Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You can rotate it with a line in config.txt can't you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

YouTuber posted:

I'd go so far to say that anything less than 4gb ram is entirely unacceptable for browsing the internet and light desktop work. Even with a lightweight desktop environment.

I have a Chromebook with 2GB of memory and it flies when browsing the web. Windows 10 on similar hardware is absolutely horrific, but with a lightweight OS and desktop it's perfectly fine. You can't have 20+ tabs open but it's fine for normal desktop use.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Prescription Combs posted:

Anyone managed to pick up a Pi 3 in the U.S. yet?

Mine is being delivered today.

I have zero plans for it, but lots of potential. I want to tinker with -something-

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Roundboy posted:

Mine is being delivered today.

I have zero plans for it, but lots of potential. I want to tinker with -something-

That's what I said with my original Pi. Don't me like me.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

It comes full circle boys

https://twitter.com/internetofshit/status/707181671028813824

content: my Pi3 is being delivered by Royal Mail in the next day

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

mod sassinator posted:

I have a Chromebook with 2GB of memory and it flies when browsing the web. Windows 10 on similar hardware is absolutely horrific, but with a lightweight OS and desktop it's perfectly fine. You can't have 20+ tabs open but it's fine for normal desktop use.

This. If you go kde or gnome on linux then yes it will be lovely and bloaty, but if you pick the right software carefully things will be fine. I've been using openbox and a collection of very lightweight software on my old atom netbook with 2 GB of RAM and it boots up in seconds and quickly checking out a wikipedia link, looking at a PDF or watching a youtube video is no problem. Wouldn't do stuff like trying to browse imgur or the aforementioned 20 tabs though.

I have a similar lightweight setup on my 5820k with 16 GB of RAM and not counting VMs and stuff, if I just generally browse around even with many, many tabs in firefox open, I barely go past 3 GB of memory usage. If you don't just blindly install some distro everyone else installs but carefully pick your software, you can have a very snappy experience with linux, even on older machines. This sort of customization and "having options" is like the biggest thing it has going for it in desktop usage and it's a pity not many people make use of it at all.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Moey posted:

That's what I said with my original Pi. Don't me like me.

My original pi is sitting on my dresser at home. I wanna do gpio stuff, but I don't know what. Maybe I'll figure it out by ripi 10

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Roundboy posted:

My original pi is sitting on my dresser at home. I wanna do gpio stuff, but I don't know what. Maybe I'll figure it out by ripi 10

hear hear!

I have 3 RpiB and a rpi2 as well as a whole host of Arduino Nanos, micros and a mega (with Ramps) although i don;t think i will ever make a reprap

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Making a reprap is way past what I am looknig forward to doing.

Maybe soon I'll get off my rear end and build an NHL goal light at some point. Biggest problem being there doesn't seem to be a good free online api to pull live data from.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

http://www.makershed.com/products/raspberry-pi-model-b-8gb

$15 for a B+ including 8gb card is pretty good.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Currently playing with 433 Mhz devices and the RPi3 - seems pretty straightforward with 433Utils and I've got the Pi3 doing fun things when the wireless doorbell is pressed.

Next on the agenda is having it listen to and record an external thermometer, and then an external passive infra-red sensor to trigger a cctv camera when someone comes to the door.

The RFSniffer from 433Utils seems to see some cheap remote control power sockets I've got, so I'll also be having a go a transmitting to them for some very basic home-automation.

I don't think I'll be using the 433Mhz stuff for anything that could burn the house down (like the central heating control) or try to replace a proper home alarm system, but it seems to have a lot of scope for some fun little projects.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Details? I actually have a craptastic doorbell I need to replace, and I'm about to go down the path of replacing but hooking up a Pi to the system sounds much cooler especially if I can inject to my plex box, etc

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mantle posted:

That is the 2014 model with only 0.5GB RAM and a single core cpu. It would make a good low end project (like replacing your doorbell) but there's not enough RAM on it to do computing type things like running a GUI desktop.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Roundboy posted:

Details? I actually have a craptastic doorbell I need to replace, and I'm about to go down the path of replacing but hooking up a Pi to the system sounds much cooler especially if I can inject to my plex box, etc

Some good info in this pdf - http://www.securipi.co.uk/remote-433-receivers.pdf

And I also cribbed some info from here http://www.instructables.com/id/Super-Simple-Raspberry-Pi-433MHz-Home-Automation/

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Mantle posted:

Very decent Risc OS system, especially if you'd like to play some old games.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Just noticed I'd been running my 433Mhz receiver on 5v and was pushing 5v into the GPIO data line - oops ! Well nothing has broken but I thought it was worth checking how it would perform at more appropriate for the RPi 3.3v before I started messing with a voltage splitter or level shifter.

The good news is that receiver looks ok when its just getting 3.3v. I've been wandering down the street pushing the wireless doorbell in my pocket and the RPi is still picking it up 30 meters away.

When I've finally finished changing things on the breadboard I'm tempted to use one of the Adafruit Perma-Proto Hats to make a more permanent solution.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Got my Pi3, and a nice C4Labs case to go with it (i like the wood aspect)

The an is a nice touch, but driving it off the 5v line the fan is way to loud for a small thing, so I need to see if the 3.,3v line will work, but there are no handy 3.3v pins next to ground i can easily plug this pumper into

I ordered a GPIO cable out, breadbard, some assorted LEDs, breadboard wires, etc, as well as a 16x2 backlit display. That should provide some hours of fun learning the python interface to it all and getting back int othe swing of things. I want to try some of that 433mhz stuff and maybe eventually build nice mame table.

Gonna spend so much @ part stores

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Does the Rpi actually need a fan?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hahaha the Pi 3 is $70 or more in Canada, gently caress me. :suicide:

I was going to get one as a consistent platform to learn ARM assembly on as well as for emulation and other gimmicky things but apparently not, jesus christ.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Does anyone know how the RPi3 performance compares with the Pine64, on paper at least?

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Hadlock posted:

That is the 2014 model with only 0.5GB RAM and a single core cpu. It would make a good low end project (like replacing your doorbell) but there's not enough RAM on it to do computing type things like running a GUI desktop.

But completely enough to run retrocomputing simulations. Retrocomputing as in PDP-11, VAX, IBM 370 (pre-XA) and such things. And the simulations run quite faster than the original machines.

This guy used a BeagleBone, but there is no reason to not do the same with an old RPi:

http://retrocmp.com/projects/decbox/161-decbox-integrating-beaglebone-vt100-and-simh

This is also very cool:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/pidp-8i-remaking-the-pdp-8i/

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Chas McGill posted:

Does the Rpi actually need a fan?

no? but depending on what I end up doing it doesnt hurt to have one for airflow. i don't think this is gonna get nearly that hot though. its unhooked at the moment.

EpicCareMadBitch
Dec 20, 2008
To the guy that was building one of thse magic mirrors a few pages back; I was wondering how it turned out.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Pi doesn't need a fan, unless you've got it overclocked. And if you plug it into the 3.3v line, I'd bet good money the electrical noise would cause weird issues with the CPU and occasional resets

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Apparently the Pi 3 can get itself hot enough that it starts scaling back the CPU clock (around 80C) but you need to be stressing the cores pretty hard. Adafruit did some testing on this yesterday. http://youtu.be/xErhrKptuy4

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

fordan posted:

Apparently the Pi 3 can get itself hot enough that it starts scaling back the CPU clock (around 80C) but you need to be stressing the cores pretty hard. Adafruit did some testing on this yesterday. http://youtu.be/xErhrKptuy4

Mine is idling at 50*c and heads straight for the thermal throttle at moderate loads. This is with some heat sinks attached.

The place I ordered from might be RMAing mine out, as most people are seeing lower temps with their Pi 3s.

Dodgy silicon or something out there.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I use the PI2 to power the mp3 encoding portion of http://cookwithkevin.com/midi/index.html

Just ripped off Rasbian the other day, switched to Gentoo, it's working a fuckload better. Had all sorts of odd issues with Rasbian running iceast for more than a few days at a time. Random reboots, audio would eventually cut out, etc. Gentoo gives you much better control over the shovelware that ships with most Linux distros.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
I've been using gentoo for years but isn't it incredibly slow on a PI to compile all the packages? Why not arch? Seems to be a fair compromise. (even though arch's pacman is a little too simple sometimes for my tastes)

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 12, 2016

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Police Automaton posted:

I've been using gentoo for years but isn't it incredibly slow on a PI to compile all the packages? Why not arch? Seems to be a fair compromise. (even though arch's pacman is a little too simple sometimes for my tastes)

I'd have to check Arch out. Never used it. Gentoo is slightly slow but installs quick because you do the initial install from a PC onto an sd card. Stuff compiles faster than you'd think for a sub 40 dollar PC.

Not doing anything besides console stuff though.

*insert long tirade about systemd, frame buffer consoles, udev forking, pulse audio and extra layers of complexity and how nothing ever works right anymore*

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
Well as someone who's been using gentoo for I think it's about ten years and is still on his first gentoo installation (but third computer) and has been using arch only for the Pi -

arch linux arm has the same philosophy to not came laden down with crap (although systemd is the default and I never bothered trying to force anything else in, but it's not so bad and certainly not the end of the world like some people say) and gives you a fairly simplistic package manager called pacman. (not as complex as emerge/portage, also a lot more stupid, but usable) The package landscape (didn't try any inofficial repos) at least with arch linux arm feels like gentoo would feel like if you had a lot more unmasked, but with slightly less breakage. I don't know how else to explain it. Sometimes there are a few odd choices in what's gotten compiled into some programs and what dependencies get pulled in as a result and that needs some adjustment coming from gentoo, but overall it's fairly okay. (with some stuff that works in console but also has X support for example, there are then two different packages) I like it, and the transition effort when you come from gentoo is fairly small. Also pre-compiled packages of course. Helpful on Platforms which do not have a lot of power, like the Pi.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 13, 2016

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Some very basic Qs here.

I've picked up a RP3 with a view to have it Stream music and vids from my PC (Kodi), stream Steam where possible (Moonlight) and play retro games (Retropie). After I have some basic everyday use out of it I hope to learn the coding behidn it to do more house automation stuff, but entertainment for now.

Everything I saw on Retropie talked about putting the image onto an SD, so does that mean I can't have Retopie on my normal Raspbian set up which I have Kodi and Moonlight set up on? Do I need to switch between SD Cards for the different purposes?

Secondly, is the MPEG licence a must buy for any standard video streaming from my PC? I got Kodi working but was getting sound no image, and no amount of hardware accelration fiddling was fixing it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BerryBoot lets you select which OS you want to boot into, not sure if it's available on the Pi3 or has everything you want but worth to check into.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I got my Pi3s a few days ago. I'd like to experiment with replacing my HTPC/emulator (monstrous and power hungry old gaming PC) with the Pi. Any suggestions on getting started?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Fat Turkey posted:

Secondly, is the MPEG licence a must buy for any standard video streaming from my PC? I got Kodi working but was getting sound no image, and no amount of hardware accelration fiddling was fixing it.

Check your gpu/cpu ram split kodi needs (i think) gpu at 128 gb or more

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Fat Turkey posted:

Some very basic Qs here.

I've picked up a RP3 with a view to have it Stream music and vids from my PC (Kodi), stream Steam where possible (Moonlight) and play retro games (Retropie). After I have some basic everyday use out of it I hope to learn the coding behidn it to do more house automation stuff, but entertainment for now.

Everything I saw on Retropie talked about putting the image onto an SD, so does that mean I can't have Retopie on my normal Raspbian set up which I have Kodi and Moonlight set up on? Do I need to switch between SD Cards for the different purposes?

If you're running from a Linux box you could probably stream audio directly to Pulseaudio over the network. Doing the same thing but via Bluetooth is also a possibility.

Download the paprefs and pavucontrol packages. I'm not sure how Raspbian has dealt with pulseaudio splitting bluetooth off into it's own package so you may have to search for that.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
I think my RPi2 has died - I've got OpenELEC installed and it doesn't get past that test pattern with the four colours. I've removed any USB devices, tried a new SD card, power cable and power supply. Is there anything else I can try before I buy a new Pi?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

bigis posted:

I think my RPi2 has died - I've got OpenELEC installed and it doesn't get past that test pattern with the four colours. I've removed any USB devices, tried a new SD card, power cable and power supply. Is there anything else I can try before I buy a new Pi?

try reblowing the card first, my first pi would boot up, and then die as soon as it was up.
as it seemed to have power issues when powering up, then after a while it did nothing

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
I'm finally getting myself a raspi once the raspi 3 is back in stock. It'll just be the board so are there any recommended accessories that I should grab at the same time?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Knowlue posted:

I'm finally getting myself a raspi once the raspi 3 is back in stock. It'll just be the board so are there any recommended accessories that I should grab at the same time?

You will need an SD card and some way to power it over Micro-USB at a minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Knowlue posted:

^^^ and a keyboard/mouse. A powered USB hub is never a bad idea either. While I'm thinking of it, has anyone had any luck getting those logitech unifying bluetooth keyboards/mice to all connect to a single USB plug on the pi? There's some tool that supposedly does it for you, but I couldn't get it to detect my devices the last time I messed with it.