wrong and I was wrong to not double check what that idiot blockhead said.

So only Trump has a viable path to the nomination which makes this convention fight path the only path the #nevertrump'ers have left.

It's been that way for a week now, where ya been?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Pick posted:

But here's what I don't get: how can extreme interventionism in foreign affairs exist alongside fiscal conservatism in domestic ones? If you watch him (Graham) discuss Obamacare, for example, his complaints aren't based on wanting to screw the poor per se--it's that he claims expanding Medicaid and etc. is too expensive and over-burdens the states. (And again, seems extra bizarre because he admitted in his little online book that it took him at least fifteen years to pay the medical debt from his mother's terminal cancer, owing to the family having been under-insured and living in poverty.) If you watch him discussing the flooding in South Carolina, he explicitly states that they won't take "a penny more" than they need. I can rationalize the perspective of allowing absurd spending meddling in foreign nations if you're also in favor of similar meddling at home at corresponding expense. But how can you believe in "state's rights" when the states you're talking about are constituent members of the union, but not when those states are completely discrete countries? And have that view apparently largely predicated on cost, where injections of government dollars into the local economy are more likely to boost local economic conditions than if those dollars were spent outside our nation's borders?

idgi :shrug:
That's basically the proto-typical US "fiscal conservatism", where you try to spend as little as you possibly can get away with. It ties back in weird and variable ways to the protestant work ethic of not taking "more than your own fair share". In the small scale, it's easy to see why this came to be, but the problem is that applying this thought process to things like flood relief is bad, and it's not how the government should work.

I can post more about it later, but basically this fiscal conservatism is what makes Graham a Rrepublican, instead of a very, very, very hawkish Democrat.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Montasque posted:

Note that that delegate estimate for Cruz is actually very generous in places. 538's path for Cruz has him taking 52/52 out of Winner-Take-Most Missouri next week, which you'd only expect with a reasonably large win. A narrow Cruz win in Missouri would yield something like 43 delegates for Cruz and 9 for Trump due to the way Winner-Take-Most works, still a commanding win and a serious blow for Trump's majority path, but it'd actually put Cruz behind pace.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Oiled and Ready posted:

It's been that way for a week now, where ya been?

Putt'n on my 'vote trump' face y'all!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Montasque posted:

fixed

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Montasque posted:

I love these obscure old vinyl records.

Thunder God Biden
Sep 8, 2004

Israel is not a legitimate entity, and no amount of pressure can force us to recognize its right to exist.

Montasque posted:

Rush has spent about 2hrs talking about that super-secret-not-secret meeting held on how to stop Trump.

For those that don't know:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/aei-world-forum-donald-trump_us_56ddbd38e4b0ffe6f8ea125d?tn50o1or

Island off the coast of Georgia you say?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/JRubinBlogger/status/707295320447713280

Jennifer Rubin will Stump Trump one day!

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?

:golfclap:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Slime Person joins with Slime Man

quote:

He admitted in the deposition that he previously had sex with several other women while on trips to Thailand and Hong Kong at least five years ago.

The women, he said, simply knocked on the door of his hotel room, entered and had sex with him. He said he did not know if they were prostitutes because they never asked for money and he did not pay them.

"Mr. Bush, you have to admit it's a pretty remarkable thing for a man just to go to a hotel room door and open it and have a woman standing there and have sex with her," Brown said.

"It was very unusual," Bush said.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/11/25/bush.brother.reut/

And I've been trying to screen shot I made on a Bing search for Trump and the Detroit bankruptcy because of the MI vote tonight, and this is what came up

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

Romney before Trump:

Romney after Trump:

Nice Meltdown.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

fade5 posted:

That's basically the proto-typical US "fiscal conservatism", where you try to spend as little as you possibly can get away with. It ties back in weird and variable ways to the protestant work ethic of not taking "more than your own fair share". In the small scale, it's easy to see why this came to be, but the problem is that applying this thought process to things like flood relief is bad, and it's not how the government should work.

I can post more about it later, but basically this fiscal conservatism is what makes Graham a Rrepublican, instead of a very, very, very hawkish Democrat.

I understand the desire for minimal government spending as a legitimate political position (not one to which I personally subscribe, but in an academic sense). I also support the idea of a congress that represents the range of... reality-based political thought (although obviously I'd prefer it matched my views/values overall). But to me, "reality-based" means based on fact and viewed through a consistent lens. I don't understand how someone can believe that good schools matter in Iraq, but not in the United States (where, for example, Graham has voted against additional federal dollars for education). I don't understand why, to a conservative, it is apparently more important to spend money to exert influence elsewhere and not in your own backyard? Again, his rhetoric suggests he believes education matters and works, so why bleed money so that we can "stabilize" a foreign nation enough that we can build a school, but not repair the mold-infested schools of Detroit?

e: And even this I might understand if Graham were a prep-school Harvard jackass who thought "Yeah, my school could have gone without new lacrosse equipment every fortnight, make the parents pay for the polo ponies if it's so important" but he's not. He has witnessed the effects of insufficient accommodations for the lower economic classes!

---

I'd be interested in hearing more about it, I appreciate that :toot:

Pick fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 8, 2016

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Hannity also leading off his show about the Jakyll Island meeting. The Conspiracy to Stump the Trump is becoming the hot button issue in Talk Radio land.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Makign America Great Again

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012

quote:

Mitt Romney tapes Michigan robocall for John Kasich

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2016/03/mitt_romney_tapes_michigan_rob.html

"The script is similar to one Romney used in calls paid for by the Rubio campaign. "

Instead of coalescing behind one candidate Romney is making robocalls for both Kasich and Rubio. This does not seem like a good strategy.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

I can't really see Bernie supporters doing this, soooooo...good news for Bernie I guess?

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

TRUNMP!

*clkic*

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

shiksa posted:

woof now there's a butchered acronym.

It's actually NYS STAR

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

For everyone confused about why Republicans are hitting Trump on his bad language, the focus groups out of South Carolina with Trump supporters showed that the only thing that made their support waiver was tapes of his cussing.

republicans.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/GoogleTrends/status/707293408184836096
https://twitter.com/GoogleTrends/status/707293107524493312
https://twitter.com/GoogleTrends/status/707292779089498112
https://twitter.com/GoogleTrends/status/707292343284576256

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Makign America Great Again

It's clear her desperation has finally translated to heavy drinking.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Ahahahaaaaa, holy God:

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/707299821535760384

e: the RNC deleted the tweet, but it said, "Tammy Duckworth has a sad record of not standing up for our veterans."

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Here.

The joke is that she lost both legs serving in Iraq.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

William Bear posted:

Here.

jesus christ, well, sorry intern who just got fired.

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012

William Bear posted:

Here.

lol

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Cross posting but Neil Bush joined the Cruz campaign....on his finance team.
http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews....h-support.html/

If you need background on the third rear end in a top hat Bush brother, enjoy this read:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savings_and_loan_crisis

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

How predictive has this been?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

This is Tammy Duckworth for those who don't know

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

William Bear posted:

Here.

Thank you. Yeah, that's, uh, that's a fuckup.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Pick posted:

I understand the desire for minimal government spending as a legitimate political position (not one to which I personally subscribe, but in an academic sense). I also support the idea of a congress that represents the range of... reality-based political thought (although obviously I'd prefer it matched my views/values overall). But to me, "reality-based" means based on fact and viewed through a consistent lens. I don't understand how someone can believe that good schools matter in Iraq, but not in the United States (where, for example, Graham has voted against additional federal dollars for education). I don't understand why, to a conservative, it is apparently more important to spend money to exert influence elsewhere and not in your own backyard? Again, his rhetoric suggests he believes education matters and works, so why bleed money so that we can "stabilize" a foreign nation enough that we can build a school, but not repair the mold-infested schools of Detroit?

I'd be interested in hearing more about it, I appreciate that :toot:

Interventionism is about freeing up markets for trade. Interventionism, social liberalism, cultural liberalism, and neoliberalism are all part of the same package. The other side is populism, sexism, racism, nationalism, and isolationism. The only odd thing about our politics are the amount of rubes that thing you can mix and match them, and get say cultural liberalism without neoliberal economics or populism without nationalism, you can't.

People just get confused because the establishment lies their rear end off about what they will deliver. The notion of getting economic populism from rich social liberals or that they would deliver on social conservatism has always been lunacy. Far better to open up another market for neoliberalism and then call everyone a racist bigot who doesn't get with the program despite the fact that the middle class will pay for the war, have their jobs outsource, and then have to deal with immigrant competition for their jobs. These are all features, not bugs.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

William Bear posted:

Here.

How are they all so loving bad at this?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Not a Step posted:

How predictive has this been?

i'd guess trump gets googled more everywhere by virtue of being a celebrity, and he hasn't won every state, so somewhere between "not at all" and "useless"

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

William Bear posted:

Here.

carlin wouldve laughed

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

carlin wouldve laughed

Oh, I'm laughing, believe me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

William Bear posted:

Here.

How? How in the actual gently caress are they so bad at this? No one Trump is winning.

• Locked thread