Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

day one MMOs at their finest

(I'm liking the game so far but god drat that was funny)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Why couldn't they have two laptops?

Or, hell, three??

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

yes but nobody is going to play it enough to have their behavior encouraged because it sucks. its the equivalent of anti-abortion hiphop

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

corn in the bible posted:

yes but nobody is going to play it enough to have their behavior encouraged because it sucks. its the equivalent of anti-abortion hiphop

Untrue.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If you want to be angry about a video game protagonist being a psychopath and yet being treated like a cool dude by the other characters, please take it out on Nathan Drake because I hate his smug loving face.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Jay Rust posted:

If you want to be angry about a video game protagonist being a psychopath and yet being treated like a cool dude by the other characters, please take it out on Nathan Drake because I hate his smug loving face.

Video Games* are tearing apart the fabric of america

*not the moderator

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jay Rust posted:

uncharted 2 is the only one i've played but nathan is so loving reprehensible in it

i know we were going to gently caress over our boss, but how could the guy who works for our boss and who offered me the job and who i told i was going to gently caress over our boss betray me to him? what a jerk

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Jay Rust posted:

At least he has a cool uncle.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I never got into the hitman series that much. The levels felt really sloppy and finicky when it comes to people detecting you or not compared to something like metal gear.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Watch_Dogs constantly has to contradict its own cutscenes with phone calls immediately after because the game can't decide if Aiden is supposed to be extreme or not, so he hurts his friends and they call to forgive him.

Also he can't not steal from all glove boxes. Noble antihero must commit petty theft. The whole game is bad.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
https://gfycat.com/DopeyRaggedHerring

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

The "moral choice" at the veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery end is so loving stupid, too, especially since (a) you're doing this now? (b) the guy pretty much says and it's pretty obvious that whatever choice you end up making is pointless

Like, if you wanted to make a point that ham-handed moral choices in video games are dumb then okay but the rest of the game either undermines it big time or is so dark no one ends up really caring

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Watch Dogs does have a French Canadian character, which is weirdly uncommon

Edit: maybe not that weird

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ubisoft Montreal loves putting in easter eggs about being from Montreal.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

Why couldn't they have two laptops?

Or, hell, three??

It didnt occur to them.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

corn in the bible posted:

uncharted 2 is the only one i've played but nathan is so loving reprehensible in it

i know we were going to gently caress over our boss, but how could the guy who works for our boss and who offered me the job and who i told i was going to gently caress over our boss betray me to him? what a jerk

Nathan Drake is a scoundrel and the story presents him as such. That's why he's so lovable. To me. I would have his digital adopted babies.

Aidan is an airsoft enthusiast redditor who was given a magic script kiddy phone and a bunch of guns so he could go do stupid digital heists. The story-telling in Watch_Dogs is such a wasted opportunity. They even hinted in early previews at him being a white hat sys admin who became a hacktivist after some personal tragedy but they apparently gave up entirely on presenting him as an interesting person. Maybe they figured their protagonist's personality should match the garbage gameplay. FAU mentioned the terrible use of stealth but one of the things that stood out to me was the mechanic for escaping the authorities where weird yellow spotlights would cross your radar and you had to dodge them with some really awkward frogger bullshit.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 8, 2016

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Now I'm trying to think of a protagonist in an open-world GTA style game who isn't morally repugnant. I guess the dude from Red Faction: Guerilla is good since since he's fighting an unjust colonial regime but he does that by destroying infrastructure, killing natives, and being complicit in torture so idk.

Same for the guy in The Saboteur fighting the Nazis as they occupy Paris, though he is a smoker :v:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

Now I'm trying to think of a protagonist in an open-world GTA style game who isn't morally repugnant. I guess the dude from Red Faction: Guerilla is good since since he's fighting an unjust colonial regime but he does that by destroying infrastructure, killing natives, and being complicit in torture so idk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcUBI-YVRY8

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Sleeveless posted:

Same for the guy in The Saboteur fighting the Nazis as they occupy Paris, though he is a smoker :v:
Wei Shen from Sleeping Dogs to an extent. Mainly because they do a quality job of making him likable and consistent enough so he's even more frightening when he freaking loses and shoves a Triad member's face into a tablesaw.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Sleeveless posted:

It's part of that whole "narrative v. gameplay" dichotomy developers have to wrestle with where they want to have completely open player-driven worlds but the only way to justify you being able to kill civilians, steal vehicles and cause property damage is making your character an amoral rear end in a top hat.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'm finally out of work and going home to play Division :getin:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skeezy posted:

I'm finally out of work and going home to play Division :getin:

No cutting.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Accordion Man posted:

Wei Shen from Sleeping Dogs to an extent. Mainly because they do a quality job of making him likable and consistent enough so he's even more frightening when he freaking loses and shoves a Triad member's face into a tablesaw.

Mostly agree, but he's a creep in that one mission where he goes off on one of his flings.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

The mission where he was following his girlfriend around lost a lot of impact because they were having a confrontation and I literally couldn't remember who she was.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Motto posted:

Mostly agree, but he's a creep in that one mission where he goes off on one of his flings.
It's a bit jarring at first, (Probably due to the romance cuts) but it ends up being another example of Wei being a scary unstable dude deep down.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

It was just a one-sidequest stand, game. Don't make this more than it was.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Lady Naga posted:

Actually a game that encourages lovely societal behaviour is far worse than one that simply "plays bad".

lol that's very true like one time I watched american psycho and then I started beating up homeless people

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I knew Wei was pretty messed up when he kept breaking the legs of old ladies for no reasob

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lady Naga posted:

Media can subtly reinforce previously held belief systems in horrifically negative ways and it's a lot more insidious than "bad games make bad people" actually.

I am very skeptical of this line of thinking, because it's the exact sort that justifies censorship and dominates the more irritating elements of the political left. Moral guardians have attempted to convince us that our entertainment is the cause of our sins for decades now and it's been nonsense since the start.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I've been trying to play SMTII on my phone. The fan translation by Aeon Genesis is actually not too bad but then you get into demon conversations and then everything becomes.......not......good.

"You don't want to fight me?"
> YES
NO

Ambiguous syntax much???? (Actually I'm pretty sure it worse than this, I wish I screenshotted it)

There was also something along the lines of "What do you want from me?" with a YES/NO answer. The options popped up after I picked "Yes" but jesus. I know demon conversations were confusing, but not like this.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Lady Naga posted:

Media can subtly reinforce previously held belief systems in horrifically negative ways and it's a lot more insidious than "bad games make bad people" actually.

Ok, I am going to hack into national tv and transmit footage from DOA Extreme 24/7 so one day my country will be full of good looking women playing volleyball in tiny bikinis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiVMmAk45oY

I swear I'll invite all of you when my plan is succesful and I get the nobel.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I just ordered the Division and I'm probably gonna buy Stardew Valley later and I should stop watching videos of new games

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

PantsBandit posted:

Video Games* are tearing apart the fabric of america

*not the moderator

Are you sure? VideoGames* still does not have a believable alibi for the day when JFK was assassinated.

*yes, the moderator

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

one time a friend and i were arrested and imprisoned and each given solitary confinement with no means of communicating with each other. simultaneously, the prosecutors offered each of us a bargain. if we testified against each other, we would both serve 2 years in prison. if she betrayed me but i remained silent, she would be set free and i would serve 3 years in prison (and vice versa). if we both remained silent, both of us would only serve 1 year in prison (on the lesser charge). because i've played a lot of video games i knew to steal a car and run her over, then shoot the prosecutor

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I am very skeptical of this line of thinking, because it's the exact sort that justifies censorship and dominates the more irritating elements of the political left. Moral guardians have attempted to convince us that our entertainment is the cause of our sins for decades now and it's been nonsense since the start.

Hey man I played Doom once and now I'm a devil worshiper.

oddium posted:

one time a friend and i were arrested and imprisoned and each given solitary confinement with no means of communicating with each other. simultaneously, the prosecutors offered each of us a bargain. if we testified against each other, we would both serve 2 years in prison. if she betrayed me but i remained silent, she would be set free and i would serve 3 years in prison (and vice versa). if we both remained silent, both of us would only serve 1 year in prison (on the lesser charge). because i've played a lot of video games i knew to steal a car and run her over, then shoot the prosecutor
I was that friend

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

limaCAT posted:

Ok, I am going to hack into national tv and transmit footage from DOA Extreme 24/7 so one day my country will be full of good looking women playing volleyball in tiny bikinis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiVMmAk45oY

I swear I'll invite all of you when my plan is succesful and I get the nobel.

:negative:

Please also play tekken intermittently, so the guys are all buff and not fat slobs in ten years. Gay guys need eye candy too.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Ravane posted:

:negative:

Please also play tekken intermittently, so the guys are all buff and not fat slobs in ten years. Gay guys need eye candy too.

Ok, but I am hacking the Swiss tv for that.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I've played a lot of Ace Attorney so I feel qualified to defend you.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

limaCAT posted:

Are you sure? VideoGames* still does not have a believable alibi for the day when JFK was assassinated.

*yes, the moderator
He was busy hiding the evidence of the time I assassinated JFK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I mean we were playing Goldeneye 64 in the apartment we share.

• Locked thread