Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

WASDF posted:

It's just a really scummy seeming act. I doubt "RSD' requisitoned the picture discs, but I can imagine they were slapped together real quick, had some dude graphic design up some unique but iconic Bowie pop-art and press these juust in time for RSD season. Plus, are really any of these records too hard to find among their pressings?

Again, bound to happen eventually, but my favorite physical musical memorabilia enemy made the first move so I'm taking my HAHAs when I can get them. But I was under the impression there were more than just these two so maybe not so bad.

I would suggest you look at the record companies who actually own the license to this music, and not Record Store Day. I mean, seriously, there's been a Bowie release at almost every other RSD. He and his business partners clearly had no problem with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

But now he's DEAD and that means SHAMELESS CASH GRABS are DESTROYING HIS LEGACY

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

a worthy uhh posted:

But now he's DEAD and that means SHAMELESS CASH GRABS are DESTROYING HIS LEGACY

YEAH! Everytime an artist dies we should round up every single release they have made and destroy all of them.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009

WASDF posted:

It's just a really scummy seeming act. I doubt "RSD' requisitoned the picture discs, but I can imagine they were slapped together real quick, had some dude graphic design up some unique but iconic Bowie pop-art and press these juust in time for RSD season. Plus, are really any of these records too hard to find among their pressings?

Again, bound to happen eventually, but my favorite physical musical memorabilia enemy made the first move so I'm taking my HAHAs when I can get them. But I was under the impression there were more than just these two so maybe not so bad.

They've been doing this since at least 2012 so I'm not sure what the problem is.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Some things are sacred.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

WASDF posted:

Do you have any evidence that this actually happened? It seems fairly likely that a record store day release would have been planned and then completed quite a while ago, like when he was still alive.

Spam
Nov 28, 2010
They can pump out a million lovely Bowie 7"s if it leads to Low and Lodger represses for all I care.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Isn't the lead time to print vinyl something like 6 months or so, due to the growing demand and relatively small number of record manufacturers? This stuff would have been prepared well before anyone knew he was on his way out.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
For the first timers, how does RSD work? Do you have to show up when the doors open to get anything good?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Peas and Rice posted:

For the first timers, how does RSD work? Do you have to show up when the doors open to get anything good?

Depending on where you live, yes. Here in Chicago/surrounding area it's a complete Black Friday clusterfuck where people line up 4 hours before the stores open. Then, if the store doesn't have/doesn't enforce a one-per-customer rule, some assholes will buy up everything.

Record Store Day sucks

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Peas and Rice posted:

Step one: Look at the list of items and complain.

Step two: Go to the store to buy a bunch of it anyway and complain.

Step three: Mention which items you weren't able to get and complain.

Step four: Look on ebay at the inflated prices of the items you wanted and complain.

Step five: Mention how you're never doing it again and complain.

Step six: Wait until next year to complain again.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

CPL593H posted:

Step one: Look at the list of items and complain.

Step two: Go to the store to buy a bunch of it anyway and complain.

Step three: Mention which items you weren't able to get and complain.

Step four: Look on ebay at the inflated prices of the items you wanted and complain.

Step five: Mention how you're never doing it again and complain.

Step six: Wait until next year to complain again.

This sounds tailor-made for me.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
It largely depends on how good your shop is. If they limit to one copy per customer and spread it out throughout the store you can meet some cool people and have a good time talking about what overpriced reissue you want that will eventually get released in six months in a standard format. If it's just one bin the ebay flipper can spend his whole time there, grab the "good" stuff, and leave you emptyhanded.

I'm still kind of mad I bought the Deja Entendu release on ebay after the fact.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Schremp Howard posted:

It largely depends on how good your shop is. If they limit to one copy per customer and spread it out throughout the store you can meet some cool people and have a good time talking about what overpriced reissue you want that will eventually get released in six months in a standard format. If it's just one bin the ebay flipper can spend his whole time there, grab the "good" stuff, and leave you emptyhanded.

I'm still kind of mad I bought the Deja Entendu release on ebay after the fact.

I really like the idea of hiding the stuff in the stacks but that probably doesn't end well for everyone

The store I went to at opening last year handed out numbers and then you would queue up to go through the rsd bins, I think they had a 1 coy of each per rule but you still saw the first people in line just grab 1 of everything.

All the stores I went to though has really good live music, I even got to see they might be giants do a short set on a tiny stage with 4 to 5 times as many people as should be in that store.

Lungs
Dec 20, 2005

Probably my best charity shop score ever. First pressing of Neu! 2 for €2. Nestled in between The Vienna Choir Boys and a compilation of German drinking songs.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Preorders up for a reissue of Wolf Parade's Apologies to the Queen Mary. Includes their self titled EP as well.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I'm surprised and sort of not to have bought a copy of Pet Sounds new in a store that Discogs has little information on. Like, there's nearly 50 pressings just on vinyl of that album but looking at the release windows for the others around what's probably the same time (2012-2015) why and when would this one have been released, and why? I could stumble upon some Pynchon-like conspiracy just by looking at the matrix numbers.

https://www.discogs.com/The-Beach-Boys-Pet-Sounds/release/8167333

edit:

This is more music history, but does anyone know why Sloop John B and Caroline, No are in white on the album cover? It must mean something.

WASDF fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 8, 2016

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

WASDF posted:

This is more music history, but does anyone know why Sloop John B and Caroline, No are in white on the album cover? It must mean something.

They had already been released when the album came out.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Lungs posted:

Probably my best charity shop score ever. First pressing of Neu! 2 for €2. Nestled in between The Vienna Choir Boys and a compilation of German drinking songs.

good poo poo, dude. nice find

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Here's the list of US releases for Record Store Day 2016 in convenient(?) PDF form:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/recordstoreday/2016/2016_RSD_PUBLIC.pdf

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Awesome, absolutely nothing interests me this year. Well, that's not entirely true, that DCFC cover of "Tractor Rape Chain" is great, but nowhere near vital enough to wake up at 5 a.m. on a weekend for.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Wait, the new J Dilla album is RSD only? It's the long lost MCA album finally getting a full release

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Aside from the first Go! Team album (which doesn't specify if it's the original version or the re-recorded due to legal advice version), there's nothing on that list that I'd even consider lining up for. Bit sad compared to previous years.

Also lol at the Flaming Lips box set of all their most disappointing albums.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Creature posted:

Aside from the first Go! Team album (which doesn't specify if it's the original version or the re-recorded due to legal advice version), there's nothing on that list that I'd even consider lining up for. Bit sad compared to previous years.

I wouldn't exactly call Embryonic and The Terror disappointing but I also don't see the point in them releasing a box set of their readily available recent albums when the first set was all poo poo that had been out of print for years.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Creature posted:

Embryonic and Mystics are great :shrug:

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

interpunct posted:

Here's the list of US releases for Record Store Day 2016 in convenient(?) PDF form:

This list gets worse every year

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Supposedly that box set is 2008-present, so if that's true At War With the Mystics isn't even included.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

interpunct posted:

Jay Reatard - Blood Visions 10th Anniversary is the only thing that has me interested

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove
actually think I'll pick up the mew - and the glass handed kites LP. Pretty solid album if you like proggy stuff (but still very poppy) J Mascis has a guest vocal appearance.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

CPL593H posted:

Supposedly that box set is 2008-present, so if that's true At War With the Mystics isn't even included.

It's listed in the item description.

quote:

This Record Store Day eight LP box includes the albums At War With The Mystics, Christmas On Mars, Embryonic, The Dark Side Of The Moon, The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends and is limited to 4000 copies.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

That Disturbed - Sound of Silence picture disc looks pretty badass

Brutal

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Considering they're selling a Nick Cave vinyl figure on the RSD website, I'm surprised there's no Nick Cave on that list.

That being said, the Requiem for a Dream soundtrack is kind of interesting - it's one of my favorite soundtracks, although I'm not sure I'd actually listen to it enough to warrant what I'm sure will be a premium pricetag.

I'd totally buy one of the Bowie Man Who Sold The World 12"'s though.

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove

Doctor Cave posted:

Brutal

the spindle going through the center will just look like another dumb piercing of his.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Doctor Cave posted:

Brutal

How old are you?

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

OK, I'll concede Mystics was a good album but everything afterwards paled in comparison. And I'm one of those idiots who bought the furry box edition of Embryonic and has Dark Side of the Moon on vinyl.

At least this set isn't being released in a loving gummi uterus or whatever.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

A human heart posted:

How old are you?

:thejoke:

That Metz / Mission of Burma split could be cool

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's listed in the item description.

That's actually not a terrible list, but it's still unnecessary because anyone who is likely to buy something like that probably already has most or all of those and they're not rare or anything.

Peas and Rice posted:

Considering they're selling a Nick Cave vinyl figure on the RSD website, I'm surprised there's no Nick Cave on that list.

That being said, the Requiem for a Dream soundtrack is kind of interesting - it's one of my favorite soundtracks, although I'm not sure I'd actually listen to it enough to warrant what I'm sure will be a premium pricetag.

I'd totally buy one of the Bowie Man Who Sold The World 12"'s though.

Why not just buy the readily available Man Who $old the World reissue that just dropped and is probably half the price and also doesn't sound like a picture disc?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

CPL593H posted:

Why not just buy the readily available Man Who $old the World reissue that just dropped and is probably half the price and also doesn't sound like a picture disc?

I ... didn't know it existed. Thank you.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Creature posted:

OK, I'll concede Mystics was a good album but everything afterwards paled in comparison. And I'm one of those idiots who bought the furry box edition of Embryonic and has Dark Side of the Moon on vinyl.

At least this set isn't being released in a loving gummi uterus or whatever.

This right here is the real miracle. I'm amazed Wayne found the time to sign off on it between hawking his girlfriend's garbage etsy poo poo and getting hosed up with Miley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Peas and Rice posted:

I ... didn't know it existed. Thank you.

They just put out all the albums from the Five Years box set (with the exception of Santa Monica '72 and that rarities disc) as individual releases.