Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

morallyobjected posted:

I don't understand people who have this problem. the buttons don't feel the same at all, they're far enough apart, so how are you pressing a touchpad instead of a small tactile button next to it?

They're not far apart at all to me. If I'm playing a game where I hit start frequently it happens all the time. Basically when I got to hit it I swing my thumb up from the left and the button is close enough (and my thumb angled down and to the left) that it presses both buttons ALL the time.

I mean it's really only a problem where you are accessing it a lot and try to start doing it faster (aka restarting challenges in Just Cause 3 or something).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

is crab hands a meme in this thread yet?

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010
I'm so thankful that my hands are perfectly suited to the DS4. I've never had any issues hitting a button I did not intend to hit and, while I don't think it's a mind blowing feature, like the touchpad.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The DS4 is the one thing about the PS4 I dislike, but I've never liked the dualshock design. The Xbone controller's actually pretty nice.

Also, Broforce rules except that lovely controller bug.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i still can't get over how much tech and doodads made it into the ds4 for the same price as the bonetroller which couldn't even manage a headphone jack at launch and will never sell with included battery pack or wireless pc support.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

Real hurthling! posted:

Spring is looking huge now with

Salt and Sanctuary,
Invisible inc.
and mother loving housemarque's next game alientation (holy poo poo the particles! gently caress the other two games i listed i can wait to play 2d souls gimmick and 5 dollar steam sale srpg but 4 player coop alien shooting with extreme lighting and particles is my poo poo)

I wasn't interested in Alientation until I found out it was Housemarque. I'm even more excited now.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Real hurthling! posted:

i still can't get over how much tech and doodads made it into the ds4 for the same price as the bonetroller which couldn't even manage a headphone jack at launch and will never sell with included battery pack or wireless pc support.

also not needing firmware updates, because what the gently caress is that all about

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Real hurthling! posted:

And despite the lack of tech in it, the bonetroller needed firmware updates to function properly. It amazes me that people shell out $150 for the elite version of it too.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Friends, I am here to tell you we made a huge mistake*! As an enjoyer of BroForce I must admit that Assault Android Cactus (So far) is loving incredible.

As a Twin Stick / Bullet Hell "not fan" I cannot believe how much I love AAC.

* or maybe it was not a mistake because AAC is very worth paying for.

Man, it's so good!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

The DS4 is the one thing about the PS4 I dislike, but I've never liked the dualshock design. The Xbone controller's actually pretty nice.

Also, Broforce rules except that lovely controller bug.

I always liked the Xbox controller better and I thought the DS3 was ripe garbage but I love the DS4. It's my favorite controller ever. Took me a few weeks to get used to though back at launch.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

NESguerilla posted:

I voted for broforce, but honestly in retrospect both of the other games look more solid. Assault action cactus looks like the best one.

someday people will learn to listen to me

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That post I made earlier about how I like the xbone's thumbsticks but the PS4's everything else got me thinking. I wondered if it was possible to do some mad science so I looked up a quick overview of how to take the controller apart, and after pulling out my dusty old xbone controller to do some exploratory surgery...

...the transplant was a massive success! This feels much better and it works perfectly.

Here are some choice in-progress pics if you're into electronics gore:

Note the paper dixie plates standing in for operating tables.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

CJacobs posted:

That post I made earlier about how I like the xbone's thumbsticks but the PS4's everything else got me thinking. I wondered if it was possible to do some mad science so I looked up a quick overview of how to take the controller apart, and after pulling out my dusty old xbone controller to do some exploratory surgery...

...the transplant was a massive success! This feels much better and it works perfectly.

Here are some choice in-progress pics if you're into electronics gore:

Note the paper dixie plates standing in for operating tables.

I really want to do this. How long did it take you?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Watrick posted:

I really want to do this. How long did it take you?

It took an hour, but that's partially because I had to take a quick trip to the store to buy a torx screwdriver since I didn't have any small enough ones at my house (it was 3 dollars). Here are the two videos I used for taking apart the controllers, putting them back together after was real easy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXyoH50xteE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ei3HA6Dwgc

Here's a short list of the stuff you need:

- preferably something magnetic because there are a number of teeny tiny screws and a couple springs
- a very small phillips head screwdriver, for the ps4 controller's teeny tiny screws
- a flat head screwdriver either for prying apart the xbone controller's tough-rear end shell, or getting its screws off if you don't have a torx screwdriver
- if you DO have a torx screwdriver for the love of god use that instead
- needle nose pliers or just the normal kind, for removing the ribbon cord that attaches the ps4 controller's circuit board to the touchpad

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I use xbone sticks on mine as well and it's massively better. I guess when I said it when it was my favorite controller I forgot to mention that I hate the stock thumb sticks and pretty much forgot they existed because I haven't used them in years.

Does your touch pad work? :v:

Edit : the actual touch part I mean not the button click.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 9, 2016

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i just use those stick extender things you can buy for like 10bux and they are pretty good

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I hate the touch pad because I want to hit select but then my MASSIVE HANDS accidentally chop a support beam in half and the roof collapses in my house, but I am protected by my HUGE DICK

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Nobody wants splinters in their dick, man. That's why the touch pad was a bad idea.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CJacobs posted:

the touch pad

Well. Does yours still work? I'm on the edge of my seat here man. I'm guessing there's an 80% chance it doesn't.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
Ok so someone is trying to sell me their 500gb ps4 with two controllers and no games for $250. Is that a decent deal?

Virginia Slams fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 9, 2016

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

Grody posted:

Ok so someone is trying to sell me their 500gb ps4 with two controllers and no games for $250 Is that a decent deal?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

NESguerilla posted:

Well. Does yours still work? I'm on the edge of my seat here man. I'm guessing there's an 80% chance it doesn't.
its not that hard to reseat the ribbon cable man. just gotta make sure it isnt twisted.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Grody posted:

Ok so someone is trying to sell me their 500gb ps4 with two controllers and no games. Is that a decent deal?

lol when you figure out which button is edit and get a price in there we will get back to you

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

a new ps4 with one controller and a game costs 349.

gamestop sells refurbs with one controller and no games for 329

its probably a good deal unless its broken.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Is it too early to start complaining about April's PS+ games?

Wasn't some goon in the Dead Star beta? How is the game? I hope it is closer to another Rocket League than a Secret Ponchos.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

NESguerilla posted:

Oh, it's totally fine. The only thing that could've gone wrong with it was scratching the ribbon cable that hooks it up to the circuit board. The touch pad can't actually disconnect from the faceplate without removing the circuit board entirely, so you don't have to touch it, and gently caress if I was gonna do that if I didn't have to.

edit: I did have one problem that caused me to have to partially take it apart again though; the R2 button didn't work. There are these little rubber nubs that cover the physical buttons underneath the R2/L2 shoulder buttons, and it got misaligned when I was putting the spring/button back on. So if someone DOES do the thing I did, make sure you check for that so you don't have to grumble your way to the garage to get your screwdrivers back out.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

grrarg posted:

Wasn't some goon in the Dead Star beta? How is the game? I hope it is closer to another Rocket League than a Secret Ponchos.

I said earlier that April was going to suck. Perhaps I should predict May?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

grrarg posted:

every comment is hilarious.

videos looked cool. i'm excited to try it but doubt i'll play a ton of it after a week or so its just a twin stick shooter.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I've been looking forward to that game so I Hope Its Good. Everyone says its like Subspace.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the trailer looks kind of cool i guess? 10v10 multi could be good? i dunno i didnt really get much of a sense of what the gameplay was like aside from move and shoot. is it team deathmatch or some other objective?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iMPuq3g47aA&feature=em-upload_owner

The Division's version of a day 1 Destiny dance video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Cozq0fPre5Y&feature=em-upload_owner

Awkward/Stubborn computer usage not unlike Jim and Dwight from The Office.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also it's probably a first generation if that matters to you

E: uh to the guy wondering if 250 is a good deal

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 9, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Awesome! posted:

its not that hard to reseat the ribbon cable man. just gotta make sure it isnt twisted.

I know it's just really easy to put it back together and realize you pulled it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Also it's probably a first generation if that matters to you

E: uh to the guy wondering if 250 is a good deal

yea you gotta be careful about the disc eject thing if its an old one with fake buttons

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Awesome! posted:

yea you gotta be careful about the disc eject thing if its an old one with fake buttons

if the hdd cover is glossy say no way bossy. if the cover is matte, you should be all over that

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I opened my DS4 and couldn't put it back together again after an hour and looking at tutorial videos so I gave up

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I opened my DS4 and couldn't put it back together again after an hour and looking at tutorial videos so I gave up

lol rip

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

grrarg posted:

It was an early-access beta and I bought it and I'm excited that it's the game of the month for April because now I'm getting my money back. Sucks for yall tho I guess

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

goferchan posted:

Sucks for yall tho I guess
why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

goferchan posted:

It was an early-access beta and I bought it and I'm excited that it's the game of the month for April because now I'm getting my money back. Sucks for yall tho I guess

lol so hype for my interest free loan to get paid back in store credit. s my d, nerds!

• Locked thread