Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

clamiam45 posted:

Sorry, Beta Israel Central Ethiopia. I think the cultural name for Semien is Beta Israel.

Yep, bet basically means "house" or "clan," so Beta Israel is the house of Israel and refers to the Ethiopian Jewish community.

Who, incidentally, still face a lot of discrimination in Israel post-emigration. :smith:

Quorum fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
they did a livestream to show off some mare nostrum stuff: http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/v/53143409

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

This is exactly what I was thinking about this morning, heh. Also I could feed this vassal toxic cores so when I annex them I dont pay anything extra for those toxic cores :v:

I also realized that even if I take Vienna now, I have to let the Separatism drop AND click a button to Westernize :derp:

The toxic core modifier carries forward into the annexation cost, unfortunately. Spending extra diplo is more palatable than extra admin in most situations though.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Koramei posted:

they did a livestream to show off some mare nostrum stuff: http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/v/53143409

Can someone give us some highlights please?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jazerus posted:

The toxic core modifier carries forward into the annexation cost, unfortunately. Spending extra diplo is more palatable than extra admin in most situations though.
So wait, if Mewar has toxic cores, and I feed those to Kiawathar (who does not have toxic cores), it would be more expensive to annex Kiawathar even though they do not have the toxic core idea and simply own someone else's toxic cores?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yup.

Also, anyone else think it would have been better to go with Estates/Territories based on Areas, rather than the much larger Regions?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

:stonk: Aint that some poo poo.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 8, 2016

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Yup.

Also, anyone else think it would have been better to go with Estates/Territories based on Areas, rather than the much larger Regions?

I think so. I think that the size of states is simply very large right now and it will penalize countries that exist in border regions. If areas were used and the number of allowed "states" were doubled then that would substantially increase the number of viable configurations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It would also allow for a more gradual expansion of central power, which seems sensible. You could even differentiate the government levels that way if you wanted to.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

It would also allow for a more gradual expansion of central power, which seems sensible. You could even differentiate the government levels that way if you wanted to.

Honestly I think that all territory held by a duchy should be "state" territory and also free of upkeep, but that there's a limit to how much territory a duchy can hold before it has to upgrade to a kingdom or experience escalating corruption (look! we're using corruption!)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dibujante posted:

Honestly I think that all territory held by a duchy should be "state" territory and also free of upkeep, but that there's a limit to how much territory a duchy can hold before it has to upgrade to a kingdom or experience escalating corruption (look! we're using corruption!)
Hopefully this is what they are doing since, if I remember correctly, it seemed to read that Corruption escalated the larger your country got.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
What is wrong with forts blocking the AI movement? It's not that fun when the AI can just straight up ignore forts and just walk all over your territory while I sometimes get stuck and can't move anywhere when entering a fort.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Fort ZoCs are still buggy as gently caress, and the AI doesn't get to cheat any more than you do. In fact, you can definitely exploit the gently caress out of forts to trap AI armies so that they can't retreat away by taking a fort in their line of withdrawal. But sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and I can't determine why.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Bort Bortles posted:

So wait, if Mewar has toxic cores, and I feed those to Kiawathar (who does not have toxic cores), it would be more expensive to annex Kiawathar even though they do not have the toxic core idea and simply own someone else's toxic cores?

You can always have Mewar revoke cores on non-primary-culture cores, or wait until they expire (150 years later).

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Fort ZoCs are still buggy as gently caress, and the AI doesn't get to cheat any more than you do.

In terms if ZoC, sure, I guess, but I hate seeing the AI not paying upkeep on any forts that border water or wasteland or another country.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

sloshmonger posted:

You can always have Mewar revoke cores on non-primary-culture cores, or wait until they expire (150 years later).
This is true, it at least runs down the number of toxic cores they have out there.

dublish posted:

In terms if ZoC, sure, I guess, but I hate seeing the AI not paying upkeep on any forts that border water or wasteland or another country.
huwhat?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

The AI gets a discount to maintenance on border forts because otherwise the AI will just destroy the fort if it's running into money issues.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
There's actually an option to turn this off in defines.lua but the comment next to it says something along the lines "If you turn this off the AI will be really bad at the game."

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

dublish posted:

One of these things is not like the other

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
They mentioned somewhere recently that wastelands giving free forts is unintended so they're gonna fix that next patch

Shroud posted:

Can someone give us some highlights please?

I wasn't paying full attention but I don't think there was much new info- east africa is a new tech group (in addition to the central african one we knew about), they showed off the fetishist bonuses, and they changed their minds on the mercantalism adding to corruption thing.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

TTBF posted:

The AI gets a discount to maintenance on border forts because otherwise the AI will just destroy the fort if it's running into money issues.
it's not a discount they are straight up free for them.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Here's arumba explaining it:

quote:

In a recent patch the AI was given a small change that was supposed to help alleviate the player's ability to do timed attacks against mothballed border forts. Here's the situation:

The AI is notoriously bad at managing finances, so they would mothball their forts even as a very aggressive neighbor had an army at their doorstep. Player positions their army, declares war on 01 of a month, and before the end of that month, they march their army to the province. Forts under siege cannot recover garrison. So the 0 garrison fort would automatically fall within one siege cycle, or roughly 30 days.

Paradox's solution was to make border forts free for all AI countries to maintain. Sounds like a minor change to fix blatant player/ai abuse, right? But its not just border forts. It's any fort that border's another country, or any sea tile, and even wastelands.

So now we have this situation: Nov 11th, 1444, Ottomans. They have 4 forts and roughly 28 ducats/mo income. All of the forts border sea tiles or other countries. Seen here: http://imgur.com/a/wvCrT

So now we have what is already (just one of many examples of) a very strong country, with very high relative starting income, and 0.00 maintenance on their forts. As they expand on all the nearby cores via missions and reconquest they pick up another half dozen forts or more, and again almost every single one of them is 0.00 maintenance. When they upgrade the forts to level 2, or 3 or 4, they are still free.

In one of my recent campaign's with Shen, we counted up the forts that the Ottomans had amassed in ~100 years, and the number was ~27. :siren:How many did they have to pay for? Three.:siren:

My point in making this post is to call this type of balancing out. This is not Civilization 5. This is not a game where the AI should be balanced versus the player with AI cheats.

We deserve a better solution to the problem than this.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The OE is probably the worst possible example because they have so much coastal border.

I actually think that the "delete all your forts except the one on your island capital, be invincible forever" exploit is way worse; it's pretty obvious that for a player forts are something you want as few of as possible, which is bad.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

RabidWeasel posted:

The OE is probably the worst possible example because they have so much coastal border.

I actually think that the "delete all your forts except the one on your island capital, be invincible forever" exploit is way worse; it's pretty obvious that for a player forts are something you want as few of as possible, which is bad.
Imagine the OE with their capital on Cyprus and a billion galleys in the Med :v:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Bort Bortles posted:

Imagine the OE with their capital on Cyprus and a billion galleys in the Med :v:

The British Empire model?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yayyyyyyy a 15 year regency as the Ottomans, hooray! 0/0/1 for the stats, too! This is SO AWESOME.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
I never have the manpower to be constantly at war anyway, sometimes a regency is a good breather

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bitter Mushroom posted:

I never have the manpower to be constantly at war anyway, sometimes a regency is a good breather

That's like saying that being homeless is better than paying your mortgage.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Bitter Mushroom posted:

I have 80% mercenary infantry and have been chaining wars nonstop. I have actually been having a remarkable amount of fun. Now I am sitting here watching the paint dry while a loving Protestant center of reformation is converting Vienna and there is nothing I can do to stop it, so Vienna will be Protestant for 30 years and there is jack loving squat I can do about it. It is so loving stupid.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Maybe just don't play Ironman? I feel like you make a lot of posts in this thread about how you got screwed by some bullshit or at least not-fun mechanic. If that kind of thing bothers you just savescum and don't sweat it, no one is gonna judge.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
But....but the cheevos. :ohdear:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Bort Bortles posted:

Yayyyyyyy a 15 year regency as the Ottomans, hooray! 0/0/1 for the stats, too! This is SO AWESOME.

The worst thing is waiting for a war of opportunity for years and you go to declare war and, whoops you forgot, you're in a regency. Your time has passed, and now Mega Francewill forever go untouched.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Bold Robot posted:

Maybe just don't play Ironman? I feel like you make a lot of posts in this thread about how you got screwed by some bullshit or at least not-fun mechanic. If that kind of thing bothers you just savescum and don't sweat it, no one is gonna judge.

Let's reconstruct what's happening. A dude enters the thread going "Here's an actual example of regencies being frustrating, from my Ironman run."

The thread has previously discussed that the inability to declare wars during regencies is stupid. At least 4-5 people have weighed in agreeing, nobody has really opposed it, and in general the responses seem to be "Why should Monarchies be the worst government type and have such a weird drawback that is not really historical and seems to affect Monarchies unduly." Keep in mind EU4's succession system is real odd because there were usually more than 2 people involved in succession to the throne!

So one could either acknowledge that "Ah yes, this guy is restating what other people have said many times before, that not being able to declare wars during a long regency is dumb and there should be workarounds."

Or one could go "Man look at this noob playing Ironman and just bitching about every bad turn, maybe he shouldn't play Ironman if its so hard??"

The second seems dumb, to me.

I feel the restriction on being able to declare wars during regencies as a Monarchy is pointless, and trying to 0wn Bort Bortles is not worth defending that boring poo poo.

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 9, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
savescumming is not an appropriate solution for regencies being a terrible mechanic

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Regencies are fine tho.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

CharlestheHammer posted:

Regencies are fine tho.

What do you like about them?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Rakthar posted:

What do you like about them?

I don't like them, I just don't dislike them. They honestly don't come up enough to care.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Rakthar posted:

Let's reconstruct what's happening. A dude enters the thread going "Here's an actual example of regencies being frustrating, from my Ironman run."

The thread has previously discussed that the inability to declare wars during regencies is stupid. At least 4-5 people have weighed in agreeing, nobody has really opposed it, and in general the responses seem to be "Why should Monarchies be the worst government type and have such a weird drawback that is not really historical and seems to affect Monarchies unduly." Keep in mind EU4's succession system is real odd because there were usually more than 2 people involved in succession to the throne!

So one could either acknowledge that "Ah yes, this guy is restating what other people have said many times before, that not being able to declare wars during a long regency is dumb and there should be workarounds."

Or one could go "Man look at this noob playing Ironman and just bitching about every bad turn, maybe he shouldn't play Ironman if its so hard??"

The second seems dumb, to me.

I feel the restriction on being able to declare wars during regencies as a Monarchy is pointless, and trying to 0wn Bort Bortles is not worth defending that boring poo poo.

I'm not defending regencies, of course they're awful and everything you say about mechanics here is right. My point was simply that Bortles makes a lot of posts about how frustrated he is when he gets stymied by X lovely mechanic in Ironman. When I get a long regency I immediately savescum because that shot is not fun at all. This is because I am not myself an iron man and I'd rather forgo ~cheebs~ than deal with the handful of features in EU4 that everyone agrees suck (like regencies). I'm suggesting maybe Bortles should do the same.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I hope they never "fix" regencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't like them, I just don't dislike them. They honestly don't come up enough to care.

I mean, I disagree. Ironman is a good example, a long regency is a huge setback and possibly campaign-ruiner (if going for achievements).

The regency mechanic as implemented is not historically accurate and is a large penalty on monarchies. Regencies are in fact so lovely that arguably "doesn't have regencies" is the single most desirable quality in a government type.

It's not often a big deal but if you're doing a long Ironman campaign it's pretty serious.

• Locked thread