Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Even the The Onion couldn't make a more perfect last two sentences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

To be fair, the download service they use for the split archives is actually decently fast. I got them the other day at like 1.5MB/s. It's not like you're queuing a million files that download at 50kb/s. Their free alternative is entirely reasonable. Taken on its own, the way they have things set up seems perfectly fair to me, if you want to pay a one time $1 fee (I don't think it's per update) to get slightly more convenient downloads and to give the modders a beer, then that seems fine. The legal disclaimer and all that protectiveness is a little daft, though.

Just for the record, your dollar gets you a download link with an expiration date. New version? New buck.

On one hand it's not a big deal, but on the other hand jesus just charge me five bucks or whatever and give me permanent access to the big boy server so I don't have to dick around with PayPal every time.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
So Bus Sim 16 isn't getting much love here, but from the videos I've seen it doesn't look abysmal. You can hire employees that run routes on their own, right? Sometimes I like having a sim game running in the background while I work, just occasionally jumping into the action during breaks. Would BS16 fit the bill for that sort of experience?

edit: oops double post, my posting career thrown under the bus

edit2: Just read that you can't actually see any of your owned, employee-driven buses making stops in the game world? Acceptable for truck sims, but in such a small city map that seems dumb as heck.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 8, 2016

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Does the France DLC have a release date yet?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Trustworthy posted:

So Bus Sim 16 isn't getting much love here, but from the videos I've seen it doesn't look abysmal. You can hire employees that run routes on their own, right? Sometimes I like having a sim game running in the background while I work, just occasionally jumping into the action during breaks. Would BS16 fit the bill for that sort of experience?

edit: oops double post, my posting career thrown under the bus

edit2: Just read that you can't actually see any of your owned, employee-driven buses making stops in the game world? Acceptable for truck sims, but in such a small city map that seems dumb as heck.

Not really, your drivers only drive when you drive, and also you need to drive a route before they can drive it and make you money for that route.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Kilonum posted:

Not really, your drivers only drive when you drive, and also you need to drive a route before they can drive it and make you money for that route.

Grrr, why do recent simulators always gently caress over my plans to let them play themselves for stretches of time? I just want to let a pretty world run--let my fake business eke out a little fake money--while being productive for a bit IRL. Farming Simulator with extensive Courseplay is still the only thing I've found that scratches that (admittedly weird) itch. :smith:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Trustworthy posted:

Grrr, why do recent simulators always gently caress over my plans to let them play themselves for stretches of time? I just want to let a pretty world run--let my fake business eke out a little fake money--while being productive for a bit IRL. Farming Simulator with extensive Courseplay is still the only thing I've found that scratches that (admittedly weird) itch. :smith:

If you fired up ETS2 and turned off fatigue simulation, you could just sit in your turned-off truck and let time pass.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

FredMSloniker posted:

If you fired up ETS2 and turned off fatigue simulation, you could just sit in your turned-off truck and let time pass.
If you're in town, and not moving, is there time compression?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If you're in town, and not moving, is there time compression?

There is. It's not as large as it is moving on the freeway, but even stopped in town is 3x time compression. I'm not sure if you get better at a rest stop on the freeway.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

FredMSloniker posted:

There is. It's not as large as it is moving on the freeway, but even stopped in town is 3x time compression. I'm not sure if you get better at a rest stop on the freeway.

Why not just park in the middle of the freeway? Traffic will just honk and won't go fast enough to cause damage if they get mad enough to bump you.

Edit: also if you own two garages, you can fast travel back and forth and force time to keep advancing. The further away the two garages, the more time wasted each travel.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I thought the time acceleration was also tied to truck speed. I have no source for this and may be making it up.

I know you can change the sleep duration via console commands and sleep for a very long time if you really want to accelerate time. You could also just cheat in money if it matters that much to you.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
It's based on location. It's fun to take half an hour to fill up at those remote gas stations in ATS.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I will say after a hundred hours of playing on the vanilla map, Promods + Rusmap really is a breath of fresh air. I actually enjoy driving through Germany now.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Germany is boring and samey, but drat if I don't like those wide highways of theirs. There aren't a lot of other places I can do 150 km/h and not flip over the truck during turns.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Germany tends to be the bread and butter of ETS2 without mods, but I think aside from that stretch near Frankfurt with the airport it's pretty dull. The fast roads are better than stopping every three miles at a manual tollbooth like in base map France, though.

Given the local detail in Scandinavia and ATS I do think it'd be nice if they gave the original map an overhaul.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Looks like ATS had a minor update today, and added two new achievements

Silver State which is visiting all ten cities in Nevada (Does not automatically unlock)

Gold Fever Deliver cargo to both quarries in Nevada (Does not automatically unlock)

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Germany and the UK are pretty much straight up ported from UK Trucksim and i'm pretty sure German Truck sim. They are the oldest parts of the vanilla map and it realy shows. I honestly wouldnt count on them overhauling the whole map now though, so just use promods. Honestly I cant play the vanilla map anymore, even the small improvements to the uk like the few real motorway exits that promods add make it feel more realistic.

Plus germany is redone very well, I love driving through Hamburg in promods.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Just checked Steam's 'new releases' page for today and saw a listing for Euro Truck Simulator workshop upload tool. I guess that update may be dropping this week.

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Just checked Steam's 'new releases' page for today and saw a listing for Euro Truck Simulator workshop upload tool. I guess that update may be dropping this week.
It's out now as a beta patch: http://blog.scssoft.com/2016/03/euro-truck-simulator-2-update-123-in.html

Also, the Steam workshop page is up, not sure if it was visible before now but here's a link to that as well: https://steamcommunity.com/app/227300/workshop/

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Faraday Cage posted:

It's out now as a beta patch: http://blog.scssoft.com/2016/03/euro-truck-simulator-2-update-123-in.html

Also, the Steam workshop page is up, not sure if it was visible before now but here's a link to that as well: https://steamcommunity.com/app/227300/workshop/

Finally, I can add 165 lights to my truck.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

duz posted:

Finally, I can add 165 lights] air horns to my truck.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
If I mod a floppy dildo dash decoration do I need the dash decoration DLC?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I was just on a 2 week vacation where we drove around a fair bit of the country and kayaked around and such, and for whatever bizarre reason all I could think about on the drive back was playing truck sim. Like I hadn't gotten enough driving in the last 2 weeks (around 4k miles.) I did enjoy looking at all the trucks and trying to pick out the in-game trucks, which I could never really do with ETS2 since they're not in the states really.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

1.2 Beta for ATS is now live, adds to ATS the same things the 1.23 beta adds to ETS2 (workshop, reworked rimzzz)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

shortspecialbus posted:

I did enjoy looking at all the trucks and trying to pick out the in-game trucks, which I could never really do with ETS2 since they're not in the states really.

There was a Scania of some kind parked on my street the other day and I felt deeply pleased to see it.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Jazzycat is going to update all his trailers after the patches launch ie: out of beta.

Wonder if this means he's going to move to the Steam Workshop, which may be hard, depends on the maximum size for the workshop, or if he's going to keep it standalone.

Also wonder of ProMods is going to move to the Workshop. Probably not because they need that adfly money. All those pennies.

Speaking of ProMods, I gave it a shot. The quality still needs a bit of work. It's much better than slamming into invisible walls.

Major towns are impressively large. No longer does it take less than 5 minutes to drive through it (real time). The downside is that often cargo pickups are also a fair distance away. I'm not going to be using it until after they would update it to 1.23

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

IAmTheRad posted:

Also wonder of ProMods is going to move to the Workshop. Probably not because they need that adfly money. All those pennies.

Maps aren't supported in the workshop yet so they can keep raking in those pennies.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Beta got updated again. They hide the changelog on their forums. You know the basics of the update, but it's at 1.23.0.3 now.

Public beta 1.23.0.1
Fixed possible crash if city data is not set properly.

Public beta 1.23.0.2
Localization updated.
Fixed buses not spawning in Sweden and Denmark.
Fixed hallowen paintjob on various trucks.

Public beta 1.23.0.3
Engine brake toggle reintroduced and linked to engine brake power selector (US style control)

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

IAmTheRad posted:

Public beta 1.23.0.3
Engine brake toggle reintroduced and linked to engine brake power selector (US style control)
That explains why my engine brake stopped working today.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Anyone know how long it takes for insurance percentages to drop? I'm up at about 30% now.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Since there's not an active sim thread anymore, but the old ETS thread occasionally functioned as a stand-in, I thought I'd drop this here: http://sailaway.world/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TpVCAgLqVY

It's a very very early version of a Unity-based real-time ocean sailing simulator. I signed up for the beta a couple days ago and got a download link today. There's not much to it at the moment, and the Unity interface is janky as gently caress, but I'm still having fun tinkering around. Mostly I just put on the automatic sail helper thingy on and try to follow along, learning how the different ropes affect the sails in different ways. I looooooove ship stuff, but when it comes to the actual mechanics of sails and rigging and poo poo I'm a novice at best.

Definitely ignore this weird thing unless you:
1. Like sailboats.
2. Are into sims that peddle in pedantic minutiae. Best case scenario, this eventually turns into a sort of "OMSI of the Ocean," stirring in some pretty unique real-time/live map/live weather components.
3. Are a freak like me, someone who likes his simulators so slow that they can also function as screensavers when he's busy doing other things.

Anyway, judging by the numbers of people following its social media presence, Sailaway isn't getting much attention, so I thought I'd namedrop it. I think the dev has some neat ideas for a boat simulator, and so far he doesn't seem like a dickhead.

OKAY BACK TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED TRUCKIN' (MAN TGX 440 is the best truck for manly and womanly badasses; discuss)

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 29, 2016

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

SCS just linked this on their Facebook page

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/skrs/skrs-shifter-knob-for-american-truck-simulator

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Trustworthy posted:

Since there's not an active sim thread anymore, but the old ETS thread occasionally functioned as a stand-in, I thought I'd drop this here: http://sailaway.world/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TpVCAgLqVY

It's a very very early version of a Unity-based real-time ocean sailing simulator. I signed up for the beta a couple days ago and got a download link today. There's not much to it at the moment, and the Unity interface is janky as gently caress, but I'm still having fun tinkering around. Mostly I just put on the automatic sail helper thingy on and try to follow along, learning how the different ropes affect the sails in different ways. I looooooove ship stuff, but when it comes to the actual mechanics of sails and rigging and poo poo I'm a novice at best.

Definitely ignore this weird thing unless you:
1. Like sailboats.
2. Are into sims that peddle in pedantic minutiae. Best case scenario, this eventually turns into a sort of "OMSI of the Ocean," stirring in some pretty unique real-time/live map/live weather components.
3. Are a freak like me, someone who likes his simulators so slow that they can also function as screensavers when he's busy doing other things.

Anyway, judging by the numbers of people following its social media presence, Sailaway isn't getting much attention, so I thought I'd namedrop it. I think the dev has some neat ideas for a boat simulator, and so far he doesn't seem like a dickhead.

OKAY BACK TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED TRUCKIN' (MAN TGX 440 is the best truck for manly and womanly badasses; discuss)

I've wanted a pedantically realistic sailing simulator for a while, thanks for the hot tip!

Oh jesus their website is super jank too aaaaa

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Is there any truck upgrade I should get besides cosmetic ones? Or should I just save up and get a better truck altogether / save up for a new garage/more trucks?

I have the first truck you can afford, an el cheapo Scania one.

gently caress, I'm actually thinking this may be interesting. Am... am I getting old? Is this how it goes? :ohdear:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

The best upgrade you can make is to get a better engine. More Horse Power, the better those heavy loads will go. It will also help if you change to a transmission with a retarder, so that if you decide to obey the law you won't be caught going down at 100 km/h on a 90 km/h road where the speed camera is on the bottom of the hill.

A different chassis will give you slightly more traction. 4x2 is okay, but heavier loads will tax it. 6x2-4 has the best maneuverability. 6x4 gives you the best control over your truck. By that I mean you can be going at 140 km/h and do a sharp turn and it will be really hard to completely lose control of your truck. Of course all of these come with a cost. 6x4 has the smallest fuel tank. You'll be stopping for gas much more often. 4x2 has a huge tank, but don't you want to have the best stuff?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
The most important upgrade is a lightbar filled to the brim with lights. You need to announce your presence to all the enemies.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Largepotato posted:

The most important upgrade is a lightbar filled to the brim with lights. You need to announce your presence to all the enemies.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Largepotato posted:

Oh, that was the first thing I got. Two, in fact. I AM THE LIGHTBRINGER.

IAmTheRad posted:

The best upgrade you can make is to get a better engine. More Horse Power, the better those heavy loads will go. It will also help if you change to a transmission with a retarder, so that if you decide to obey the law you won't be caught going down at 100 km/h on a 90 km/h road where the speed camera is on the bottom of the hill.

A different chassis will give you slightly more traction. 4x2 is okay, but heavier loads will tax it. 6x2-4 has the best maneuverability. 6x4 gives you the best control over your truck. By that I mean you can be going at 140 km/h and do a sharp turn and it will be really hard to completely lose control of your truck. Of course all of these come with a cost. 6x4 has the smallest fuel tank. You'll be stopping for gas much more often. 4x2 has a huge tank, but don't you want to have the best stuff?

Gotcha; I got a better engine, but I'm only seeing 2 transmissions and neither seems to have retarder, so it may be my truck can't have those? I guess better trucks have better upgrade options?

I'll just keep driving in the meanwhile.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Gotcha; I got a better engine, but I'm only seeing 2 transmissions and neither seems to have retarder, so it may be my truck can't have those? I guess better trucks have better upgrade options?

I'll just keep driving in the meanwhile.

Retarder transmissions are marked with an "R".

In ETS2 they are unlocked from the start, but in ATS they have a level requirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I'm not sure why they're in ATS at all, especially since they fixed the smart cruise control to work properly with an engine brake.

Then again, there are a lot of things in ATS that only exist because the developers have obviously never driven in the US. It's a pretty small number, really, but they are there.