Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It's fine, not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

AncientTV posted:

Do yourself a favor and watch it at half speed

Haha, thats amazing, he sounds like he's hammered drunk.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

echomadman posted:

Haha, thats amazing, he sounds like he's hammered drunk.

Hahaha, the whole thing is pretty incredible at half speed. All the proprietary material names and stuff just makes him sound like he's drunk off his rear end making poo poo up.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Koruthaiolos posted:

Hahaha, the whole thing is pretty incredible at half speed. All the proprietary material names and stuff just makes him sound like he's drunk off his rear end making poo poo up.

I'm dying

The tears don't stop

On another note, I went for this season's first ride and wore my new Held gloves. They're quite stiff, here we go break-in period!

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 9, 2016

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

Anybody tried Forma boots? I needed WP boots and was looking at Gaerne Balance boots but they don't have a shifter pad and if I'm gonna spend Gaerne money we wants our precious pad. Forma came up an an alternative and a little less than Gaerne money.

e: f it I ordered them. Have I made a huge mistake?

Nice timing, I ordered a pair on Sunday and they just arrived. They seem flexible enough from just walking around the house in them but I haven't had a chance to take a ride yet. They seem like they'd fit better as over-the-pants boots which is how I normally wear my gear anyway but I also have pretty skinny calves. They seem to have a similar fit to other euro brands, I ordered a 46 and they fit about the same as my size 46 SMX-5 (wide enough at the toe but a bit too long for me) which is pretty much standard for my hosed up foot shape.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Went for a ride in the Forma Adventure boots. They took almost no time to break in! In my house they had some weird pressure points on the outsides of the arches but a couple hours on the road have them feeling like an old pair of sneakers. Didn't get very wet so didn't get a chance to try out the waterproofness.

They wouldn't make very good MX boots even though they try to look the part; not much leg protection/support above the ankle.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 11, 2016

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
My roadcrafter showed up:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Giblet Plus! posted:

My roadcrafter showed up:

Tomorrow morning you'll wake up and find grey in your bush.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Koruthaiolos posted:

On February 27th, 2016, Anthony from RevZilla drank 8 shots of tequila...

a six-pack of beers...

and then told us about the ICON Raiden UX Pant.

Mark Waters presents
Drunk Gearstory

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Posting to lament my inability to find boots that fit my criteria of "looks good" and "costs less than $130." Everything that isn't either French Stewart levels of gaudy or German Nihilist Black modeled by a first year CAD student costs over $200.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Posting to lament my inability to find boots that fit my criteria of "looks good" and "costs less than $130." Everything that isn't either French Stewart levels of gaudy or German Nihilist Black modeled by a first year CAD student costs over $200.

used?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

As a rule, I don't buy worn shoes. I'd buy second hand (and unworn) though.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Spend the money. Anything that fits your criteria of looks and price is likely to be a wash on comfort and/or fall apart relatively quickly.

I say this as someone who's had little to no money (or less) for most of the last ten years. Good boots are worth saving up for.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Are integrated bluetooth helmets a relatively new thing? The options seem to limited out there, so it seems like everyone must be adding blue tooth as an accessory.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Specialized gear is almost always better, but I've heard Schuberths are okay

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

The Wonder Weapon posted:

It's stretching "looks good" but Fox Comp 5s is like $125ish and mine have worn admirably over the last 5ish years.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

eggyolk posted:

Are integrated bluetooth helmets a relatively new thing? The options seem to limited out there, so it seems like everyone must be adding blue tooth as an accessory.

They've been around for at least 10 years now (I think Caberg were doing them almost as soon as Bluetooth became A Thing) but not many bikers are that interested so the market is limited, and people would rather not be locked to their specific model. Just buy the Cardo or Sena set of your choice and match it to the helmet of your choice. It'll be cheaper and you won't have to compromise on either, the only disadvantage is it doesn't look quite as neat.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They've been around for at least 10 years now (I think Caberg were doing them almost as soon as Bluetooth became A Thing) but not many bikers are that interested so the market is limited, and people would rather not be locked to their specific model. Just buy the Cardo or Sena set of your choice and match it to the helmet of your choice. It'll be cheaper and you won't have to compromise on either, the only disadvantage is it doesn't look quite as neat.

This. The only (current production) helmets that I've seen with BT already installed are the bilt technos. The modulars sucks and the full face is just a Speed & Strength SS1300. HJC uses a crappy Chatterbox system for their integrated BT. Nolan uses their own system, but I've not heard much about it. Sena makes helmet specific BT for multiple Shoei models now. It's pretty slick.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
MX/offroad boot recommendations? I'm thinking tech 3s with the all-terrain sole for trail riding, but something that'll handle supermoto racing and offroad would be nice. The soles on modern MX boots look pretty tractionless.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Slim Pickens posted:

MX/offroad boot recommendations? I'm thinking tech 3s with the all-terrain sole for trail riding, but something that'll handle supermoto racing and offroad would be nice. The soles on modern MX boots look pretty tractionless.

I just ordered the SIDI Crossfire 2 SRS boots. They haven't shown up yet, so I can't really review them. The sole is replaceable. They have 4 soles for them. A chunky offroad one, a less chunky street/offroad one (this one comes installed with the stock boot) and 2 compounds of supermoto soles for sliding on pavement.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Day Man posted:

I just ordered the SIDI Crossfire 2 SRS boots. They haven't shown up yet, so I can't really review them. The sole is replaceable. They have 4 soles for them. A chunky offroad one, a less chunky street/offroad one (this one comes installed with the stock boot) and 2 compounds of supermoto soles for sliding on pavement.

I have a pair of them that are practically brand new. Wore them once outside to adjust the shift lever on my drz. I sold my drz before I got to use them. They're size 8.5. If anyone wants them I could give you a good price. I have the supermoto soles too.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Some boot manufacturers offer a MX sole and a offroad sole on the same boot upper.

You mentioned A* boots, check out the Tech 7 Enduro boots, they look like they have MX style protection with a more grippy sole.

Trail riding on MX style soles isn't the end of the world though.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I've owned a pair of xfire2 srs boots for a while. they're absolutely awesome. If you have wide feet go up a size.

They've tons of ankle support too which is nice.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Partial Octopus posted:

I have a pair of them that are practically brand new. Wore them once outside to adjust the shift lever on my drz. I sold my drz before I got to use them. They're size 8.5. If anyone wants them I could give you a good price. I have the supermoto soles too.

Those would fit me perfect, but drat, $500 for boots is a lot. PM me what you want for them, though, they're probably worth it.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Alpinestars tech 7. Awesome boots. $350

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

AncientTV posted:

Do yourself a favor and watch it at half speed

I know its late, but i just did this and it's loving glorious, my god.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pope Mobile posted:

Alpinestars tech 7. Awesome boots. $350

Leaning towards the tech 7 enduros. So do they not make sliders or soles for supermoto anymore? I'm not finding anything.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Got some Uglybros jeans in the mail today. Really impressed with the quality and the fit. Can't recommend them enough.

http://www.uglybrosusa.com/

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Aww poo poo, just dropped a bunch of dollarydoos on a pair of 2015 SMX-Pluses (OMG, fit almost like a glove - so, so much better than my Sidis, even with hiking socks, a foam inner sole and an orthotic, much better ankle flex protection, too) and a Dainese Super Fast Estivo (Summer, therefore perfed) leather jacket. Despite coming into the cooler months I foresee it still being useful for some time yet this season. Can't wait to feel that sweet, sweet airflow.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Aww poo poo, just dropped a bunch of dollarydoos on a pair of 2015 SMX-Pluses (OMG, fit almost like a glove - so, so much better than my Sidis, even with hiking socks, a foam inner sole and an orthotic, much better ankle flex protection, too) and a Dainese Super Fast Estivo (Summer, therefore perfed) leather jacket. Despite coming into the cooler months I foresee it still being useful for some time yet this season. Can't wait to feel that sweet, sweet airflow.

Same. Revzilla has them on close out, so I finally snagged me some Gore-tex.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
It was 90 F today and I was sweating in my lovely Bilt jacket so badly on my 3 mile commute I thought I was going to pass out. Suggestions for hot-environment (Central Texas) jacket and gloves?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Laminator posted:

It was 90 F today and I was sweating in my lovely Bilt jacket so badly on my 3 mile commute I thought I was going to pass out. Suggestions for hot-environment (Central Texas) jacket and gloves?

In LA I just wore a dainese perforated leather jacket and some shorty Alpinestars gloves. You sacrifice protection for comfort in this case, but you can always just choose not to crash.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Laminator posted:

Budget/build? My go-to for a hot weather jacket is the Rev'it GT-R Air. If you can fit into euro-cut gear, that'd be my pick.

Gloves are a bit more personal. Personally, I wear GP-Pros in the summer (Georgia heat) and they have enough ventilation that my hands are never bothered. Some people have really sensitive hands and need a ton of perf, or even going so far as to wear mesh gloves. I'll never wear a glove that isn't a gauntlet with a wrist strap, or something that accomplishes the same thing, like Rev'it's brilliantly engineered Cayenne Pro. It's just way too easy for a shorty (or single-closure gauntlet) glove to come off in a crash. If I can pull a properly sized glove off my hand with my other hand, there's no way I'd ever trust it in a crash. But, if your hands really bother you, and you're willing to make the compromise, then I'd trust any A/S or Rev'it glove (Dai gloves are nice and all, but severely overpriced).

I like the Held Airstreams if you want a reasonably priced summer gauntlet. Just be careful with them. I wouldn't use them with aggressive grips (e.g. Renthals). Try not to get them wet, and keep them conditioned. The palm is 'roo leather (great feel, but it's thinner than cowhide) and is full perf, so if you're abusing them, you can wear them out fairly quickly. Take care of 'em and you'll be good for a couple seasons (depending on how much you ride, of course).

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

-Inu- posted:

Budget/build? My go-to for a hot weather jacket is the Rev'it GT-R Air. If you can fit into euro-cut gear, that'd be my pick.

Thanks for posting this, I've been looking for a shorter cut no velcro textile/mesh jacket for a while; the standard rst textiles they have on all the shelves around here are bulky poorly constructed crap with overly aggressive precurve in the sleeves, whereas as I already know rev'it are good for build quality. Price seems on point too.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Laminator posted:

I especially love my Firstgear mesh motorcycle jacket. I got lucky and snagged mine on sale for a hundred bucks, but I'd say it's definitely worth full price.

Thankfully, I've never tested it, but it's got fairly beefy armor inserts and the cooling/overall quality is much better than my old Xelement mesh jacket.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Laminator posted:

Tourmaster Flex 3 ; http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tour-master-flex-3-jacket

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Laminator posted:

Jacket-wise, you want solid leather with zippable vents, lighter color if possible so it doesn't pick up as much radiated heat.

Over about 93F, ventilation and perforation just make you hotter and in central Texas with all that humidity down there your sweat is useless anyway. Seal up and you're better off. Leather keeps you better isolated from the heat. When it's cooler, open the vents.

FWIW, the hottest I've ever been on the bike is Texas at about 90F, moving along the highway. Even at 110 in Utah the dry air makes perspiration effective unlike in the central Texas gulf climate.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

OSU_Matthew posted:

I especially love my Firstgear mesh motorcycle jacket. I got lucky and snagged mine on sale for a hundred bucks, but I'd say it's definitely worth full price.

Thankfully, I've never tested it, but it's got fairly beefy armor inserts and the cooling/overall quality is much better than my old Xelement mesh jacket.

I have one of these from last season. It looks a little different, but it is basically the same jacket. I bought it in a large and it didn't fit. I never got around to returning it. Laminator, if you're interested and think it is the right size PM me. I can probably mail it to you for the cost of shipping.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Looking for babbys first full face helmet. Found someone very local selling a shoei rf1100 that has apparently been worn twice for 150. Assuming it fits and is undamaged, good deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

PaintVagrant posted:

Looking for babbys first full face helmet. Found someone very local selling a shoei rf1100 that has apparently been worn twice for 150. Assuming it fits and is undamaged, good deal?

Don't buy used helmets