Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I felt the same way about Scrubs, but they took away my medical license after I tried to solve everything by daydreaming and calling my black co-workers Chocolate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Made the Bates Motel thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3767470

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Aphrodite posted:

I felt the same way about Scrubs, but they took away my medical license after I tried to solve everything by daydreaming and calling my black co-workers Chocolate.

Same but I work for a cleaning company and knifewrench did not go over well AT ALL.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Duke posted:

Honestly I kind of forgot about Children's Hospital after like 3 seasons (happens to me a lot with Adult Swim shows since their schedules are so wacky), is it worth catching up on? Is it still the same show or did they change it up in some significant way?

Also should I go back and watch the first 3 seasons again so I don't miss any hilarious callbacks in like season 6?

Watch any episode written by Jason Mantzoukis. He's like the Darin Morgan of Childrens Hospital.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Craig Robinson is going to have a recurring role on Mr. Robot S2.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
as is a man called Joey Bada$$, which is a self-administered moniker, supposedly.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

As far as TV shows go, TWW is probably up there for being the most densely packed with information. It isn't a documentary or anything, and maybe the storylines were overly starry-eyed and the implications troubling, but it touched on stuff you'd hardly ever see anywhere, from the consequences of leaking intelligence to exploring bringing back wolves in the West.

I haven't seen it in years, but I still think its a pretty great show. I also have never watched the Newsroom.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I started watching that show Gotham. I am really, really glad that they stopped doing terrible fancy lighting in every scene after the pilot

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
My mom loves West Wing, but whenever I watched it with her, I could only stand the comedic parts. If you watch it as primarily a comedy and enjoy the back and forth dialogue, it's an entertaining show. I also really, really loved the relationship between Donna and Josh. But the show is really, really naive or deliberately obtuse about how politics actually works, and because it is a TV show of the early 00's it is still very Problem of the Week oriented, meaning most things get resolved within the course of 45 minutes. The demands of that format, coupled with Sorkin's preachiness, mean that the show is selling people on a version of American governance that never existed, a starry-eyed upper-middle class, primarily white male liberal fantasy.

The few episodes of the last couple seasons I saw, I liked, primarily because Vinnick was a really good character played by the great Alan Alda. I got the warm fuzzies when he decided not to cater to Big Corn.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I don't think you need to warn people about how idealistic TWW is. Just look at the fact that one of the two major political parties in the US right now is basically in an open revolt against the front-runner for their presidential nomination, or what the Republicans are trying to pull with the supreme court nomination. Watching a single episode of TWW and comparing it to our actual political reality should make it pretty clear just how far apart the two are.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
why does Gotham have all these characters beyond Cobblepot and Nigma?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

boom boom boom posted:

why does Gotham have all these characters beyond Cobblepot and Nigma?

I know, right? It's why I stopped watching it. They are good, but the characters that suck really suck and take up like 70% of the show somehow.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
"war is just politics by other means! And isn't politics just money, talking?"

"talking about what?!"

Give Gotham all the Emmys.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Uhh huh.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/csi-alum-george-eads-star-873518

'CSI' Alum George Eads to Co-Star in 'MacGyver'

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

GreenNight posted:

'CSI' Alum George Eads to Co-Star in 'MacGyver'

Will he play the paperclip

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Tonight, on Gotham; Gordon faces his most dangerous foe yet. An assassin with this foot long metal pipe he screws together, and then a six inch spike shoots out the end. It stays attached to the pipe, it doesn't fire out like a gun. So he can only kill people with it by holding it right up to their eyeball.

He's the most dangerous hitman in Gotham.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

boom boom boom posted:

Tonight, on Gotham; Gordon faces his most dangerous foe yet. An assassin with this foot long metal pipe he screws together, and then a six inch spike shoots out the end. It stays attached to the pipe, it doesn't fire out like a gun. So he can only kill people with it by holding it right up to their eyeball.

Gotham sounds amazingly bad.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

boom boom boom posted:

A villain in Gotham with a gimmick? That's ridiculous!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

bobkatt013 posted:

A villain in Gotham with a gimmick? That's ridiculous!

Don't get me wrong, I loved the guy who killed people by handcuffing them to weather balloons. That guy was great. Especially because it sets up Gordon's disapproval of vigilantes. when Batman finally shows up, Gordon's gonna be like, "this 'Batman' is like that guy who handcuffed people to weather balloons. I didn't approve of the balloon man, and I don't approve of Batman"

six inch metal spike guy isn't as fun

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

boom boom boom posted:

There's a reason they eventually said "screw setting up real-ish foundations, let's get some actual supervillans in here"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This is about that show you like

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Bruceski posted:

There's a reason they eventually said "screw setting up real-ish foundations, let's get some actual supervillans in here"

Yeah, I just got to the Viper episode.

I gotta be honest, going from murderers with odd gimmicks to glowing green gas that gives people super strength but then turns them into jellyfish people is an escalation in craziness that really should warrant a bigger reaction from the characters.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

boom boom boom posted:

Sounds better than balloon man at least.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Lurdiak posted:

This is about that show you like

That's Agents of SHIELD fans to a T.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That's most of the shows people post about here.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
When it comes to politics, Americans wanted The West Wing. What we got was The Wire.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's primarily SHIELD but also anyone who thinks DW is actual quality television (I know there are some)

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

It's primarily SHIELD but also anyone who thinks DW is actual quality television (I know there are some)

:(

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Escobarbarian posted:

What if I like Doctor Who but don't care for Marvel's Agents of SHIELD?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Agents of SHIELD is about as good as The 100

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hakkesshu posted:

Agents of SHIELD is about as good as The 100

I agree, they're both excellent shows.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

GreenNight posted:

I agree, they're both excellent shows.

My exact sentiment

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Gonna squeeze in some more quick praise for the 100 while Toxx is probated just to piss him off:

The way they manage to blend together like a dozen different cliche sci-fi premises and turn them into something interesting is really awesome. Taking Jaha's storyline and managing to not only walk it back into relevance but also connect it to the grounder tribes was pretty elegant.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Do they ever get into the Court of Owls in Gotham? That seems perfect for this show

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

CobiWann posted:

What if I like Doctor Who but don't care for Marvel's Agents of SHIELD?

Then you have good taste in bad shows.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

Do they ever get into the Court of Owls in Gotham? That seems perfect for this show

It looked like they were going to with the first half of season 2 but instead they swerved into the Order of St Dumas.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

muscles like this? posted:

It looked like they were going to with the first half of season 2 but instead they swerved into the Order of St Dumas.

Wow, you can make a much worse swerve than that.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Criticism of The West Wing as being too idealistic is invalid. It's like saying Breaking Bad isn't realistic.

Criticism of it for focusing too much on white men is a little more reasonable but ignores the fact that government was more white and male even just 15 years ago.

It's not perfect, but it's definitely one of the best dramas of all time.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Josh Lyman posted:

Criticism of The West Wing as being too idealistic is invalid. It's like saying Breaking Bad isn't realistic.

Criticism of it for focusing too much on white men is a little more reasonable but ignores the fact that government was more white and male even just 15 years ago.

It's not perfect, but it's definitely one of the best dramas of all time.

Sure, if it were just being criticized as a show it would be unfair, but it's far more than just a show. It's inspired lots of people to get into politics, informed many more about its version of how politics works, and overshadows discussion in the way Mr Smith goes to Washington (to be fair, a far more pernicious bit of entertainment) used to. As such criticisms about its lack of realism and its hobbyhorses are valid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

whowhatwhere posted:

Sure, if it were just being criticized as a show it would be unfair, but it's far more than just a show. It's inspired lots of people to get into politics, informed many more about its version of how politics works, and overshadows discussion in the way Mr Smith goes to Washington (to be fair, a far more pernicious bit of entertainment) used to. As such criticisms about its lack of realism and its hobbyhorses are valid.

All the presidents man inspired people to get into journalism and then they learned the harsh truth of it. Its not a documentary and never meant to be. Attacking it's realism when it inspires people who learn later about the truth is pointless.

• Locked thread