Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
But he is, though? He becomes less focused after he goes through his arc early in the game, but he's a useful team member and figures a few key things before others and stuff.

FFXII is really an ensemble story, where each character gets the focus at different times. I like it alot, although I've yet to finish it (I play it in burst).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Go Ridley, go!

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Oh, come on, let's not pretend we all wouldn't poo poo our pants if we saw the Alien crab walk toward us like that.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

lizardman posted:

Oh, come on, let's not pretend we all wouldn't poo poo our pants if we saw the Alien crab walk toward us like that.

Luckily movies aren't real life.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I get the idea behind it. Prior to that you never actually see the alien move. It's always static until it appears suddenly. The crab walk is so fundamentally strange and offputting that it underlines how alien and unbelievable this creature is. Except that it just can't sell it because it looks so fuckin' goofy and it's a good thing they cut it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tenzarin posted:

Go Ridley, go!

I love this walk.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Tenzarin posted:

Go Ridley, go!

Ah, so Alien was really just a plagiarism of The Exorcist?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't know, seeing the alien walk all awkwardly like that just makes it more scary to me for some reason. Like it doesn't give a gently caress about looking cool or powerful, it will move how it wants because it's an unstoppable killing machine.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I thought it was creepy because of how childish the crabwalk is followed immediately by the Alien doing unspeakable things to Parker.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, I think it added to this idea that the alien was a new born child still figuring out its environment and the meat bag toy things around it. It's born, explores a bit, kills for fun/curiosity then has a nap. That's the story of alien.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The concept is great but it really does look dumb and not intimidating at all in the scene itself, I'm glad they didn't use it. They sort of played with the idea when Fifield gets up weirdly in Prometheus.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

They were going for something creepy and unnatural looking, and it didn't work out. Like the Exorcist "spiderwalk" Immortan alludes to above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnxAnDcysvk&t=72s

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

That one is disturbing, SMG. Thanks!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Google "Alien 3 whippet" for a good laugh at that production test.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

MrMojok posted:

That one is disturbing, SMG. Thanks!

XTRO is really good fuckin' watch it.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Google "Alien 3 whippet" for a good laugh at that production test.

I give them credit for a good idea. Let's slap Larry's yellow lab in full Alien makeup and have him run around, moving in a way that human joints do not work and adding a layer of unfamiliarity and weirdness. The problem is that the body language of a dog is so inherently familiar to a majority of human beings on this word so it just looked kinda :3:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The Alien 3 Director's Cut is a great Easter movie and I hope I can talk people into watching it for the holiday. Children of Men is the modern Christmas movie.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

McDowell posted:

Children of Men Prometheus is the modern Christmas movie.

ftfy

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Wild T posted:

I give them credit for a good idea. Let's slap Larry's yellow lab in full Alien makeup and have him run around, moving in a way that human joints do not work and adding a layer of unfamiliarity and weirdness. The problem is that the body language of a dog is so inherently familiar to a majority of human beings on this word so it just looked kinda :3:
It's not really a bad idea as such, if they'd gotten a different kind of dog and not literally the most timid, terrified and shaky little whippet in the world it might've been an okay shot if lit properly and stuff. I imagine they were after the type of full-on greyhound sprint dogs do and not the twitchy skittering the dog did in the shot.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I am not sure why they thought they even needed full-body shots of the alien when they frankly didn't have the technology to make it look right and they managed to not really have to do it in two far superior movies, but then again this one was written by committee by all reports. What we ended up with when they did full shots here just looked bad. The alien is almost never walking around on-screen in our first two movies, true--because it gives away that it's a guy in a suit. To put it mildly, they didn't solve that problem in Alien 3.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The alien is almost never walking around on-screen in our first two movies, true--because it gives away that it's a guy in a suit. To put it mildly, they didn't solve that problem in Alien 3.

True, I can't think of a single instance in Alien or Aliens where you see the xeno walk around, or even just standing upright. Its always either hanging from something, standing off-camera, in zero gravity, or skittering on a ceiling. The closest is probably the shot of it reaching for Dallas in the air duct, but its just crouching in that shot.

The Queen of course is a completely different beast. That thing is the best movie prop ever designed.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The alien stands to full height near the end of Alien when it's killing Parker and murder-raping Lambert, and even then they don't really move it around.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The alien stands to full height near the end of Alien when it's killing Parker and murder-raping Lambert, and even then they don't really move it around.

Its mostly off-screen though isn't it? Like, you see the tail swishing around and then there's a shot of the mouth but you don' t ever get the full body shot. Maybe I'm misremembering.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The alien slowly moves toward Lambert after it kills Parker.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
You're all part right. You see the Alien 'walking' but it's not a full-body shot (you can't see it's legs).

I think the closest thing we get to a full-body shot of the Alien standing upright is a very quick one (I believe in the Parker/Lambert attack but it could have been the scene with Brett) where the creature is rising from a crouching position.

And, of course, the infamous shots at the end where it's being blown out of the airlock where everyone is like, "oh it's just a guy in a suit!"

EDIT: I'm reminded of that episode of the Nickelodeon cartoon Doug, where the main character is frightened to death of a sci-fi horror movie called "The Abnormal" until he reaches the end and he can see the zipper on the monster's costume. I always suspected this was riffing on the end of Alien (even if "The Abnormal" appears to be a mish-mash of The Hidden and The Thing).

lizardman fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 8, 2016

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Where's this from?

E: never mind found it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

To put it mildly, they didn't solve that problem in Alien 3.

I really love the part where she thinks she sees it sleeping and strikes it but it's just some pipe and the it's above and behind her and sort of reaches out weirdly. Even though it's a suit little bits like that or the part where it rips open the guy whose blood gets splattered over Golic's face look great. But then when Ripley and Charles S. Dutton are grappling with it at the end whyyyyy.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

I really love the part where she thinks she sees it sleeping and strikes it but it's just some pipe and the it's above and behind her and sort of reaches out weirdly.

Could you post a clip or screencap of this? I remember the scene but I must not have noticed or don't remember the alien actually being in the shot.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Could you post a clip or screencap of this? I remember the scene but I must not have noticed or don't remember the alien actually being in the shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmF_IO6Aiag

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I love that scene because it shows you the world through ripleys eyes for a moment

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Alien 3 had just the coolest looking Alien design and the suit looked fantastic, even if it didn't match the rod puppet like, at all. Smooth dome all the way, gently caress Aliens and its ridged dome alien designs.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Stare-Out posted:

Alien 3 had just the coolest looking Alien design and the suit looked fantastic, even if it didn't match the rod puppet like, at all. Smooth dome all the way, gently caress Aliens and its ridged dome alien designs.
I'm a big fan of the ridged head design from 'Aliens', but the monster suit that ADI did for 'Alien3' is amazing and I really like that design, too.

NECA did a *huge* figure of the Alien3 design recently and it's goddamn amazing. If you're a fan of the Alien3 design, you owe it to yourself to pick this thing up.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I was looking at that thing on amazon and in the past they didn't ship things to my neck of the woods, so I went to look why that was by going to the checkout with it and...

It should arrive before April 11th :swoon:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

lizardman posted:

You're all part right. You see the Alien 'walking' but it's not a full-body shot (you can't see it's legs).

I think the closest thing we get to a full-body shot of the Alien standing upright is a very quick one (I believe in the Parker/Lambert attack but it could have been the scene with Brett) where the creature is rising from a crouching position.

And, of course, the infamous shots at the end where it's being blown out of the airlock where everyone is like, "oh it's just a guy in a suit!"

EDIT: I'm reminded of that episode of the Nickelodeon cartoon Doug, where the main character is frightened to death of a sci-fi horror movie called "The Abnormal" until he reaches the end and he can see the zipper on the monster's costume. I always suspected this was riffing on the end of Alien (even if "The Abnormal" appears to be a mish-mash of The Hidden and The Thing).

OMG, in the vents in alien. THE ALIEN WAS CRAB WALKING.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Thanks. I guess I need to watch the whole thing again, it's been many years. Funny that I remember the fake out but not the real alien.. for some reason I was expecting it to be hidden in the background, moving, but never seen by Ripley.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Clearly the best design :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I love Aliens but the smooth design is so much loving better than the ridged design. The latter isn't bad at all and it plays well in the film but the classic design is just aces.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SirDrone posted:

Clearly the best design :v:

Your picture is so small I cant even tell what movie it is from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tenzarin posted:

Your picture is so small I cant even tell what movie it is from.

Looks like uhhhh....Carnosaur maybe?