Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
They have a Steam demo? They probably didn't need the Kickstarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Dominic White posted:

The demo is up on Steam now.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/450220/

The challenge mode needs a leaderboard. Catch the Devil Daggers/streaming crowd. And then they can sell it on the back of people actually streaming and playing and praising it.

Had an incredible amount of fun with it for an hour. The Flak and Creepers have that fun feel to them, and all the 'classic' weapons still got the fantastic goodness.

I like the little details like the robots flickering when you hit em. Few things more satisfying than slamming a fully charged thunderbolt through a charging digger.

Can't wait to see where they take this. To me, the potential is staggering. I don't wanna get my hopes up too high, though...

Could it be the Descent 3 we never had?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I have begin my saga into nu-thief. I don't think I've ever seen a series completely miss what made its predecessors great, well, EVER.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I was dumb and bought it at full price.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Klaus88 posted:

I have begin my saga into nu-thief. I don't think I've ever seen a series completely miss what made its predecessors great, well, EVER.

Doom 3 did a pretty good attempt at Missing The Point.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Overload's Challenge Mode on Easy is a little too much of the latter and nowhere near enough of the former. It showers you in pickups so much, I could theoretically have kept that up forever. Decided to call it quits after 401 kills; it was getting boring, and the framerate hitching was getting way too noticeable.

Like, okay, my fault for playing Easy, but c'mon, Easy Mode in other games is still a challenge.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Xenaero posted:

Had an incredible amount of fun with it for an hour. The Flak and Creepers have that fun feel to them, and all the 'classic' weapons still got the fantastic goodness.

I like the little details like the robots flickering when you hit em. Few things more satisfying than slamming a fully charged thunderbolt through a charging digger.

Can't wait to see where they take this. To me, the potential is staggering. I don't wanna get my hopes up too high, though...

Could it be the Descent 3 we never had?

I'm a bit confused about whether or not this get made regardless of the success of the kickstarter. It really seems like they have enough external funding that this was just a preorder type thing.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
Can anyone recommend some good megawads that are playable in GZDoom on lower-end PCs? I love finding new megawads to play with DRPG/DRLA and other gameplay mods but some of the more popular ones have 200+ monsters in a single level and my current PC is an antiquated shitpile that shudders to a near-halt when that happens.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

RyokoTK posted:

doom 3 is also massively better than thief 4

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Thief 4 was like, at its very best, a low-budget Dishonored or something.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Traditional mode in Project Brutality is, surprisingly, really good. It actually has its own, entirely different weapon set from the regular mode. The weapons don't need to reload and are super loving loud and amazing. They're all a little overtuned against their vanilla counterparts, but it's balanced by the fact that you still get the progressively stronger enemies as the game goes on but you don't get higher-tier weapons, just your trusty Super Shotgun that sounds like a loving sonic boom. And the violence is so satisfying.

It's really cool that PB allows for so much customization, too. Not only can you disable any enemies that you don't want to see, but you can also disable a lot of monster behaviors you don't like. I think the Imps jumping on the ceiling look weird, so I turned that off, and I hate those goddamn teleporting Arch-Viles so those went away real fast. And you can do it all in game, which to me is the nicest part; no messing around with external files or some bullshit.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 8, 2016

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is Descent 3 hated that much? I remember having a lot of fun with it, despite every level being full of ridiculous garish colored lighting even by late-90s standards.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Alain Post posted:

That sounds good to me, I just finished Dishonored and loved it. Meanwhile I am completely awful at classic Thief, I got stuck on the second level of Thief 1. I suspect Thief 2 would be just as much of an issue. I got all four in a sale though.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

catlord posted:

That sounds good to me, I just finished Dishonored and loved it. Meanwhile I am completely awful at classic Thief, I got stuck on the second level of Thief 1. I suspect Thief 2 would be just as much of an issue. I got all four in a sale though.
It's at best Dishonored's retarded cousin. They should have just given Arkane a bunch if money to make it, they know how to give the people what they want.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

RyokoTK posted:

Eh, the parts were all there, they just got the proportions wildly off.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Simon The Digger posted:

Can anyone recommend some good megawads that are playable in GZDoom on lower-end PCs? I love finding new megawads to play with DRPG/DRLA and other gameplay mods but some of the more popular ones have 200+ monsters in a single level and my current PC is an antiquated shitpile that shudders to a near-halt when that happens.

Try using prBoom if you have a terrible PC, it helps with crazier enemy counts. (edit: just noticed your plugins, not sure if they will be compatible)

Also Scythe 1 & 2, Memento Mori 1 & 2, Whispers of Satan and Kama Sutra are all good.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Alain Post posted:

That's really odd to say since Dishonored is Thief with more magic.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Elliotw2 posted:

That's really odd to say since Dishonored is Thief with more magic.

The fact that its still true bodes poorly for thfourief

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

haveblue posted:

Is Descent 3 hated that much? I remember having a lot of fun with it, despite every level being full of ridiculous garish colored lighting even by late-90s standards.

It's been a long time for me, but Descent 3 seemed really ugly and charmless and strangely aesthetically divorced from the previous games. That's not to say that Descent 1 and 2 are beautiful games, but it's weird to think that I might actually prefer their appearance over their sequel.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It's been a long time for me, but Descent 3 seemed really ugly and charmless and strangely aesthetically divorced from the previous games. That's not to say that Descent 1 and 2 are beautiful games, but it's weird to think that I might actually prefer their appearance over their sequel.
I got jumped on way earlier in this thread for dismissing it, so the game definitely has its fans. I will say that I completely agree about its ugliness and also add that the game was incredibly buggy and crash prone for me on multiple different computers, and from what little I played of it, the controls seemed overcomplicated in a really offputting way. Like I don't know who's out there getting excited over the prospect of having to dedicate an entire section of their keyboard to controlling the guide bot, but it sure as hell isn't me.

Coincidentally, I was actually thinking of revisiting that game to see if I didn't give it a fair shake the first couple of times. Can somebody who's played that game explain what order you're supposed to install the patches in? Between the multiple patches for the base game, the expansion with associated patches and the complete lack of instructions for any of them I have no idea what's supposed to come before what, and am wondering if this is what caused the game to be such a mess beforehand.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I don't think there was any widespread critical panning of Descent 3 when it came out, because it was impressive at the time. The graphics were top-notch and it added more story and structure, which was still a novelty back then. In retrospect it probably doesn't fare too well. I still had some good times with it, though.

Anyway, the Overload demo is awesome. Everybody go try it.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Is it strange that I thought Overload was a little on the dark side (that is, not dark-themed, but literally dark)? Like, okay, Descent also got really dark at points, and that's what the flares were for, but by and large the main corridors were very brightly lit, while the main corridors in Overload seemed full of corners that were almost completely devoid of illumination.

But then, alpha product, so I guess judging it as if it were a final pass is incredibly unfair. Besides, it still looks pretty good.

Oh, and the game plays fantastically, barring a few performance niggles. (Just throwing that out there such that I'm not solely complaining about the game across two posts.)

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Play it with Pyromania installed at the very least you get the PyroGX and (mostly) classic weapons.

Personally, I found it really fun, but I never beat it vanilla, I always used Pyromania because it was simply more fun to me.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Pyromania is ridiculously hard. For me the most off-putting thing about Descent 3 is the enemy design. They all have stupid cutesy gimmicks to give them ~personality~ instead of being soulless industrial machines.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

haveblue posted:

Being forced to watch the trailer every time you install Baldur's Gate over the years gets tiring.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
DUMP2 is a go, for anyone from here who signed up. Goodluck!

Having played DUMP 1, it was alright. A pair of letdowns in the pack otherwise good to great all around. Excited to see what happens with Dump 2 considering it has over seventy people in it! :eyepop:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Shadow Hog posted:

Is it strange that I thought Overload was a little on the dark side (that is, not dark-themed, but literally dark)? Like, okay, Descent also got really dark at points, and that's what the flares were for, but by and large the main corridors were very brightly lit, while the main corridors in Overload seemed full of corners that were almost completely devoid of illumination.

You've got flares and a pretty powerful flashlight in Overload too.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I think I remember the highs from DUMP 1 more than I do the lows. Especially that cyan/purple stage. So pretty.

Although I do remember the final boss of it fairly clearly, and how I unloaded 100 Rockets and 600 Cells into him and he didn't show any signs of dying any time soon - so, after he promptly killed me thereafter, I just MDK'd him upon save reload, because by that point I was already so done with that fight.

Boss fights in first-/third-person shooting games are tricky, aren't they? Honestly, the only one that really stands out in my mind for being anything more than "shoot this hilariously spongy enemy" is Splatoon's final boss, where the boss itself doesn't take too much damage, it's just dealing with all the poo poo it flings at you while waiting for the opening to counterattack, with the appropriate build-up so you're prepared to take it all on. (Well, Cthon and Shub-Niggurath were more than "shoot this until it dies" boss fights too, I guess, although they weren't that interesting beyond the clever means of defeating them...)

Dominic White posted:

You've got flares and a pretty powerful flashlight in Overload too.
Well, yes, but you had flares in Descent as well and it was still brighter on average.

Though I did appreciate how powerful that headlight was. Flashlights in video games are so frequently nearly useless, limiting your vision to a tiny peephole, when in reality the light from a good flashlight would bounce around the room a bit after hitting whatever's being focused on, lighting up the surrounding area a bit as well. Only complaint was that it didn't seem to have any real downside to it; like, maybe it was draining Energy, but I couldn't tell. (I noticed flares were free to spam in the demo, too, with the only cost being your framerate tanking if you were an idiot and shot tons of them close to each other.)

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
The mechanics of FPS games even Doom just don't lend to wailing on one powerful enemy for a long time like shmups or character action games do. It's almost always better to drop a couple high tier enemies (cyberdemons) and a horde of chaff on the player. Although fighting a Garegga style boss with a bunch of destroyable parts that lead to different attacks could be really cool.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Why did I expect this to work? More importantly, WHY DID IT WORK!? :catstare:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dewgy posted:

wow dude i think you're going to face a war crimes tribunal over this

you were only supposed to send them back to their home planet

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

Their home planet is hell now. :unsmigghh:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

wow dude i think you're going to face a war crimes tribunal over this

CRUNCH AND POUR

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Dewgy posted:

I'm curious what you did. Is that Samsara? I immediately assumed it wasn't but I'm not so sure looking at it.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

CRUNCH AND POUR

YOU ARE HUGE, THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE FLAVOR!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Thi4f trip report.

Goat-women tits.

Goat-women tits

GOAT WOMAN TITS

Who in the name of gently caress thought that was a good idea

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

catlord posted:

I'm curious what you did. Is that Samsara? I immediately assumed it wasn't but I'm not so sure looking at it.

Both Brutal Doom and Samsara have that effect on Chex Quest.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Chexquest, real guns advanced and nashgore works as far as I remember. Probably best with 10x.wad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

catlord posted:

Brutal Doom, though I play BD with classic weapons because reloading in Doom is dumb.

I kind of wish Brutal Heretic and Hexen were real things. One can dream. :allears: