Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

D_Smart posted:

...and that would have allowed them to continuing selling dreams and JPEGS, how?

Long term I would argue it allows them to sell more JPEGs, since as new ships are added people get a chance to see how the various systems interact and there's less animosity because people know what to expect ahead of time. Thus people hold CIG in a higher regard and are more inclined to purchase JPEGs and micro-JPEGs that may contain a small amount of what appeals to them (like an upgrade or something).

So yes, totally inappropriate for CIG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

I don't follow pewdiepie at all (because his name is dumb and reminds me of honey booboo), but he sounds like someone who doesn't understand that he is an internet celebrity and what that entails.

The bear simulator guy could stand to nut up a bit though. I understand that a million jabbering idiots blowing up your game is overwhelming if you're not used to or prepared for it, but CliffyB kinda nailed it in his tweet.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

D_Smart posted:

Ah! But she CAN cook. Wait! Does that even count these days?

You probably think it does but Sandi is the best cook in the world and has been since she was a little girl

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I'll save you, thread

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Your move.

I...uh....:negative:

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Coolguye posted:

Real talk for a second, yeah, there's a gulf of difference between calling a game bad, and attacking a developer. And there's a further gulf of difference between attacking a development company (such as EA, or CIG) and attacking a specific person at that company.

It's almost never okay to attack someone personally. Even putting aside legal nonsense, which I don't even want to try to touch, it makes you no better than those dickweeds on the playground who pick on people to get attention. Yeah, maybe the guy did a bad job - well surprise surprise, it's not easy to do anything worth doing, sorry that's a thing. Criticize him sure, but going out and calling someone a stupid person (which PDP basically did in that video) is just not okay by any polite standards. Only time it approaches okay is when there's a lot of evidence that someone SPECIFICALLY has a history of bad behavior that messes with other people, which this developer definitely did not. There's no evidence of him acting in anything but good faith.

Good points.

CHRIS ROBERTS: I hereby publicly apologize for calling you dumb and/or possibly mentally challenged.

Now I know you're just constantly stoned out of your gourd.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Daztek posted:

I'll save you, thread

Thread saved :golfclap:

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Jason Sextro posted:

You probably think it does but Sandi is the best cook in the world and has been since she was a little girl

and she can cook in seven different languages.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Daztek posted:

I'll save you, thread

:five:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beet Wagon posted:

I...uh....:negative:

another victim of the smarthammer

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Ash1138 posted:

I don't follow pewdiepie at all (because his name is dumb and reminds me of honey booboo), but he sounds like someone who doesn't understand that he is an internet celebrity and what that entails.
he does, he is just harshly rational on what gets him the most clicks (and therefore, the most money). he made some pretty horrendous rape jokes back in the late 2000s because that sort of edginess was in vogue, then he stopped when it became unacceptable. attacking individuals behind crowdfunding is in vogue now, so he has been (and will continue to) do that until it becomes unacceptable. in this lens, calling him Bad is kind of just being a player hater because the dude is just playing the game. but that doesn't exempt him from criticism, you can indeed hate the player and the game at the same time if you want.

e:

D1E posted:

Good points.

CHRIS ROBERTS: I hereby publicly apologize for calling you dumb and/or possibly mentally challenged.

Now I know you're just constantly stoned out of your gourd.
crobbinz, molyneux, and dsmart have all done more than enough to warrant getting thrashed around a bit, let's be real here

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Daztek posted:

I'll save you, thread

No sharks or F-14s. Thread still teetering on the edge of ruin!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

D_Smart posted:

Insulting, attacking, and abusing devs is simply abhorrent behavior.

:agreed:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Madcosby posted:

Derek I understand you were an original backer of SC by why all the LOD hate? What do you have against that game, besides that it's not very good? It fits a niche, im sure there are people that like it

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sniofq

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Tippis posted:

No sharks or F-14s. Thread still teetering on the edge of ruin!

I have failed :sigh:

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what

technically cig hasn't released any games so they dont count as devs

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Coolguye posted:

Real talk for a second, yeah, there's a gulf of difference between calling a game bad, and attacking a developer. And there's a further gulf of difference between attacking a development company (such as EA, or CIG) and attacking a specific person at that company.

The first is basically always acceptable. Nothing is perfect and criticism is generally valid, even if it's in the nitpicky, over the top way that a lot of online personalities do it. People hate on Yahtzee and Sterling, but they do a good job of attacking the game, generally. Sterling's worse about that poo poo than Yahtzee, but neither of them have made a particular habit of that crap the way PDP has.

Attacking a development company is a little weirder, but it makes a lot of sense if their behavior shows a pattern. It's chill to knock EA for publishing safe, derivative bullshit regardless of quality, because they've been doing that for years. It's chill to attack CIG for putting out nothing of any value, because in their however many years of development it's been this week, they literally haven't. Getting ape on a company's first game, when their other behavior has been perfectly reasonable and accountable up to that point, is kind of skeezy.

It's almost never okay to attack someone personally. Even putting aside legal nonsense, which I don't even want to try to touch, it makes you no better than those dickweeds on the playground who pick on people to get attention. Yeah, maybe the guy did a bad job - well surprise surprise, it's not easy to do anything worth doing, sorry that's a thing. Criticize him sure, but going out and calling someone a stupid person (which PDP basically did in that video) is just not okay by any polite standards. Only time it approaches okay is when there's a lot of evidence that someone SPECIFICALLY has a history of bad behavior that messes with other people, which this developer definitely did not. There's no evidence of him acting in anything but good faith.

If you don't like the game, yeah whatever, but PDP crossed a couple of lines in that video. But that's what happens when anyone can publish and nobody's accountable to standards or codes of ethics beyond what other people can shame them into.

^this. All of it. :bravo:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
This is not a joke.

Star Citizen may support Vulcan

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/50941/star-citizen-support-vulkan/index.html

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Daztek posted:

I'll save you, thread

My rocket is red. Therefore I should be going fasta.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Daztek posted:

I'll save you, thread

This is small on my screen. Do you have a 4K version?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

another victim of the smarthammer

There's a joke in there somewhere about getting hammered by Derek Smart.

Oh, I guess I just found it.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

Yeah. That's why I don't. I'm simply not a fan of that sort of thing. Insulting, attacking, and abusing devs is simply abhorrent behavior.

irony bonus

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

D_Smart posted:

Yeah. That's why I don't. I'm simply not a fan of that sort of thing. Insulting, attacking, and abusing devs is simply abhorrent behavior.

:allears:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6443147/#Comment_6443147

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6443239/#Comment_6443239

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6444450/#Comment_6444450

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

hanales posted:

This is small on my screen. Do you have a 4K version?

:(

Not 4k, but

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My rocket is red. Therefore I should be going fasta.

You would, if half your leg wasn't missing

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

praying for a new studio tour soon.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dusty Lens posted:

quote:

D_Smart posted:
Yeah. That's why I don't. I'm simply not a fan of that sort of thing. Media insulting, attacking, and abusing devs is simply abhorrent behavior.

Right. So how many of your smarters didn't catch on to the fact that the missing word was "media"?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I'm not sure what exactly is tripling every second but I know that something is.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Can anyone remind me what the motivation is for goons to destroy Star Citizen? I haven't been here long, so I think I missed the meeting where we all agreed to bring down this 100 million dollar company by laughing at it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Can you explain the significance, Derek-senpai?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

D_Smart posted:

Right. So how many of your smarters didn't catch on to the fact that the missing word was "media"?

Calling a youtube personality "media"

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Star Citizen would support the RIVA TNT2 if you bothered to ask Chris Roberts

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

SirPhoebos posted:

Can you explain the significance, Derek-senpai?

It's pretty simple. Porting any given engine from DX11 to another API is a huge undertaking and not to be taken lightly. What Derek hints at is that it's YACRP (Yet Another Chris Roberts Promise) and nothing more than hot air. Personally I doubt they will even make the jump to DX12, because this also is kind of a big deal.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

posting from the past, but drat, um, that sort of er, sort of made me, you know, um er.. er um, you know laugh.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sunswipe posted:

Can anyone remind me what the motivation is for goons to destroy Star Citizen? I haven't been here long, so I think I missed the meeting where we all agreed to bring down this 100 million dollar company by laughing at it.

I am pretty sure the only things goons are actively trying to destroy is the illusion that this is a good game. Hell, even a game at all.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Coolguye posted:

he does, he is just harshly rational on what gets him the most clicks (and therefore, the most money). he made some pretty horrendous rape jokes back in the late 2000s because that sort of edginess was in vogue, then he stopped when it became unacceptable. attacking individuals behind crowdfunding is in vogue now, so he has been (and will continue to) do that until it becomes unacceptable. in this lens, calling him Bad is kind of just being a player hater because the dude is just playing the game. but that doesn't exempt him from criticism, you can indeed hate the player and the game at the same time if you want.
naw, he sounds like a jerkbag who deserves a derek smart brand chaos dunk

Norefund14days
Feb 2, 2016

NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU PARP IN SPACE.

D_Smart posted:

That's the part where I tap out.

Ah! But she CAN cook. Wait! Does that even count these days?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

D_Smart posted:

No. Because I don't owe the world $109M. I own my company 100%. I'm married to a psychologist/therapist (also an ex-actress btw) who is way hotter than that hag.

Your move.

grandpa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Sunswipe posted:

Maybe read any single page of this thread dipshit?

• Locked thread