Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Kild posted:

What do you think Pariston is?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Pariston doesn't even have nen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

paristons secret is he's a stand user.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Kild posted:

What do you think Pariston is?

I can believe that Pariston is just naturally that gifted at undermining people. But I can still believe him being an enhancement user.

Bad Seafood posted:

You can, as is demonstrated several times in the series proper, but that still won't stop legalists from insisting on sharp, strict, definitive divisions just because the power system appears regimented on a surface reading.
Which is weird because during York Shin or Greed island they talk about how a characters can "lean" towards an adjacent nen category on the graph. (I think the example was emissions leaning towards Enhancement). They you have people like Pakunoda who clearly use two different categories for their abilities (Conjuration and Manipulation) in the big, Nen ability heavy arcs. Even a surface reading shows that multiple skillsets are needed to have a balanced, and useful nen ability and it's the people who stick to one camp exclusively that fall off.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Brought To You By posted:

Which is weird because during York Shin or Greed island they talk about how a characters can "lean" towards an adjacent nen category on the graph. (I think the example was emissions leaning towards Enhancement). They you have people like Pakunoda who clearly use two different categories for their abilities (Conjuration and Manipulation) in the big, Nen ability heavy arcs. Even a surface reading shows that multiple skillsets are needed to have a balanced, and useful nen ability and it's the people who stick to one camp exclusively that fall off.

Pakunoda uses Specialization though, where Specialization is defined as "breaks the rules."

But yeah, we even see Biscuit go out of her way to train Gon in three different adjacent categories to make him more balanced.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I don't remember that in Yorknew, but in Greed Island Biscuit mentions Gon being an Enhancer with a lean towards Emission I believe, based on how well he took to it versus Transmutation, the other Enhancement-adjacent one.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
togashi fully embraces the frank reynolds lifestyle

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Clarste posted:

Pakunoda uses Specialization though, where Specialization is defined as "breaks the rules."

But yeah, we even see Biscuit go out of her way to train Gon in three different adjacent categories to make him more balanced.
The specialization aspects of her abilities are her Psychometry and her ability to share her memories but she's still conjuring the gun. Chrollo is the same way in that he can conjure a book, but his thief ability is the specialization component. I'd be interested to know if Pakunoda's memory reading started off as a related manipulation ability though, that same arc Kurapika's mentor talks about how conjurers and manipulators have a chance to develop specialization abilities down the line.

Roland Jones posted:

I don't remember that in Yorknew, but in Greed Island Biscuit mentions Gon being an Enhancer with a lean towards Emission I believe, based on how well he took to it versus Transmutation, the other Enhancement-adjacent one.
That's what I was remembering.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Clarste posted:

It's also implied and shown that the strongest Nen users work their "lesser" categories into their own style, not in the sense of Gon's Jajanken but like how Zeno's Dragon Dive is a combo skill, Netero's... everything is a combination of Emission and Manipulation, Biscuit's masseuse's are a triple type combo etc. which loops back to "sticking with one type limits your potential".

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Eej posted:

It's also implied and shown that the strongest Nen users work their "lesser" categories into their own style, not in the sense of Gon's Jajanken but like how Zeno's Dragon Dive is a combo skill, Netero's... everything is a combination of Emission and Manipulation, Biscuit's masseuse's are a triple type combo etc. which loops back to "sticking with one type limits your potential".

This makes me wonder, why is Netero's thing a mix of Emission and Manipulation, but Zeno's first dragon skill (the one where he controls the dragon) a mix of Transmutation and Manipulation? Why is making his aura into a dragon considered Transmutation (and the same applies to Gon's Scissors), but Netero making his aura into that Buddha thing is just Emission (or at least doesn't have a Transmutation aspect to it)? Or are you just speculating about the Buddha thing using Emission?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Zeno's first dragon skill is just straight Transmutation because he's changing his aura into the form of a Dragon that deals damage through contact. Netero's Buddha is considered Emission because it's an object made of aura that isn't directly attached to his body's aura and he isn't changing his aura to have the properties of "A Buddha" and he uses Manipulation to actually move the construct.

Dragon Dive is Transmutation (turn aura into a Dragon) + Emission (allow aura to function when detached from body).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Eej posted:

Zeno's first dragon skill is just straight Transmutation because he's changing his aura into the form of a Dragon that deals damage through contact. Netero's Buddha is considered Emission because it's an object made of aura that isn't directly attached to his body's aura and he isn't changing his aura to have the properties of "A Buddha" and he uses Manipulation to actually move the construct.

Dragon Dive is Transmutation (turn aura into a Dragon) + Emission (allow aura to function when detached from body).

That makes sense if Zeno's dragon skill inherently does damage on contact and doesn't do damage through stuff like "hitting someone hard" or "having sharp teeth." But if it's the latter, I'm not sure how "forms a dragon out of aura that hurts people when it slams into people and cuts them with its teeth" is different from "forms a buddha out of aura that hurts people when it slams into people with its hands." So I guess I'm wondering why the dragon thing is considered transmutation, since both it and the Buddha thing are giving tangible form to aura but the dragon thing doesn't seem to be giving any extra properties to the aura (like Killua's electricity or Hisoka's stickiness/bounciness).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Making nen sharp enough to cut is considered Transmutation (ie: Gon's Scissors attack), so I guess it might.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
"I've got it, I'm going to make a dragon with my nen."
"You're gonna create a nen beast that's a dragon? That's cool."
"No, man, my nen is literally gonna be a dragon."
"Zeno that doesn't make sense."
"gently caress you I hope someone pays me to kill you."

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I mean Silva is a Transmuter whose special ability is to turn his aura into balls of kill

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
"Dad I've got it."
"What is it son."
"I'm going to transmute my aura into balls."
"That's balls to the walls crazy. Where did I go wrong raising you."
"How about you look at your stupid dragons."
"DRAGONS ARE COOL."
"THEY'RE NOT SOMETHING YOU CAN JUST TRANSMUTE DAD."
"Goddamn kids. My grandkid better be able to turn his nen into something cool, like fire or lightning, or I'm kicking him out."

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

That makes sense if Zeno's dragon skill inherently does damage on contact and doesn't do damage through stuff like "hitting someone hard" or "having sharp teeth." But if it's the latter, I'm not sure how "forms a dragon out of aura that hurts people when it slams into people and cuts them with its teeth" is different from "forms a buddha out of aura that hurts people when it slams into people with its hands." So I guess I'm wondering why the dragon thing is considered transmutation, since both it and the Buddha thing are giving tangible form to aura but the dragon thing doesn't seem to be giving any extra properties to the aura (like Killua's electricity or Hisoka's stickiness/bounciness).

Getting hit with someone else's aura will hurt you regardless of the form it takes (see Heaven's Arena arc). So the transmutation aspect for Zeno is probably purely cosmetic, he's not giving his dragons any extra properties he's just hitting people with his raw aura molded into a rough shape.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Getting hit with someone else's aura will hurt you regardless of the form it takes (see Heaven's Arena arc). So the transmutation aspect for Zeno is probably purely cosmetic, he's not giving his dragons any extra properties he's just hitting people with his raw aura molded into a rough shape.

I'm pretty sure that's only true if you don't have Nen (or have extremely weak Nen). If you want to hurt a Nen user you need to give it extra oomph.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Genocyber posted:

I'm pretty sure that's only true if you don't have Nen (or have extremely weak Nen). If you want to hurt a Nen user you need to give it extra oomph.

The concept is still the same, just in that case your offensive output must exceed the defensive output of your opponent for your aura attack to do damage. I guess my point was that Zeno's dragon heads don't have to have any physical properties applied to them like "Sharp Teeth" or "Blunt force" as far as transmutation goes. He just uses it to give them a shape that fits his personality and the rest of their oomph comes from his large reservoir of aura.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yeah but in that case why isn't Netero's ability also considered Transmutation? I mean, he is also giving his aura a certain shape.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah but in that case why isn't Netero's ability also considered Transmutation? I mean, he is also giving his aura a certain shape.

He's not changing the properties of it. He's just emitting a statue and enhancing the blows while manipulating with complicated hand movements. Transmuters change their aura into something else or change properties of it like making it sharper or something like that. Netero is just hitting them with a mass of Nen shaped like a Buddha statue so it's not the same.

Goddamn why is Emission always the issue. It's feels like it's supposed to be simple like Enhancement and then it can do all this poo poo that gets confused for other categories very easily.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I can't find anything that states specifically that it is considered transmutation, but it could be argued that any instance of giving aura an image, no matter to what degree counts as Transmutation.

Asuron posted:

He's not changing the properties of it. He's just emitting a statue and enhancing the blows while manipulating with complicated hand movements. Transmuters change their aura into something else or change properties of it like making it sharper or something like that. Netero is just hitting them with a mass of Nen shaped like a Buddha statue so it's not the same.

I was going to say something like this but then Zeno becomes a problem. If he's not adding any properties to his dragons and is only creating the form them then what separates him from Netero and we've come full circle.

Asuron posted:

Goddamn why is Emission always the issue. It's feels like it's supposed to be simple like Enhancement and then it can do all this poo poo that gets confused for other categories very easily.
Yeah. I think it's just because Togashi wanted people to have interesting looks to their powers and emissions at it's core just leaves you with everyone spamming projectiles like Dragon Ball Z unless you allow for creativity.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Mar 9, 2016

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

I can't find anything that states specifically that it is considered transmutation, but it could be argued that any instance of giving aura an image, no matter to what degree counts as Transmutation.

I was going to say something like this but then Zeno becomes a problem. If he's not adding any properties to his dragons and is only creating the form them then what separates him from Netero and we've come full circle.

The transmutation part of his ability is when he fights Chrollo where he is actively controlling the movement, increasing the range by transmuting the aura and transmuting the teeth to make it sharper.

When he separates his dragon to do transmutation abilities, it isn't shown as being particularly strong, his Dragon Dive was only even really considered a distraction so they could enter the castle, that's how weak it was in comparison to his previous ability. He clearly has emission parts of ability and can control the Dragon away from his body, but that's not what he actually uses for combat, it seems more like a utility tool rather than something he's going to use against strong opponents . In that scenario it's purely cosmetic and it's considered very weak in comparison to when he actually controls it with his hand because it's just a blast of Nen shaped like a dragon with no other additional properties.

So basically when he throws it out in Dragon Dive or flys around on it, it's like Neteros ability, but when he controls it with his hand it falls under transmutation.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Mar 9, 2016

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Asuron posted:

The transmutation part of his ability is when he fights Chrollo where he is actively controlling the movement, increasing the range by transmuting the aura and transmuting the teeth to make it sharper.

When he separates his dragon to do transmutation abilities, it isn't shown as being particularly strong, his Dragon Dive was only even really considered a distraction so they could enter the castle, that's how weak it was in comparison to his previous ability. He clearly has emission parts of ability and can control the Dragon away from his body, but that's not what he actually uses for combat, it seems more like a utility tool rather than something he's going to use against strong opponents . In that scenario it's purely cosmetic and it's considered very weak in comparison to when he actually controls it with his hand because it's just a blast of Nen shaped like a dragon with no other additional properties.

So basically when he throws it out in Dragon Dive or flys around on it, it's like Neteros ability, but when he controls it with his hand it falls under transmutation.

I don't disagree but when he's moving the dragon head while it's still attached to his body shouldn't that ping as "Manipulation with the restriction that his hands and feet must be used"?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
"How is grandpa floating in the air, dad?"
"That's his Dragon Dive, Killua. He thinks his nen is a dragon."
"I don't see any dragon, what are you talking about."
"Go to the Heaven's Tower and don't you come back until you learn nen."
"O...kay..."

And Killua did not learn nen.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

I don't disagree but when he's moving the dragon head while it's still attached to his body shouldn't that ping as "Manipulation with the restriction that his hands and feet must be used"?

Manipulation is for objects or other living creatures. You can change the shape of and move your aura all you want (Bisky with her numbers, Pitou lengthening its En by stretching it's aura's shape) and Transmuters just get to go further with how much they can alter their aura.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

I imagine it could be a part of it, but he pays for the ability weakness by having it restricted to hand movements alone.

Hell I always though the guy was an Emitter and then the data book said he was a transmuter, so I'm basically thinking that every ability he does is used for utility or has restrictions so he can use them effectively. I think Togashi just wanted cool dragon abilities on Zeno, but didn't really think his rules through like he did for other characters, so we're left trying to figure out what kind of restrictions or weaknesses he has to have to compensate for operating abilities outside of his wheelhouse

Eej posted:

Manipulation is for objects or other living creatures. You can change the shape of and move your aura all you want (Bisky with her numbers, Pitou lengthening its En by stretching it's aura's shape) and Transmuters just get to go further with how much they can alter their aura.

This is probably the correct answer though.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
If you have personalized abilities that suit you, they become stronger. If zeno really wants a dragon, and he jumps through enough hoops to do it, its gonna work out. Even castro was pretty strong, even though his ability was dumb af

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Bungee Gum is transmutation but Hisoka throws it all over the place. Same with his other ability.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The biggest difference between Zeno's Dragon and Netero's power is that the Dragon does not separate from Zeno's body. When it does he is using emission.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Eej posted:

I mean Silva is a Transmuter whose special ability is to turn his aura into balls of kill

Silva Zoaldyeck underwent rigorous ball torture from a young age to develop this affinity.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Man, that part where Ponzu gets killed is pretty brutal.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ytlaya posted:

What got me was how abrupt it was. Her whole team's either been killed or captured, she's betting it all on anyone to help her and Pokkle, she sends off the message, we assume that Gon and co. will get it and help her and then BLAM.

Dead.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I like how it's not even an anime power or anything. She just gets loving shot.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

The Biggest baddie in the series so far didn't get beaten because of some anime fighting magics but a nuclear bomb and that's why this series owns

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Butt Ghost posted:

I like how it's not even an anime power or anything. She just gets loving shot.

It sucks too since there's a chance of Pokkle being reincarnated as an Ant since he got eaten. There's no chance of that with Ponzu considering how she died.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Ponzu was cool and I wish she hadn't gone out like that

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Yeah, their team getting destroyed like that was another way of showing how high the stakes were getting, but goddamn.

Allarion posted:

It sucks too since there's a chance of Pokkle being reincarnated as an Ant since he got eaten. There's no chance of that with Ponzu considering how she died.

Pokkle had a chance because he was eaten by the Queen. Ponzu got eaten by a "normal" ant, who wasn't going to be laying any eggs. She wasn't coming back, shot to death or not.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Schubalts posted:

Yeah, their team getting destroyed like that was another way of showing how high the stakes were getting, but goddamn.

Pokkle had a chance because he was eaten by the Queen. Ponzu got eaten by a "normal" ant, who wasn't going to be laying any eggs. She wasn't coming back, shot to death or not.

Bonolenov at least crushed that ant.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
http://www.shonenjump.com/p/sp/1603/hxh/

HxH is back, not sure when, it says "check the March 19th (Sat) release of Weekly Shonen Jump #16!"

See you in 2 months when y'all are sad again.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
GOD EXISTS AND HE IS CRUEL.